$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

O, please, give me a break. The greed I see is the passenger that wants to pay 699 for a week with a balcony and expects the food to be michelin 5 star and wants to have servants available at their beck and call.

Why do you want to go off topic and start calling names? Seriously....:mad:

jc

699 for a balcony, where??

I wasn't calling names. I don't expect the food to be 5 michelin stars but it had better be somewhat above *edible*. And while I agree there are people who want servants at their beck and call, there are some employees who are either rude or impersonable, treat the pax like they're an inconvenience, so on and so on was the point i was trying to make. If you paid out X amount of dollars but had rude service, waiters that left your glass empty, crappy food, etc you'd be less inclined to chose that line in the future am I right or am I right?

And, at the same time I realize these poor people work hard and the cruise line is making a huge profit and stiffing the passengers with their payroll bill. NOT COOL. Just imagine what they're saving in paper from not having to cut checks and administrative costs from not having a payroll department. The least they could do is ensure the pax have a good time.

I highly doubt ANY of this service charge is going to the wait staff. Maybe a small percentage, but most of it is going right into RCCL's pockets.

I know what you are saying, Gordon. Cruise prices now are cheaper than they were back in "the good old days".......but you are NOT getting the same product as you were back then either. I know that you understand my point of view, too, because you have been cruising a long time and have seen the changes.

Crew staff have been cut, so they are overworked. (especially the room stewards). Food quality is not the same, unless you "pay extra" for the specialty dining. Now they're starting to charge for room service. And the list goes on and on.

I guess there are 2 trains of thought..........those that like the "a la carte" concept & don't mind the nickle-n-diming, and those that would prefer the "all-inclusive" concept like they used to have.

Peace. :)

Denise, you're correct but this is the way that mass market cruising is moving and Royal is now a full fledged mass market line. I think that the good old days that many of us remember are gone for good. The only way to get back to that era of cruising is to move up to the deluxe lines. Happy new year. :)

699 for a balcony, where?? I wasn't calling names. I was offended. I felt that the poster of that comment was lumping poor people into a category of their own. I don't expect the food to be 5 michelin stars but it had better be somewhat above *edible*. I agree there are people who want servants at their beck and call, but at the same time these poor people work hard and the cruise line is making a huge profit and stiffing the passengers with their payroll bill. NOT COOL. Just imagine what they're saving in paper from not having to cut checks and administrative costs!

I highly doubt ANY of this service charge is going to the wait staff.

The cruise lines still have administrative costs as they pay the crew a wage. Some more than others. Many of the crew on board do not have their wages supplemented by the paying guests on board.

As far as the food being edible, I have to laugh at that comment. From what I have witnessed in the buffet lines, it sure looks as though the food is edible to me. :rolleyes:

Denise, you're correct but this is the way that mass market cruising is moving and Royal is now a full fledged mass market line. I think that the good old days that many of us remember are gone for good. The only way to get back to that era of cruising is to move up to the deluxe lines. Happy new year. :)

I agree with you, but it still makes me a little sad. RCCL used to be so "special", and is now just another mediocre mass-market line. :(

And yes, I think that those that are disenchanted with their move to "pay extra" for everything should make their feelings known with their wallets & switch to a different line. Just as I will do after my upcoming Jewel of the Seas cruise.

I guess that now I will keep RCCL in reserve for when I want a basic, cheap mass-market cruise experience. What a shame.

The cruise lines still have administrative costs as they pay the crew a wage. Some more than others. Many of the crew on board do not have their wages supplemented by the paying guests on board.

As far as the food being edible, I have to laugh at that comment. From what I have witnessed in the buffet lines, it sure looks as though the food is edible to me. :rolleyes:

I was under the estimation that they were not paid a wage, at least not MOST of the ones that deal with us directly, but I knew the captain, the engineer and those guys DID get paid. And I know the food's *edible* but i mean if they're going to start charing EXTRA for stuff it'd better be worth it, is my opinion. I just hope that they don't go shooting themselves in the foot with this maneouver is all, and I really hope that the guys that work hard for the tips get them and the guys that slack off, don't. Because a mutual pot of tips split however many ways isn't that great of an idea... the guys that slack off still get tips regardless of the service they give. Doesn't really leave anything left for a "motivational tool" does it? :D

