The demise of formal night

barbon2

Oh I don't think that it is absurd at all. I agree about the "give an inch and they take a yard" so to speak theory.

For this not to happen the cruise lines really need to step up to the plate. Relaxing the dress codes is one thing, turnng your back and letting everything be Ok is another. Once in awhile you have to say "S*** when you have a mouthful. Everyone is so worried about everyones itty bitty feelings that they spoil it for everyone.

You post a dress code , you make it known "smart casual " is the minimum accepted . You clearly state what is forbidden to be worn in the dining room at dinner and then you turn away anyone who walks in wearing that . FLEET WIDE....Every maitre"d in every dining , on every ship. And dare I say on every cruise line that has this problem.

You nicely tell them they are not allowed in the dining room in the bathing suit, sweat suit, wife beater whetever. Thats that! The person wants to complain to the Maitre D's superior they will be told the same thing.

They want to be insulted and vow never to cruise HAL again, well good luck. They aren't going to fair any better on Carnival, or Princess or Celebrity because they will have the same policy.

Sounds great and I'm all for it but the cruise lines don't like verbal altercations with the 'offendee's'. As Kryos would say " Trust me" some of those 'offenders' will completely flip out when taken to task!

Sounds great and I'm all for it but the cruise lines don't like verbal altercations with the 'offendee's'. As Kryos would say " Trust me" some of those 'offenders' will completely flip out when taken to task!

Oh I know they will flip out . I have been working with the public for many many years and God do I know there are "Flippers" *LOL*

But if the cruise lines want to maintain some resemblence of decorum they will have to rock the boat a little (No pun intended) :)

I would probbaly never make a good cruise line owner, I don't suffer fools gladly. :(

Without getting into commenting on the policing of existing standards I'd have to say we'd be sad to see the formal nights go away. It's a lovely part of a cruise for us and we enjoy it. We might be in the minority and that's unfortunately just a sign of the times. :( Might be that we'd stop packing the tux and the gowns if formal nights are stopped but since we usually cruise as part of our birthday/wedding anniversary celebrations we'll at least have some "dress up" clothes for at least one of the nights.

This is exactly what we noticed on our first HAL cruise. We saw very few tuxes and gowns on formal nights. We saw lots of suits, jackets/ties, dresses, nicer slacks outfits, etc.

For the casual evenings, we saw even more casual attire than I expected. Lots of Capri sets and Hawaiian shirts/Dockers.

I think it all depends on the cruise, though ... its length and itinerary. On longer cruises you are likely to see a lot more tuxes and gowns. But on seven to ten-day itineraries, especially the ones that attract a lot of families like Alaska and the Caribbean, you'll get a whole lot less formality.

That's been my observation anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I personally believe that formal nights are on the way out, or will become optional. I personally don't care what others do. If you like to dress, go for it. We're not taking along any formal wear, however, we do abide by the dress code. We'll dine in our cabin or in the Lido on formal nights. This isn't really an issue for us, nor are we trying to encourage HAL to discontinue formal nights.

Like you say, to each his own. :)

And at least to me, that's exactly the right attitude to have. Someone else on this thread posted that she likes to "gussy up" on the last night of the cruise. It makes her feel special and so she likes doing it. Hey, that's wonderful! I think she's got the right attitude too.

I never understood why some people on these boards get genuinely upset at the way cruise line dress codes are going. What's the problem? Do you have to dress down just because others are doing it? If you want to be formally dressed every night of the cruise, why not? I personally wouldn't care what others are wearing. No one's going to deny access to the dining room to someone who's "over" dressed.

So, if dressing formal is something one likes to do, I say go for it ... every night of the cruise if you want. You'll feel special, have a wonderful time, and personally, I think that a lot of those who don't bother dressing up will be looking at your nice duds with admiration.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm always surprised (maybe because I've only been a member on CC for a year and a half) when people CHOSE to book on a TRADITIONAL line KNOWING there is a dress code and then come on here and COMPLAIN about the dress code and INSULT those who respect and honor it.

