$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

I do believe they are damaging themselves with a buck here and a buck there.

That's exactly what they are doing. They are making it so easy to switch to a landbased with all these changes. I used to board and leave my brain on idle. Now you gotta think, decide, make choices, and pay.

Cruising exploded in the 80's /90's and now all we need is a Hindenburg / Concorde incident, or they will do it to themselves..

Then we'll have a bunch of S.S. United States moored up in urban rivers, or worse, Dubai.

Would you rather they increase price for everyone ( yes, I personally would) or simply fail as a business?. I know the US is working on a bailout plan for the auto industry but I doubt they will consider it for a cruise line. Cruising (US market) is still a very good value verses any other kind of vacation. You can get on a ship for $100 per day, on land that will get you a decent meal at nice restaurant. RCCL and all cruise lines should take a look and decide are they going to cater to everyone, starting with those who can only afford $100 and nickle and dime the rest. They can do pricing similar to land vacations, so only the ones that can truly afford it book, then include the services at a price closer to the real cost. Currently cruise prices aren't even close to the actual cost of providing the service and amenities they deliver (referring to US market).

Please share what other vacation (with all the nickle and dime) gives the same value of crusing...nice restaurants, buffets, pools, entertainment, childcare, free room service (till midnight :D), starting at $100 per night. On land a cheap, cheap, cheap motel $60 ( I live in the middle of nowhere), breakfast $8, lunch $10, dinner at buffet $15, tip $5. A private campground by the beach in Southern California is at least $85 per night. What do you think is a reasonable price for what you are getting. For the price I am paying, I am willing to straighten up the room, clear the table and if I see someone drop something pick it up. Yes, I got the $100 per night deal for a balcony cabin:D With prices for cruise this low, what do you guys expect...business failure or some kind of bailout by some government agency (US market). How much nickle and diming occur might be determined not by the most expensive cabin but the cheapest ones.

JMOP

Pauline

It's gonna be your year of the Oasis. Excited?

We canceled the Oasis when they changed the inaugural sailing and added the four night cruise. We will look at Oasis down the road after some reviews come back. I'm still concerned that Pt.Everglades is not going to be able to handle this ship. If they prove me wrong, then we will look at booking it.

Others are suggesting that this will start to eliminate those who just can't afford all the nickle/dime. Well, with the number of ships and the size of them, they need everone they can get sailing. They can no longer be picky about who the sell to.

I agree with you and I actually think that´s the goal the cruise lines are following here.

I think the vast majority of cruisers are not the well informed ones like the CC members. They might recognize some extra charges or not.

The cruise lines are going after all the newbies that have never been on a ship before and they try to catch them with low prices to beginn with.

Now I don´t know about how it´s in the US, but over here when talking to people who have never been on a cruise they expect a cruise to be all inclusive and those people will book a cheap cruise having in mind that they already paid for most / all the expenses. Of course this is risky behavior by the cruise line as the first timer thinking like that will get burnt on their first cruise with all those extras.

But then have a look at the easy cruise concept. I don´t want to be found dead on one of their ships, but the concept is succesful. Though one have to have in mind it´s very small ships compared to the mega ships. And there have been many repots on TV over here about Easy cruise and how expensive it gets in the end after paying for everything.:eek:

The RS surcharge really doesn´t affect me, but I´ve had to say it too many times lately that I don´t like the way they are heading.

I cruised on the Song of America in 1995. A 7 night cruise to Bermuda docked in the center of Hamilton ( not Kings dwarf) for a Balcony cabin...price $599.00 plus port taxes. Try to find a price for 7 nights today to Bermuda with RC for that price!

We had Outstanding Food, Free room service, Great Comedian shows ( Chucky the Commedian), and the list goes on and on, compared to today with what RC offers.

We also took the same cruise in 1997, same Price!

Five nights to Bermuda are costing well over $700.00 for a Balcony cabin! I'm glad to see prices are cheaper!:D

You're right about RCCL’s luring "newbie’s" to cruising. Their Chief Executive, Richard Fain said "Cruising continues to be the best value in the vacation industry, and the fixed-price nature of the purchase becomes even more appealing during tough economic times." while announcing their fourth quarter profit of $70.8 million.

I cruised on the Song of America in 1995. A 7 night cruise to Bermuda docked in the center of Hamilton ( not Kings dwarf) for a Balcony cabin...price $599.00 plus port taxes. Try to find a price for 7 nights today to Bermuda with RC for that price!