I was under the estimation that they were not paid a wage, at least not MOST of the ones that deal with us directly, but I knew the captain, the engineer and those guys DID get paid. And I know the food's *edible* but i mean if they're going to start charing EXTRA for stuff it'd better be worth it, is my opinion. I just hope that they don't go shooting themselves in the foot with this maneouver is all, and I really hope that the guys that work hard for the tips get them and the guys that slack off, don't. Because a mutual pot of tips split however many ways isn't that great of an idea... the guys that slack off still get tips regardless of the service they give. Doesn't really leave anything left for a "motivational tool" does it? :D

All crew members are paid a wage by the cruise lines. They are also covered with health care too. Also, many of the crew members working on the ship do so because they can make three or four times the money on the ship compared to what they would make back home. There are always going to be crew members tugging at passengers heart strings about how much they have to work. Guess what, they want more of your money for tips.;)

When Royal Caribbean started charging for Johnny Rocket's, the outrage on here was unbelievable. Some of the same folks posting on this thread posted on those same JR threads about how they were not going to cruise with RCI anymore. Guess what? They're back cruising with RCI. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot then and I don't think this surcharge is going to turn many away. Most passengers do not even know who or what a Cruise Critic is to have a heads up about the change and many are new cruisers that will not even know the difference.

All crew members are paid a wage by the cruise lines. They are also covered with health care too. Also, many of the crew members working on the ship do so because they can make three or four times the money on the ship compared to what they would make back home. There are always going to be crew members tugging at passengers heart strings about how much they have to work. Guess what, they want more of your money for tips.;)

When Royal Caribbean started charging for Johnny Rocket's, the outrage on here was unbelievable. Some of the same folks posting on this thread posted on those same JR threads about how they were not going to cruise with RCI anymore. Guess what? They're back cruising with RCI. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot then and I don't think this surcharge is going to turn many away. Most passengers do not even know who or what a Cruise Critic is to have a heads up about the change and many are new cruisers that will not even know the difference.

Exactly right.

The next announcement :

Golf Course will have a Per ball Service Charge of $2.95 with $.25 cents per putt if over 30 Total putts except between the hours of 12 - 5 AM if you have room service delivered to the Golf Putting Area.

Pool Chairs can be reserved on a basis of :

Within two Feet of Pool - $2.00 per Day ( will get wet)

More than Two Feet less than 10 - $5.00

Climbing Area - will be $5.00 unless you reach top

Bar Drinks Pricing will be based on amount of Ice within glass or used for drink

Main Dining - There will be nominal charge for Seating ( you may stand and eat for free)

We have only been cruising since 2000 and have seen many changes not all for the better especially on Carnival, reason we made the jump to RCCI.

There has been a change in clientèle, say what you wish about status or money or social class. But with the changes that have made cruising so much more affordable to people who may not have been able to cruise before we have seen a big change in behaviors of many on ship.

That is not to say there isn't "trash" in every social level (as one poster put it) but we started see VERY bad behavior in the last few years, that we saw very little of before. :(

Perhaps part of the uproar comes from the timing. They announced it less than two days before it was in effect. It would be an easy thing to make a change like this, have a date 30-60 days in the future, and even include the notice in one of the many emails I get from them. Cruisers would have notice that it was coming, and the uproar would be smaller (IMHO). But to announce a change the week your cruise leaves . . .

Exactly... it would be much more palatable if the effective date of this change started with sailings that have not yet reached their final payment deadline. That would be the honest way to treat the customers.

Theron

Did RCI eleminate the Fuel charge? We're sailing on 5/10/09, we will be paying the balance of the cruise this month. If that's the case I am guessing our fee for sailing will go down?

Don't worry folks

Crown and Anchor will most likely include a couple free Room Service coupons in the next books.

1-Free Room Service from 12 - 6 pm

1-50% off Room Service Fee

Free Bottle of Champagne if you order Room Service everynight on a 10 night cruise (Only Available from 12 to 6 am)

that is a deal; I often order room service on cruises; I generall tip about $5-10.00 dollars; depending on how much food is ordered; so Royal Carribbean is letting me off the hook; I can just pay $3.95 and the tip is included YEAH... (but seriously, I will probably still tip extra; depending on how quick we get our food).

Did RCI eleminate the Fuel charge? We're sailing on 5/10/09, we will be paying the balance of the cruise this month. If that's the case I am guessing our fee for sailing will go down?

