The demise of formal night

barbon2

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't consider the dress code, and how people dress relative to that code, a means for measuring the content of someone's character.

That's what I was driving at. What someone wears, not relevant. People making a big deal about what someone wears, more relevant, in my opinion.

Sheila

Now I wish I'd studied Latin! You guys lost me after "ad hominem non sequitur". . . ;)

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear

Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? :eek: Illius me paenitet, dux! Interdum modo elabitur. ;)

Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Sorry about that Chief Sometimes it just sort of slips out.

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

If you can read this, you are overeducated

So, according to that rationale, there should not be any suggested dress at any time. No formal, no smart casual, no nothing. People should just put on whatever the hell they feel like wearing (assuming of course that they can afford to buy something to cover themselves up) and go to any venue and enjoy themselves.

If someone feels it's appropriate to show up to the captain's cocktail party in cutoff shorts and a tee shirt, that's fine by you.

Okay, got it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit.

But, then again, I live in Loudoun County. We are all hicks out here.

Sheila

I'm trying to teach myself Latin using "Wheelock's Latin". (Yes, the fun never ends here in central Connecticut.) I never imagined that I would find Latin translation drills here on CruiseCritic!

Awwww heck come on down here to Southern Ct and you can learn a new language just going out to buy a pack of cigarettes *LOL*

It doesn't take a great deal of money to dress according to HAL's dress code for Formal Night. For guys, all it takes is a sports jacket, a pair of dockers, a dress shirt, and a tie. For gals, it takes even less. Hence, the "afford" argument is a weak one in the extreme.

My friend who might come with me on my trip was worried because he is a casual guy, and he doesn't own a tux, and knew I would be into the whole dressing formal thing. (not pretentious, just VERY girly.) However once I told him the real requirements, he was relieved. Most guys have suits or what you described and such. I don't care very much what people wear, you can look classy without going over board. However, I think some code might be good. My stepdad and mom got married in my early 20's. They actually got married in Quebbec City in a very small ceremony (I was the maid of honor:) However, once back in San Francisco we had a big, probably semi formal reception with dinner, champagne the whole bit (advertised as a wedding reception ) at a well known landmark with about 125 people. My family wore our very formal wedding attire However, Half the people wore jeans and whatever shirt they could find. And these were the older friends of my parents who were doctors, lawyers and scientits ! My male friend, though. who I have known forever, was 21, was acting as my date and very punk at the time, wore a very nice suit. (He actually called me to make sure a suit was formal enough.) Of course mostly we had a wonderful time with everyone but my mom was a bit irritated as she had dressed up for their weddings, and thought they could pay her the same respect. I think I'm probably "smart casual" by default. I never wear pants, and always wear skirts and button down shirts. (planning to buy a few turtlenecks for Alaska, brrr.)

As a person who HATES dressing up, I love formal nights on the cruise. It's tradition! I just don't understand why people make such a fuss about it. We don't wear gowns and a tux, but my fiance wears a black suit and I wear a long skirt. It's part of the whole cruise experience!

Hi we are very new for cruising the Jan 3 Noordam southern carribeea n will be our very first cruise I just have a question my hubby packed few dark suit and tie and I willbring few formal black dressed we are fine my question is regarding the 9 year old daughter what is the appropriate attire since she does not have any long gowns she is only 9 I did find some cute shorter summer dresses is something like that is OK ? Ps when are the formal nights during the cruise is it on the very first night ? please let me know

what is your opinions .and suggestions are welcome.

Ps are you on NOORDAM 03 2009 as well ?

I think it all depends on the cruise, though ... its length and itinerary. On longer cruises you are likely to see a lot more tuxes and gowns. But on seven to ten-day itineraries, especially the ones that attract a lot of families like Alaska and the Caribbean, you'll get a whole lot less formality.

That's been my observation anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We've only been on a couple of cruises so far, but your observations are right on with what we've seen on our cruises.

I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear

Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Sorry about that Chief Sometimes it just sort of slips out.

If you can read this, you are overeducated

Mare pennipotenti permoveo suum pennae super traba pedes locus. :) Whew!