Sure, we are free, but we make our choice when we book with HAL. We make the choice to abide by the standards of a TRADITIONAL cruise line. If you are not comfortable with that, many posts on this thread can point you in the direction of lines that would fit with the "cruise casual."

As many have said, HAL is not really any different from other "mass market" lines - except in its Traditional guidelines. So, why pick a line just to break the rules?

Dressing formal is something DH and I like to do. This is one of the reasons we picked HAL. If we DIDN'T like to dress formal, we would have found another line that would fit our lifestyle better. There are many to chose from. . .

See this is where I would definatly be complaining. I have always said I couldn't care less what others wear, but smell, especially BO just sickens me.

After too many years of being an EMT , I have seen things that would turn normal humans beings white. I can scrape goo and gore off of twisted metal and eat a sandwich at the same time, but I get a good whiff of something bad , it sticks in my nose and throat and just gags me.

I often read these threads while enjoying my lunch. I'm glad I wasn't today!;) Seriously, though, thank you for doing a job that few of us have the stomach for.

I'm always surprised (maybe because I've only been a member on CC for a year and a half) when people CHOSE to book on a TRADITIONAL line KNOWING there is a dress code and then come on here and COMPLAIN about the dress code and INSULT those who respect and honor it.

Sure, we are free, but we make our choice when we book with HAL. We make the choice to abide by the standards of a TRADITIONAL cruise line. If you are not comfortable with that, many posts on this thread can point you in the direction of lines that would fit with the "cruise casual."

As many have said, HAL is not really any different from other "mass market" lines - except in its Traditional guidelines. So, why pick a line just to break the rules?

Dressing formal is something DH and I like to do. This is one of the reasons we picked HAL. If we DIDN'T like to dress formal, we would have found another line that would fit our lifestyle better. There are many to chose from. . .

In response to your last comment, not all lines are in all markets. I have spent time in Europe and met many people from all walks of life. In general, they are like most Americans. There are people everywhere who take pride in their appearance and those that do not. None of the opinions expressed on this or any other thread will change that. In these economic times the cruise lines cannot afford to be independent. So, if it pleases you to dress up, do so. If you cannot abide by eating with people who aren't as well dressed as you, that is your problem. The idea of sending some people to their cabins like naughty children is abhorrent. Some people cannot afford formal clothes, for example, on our last HAL cruise we met a lovely couple whose children chipped in to buy a cruise for them (they were the elderly parents, who couldn't afford the cruise). Should they have been sent to their cabin because they couldn't afford formalwear? Should their experience have been lessened by the artificial needs of others to feel superior? Frankly most of the people on this board who are complaining sound insipid. People should wear what they feel is appropriate to the occasion and what they can afford. If I have offended anyone by my statements, you deserved it.

I'm always surprised when people book a mainstream line, and are then offended when other people dress to reflect the mainstream. :-)

I often read these threads while enjoying my lunch. I'm glad I wasn't today!;) Seriously, though, thank you for doing a job that few of us have the stomach for.

Well thank you very much, but I have been out of it quite a few years.

For the last 25 years I have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher , so I just have to listen to man's inhumanity to his fellow man instead of look at it (and smell it) :)

In response to your last comment, not all lines are in all markets. I have spent time in Europe and met many people from all walks of life. In general, they are like most Americans. There are people everywhere who take pride in their appearance and those that do not. None of the opinions expressed on this or any other thread will change that. In these economic times the cruise lines cannot afford to be independent. So, if it pleases you to dress up, do so. If you cannot abide by eating with people who aren't as well dressed as you, that is your problem. The idea of sending some people to their cabins like naughty children is abhorrent. Some people cannot afford formal clothes, for example, on our last HAL cruise we met a lovely couple whose children chipped in to buy a cruise for them (they were the elderly parents, who couldn't afford the cruise). Should they have been sent to their cabin because they couldn't afford formalwear? Should their experience have been lessened by the artificial needs of others to feel superior? Frankly most of the people on this board who are complaining sound insipid. People should wear what they feel is appropriate to the occasion and what they can afford. If I have offended anyone by my statements, you deserved it.