We had Outstanding Food, Free room service, Great Comedian shows ( Chucky the Commedian), and the list goes on and on, compared to today with what RC offers.

We also took the same cruise in 1997, same Price!

Five nights to Bermuda are costing well over $700.00 for a Balcony cabin! I'm glad to see prices are cheaper!:D

My first cruise in 1986 was $1500.00 per person on NCL for a seven night cruise. This was a standard outside 100 square foot cabin with three meals a day in the dining room at a set time. No room service, limited entertainment compared to what we see today. In 1997 we paid $1200.00 per person for a standard category 8A balcony cabin on the new Carnival Destiny. Look at those prices today on Carnival for a seven night cruise in a standard 8A. Prices today are still a great bargain.

My first cruise in 1986 was $1500.00 per person on NCL for a seven night cruise. This was a standard outside 100 square foot cabin with three meals a day in the dining room at a set time. No room service, limited entertainment compared to what we see today. In 1997 we paid $1200.00 per person for a standard category 8A balcony cabin on the new Carnival Destiny. Look at those prices today on Carnival for a seven night cruise in a standard 8A. Prices today are still a great bargain.

I agree, CG2. I just look at the bottom line, and whenever these extra charges are introduced, I still look at my bottom line. I don't know where else I can get a great vacation for under $150 per day pp, including room, food, miscellaneous purchases (but not alcohol), and transportation to up to 5 different places!! Still seems like a good deal to me.

The fact that our first cruise was $250 pp including air is a moot point. My first house cost me $28,500, and my first salary was $5,400 a year. It's all relative, and if it's still a reasonably priced product for the current state of my finances, then I'm happy. I WANT Royal Caribbean to stay in business, so whatever works, works. As long as it's OK with my bottom line! :D

I don't think it is an effort to stop room service at those hours. I think it is just RC's way of saying-these guys deserve a tip too. I could be wrong but I'm just trying to figure this thing out and it may never happen!!:(

Let the confusion continue..............................:eek:

RC doesn't care about the worker's income... They are looking to increase revenue at a time that is difficult to staff.

Tipping is in place so that workers can supplement their income and make a living beyond the wages that are paid.

.............If I remember correctly, on the Zuiderdam in 2007 everything closed up and the cruise line made the point to passengers that the only way to get food after a specified time was via room service.

Holland America still has a small buffet everynight at 11:00pm on all their ships.

I think room service increased when RCI stopped the midnight buffet. If people are in the bars at night they will be hungry after midnight. Will the cafe on the Promennade deck on the big RCI ships still have food available till 2:00 am?

It appears that they have taken a page out of the Airline's play book and are now going to nickel and dime us to death. We now have an extra charge for steak in the MDR evidentally (I am not a carnivore), a charge for specialty dining and now a "modest" charge for room service in the wee morning hours. Wonder how long it is going to be before they figure out they can gouge us for luggage like the airlines? :rolleyes:

Liz,

Is this fleetwide, starting from tomorrow?

I dont think I have ever ordered room service after Midnight, but the idea of of eggs and bacon in my cabin sounds good!

(4 days until the Brilliance!)

Several years ago you did have a full room service menu - breakfast you hung out the order by 2AM and they delivered a full breakfast at a set 30 minute window of your choosing.

Last year the menu had been reduced to scrambled eggs and premade omelets and not many other choices

I also missed the pastry basket last cruise...

Someone else mentioned Sorrentos which I really like on the bigger ships, Cafe Prommenade too. It's the smaller ships with just Latte-tudes that is tough to find free coffee and food on... (at weird hours)

You know how there are cup half full and cup half empty people? There is another group of people and they are my cup is empty and the cruiseline just stole it, kind of people.:D;)

jc

Cup half full? Cup half Empty?

Personally I think if they just got the damn right size cup in the first place we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Maybe the extra charge has to do with the extra delivery and clean up between those hours.

Maybe instead of looking to increase revenue they want to decrease the use of RS in those hours.

Its also possible people were not tipping at all for room service.

I don;t mind extra charge opportunities if that keeps my base price down because I have the option. We do use room service 5-6 x per 7 day cruise. But never between those hours.

I would think doing anything to discourage RS would be a bad idea because thats many more peiple that are not in the other venues.

Sounds like the passengers are the ones being unreasonable.