So, according to that rationale, there should not be any suggested dress at any time. No formal, no smart casual, no nothing. People should just put on whatever the hell they feel like wearing (assuming of course that they can afford to buy something to cover themselves up) and go to any venue and enjoy themselves.

If someone feels it's appropriate to show up to the captain's cocktail party in cutoff shorts and a tee shirt, that's fine by you.

Okay, got it.

No, you don't get it. The key word is suggested. When I was in the military there was a uniform of the day. It was required. This is not the military and the dress code is suggested, not required.

We have two concepts here: appropriateness and affordability. One may feel that a nice suit is appropriate for a formal affair, but if one cannot afford a suit and can only afford a pair of slacks and a nice shirt, then that becomes appropriate. On the other hand, if someone does not understand the term appropriate, then the cutoff shorts and tee shirt is what you will see.

As to what is and is not fine to me, the following applies. If you enjoy getting dressed up in a tux or gown and can afford to do so, then that is fine. If you think that everyone else must do so, then that is not fine. Frankly, I enjoy the formal nights with the women all dressed up and trying to one up each other. The gentlemen who get dressed up in their kilts and kits are wondrous to behold. To the men and women who wear their medals won on the field of battle, I say thank you for your service. To all of the above I say just don't expect everyone else to parade about in their finery because you wish to.

As to those of you who think that people who don't dress up should be sent to the Lido deck or to their cabins on formal night, I have this to say. I very much doubt that any of you when you are in your own home dress for dinner and have servants waiting on you. That being the case, let's be honest. You are putting on airs that make people think less of you rather than more.

No, you don't get it. The key word is suggested. When I was in the military there was a uniform of the day. It was required. This is not the military and the dress code is suggested, not required.

We have two concepts here: appropriateness and affordability. One may feel that a nice suit is appropriate for a formal affair, but if one cannot afford a suit and can only afford a pair of slacks and a nice shirt, then that becomes appropriate. On the other hand, if someone does not understand the term appropriate, then the cutoff shorts and tee shirt is what you will see.

As to what is and is not fine to me, the following applies. If you enjoy getting dressed up in a tux or gown and can afford to do so, then that is fine. If you think that everyone else must do so, then that is not fine. Frankly, I enjoy the formal nights with the women all dressed up and trying to one up each other. The gentlemen who get dressed up in their kilts and kits are wondrous to behold. To the men and women who wear their medals won on the field of battle, I say thank you for your service. To all of the above I say just don't expect everyone else to parade about in their finery because you wish to.

As to those of you who think that people who don't dress up should be sent to the Lido deck or to their cabins on formal night, I have this to say. I very much doubt that any of you when you are in your own home dress for dinner and have servants waiting on you. That being the case, let's be honest. You are putting on airs that make people think less of you rather than more.

+++++++++++++++++

WELL DONE !!!!!!

One of the best posts yet IMHO

And I hope that you are more cordial and civil to people in RL than you are to people in cyberspace.

You should also look at yourself. I read your other posts. You have been very rude to a lot of other posters (one example is when you lectured another poster about a meaning of a word). You feel you can say whatever you want to whoever but when someone disagrees with you go on the attack. May I suggest getting a little thicker skin and quit taking things so personal. This will be my last post to you so you can get the last word. I've wasted enough time on this. Let just get back to cruising.

Again, as the OP, I was just making an observation, not a criticism. I also want to reinterate that on all other nights, most all of the passengers looked nice and were dressed appropriately. I did not see anyone in the dining room in shorts, nor did I see "scruffy looking people." I was just stating an observation in regard to the formal dress code. I also think my point here was that even though the evening dress code was posted as formal, people interpreted formal the way they wanted to, so in this regard I do see the demise of formal night.

Barbara

On our recent circle Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam it seemed to me that the majority were dressed formal or semi-formal on formal nights as well as dressed smartly casual on the other nights. Of course this is just my limited observation. On formal nights I saw tuxes, dark suits, sport coats and ties and a few men in collared shirts with no ties. I really didn’t see anyone dressed in such a way that they were obviously oblivious to the whole concept of dressing up a little for dinner.