It doesn't take a great deal of money to dress according to HAL's dress code for Formal Night. For guys, all it takes is a sports jacket, a pair of dockers, a dress shirt, and a tie. For gals, it takes even less. Hence, the "afford" argument is a weak one in the extreme.

Oh I don't think that it is absurd at all. I agree about the "give an inch and they take a yard" so to speak theory.

For this not to happen the cruise lines really need to step up to the plate. Relaxing the dress codes is one thing, turnng your back and letting everything be Ok is another. Once in awhile you have to say "S*** when you have a mouthful. Everyone is so worried about everyones itty bitty feelings that they spoil it for everyone.

You post a dress code , you make it known "smart casual " is the minimum accepted . You clearly state what is forbidden to be worn in the dining room at dinner and then you turn away anyone who walks in wearing that . FLEET WIDE....Every maitre"d in every dining , on every ship. And dare I say on every cruise line that has this problem.

You nicely tell them they are not allowed in the dining room in the bathing suit, sweat suit, wife beater whetever. Thats that! The person wants to complain to the Maitre D's superior they will be told the same thing.

They want to be insulted and vow never to cruise HAL again, well good luck. They aren't going to fair any better on Carnival, or Princess or Celebrity because they will have the same policy.

See fun_seeker's post #162 for the problem with the above, and for why Copper is right.

I have just returned from the Eurodam and my thoughts are that the formal nights are slowly coming to an end.

I would say that perhaps 10% of the men had on a tux (my DH included in that 10%) and perhaps 30% of the woman were properly dressed on formal night. On the second formal night I actually felt that I was the ONE out of place wearing a gown. Most men had on either a suit or a vast number had on sport coats and slacks with a tie. Many of the women had on slacks and sweater sets that most would wear on a casual evening. Most of these outfits were in black so I assume that they felt this would suffice on formal night.

Rev Neil, you are correct that it doesn't take much money to make HAL happy, but there are some on the thread, including the OP, who want us to shell our for Tuxs and Gowns. I enjoy watching the people who dress up, but having my guy buy or rent a tux for our one cruise a year (if we are LUCKY) is a lot to ask. On formal nights he wears the sport coat and pants he got for our wedding. It's in our budget, he wears a tie, which makes me happy, and we feel dressed up. I choose to ignore the dirty looks others are sending our way. And Rev N. If he didn't own a coat it might be out of our budget to get him one. The cruise is spurge enough.

So, please be more understanding of other's choices, and feel free to give me dirty looks if we are in the dining room in shorts (no matter what night it is!) I appreciate that HAL has more decorum than Carnival.

Agreed! Sadly, some people will presume them to be dull, boring, and rude. :(

That post I was referring to brought a smile to my face. What a lovely way to finish out the cruise.

We've got many lovely pictures from formal nights on our first cruise. I love a man in a tux, and my hubby looked awesome! My boys grumbled, but they looked great. I didn't have to twist my daughter's arm, in fact, I had to twist it to keep her from taking too many gowns! lol

Hubby just doesn't want to dress for formal night this time, so I am going along with him. I've learned a long time ago to pick my battles, and I'm fine with this. I am just thrilled that he agreed to a 10-day cruise (which means I will start working on him for a B2B-but don't tell him this. :) )The great thing is HAL gives up good options for those formal nights. Hubby is a hermit anyway, so we'll go to the Lido or dine in our cabin, and enjoy the evening in our cabin (we're somewhat boring in that we just love to sit and drink a glass of wine and read-I know, we're on a cruise, but we don't do this all that often and it's something we like to do-so 3 nights of quiet reading time will be very enjoyable for us). And on the casual nights, we'll head to the dining room. We plan to honor the dress code, and HAL makes this quite easy for us to do this. The problem is what to bring for the cruise...we've both have bought tons of new things, but we're trying to not bring as many items and use the cleaning service on the ship.

