$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

I have NEVER ordered room service on any cruise I've been on, but this type of charge offends me, more so than the steak charge. The steak charge still PO's me the way they said it was one thing, and turned out to be one ROYAL lie.

If our daily tips for food is already something like 5.50 for the day, 3.95 is pretty steep in comparison.

Now, I wonder how many orders are going to be placed/delivered (whatever is the charge trigger) at 11:59, or 6:01? :confused:

Assuming everyone tips.

From reading the boards we know quite a few don't.

It is just a sign of the times and will continue, we have already seen additional charges for this and that and I guarantee there will be more until finally people say "Enough" :D

I would have thought there would be more of that. To see anyone post, "that's OK, here's my wallet" is not on the side of the consumer. It's a green light for the corp to proceed down this path.

"Hey, Mr. CEO. We implimented a sur charge, and the Royal Members/Champions are saying "FINE!".

HUH?

Let's see what's next.

Schools that participate in a "Healthy Food" initiative and receive government funding(reimbursements) for doing so are restricted to the foods they serve. So when the government is ready to subsidize my cruise, I will be more than willing to give up eating what I want to eat and will follow "healthy" guidelines. But as long as I am paying for my cruise, it is I who will determine what I eat and hopefully, when I want to eat it. I also enjoy a small snack before bed and when cruising, that is very often after midnight.

I agree. I'm not a school child, nor am I so dense and lacking in intelligence that I cannot decide for myself what to eat.

I hate the "nanny" crowd who expects Uncle Sam to govern our every action....... We are, after all, adults.

So now RCCL is getting yet one step closer to becoming EasyCruise. Folks, get used to it. Changes for turn down service are coming soon along with charges for checking in bags. It all starts with nickel and diming for stuff most people don't care about and slowly snowballs. I wish they would bump up the cruise cost by $50 and stop with the nickel and diming, even if it cost me more in the long run.

I know a lot of people feel this way...but I don't. I don't mind the "a la carte" system of paying. I would prefer to pay $50 less for my fare and have the choices of what to pay for on board. I don't see it as "nickel and diming". I see it as giving me choices on what I want to spend my on board dollars on. I don't want to spend that $50 on things I won't use anyway.

The only constant in life is change. :)

Yes you read correctly

Why don't you tell the whole story Brad. Yes there is a charge for steak in the MDR, however it is optional, and right now only on 2 ships. MOS, and FOS. We were on the Majesty 3 weeks ago, and the everyday sirloin was on the menu each night , so was the optional Chops Strip for 14.95.

The only night the sirloin was not on the menu, was the night they had a strip steak as one of the main entree's, however all you had to do is ask for the sirloin, and they would give it to you.

To the other poster who asked the question, the only charge for a steak in the MDR on the MOS, or FOS is an option. They still have the free ones everyday.

I think they should charge all day for room service. Maybe it will cut down on traffic and the room service people will not be so overwhelmed (as they always seem to be).

$3.95 with gratuity included is nothing.

Right, but then we'll be into debates on who tips "extra" and how much. :eek:

No - there is an OPTION to pay for a better quality cut of steak in the main dining room on TWO of the ships - Monarch and Freedom I believe. This is a trial, not sure if it is continuing into this year. Normal steak available on the menu on all ships as usual.

Midnight buffets were dropped months back because of the incredible wastage of food.

This is not correct as the 14.95 steak was also on the Majesty last month also.

I can imagine thre are a lot of drunken college students ordering room service and trashing their rooms at that hour of the morning. And I don't suppose they tip!!:( Maybe this is to offset some of that.

Sorry I don't buy that. Your theory goes right along with the charge for Johnny Rocket's being used to control teenagers. I should not have to pay a price to control teenager abuse of Johnny Rocket's and I should not have to pay a price for drunken college student abuse of room service and trashing of cabins.

The charge is a way of increasing revenue plain and simple. It is fine to debate its merits but I don't think folks should try to find some hidden altruistic reason every time RCI institutes another charge.

Yup, here is the new write up straight from the RCCL web site...