If or when HAL does away with formal nights I would think that they would also do away with keeping up the formal dining room and its atmosphere in the evening. It would be incongruent if most of the people were dressed casually and the dining room furnishings, service and ambience were formal. It would be ridiculous. If most of the people prefer informality when dining, then an informal dining room will be in order. On the ships I've been on the dining rooms have all been very beautiful and I would miss that. Now personally, I’d be happy with smart casual or country club casual or whatever you call it, but if it slipped below that, I do think something, not completely tangible, would definitely be lost in the cruising experience.

Three cheers to a true gentleman!!

It doesn't take a great deal of money to dress according to HAL's dress code for Formal Night. For guys, all it takes is a sports jacket, a pair of dockers, a dress shirt, and a tie. For gals, it takes even less. Hence, the "afford" argument is a weak one in the extreme.

EXCUSE ME!! Have you priced ladies gowns and cocktail dress lately:eek: They are not cheap. I for one can not afford to spend close too or over $100.00 for a dress I'll wear once. The Goodwill store is not an option, they want big bucks for dress that look like they've been trough the ringer.

For me the up side of formal dressing is that when you look good, you feel good. The down side afordability. If I have to choose between a dress I'll wear once or coloring the gray roots, the roots WILL WIN. If the DH has to choose between renting a tux and buying something extra for the grand kids, guess what, the grand kids win.

Fortunately, I do have 2 "coctail" dresses and my DH has more than one suit. We may just have to shake off the moth balls:p

Happy Sailing, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. Lets not forget life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

............................... Frankly, I enjoy the formal nights with the women all dressed up and trying to one up each other. The gentlemen who get dressed up in their kilts and kits are wondrous to behold. To the men and women who wear their medals won on the field of battle, I say thank you for your service. To all of the above I say just don't expect everyone else to parade about in their finery because you wish to.

Props to you!!:)

I never understood why some people on these boards get genuinely upset at the way cruise line dress codes are going. What's the problem? Do you have to dress down just because others are doing it? If you want to be formally dressed every night of the cruise, why not? I personally wouldn't care what others are wearing. No one's going to deny access to the dining room to someone who's "over" dressed.

This is true...if you want to dress formally, go for it. Even though the dress on our first cruise was very casual and we saw very few people in tuxes or long gowns (on formal night), never did I say that anyone looked bad or dressed inappropriately. The passengers on our cruise were very classy, and very nice, and just happened to dress more casually.

It's just a fact of life, IMO, that people dress more casually. You see it everywhere...not just on cruises.

Look at what's happening with the AYWD. That has a lot of people up in arms, but like you've said, these things are happening for a reason...HAL isn't just shooting in the dark when it comes to the changes they are implementing.

At this point, I am just happy I can afford to take a cruise. If the economy doesn't get back on track, I may be paddling my canoe on the back pond instead of vacationing!

is vista dinnig room :confused: on noordam casual on the casual night

--- no tie no dress? i could use more info please give me any sugestions

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;0/st/20090103/e/noordam+/k/b08c/event.png[/img]

[/url]

Yes, it's going to be casual. I brought along several fancier slacks with matching jackets but didn't end up wearing those. Because it was more casual than that, I ended up wearing Capri sets and sundresses to dinner on casual nights.

Most men had on Dockers, polo-type shirts, Hawaiian shirts, or regular shirts. I don't recall seeing a single man with a jacket/tie on casual night (not that there weren't, but I didn't see any).

The women wore summer sundresses, Capri sets, slacks, blouses...all very casual.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

How cool!! You sound like a fun couple. It's neat that you do this...and this is what it's all about. :)

Thank you! We do try to have fun on our cruises...as much as we love our kids, it is so nice to get away "just the two of us" for a week and be able to have fun together again. :D

Good point. I was on the Veendam this summer and it wasn't formal night,but I saw a couple doing brisk laps on the promenade deck while I sat on a deck chair. After several laps and sweating profusely they sauntered right into the dining room for dinner all sweaty and in track suits. Just plain clueless I guess????????

OMG you've got to be kidding!!! Dress code issues aside, that is disgusting!

Agreed! Sadly, some people will presume them to be dull, boring, and rude. :(

Yes, I keep waiting for a post here on CC about that "snooty couple" who wore their formal clothing on the last night of the cruise just to make everyone else look bad!

Archived