When do you think the crew should have some time off? Doesn't midnight to 5 a.m. sound like a time they should get a break and not have to deliver milk and cookies to someone (and may not get a tip to boot)?

Come on folks, all that spitefulness does not solve anything. Try to eat as much as you can from 5 a.m. to midnight and let it go!

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Low fares, price reductions, discounts, OBC and no charges to make up for the loss. Then there's smuggled booze, water, soda and heaven knows what else.

RCI is a business not a charity!~

Since the ship runs 24X7 there's always someone on duty on the graveyard shift...

I've never understood the phrase, "You can't have your cake and eat it, too." - what the hell else are you gonna do with it? stare at it?

Water and soda do not have to be smuggled-you can bring as much on board as you want as long as it fits in the XRay machine.

I like cruising and we do prefer it to landbased. However to say it costs less than landbased is just not true. And it's getting more costly with the add-ons that ever before.

Right now from Toronto, you can fly to Mexico, stay at a 5 star resort, all-inclusive (really all-inclusive), air included for under a $1,000 Cdn per person. For a comparable cruise to Mexico would be that much for a balcony room certainly not all-inclusive and air is additional. Now they are adding even more nickle/dime stuff.

Others are suggesting that this will start to eliminate those who just can't afford all the nickle/dime. Well, with the number of ships and the size of them, they need everone they can get sailing. They can no longer be picky about who the sell to.

I do believe they are damaging themselves with a buck here and a buck there.

I pay gratuities based on services rendered so this charge will no affect that. What it will do though, is cause me to see exactly what my total spent is and compare it to the higher end cruiselines and see if I would be better moving on.

My dearest NOOTS friend, I have to disagree with you. :D

The question really is if the cruise lines are nickel and diming or simply trying to roll back prices and maybe over time increase some of the services and quality we were used to.

Technically, an RCI cruiser today can cruise for less money with many more amenities than a decade ago. But as it is wqith everything it is never good enough. Some want it all, for absolutely free or even better - with money back.

Our society has become a user society where certain things available for you are being 'abused'.

The service charge for room service is more than valid. What once was a convenience has now become an 'abuse' of the system. You have to just walk around the ship sometimes and see how many people put their trays out - still with food on it. I also need to mention that a lot of people do not even tip.

Look around in the WJ and see how many people load their trays just to leave most of the food. Instead of getting what you need it is more of "get as much as you can, its free".

Unfortunately people have not taken advantage of low cruise fares. Opening RCI up to the general mass market was a punishment RCI is trying to correct now. There is a lot of people cruising these days on RCI who couldn't afford RCI a few years back. It was a Carnival market. Carnival maintains its ships less (I just took pictures of a lot of rust spots), they are easier to maintain and have - generally - less amenities to maintain or less expensive equipment. Cleaning all the glass areas on a Radiance Class ship takes more time and cost more money and an ice rink (Voyager Class/Freedom Class) surely is more expensive to maintain than a water slide - just to name a couple of examples.

Every change you see is not nickle and diming. It is a measure to counteract the abuse of low fares, the abuse of services of convinience and the abuse of generally 'free' stuff.

Just look around this forum and almost every post is about price drops, OBC and how to save even more. Forgotten is that price drops is a 'hand shake' deal from RCI to its customers as a benefit for early booking. Yet, it is not enough. People complain that they are shut out of 'New Bookings Only' totally not understanding that sales events labeled as "New Bookings Only" is a way to fill the ship not necessarly a bonus for early bookers.

The thought behind price drops was simple: we give you the price drop and say thank you for an early booking and we hope you will spend the saved money on the ship anyways. But that is not happeneing.

OBC: once it was implemented as a help with your onboard bill to encourage you i.e. to book your future cruises on the ship. It was a planning method for RCI and it was rewarded with OBC. But the OBC is not being used anymore as a 'help' with your SeaPass bill, it has become a cash cow. The goal is: to cruise as cheaply as you can and spend as little money as uyou can.

A decade or so ago peole cruised with two pieces of luggage filled with formal and casual wear. You cruised because of the experience and the fun to eat, drink and see new things. Change of ports? No biggie. Serving a strange drink? no biggie. In today's time I see people walking on the ship with a piece of luggage which is smaller then my toiletry bag yet they check in cases of soda and water - either to save a dime here and there or they are incompetent and unwilling to change. No more formal or casual wear. The experience, the desire for the new is not existing anymore. A cruise is being used as a free for all, dam all the rules, policies and regulation and we will have it our way.