Maybe you want to sleep in or just spend a night relaxing in your stateroom; either way, you still have to eat. That's why we offer room service to all our guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 24 hours a day (late night service charge applies). So go ahead and have breakfast in bed or enjoy a sweet temptation dessert on your balcony. After all, you're on vacation.

I will refrain from using the expression that has the words..."Told, I, You, So" in it :p:D

Happy New Year everyone :D

The charge is a way of increasing revenue plain and simple. It is fine to debate its merits but I don't think folks should try to find some hidden altruistic reason every time RCI institutes another charge.

You are right on target!

I'm ok with the service charge for late night room service. Perhaps it is to reduce room service requests so they can reduce the number of people that they are asking to stay up all night. It really is no more than an appropriate tip so I don't see the problem. Maybe it has been shown those that order during those hours are less likely to tip.

Couldn't agree with you more. I think most that are having a problem with this either don't tip when they do use the service, or are very stingy if they do tip, or we have to ones who just need something else to b***h about.

Those who use room service no matter what time and give adecent tip , could care less.

I'm not sure that I completely agree with you. When I tip someone, be it my cabin attendent or whomever, I feel good about rewarding them for the service that they gave me. When that tip now becomes mandated and built into the price it just seems to have a different feel to it. It is no longer my way of saying thank you but the company (RCI) making it part of a transaction. It simply does not feel the same, at least not to me.

I can understand building the gratuity into bar tabs on the ships as most of us do not walk around carrying cash and it is also a built-in incentive for workers to try and make more sales. However, room service folks are not trying to make sales and we all, or most of us I would imagine, have cash in our cabins.

I am sure that what you stated does apply at times but it is definetely an unfair generalization.

As I have read the thread, there are some observations that have been posted that also occurred to me.

I can understand how "party-munchie" ordering and stiffing the attendants could be a real problem more common at certain times of year.

• I despise it when people who should be tipped get "stiffed." But who knows how much of a portion of the $3.95 will go to the server. They may actually receive less on average. I don't see very many people leaving extra.
  • I think there may be a crush of calls just before midnight causing another type of staff burden.
  • I could easily see people over-ordering as a reaction to the charge. One International Cheese Plate extra-ordered will more than cancel the $3.95 charge.
  • However, I know the fine print always says there can be changes, but if you have already booked a cruise, you were told room service was to be free - period. That I can afford it is irrelevent, There should be notice.
  • Any forum of this type exists to share information and opinions. I value that information as I make my choices. I have tremendously enjoyed my RCCL cruises. But I am not related to the darn company, and I feel no need to defend it as such. Posters, criticize away when deserved.

Schools that participate in a "Healthy Food" initiative and receive government funding(reimbursements) for doing so are restricted to the foods they serve. So when the government is ready to subsidize my cruise, I will be more than willing to give up eating what I want to eat and will follow "healthy" guidelines. But as long as I am paying for my cruise, it is I who will determine what I eat and hopefully, when I want to eat it. I also enjoy a small snack before bed and when cruising, that is very often after midnight.

I would gladly follow the healthy guideline form the government without them subsidizing my vacation. It would be a lot easier that the cardiologist that does it now. Living with heart disease or a heart condition is no fun and the doctors guideline can be a pain. No, he is not subsizing my vacation just trying to keep me from a third open heart surgery. It is not I who really decide what I eat and hopefully, when I want to eat it. I have been listening for the past 10 years from the age of 34. In the end, some of us are forced to listen to someone.

Now where are you on this $3.95 for RS after midnight. Pointless to say my cardiologist and heart surgeons wouldn't have me touch anything worthwhile during most of those hours.

I also agree it is another way for RC to nickle dime revenue!

The Johnny Rocket was free at one time ( oh and that fee was implemented to avoid having teens hang out there........do you know any teen that doesn't have a cell phone....I am sure they can get the 3.95 for JR if they want to hang out there) , now we pay a fee for JR.

Now this fee for RS between 12-5am ( oh yes its because spring break kids don't tip......these kids have money to drink,, do you think they can't afford the 3.95 for RS), another way to start the implemtation of charging for ALL hours to use RS!