Looking forward to meeting you on our cruise. :)

It doesn't take a great deal of money to dress according to HAL's dress code for Formal Night. For guys, all it takes is a sports jacket, a pair of dockers, a dress shirt, and a tie. For gals, it takes even less. Hence, the "afford" argument is a weak one in the extreme.

Hubby brought one suit and a couple of dress shirts (and two ties) for our last cruise. I have a pair of fancy black dressy slacks and I brought along two different sparkly shirts. Mine is the type of material that you can roll in a ball and it comes out wrinkle free. Pretty easy. Add one pair of black shoes and a black purse...and there you go.

If we were doing formal on our next cruise, I'd probably not even add an extra top, but reuse one and hubby would just add another shirt, or send one out to be cleaned. On our first cruise, we ordered tux, shoes and everything else for our boys and it was waiting for them when we got on the ship. Pretty easy.

Rev Neil, you are correct that it doesn't take much money to make HAL happy, but there are some on the thread, including the OP, who want us to shell our for Tuxs and Gowns.

I understand. My point has long been that it doesn't take much to meet the Line's code. Many will post opinions regarding what qualifies for formalwear and what is not formalwear ... and, while not a legalist, I do happen to share many of those opinions. However, HAL doesn't call for "formalwear" on formal night ... they call for what I outlined in my prior post.

I enjoy watching the people who dress up, but having my guy buy or rent a tux for our one cruise a year (if we are LUCKY) is a lot to ask. On formal nights he wears the sport coat and pants he got for our wedding. It's in our budget, he wears a tie, which makes me happy, and we feel dressed up. I choose to ignore the dirty looks others are sending our way.

I find it unfortunate, and wrong, that dirty looks have been sent your way; from what you describe, your guy is dressed within the code's minimum and that's that. Anyone who would send dirty looks your way has serious problems (that, or a seriously bad case of indigestion).

And Rev N. If he didn't own a coat it might be out of our budget to get him one. The cruise is spurge enough.

Well, several things could be said in response to this. Used to be, a sport jacket was an indispensable element in any man's wardrobe. However, given the nature of today's society I understand that this simply isn't true anymore. Still, perhaps it SHOULD BE. A sports jacket has many purposes and uses other than just wear on a cruise. And, a really good sports jacket doesn't cost much more than a couple hundred dollars at most. Hence, if a guy doesn't already have one, he should probably think about getting one even if he never plans on cruising.

So, please be more understanding of other's choices, and feel free to give me dirty looks if we are in the dining room in shorts (no matter what night it is!) I appreciate that HAL has more decorum than Carnival.

I'm sorry if you've interpreted me as being less than understanding of other people's choices. I honestly don't see it that way.

When you book over a year ahead; daydream on the way to and from work about the good times you'll have on a Damship; carry a notebook in your briefcase that contains your Checklist, plus sections for The Ship, Hotel, Air, ShoreEx, and HAL Info; put numbered sticky-notes on the bathroom mirror for each day until THE Day; and, most of all, save save save: we dress up on those nights designated as Formal.

My husband doesn't have a tux, though he would look dashing in one, so he takes a dark suit and a few nice dress shirts and ties. I would wear my lovely long red gown, bought for our first cruise together in 2000, if I could lose 34 pounds again, but I look pretty good thanks to Chico's and some interesting, inexpensive jewelry.

I've followed this long thread with a lump in my throat. For the first time in four years we don't have an annual cruise booked. Our nest egg, like so many others, has been addled by the economy. You can bet that, when we are at last able to pull out our suitcases again, we'll pack our best clothes for the best times.

Mrs Muir

People should wear what they feel is appropriate to the occasion and what they can afford. If I have offended anyone by my statements, you deserved it.

So, according to that rationale, there should not be any suggested dress at any time. No formal, no smart casual, no nothing. People should just put on whatever the hell they feel like wearing (assuming of course that they can afford to buy something to cover themselves up) and go to any venue and enjoy themselves.

If someone feels it's appropriate to show up to the captain's cocktail party in cutoff shorts and a tee shirt, that's fine by you.

Okay, got it.

Archived