Yes, they eliminated the fuel surcharge for sailings departing on or after 1/1/2009.

From the Royal Caribbean website:

Fuel Supplement Information

December 5, 2008, Update

We have suspended our fuel supplement for Royal Caribbean International sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, anywhere in the world.

The decision reflects the recently sustained lower price of fuel.

Effective Monday, December 8, guests making new bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, will not be charged the fuel supplement.

Guests already booked on sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, will receive a refund of any fuel supplement paid, as follows:

• Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are now paid in full, will have the supplement automatically refunded to them in the form of an onboard credit during their sailing.
  • Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are not yet paid in full, will have the supplement automatically removed from their outstanding balance.

We reserves the right to reinstate fuel supplement charges if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel, on the quarterly milestone dates mentioned in the company's October 24, 2008, press release.

We announced on October 24, 2008, that no fuel supplement would be charged for new bookings made on or after November 10, 2008, for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010, unless there is an upturn in fuel prices. Today's announcement does not affect those previous terms.

There you go. Some just don't get it and never will. People have a choice. Keep the prices lower and pay for the extras that "YOU" want or pay more for the cruise which includes the extras that "everyone" wants. You have a choice. Actually you have two choices. If you don't like it move on to another cruise line. Funny that most don't and continue to sail with RCI. Says something right there. As stated in an earlier post, this thread has become very amusing.:D

I guess it says that we can talk about issues we like and dislike about RCI without being dense enough to realize that we still generally like the product.

I am surprised by this. While on the Mariner, we were in a suite, our grown children were in a balcony next door. Often after a day in port we would all go back to our suite and order for all of us. My son can eat like I have never seen so we were placing large orders. They never said a word, never asked how many people. Only time we were ever asked how many people was if we ordered a pot of coffee, I assumed that was so they knew how many mugs to put on the tray.

Maybe the ships all have different policies; that would not be surprising.

Maybe it was because you were in a suite?

They didn't offer an explanation, but when I called down to ask why I was missing a fruit plate, or bread basket, whatever it was, the answer I got was that I had ordered too much food for the amount of people in my room.

I usually order from room service 2 times per cruise, if that. It's much easier to go to the WJ or the CL and just take what is needed and bring it back to the room. I'd love them to ask some of the buffet people how many people were going to eat the food they pile on their plates.

I guess it says that we can talk about issues we like and dislike about RCI without being dense enough to realize that we still generally like the product.

No what I was referring to were the ones in the past that posted they were leaving RCI and moving to a new cruise line over the new policies. My comment was that they are back. Guess the grass is not always greener on the other side. :rolleyes:

I know what you are saying, Gordon. Cruise prices now are cheaper than they were back in "the good old days".......but you are NOT getting the same product as you were back then either. I know that you understand my point of view, too, because you have been cruising a long time and have seen the changes.

Crew staff have been cut, so they are overworked. (especially the room stewards). Food quality is not the same, unless you "pay extra" for the specialty dining. Now they're starting to charge for room service. And the list goes on and on.

I guess there are 2 trains of thought..........those that like the "a la carte" concept & don't mind the nickle-n-diming, and those that would prefer the "all-inclusive" concept like they used to have.

Peace. :)

But cruise prices WOULD be as high as they were in the good old days if the cruise lines could charge them and still fill up the ships..... and they would still cut back on the services. They are not cutting back prices to give us a break. Prices are what they are because of supply and demand pure and simple.

Just ask someone who has to sail during peak time like school break. They get to pay old time prices for todays watered down experience. Those extra charges on the ship don't disappear on the weeks that people pay twice as much to cruise as the folks that were on the exact same cruise the week before. Now they will get to pay twice as much AND pay for room service. What a deal.

In all of our cruises, we only ordered room service a couple times in the morning, basically coffee, so the surcharge doesn't affect me at all. I do think it's a shame to charge a surcharge for room service, but then again, there must be a lot of poeple that order just for the heck of it during those crazy hours. We always have late dinner seating so I can't even imagine thinking about food the rest of the night. The Johnny Rockets surcharge never bothered me. That's cheap and your getting served and can have whatever you want. That surcharge did away with the large line of people waiting to get in as well, and it's no longer a kid hangout.

I think on ships where coffee and snacks are available 24 hours, they can charge the surcharge for room service at those hours since the guest can take a walk and get their own (which is what we prefer to do anyway), but the ships where nothing is available, I wouldn't want to pay $3.95 for a cup of coffee delivered to our cabin.