The $14.95 steak ( I don't eat the crap anyways), is another revenue maker!

The charge for fruit punch ( that I paid $4.24 in the MDR on the Explorer in 2008) is another way to generate revenue!

I do carry cash with me at all times on the Ship, Tip for any service I receive, but I am not willing to let RC tell me to pay x amount for a Service or Product that was included in my initial Cruisefare!

All of the RC changes that they are coming out with has put a Bad taste in my mouth, and I may have liked their Ships better than other Cruisline Ships, but my money is good anywhere, so I will be seriously considering taking my $$$$ to another cruiseline when I complete my already booked cruise's with RC.

I have voiced my opinions with RC in the Shareholder dept., C&A dept., A. Goldstein dept., etc. A customer is just a Number to them anymore, for those that cruised and became Diamond, Diamond +. they have no more Benefit than a brand new cruiser, when it comes to booking a cruise.

A new pax can book onboard and receive OBC equal to a Diamond Balcony discount, depending on the lenght of the cruise.

If RC would of stayed Loyal to me, maybe I could of stayed Loyal to them!

I'm not sure that I completely agree with you. When I tip someone, be it my cabin attendent or whomever, I feel good about rewarding them for the service that they gave me. When that tip now becomes mandated and built into the price it just seems to have a different feel to it. It is no longer my way of saying thank you but the company (RCI) making it part of a transaction. It simply does not feel the same, at least not to me.

I can understand building the gratuity into bar tabs on the ships as most of us do not walk around carrying cash and it is also a built-in incentive for workers to try and make more sales. However, room service folks are not trying to make sales and we all, or most of us I would imagine, have cash in our cabins.

I am sure that what you stated does apply at times but it is definetely an unfair generalization.

Well I understand your point, however the mandatory tip thing is getting closer and closer. As they come out with more and more my time dining, which btw if you sign up, then your tips for all are mandatory, more pax will be having to prepay tips. When it really becomes a large percentage, then one would think the'll just make tips mandatory.

As far as the RS during the night, no problem. how much stuff gets wasted from the drunks who come in and order everything they can, then pass out waiting for it. (yes some can say if it didn't take so long, but is that the delivery person's fault.)Even if only part of it goes to the person bringing it, they are probably still ahead, and if cuts down on the waste for RCI, then they have accomplished something.

Like i said before, those who use it, and tip accordingly, it won't really bother.

Not trying to be dense, but if you take the automatic tipping option added to your bill on board, isn't that suppose to cover ALL meals except those at the extra charge restaurants?

Without the $3.95 service charge for room service between 12-6 am, passengers would be more likely to add a few dollars for the crew member who delivers their order. Now, there is the big question -- how much if any of the $3.95 goes to the server?

By comparison on other cruise lines, it does not take over 45 minutes to get your order delivered to the cabin. Why is it only a problem on RCL ships? Not enough staff for room service?

IMO it seems like just another way for RCL to recoup the money they are losing due to a drop in on-board sales revenue and the elimination of the fuel surcharges. Now the economy is Europe is also suffering, there will be less passengers from overseas booking cruises for the Caribbean and Canada. RCL will lose the higher revenue they were allowed to make due to the difference in the currency exchange surcharges as well. Foreign passengers were charged for gratituties as part of the cruise fare and were not allowed a refund of their deposit if they cancelled -- all extra money in RCL's coffers.

What other charges will RCL come up with next? Makes me wonder if RCL really cares about repeat passenger business. They seem to be offering me less and less incentive to book another cruise with them for 2009. I could see the changes from my July to November 2008 cruises and weren't happy about them. 2009 seems to be a year of more unfavorable changes to come with RCL.

Maybe RCL should take a strong, close look at what they charge for tours, the quality and selection of merchandise they carry on board and it pricing, extra charge food items, etc. and see what can be done to entice their passengers to buy these items. Raising prices is not the answer. Better value for the money is. Passengers will spend money for what they perceive as a good value -- basic rule of Marketing 101. But on the other hand, passengers do not like to feel that they are being ripped off to make up for the loss of revenue. What incentives are truly being offered by RCL to get passengers to book in the first place and once they do, what do they really get for their money? Something to think about!

