which dress - which night?

chefchick

I have always been under the impression that the first formal night (on a 7 night cruise for example) is the "more formal" of the two. If so, would you also think that if the second formal night was also New Years Eve?

Here's my dilemma; I have 3 dresses, all are appropriate for formals (sorry, i am so computer illiterate I can't figure out how to download pictures). One is a long, black gown the other 2 are cocktail style shorter dresses. One is a bit sexier than the others (but by no means vulgar). Okay, I had planned on wearing the long one on NYE, the first cocktail dress on the first formal night and the third "sexy" one at the specialty restaurant. But now I'm not sure. Should I wear the long one the first formal the sexy one for New years and the third to the Normandie? (we are on the Celebrity Summit)

I know, weird question. What do you all think? I start packing today so any help is appreciated.

They all sound nice!

You probably will have to decide that evening.

That is what I usually do. I bring a few options and decide before getting dressed for dinner.

There have even been a few times that we did not feel like getting all dressed up, so we just ate someplace else.

Don't sweat it, you will get it all figured out!

I have to agree, formal is formal and there is no difference as to which night, first or second. I've started taking cocktail dresses only, no more long dresses for me (although I should never say never), packing is easier with short dresses.

Cruise formal nights are not nearly as formal as they were 10 years ago, not many men wear tuxedos any more and you see plenty of cocktail dresses and long fancy dresses, hardly any formal dresses are seen.

I have to disagree about taking extra clothes, unless you want to pay overweight and excess baggage fees.

People may dress up more just for New Year's Eve but don't just assume that the evenings dress will be formal simply because of that. I was on a cruise over Valentine's Day and just assumed that Valentine's evening would be a formal night - and I was wrong. If Wednesday night is typically a formal night, I agree that formal is formal. Also, put me in the camp of cocktail dress for those evenings anymore. Just take all three dresses and figure it out when you get there! And no is going to stop you from dressing up even if it's not a formal night, so go and have fun.

I know some people perceive the first formal night as 'more' formal, but I can't really tell enough difference to matter. Any of the three dresses will probably be fine for any of the three nights. Go with what you prefer to wear. I've never sailed on New Year's Eve, but I'd assume people would dress up a lot, even if it's not an official formal night.

There is some validity to wearing your tightest dress first, unless you don't tend to overeat on cruises!

I agree that formal is formal, and have never worn something "less formal" on the 2nd formal night.

If you know you'll be wearing the three dresses on three different nights, just bring them and decide how you feel on each of those days.

You might decide between long and short depending on how much dancing you'll be doing - if you like to dance. I'd wear the one that's easiest to dance in, and goes with the shoes that are easiest to dance in, on the night that you think you'll be doing the most dancing. For us, that would probably be New Year's Eve.

Have a fabulous cruise!

I have the same dilema. I have one formal - like for New Year's eve and another cocktail-like. I am not even sure if I should wear a black elegant pant with a silk blouse with jeweled-like buttons and high heels on the formal night.

The first night I went on Cruise I saw most women in cocktail dresses and long elegant pants.

Hi,:) I agree with the "both nights are formal" theory;)

So, no I don't totally agree with the 1st one being more dressy.

And on Celebrity they have a Capt's Club Cocktail Party

and many times it is held on the 2nd formal night and plenty

of women get quite dressed up for that too. Free drinks before

dinner is always fun;)

So either way, formal is formal:D

Merry Christmas everyone:)

Well here is my theory. I think most ladies have planned for and are anxious to dress up for formal night and simply because of this the first formal night has more people dressed for the occasion.... If someone has packed full length and cocktail the full length seems to be worn first which could make the first night appear to be more formal... But I agree with Jane though, formal is formal regardless of the night.

Myself I prefer a full length gown for formal night over a cocktail dress so it makes no difference to me at all.

Archived