Guess we'll see how it works out.

Exactly!!!!!!!! If the room service fee goes up to $10, will that also be Ok with some folks? :confused: Reserving a deck chair will be $15, will that also be acceptable to a lot of cruisers?

Once it starts, it will not stop.

Yes, because some folks know we don't own the ship, they do. We can choose whether or not to go on their ship....simple! Once it starts, it will not stop, but we don't have to go. No one is dragging anyone on these cruise ship. The unfortunate enticement is from the internet, that shows the cheap special to people who are clueless about how expensive these vacations can be, or any vacation. I quit going to Disneyland when they lowered the adult rate to age 9 and increase the price of a hot dog to $5. I am sure they didn't miss me one bit but my friends kept going. When I wanted a vacation with free drinks, I booked an A/I in Mexico and Jamaica. When I wanted a cruise with water slide and kiddies, I booked Carnival. When I wanted a cruise with a big more elegance but never tried, I booked Princess. Now RCCL is offering the things I like to do on land (less the free alcohol) with the things I like about cruising and I am say heck...WHY NOT.

I predict that in the next 20-30 years these lines are going to dock some of mega ships and offer then as stationary resort at port. They will offer day passes similar to all inclusive resort. Not exactly my idea of cruising, but it might be for my kids who who will be about my age by then. This might sound crazy but no more than if someone had said, it's possible to get a balcony for $699, 20 years ago. Yes, I booked a aft balcony for $100 per night (including tax and port charge). The biggest change many of you are missing is how truly affordable this type of vacation has become. My vacations include everything from camping, crusing, Disney and all inclusive. The value for cruising is still the best, but not always cheap. I risk hurricane in Mexico and Jamaica in summer months, because I can't afford crusing at this time. I choose what by budget can handle.

Where do you think they were going to make up the difference?

You can only get but so much cheap labor from developing countries to work long hours for tips, some even complain about giving. Most of us will never be aboard another ship when these 'poor' workers say enough.

For long time cruisers, yes there is a definite change in the behavior of today's passengers that you would never see years ago. Also, the cruise line would have been much quicker to correct the misbehavior then as opposed to now.

As someone pointed out, they need every passenger they can get to fill up these giant ships to make it cost effective to do the sailing. Wherever they have to go to find the passengers, so be it. Whatever crazy pricing they have to offer them to sail, it being done at the expense of passengers who cannot qualify for the lower prices (not a senior or no state discount, etc.). What RCL didn't count on was lower on-board revenue from the shops, bars, etc. If you market a cruise as "all inclusive" (which all the major lines do and then wonder why passengers expect that it will be so) and then when a newbie finds out that this and that have extra charges, that's where the reins are pulled in and the extra spending stops. The more extra charges RCL imposes, the less revenue from that item they will take in.

True RCL's marketing campaign is working -- RCL is getting the mass marketing passenger, but they are spending less on the cabin and on board because without the lower cruise fares they would not be taking a cruise in the first place. It's a 2-edge sword. Fill up the ships anyway you can and then charge extra for whatever you can to make up for the loss revenue.

As it is, many passengers do not use the rock climbing wall, play mini golf, see the ice show/nightly shows, etc. yet the associated cost is included in their cruise fare.

The major sources of revenue for RCL are the casino, the bars and the shops, photos, bingo, etc. If they do not pull in enough revenue (and they have already seen the drop due to less passenger spending), RCL is desperately looking for new sources.

Without a midnight buffet, the staff has less opportunity to work more hours and earn more money. If you impose a $3.95 surcharge on RS between 12-6 AM, chances are none of it makes it to the staff. Passengers may or may not tip additional on top of the $3.95 surcharge. The staff are the ones who lose, not RCL since no matter the size of the order they get their $3.95.

MARAPRINCE

We spent $1200 pp on our honeymoon cruise 30 years ago for an outside cabin (porthole, nonetheless) on Song of Norway. That same cabin today with a modest 4% increase per year would book for approximately $3,000 pp. I doubt those complaining about the late night fee for RS, speciality dining cost or fuel surcharge would chose to pay a premium cruise fare instead.

Anyone want to book a week's cruise in a porthole cabin for $3,000 pp? Like the good ole' days, it'll come with a big hershey bar in your room each night! :D

Trudy

Archived