MARAPRINCE

Argue all you want. The reality is cruise prices are at an all-time low, and the cruise lines have to make up the lost revenue somewhere. Everywhere you turn there is a never-ending stream of schemes to get you to open your wallet. They will offer a plethora or reasons, (excuses) but it’s ALWAYS about the bottom line.

As the cruise lines build more expensive ships filled with more amenities, more activities and more options, you can rest assured that the “options” will come along with a “fee”.

Cruising is still a tremendous value if you don’t fall into the traps that are strategically placed onboard to separate you from your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajathree

Excuse me....but didn't I just read recently that passengers were revolting about not having their fuel surcharges refunded for recent cruises, and one of the things they were doing was ordering room service just to have it sit outside but feel, well there, no refund...I will get you! Well all they did was get their fellow cruise passengers....so you can thank them NOT RCCL for this.

What ship was that? Were they even eligible for an FS refund?

That is a good question.

I thought FS refunds were to start on all sailings starting 1/1/09 ?

Happy New Year Oliver.

Did I read correctly, That you have to pay for steak in the main dining room, and there are no more midnight Buffets. Its be almost 2 years since I last went on a cruise.:mad::mad::mad: We are starting to plan our next cruise. What else has changed???:eek:

RCI has a Chops quality Filet that is offered in the dining room. They still offer other cuts of beef plus they have a Black Angus sirloin that is available each night for no charge.

RCI did change their web site stating room service now has an added service charge. There still is no mention of the extra charge in the MDR. Their site states all meals are included in the MDR.

The filet in the MDR is an option. They still offer the Black Angus sirloin each night for no charge plus other cuts of beef such as Prime Rib. No reason for RCI to place this on their website.

I like cruising and we do prefer it to landbased. However to say it costs less than landbased is just not true. And it's getting more costly with the add-ons that ever before.

Right now from Toronto, you can fly to Mexico, stay at a 5 star resort, all-inclusive (really all-inclusive), air included for under a $1,000 Cdn per person. For a comparable cruise to Mexico would be that much for a balcony room certainly not all-inclusive and air is additional. Now they are adding even more nickle/dime stuff.

Others are suggesting that this will start to eliminate those who just can't afford all the nickle/dime. Well, with the number of ships and the size of them, they need everone they can get sailing. They can no longer be picky about who the sell to.

I do believe they are damaging themselves with a buck here and a buck there.

I pay gratuities based on services rendered so this charge will no affect that. What it will do though, is cause me to see exactly what my total spent is and compare it to the higher end cruiselines and see if I would be better moving on.

The filet in the MDR is an option. They still offer the Black Angus sirloin each night for no charge plus other cuts of beef such as Prime Rib. No reason for RCI to place this on their website.

Its a futile effort trying to explain. :D

People hear/read what they want to hear/read. ;)

Happy new year.

In time I predict/hope price will be that only people who can truly afford will book, so no need to nickle and dime. As long as many people (speaking of the US market) are cruising for $100 per day, then this will happen. I suggest they increase the price and make it a vacation worth planning for and taking. Many people think the charge is OK because they reckon they can't do better anywhere in terms of value. I think the cruise line should say enough is enough to people who want these vacations but can't truly afford them.

No going to happen. The mass market lines continue to build large ships that hold a lot of people. Those ships have to go out full each week. The way to do this is to keep the initial price low and let guests pay for the extras that they desire. This is only going to get worse. Folks have a choice. Either deal with it or vote with your wallet. Sitting at ones computer and b*tching about it on Cruise Critic is not going to change one thing but it is amusing to read some of the posts.

Cruising today is much cheaper than it was 15-20 years ago when one takes into consideration the accommodations and dining options that we had back then. The quality is not the same but the prices aren't either and if cruise lines were to raise their prices to bring the quality back up, the ships would not sail full. Again, this is the future of mass market cruising like it or not.

Archived