Change of ports: we sue for compensation.

You really telling me that cruise lines are nickel and diming? It would be a valid argument if cruise fares would have stayed on a level of 10 years ago or even increased but in today's time you can cruise for half the price in a balcony what most paid for a simple oceanview 10 or 15 years ago.

What you see now and the rest of 2009 is a reaction of the behavior of cruisers rather than a simple nickel and diming. Airlines nickel and dime. Their prices gradually increased over the years and services have been gradually cut back without increasing comfort. Cruise fares decreased over the years while increasing amenities and comfort. It was a system poorly put in place and simply abused.

RCI will take a chance at losing a nickel and diming passenger here and there (or as someone called it so nicely "stiffers"). They have realized that some loyalty began and ends with benefits rather than product and services. Products and services was what made RCI what they are today.

I talked to a few people over the last couple of months and every change they are currently making is a reaction to the abuse of the current system (from combining benefits all the way to revising the coupon books).

I could tell you about my last cruise I took and why I cruised for free but it would break the trust I have with a few people at RCI.

Right now RCI is creating the basis for the future and when I see the current changes and what I heard and experienced (my last cruise) I feel mighty good and I am absolutely confident that RCI will become the step above the rest again. Nickel and dime customers will always be welcome, with all their moaning and bitching about a $3.95 room service charge, but the days that I feel that I and others financial support RCI to give the nickel and dime cruisers a playground will be over soon.

I see some in this thread like PMShirl who should not worry. It may take a while but the rewards are coming.

We canceled the Oasis when they changed the inaugural sailing and added the four night cruise. We will look at Oasis down the road after some reviews come back. I'm still concerned that Pt.Everglades is not going to be able to handle this ship. If they prove me wrong, then we will look at booking it.

I hear you about Port Everglades. On our last cruise we lucked out.

On berth 25 there has been NO improvements from last year and on 18 just inside the building. No improvements to the outside, the piers or general infrastructure.

Cup half full? Cup half Empty?

Personally I think if they just got the damn right size cup in the first place we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Maybe one day someone is drinking from a plastic thinking it's real china and the next day on a nice ship using a nice cup, but still can't tell the difference. One day they are thinking the $6 burger is gourmet, the next they are taking a cruise using real napkins. Some people don't know what a real cup is, or the cost associated with a true vacation. People who aren't meant to leave their back holes...oops I meant yard are now on cruises, thanks to cheap internet specials. Unfortunately they might be the bread and butter for the cruise line to survive. Nice vacation are EXPENSIVE and you are you to pay one way or the other.

Before you flame me, I just did the cheap internet special but I bought nice dresses for formal night and MDR:D

I would gladly follow the healthy guideline form the government without them subsidizing my vacation. It would be a lot easier that the cardiologist that does it now. Living with heart disease or a heart condition is no fun and the doctors guideline can be a pain. No, he is not subsizing my vacation just trying to keep me from a third open heart surgery. It is not I who really decide what I eat and hopefully, when I want to eat it. I have been listening for the past 10 years from the age of 34. In the end, some of us are forced to listen to someone.

Now where are you on this $3.95 for RS after midnight. Pointless to say my cardiologist and heart surgeons wouldn't have me touch anything worthwhile during most of those hours.

I, personally, don't have a problem with the $3.95 service charge. Like other posters have said, I usually tip more than that for room service at any time(my children have ordered). I will most likely give an additional tip directly to the room service attendant if I order during the surcharge time. I have never ordered room service for myself on any of my 8 cruises. However, las I stated in my previous post, before retiring for the night and prior to heading back to my cabin, I always stopped for a light snack(Celebrity and Carnival). However, if this option is not available, I may order something small from room service(from what I gather, there is no venue open that serves food at this time). I would also like to point out that I maintain a very healthy and balanced diet. However, when I'm on vacation, I occasionally like to splurge and feel that I have the right to make that decision for myself.

Beginning January 2009 there will be a service charge of $3.95 for room service ordered between 12-5am, this includes the gratuity.

Dont shoot the messenger please :o

Wow, is there no end to RCI's nickel and diming us?

I don't think I have ever ordered anything from room service during that timeframe, but this is just a step towards a charge for ALL room service.

Archived