$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

I have cruised many lines before... Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Princess, and Costa. My two favorite lines are Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I was annoyed with several things on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. First, they charged for Johnny Rockets, a burger restaurant on the ship, which was once free. I was even more ANNOYED with the fact that the band played AT MOST for two hours a day (there was one day when it was cloudy and they just decided to NOT play at all). I have read that this is not consistent throughout their fleet - two person "bands" that play for two hours max a day. How about Carnival's reggae bands which are at the pool for 5 hours a day and are usually 4 person bands. NOW, Royal Caribbean is charging for room service ordered between 12 and 5 am! I am SURE that they will slowly turn this into a fee no matter the time once we are forced to get over it and accept the fact.

Royal Caribbean has crossed the line. I cruised the Imagination after my RCCL cruise. The band hours and quality was great. The LOBSTER was great, and so was the ROOM SERVICE. The SMALL THINGS are the things that matter sometimes. Yes, the rock walls and ice rinks are great, but I cruise to CRUISE. I cruise for the lobster, the room service, the great staff, the all-inclusive vacation feel. I was going to alter Carnival and Royal Caribbeam for future cruises, but this is IT. Carnival it is.

Not only is RCCL more expensive, but the nickel and diming is ridiculous. I do not see how some of you can justify. First you tried to make excuses for Johnny Rockets (ok yea there were lines, don't take advantage of the consumer though), then for the bands and live entertainment cutbacks... now room service! There are NO excuses. Sorry for the negative, but I am very annoyed and fed up with the cutbacks.

Royal Caribbean, you should be ashamed. The answer is now simple: we will be cruising on the new Carnival Dream next year... not the Oasis or Liberty of the seas.

If a $3.95 room service fee sends you to Carnival then RCL isnt missing out on much.

Can you point me to the ridiculously low cruise prices for those of us who live here in FL. I have yet to run into them.

We live 20 minutes from Port Everglades and just booked the Nav for a 2 night cruise at $69 pp. We thought that was ridiculously low. We also cruise a cpl times a year on the Maj 3 nighter for and $120 pp. $40 per person per day is low even with some of the additional revenue generators RCL has.

Regarding the cost of an All Inclusive vacation and a cruise - we've done both and I have to say that I feel an all inclusive vacation is much cheaper than a cruise! We spent an entire 7 nights at a gorgeous all inclusive resort and it was at least 1/3 cheaper than what a 7 night cruise cost us. The all inclusive cost included airfare, transportation from and to the airport, 7 night stay, all food at any hour that you wanted it, all liquor, all softdrinks, all snacks and all tips!!! Why do I cruise???? Because I love cruising, I love being on a ship, I love the ocean, but I do think it's more expensive than an all inclusive land vacation.

We have never ordered RS at that hour of the night, but if we ever did, I'd feel embarrassed not to tip the person that delivered it, but if we're paying $3.95 no matter how much we order (full meal or just a cup of coffee), are we expected to tip as well or is that included in the $3.95???

LOL........will this cause people to bring an electric coffee pot to make coffee or hot water for tea? LOL Just kidding, but some might consider it.:D:D

Patty

We live 20 minutes from Port Everglades and just booked the Nav for a 2 night cruise at $69 pp. We thought that was ridiculously low. We also cruise a cpl times a year on the Maj 3 nighter for and $120 pp. $40 per person per day is low even with some of the additional revenue generators RCL has.

Is that just for FL residents or is it available to all customers? I have yet to see resident rates for cruises that rival anything Disney (not cruises) offers to FL residents.

We do, munchies!! Gonna have to order everything on the dang menu now, just to get my 'moneys' worth! All $3.95 of it! Shoot!

I'm with you! We order late night munchies just because we can. It's usually the dessert---part of the cruise experience for my young son that enjoys room service. I usually tip them well anyway so no big whoop. I'll be glad to not have to look for dollar bills to give out. This just might make me order even more! :p

My daughter and I keep ridiculously unpredictable hours when we sail....and I don't mind saying usually used room service EVERY night. I am very upset by this change, as the last few cruises weren't up to what we have come to expect from RCI anyway. Now this? It's a bit of a slap in the face to us "non-traditional" types...who run around doing all the activities we can fit in by day and skip the dining room several nights, eating a late lunch and anticipating a 1 a.m. "dinner"!

Do I get a discount for all the times we miss the main dining room to average all this out?

And no, its not the money...we spend MORE than enough onboard on a cruise, TYVM...its the PRINCIPLE.

If this is the new "policy" on the "all inclusive except for sodas, drinks, Johnny Rockets, ice cream........." RCI boats, when ordering room service and they ask what I would like, I will simply say "bring it all". Perhaps this will send a message if done by enough passengers!

My guess is a lot of people aren't tipping. Most people who work midnight and after in the U.S. get an extra amount in their salary.

RCCL is registered in the Bahamas and as such has no real alignment with the United States of America. We really can't expect U.S. standards to be applied. Particularly when you consider that most of their cruise days are not in U.S. waters but, in fact, the waters of other countries.

There is a really informative article about gratuities and salaries listed in 'Under the Captains' Table'. It dispels some of the myths about salary parity for ships' staff - particularly those employed from countries other than the U.S.

In Australia we are becoming more prone to tipping but it is definitely to reward service; not to supplement wages. Having lived in San Diego for three years, I fully understand the difference.

I do leave the auto tip in place and also tip the cabin Steward and dining room staff if their service warrants - so far it always has.

Having just said that, I do object to additional fees imposed for those things that were always 'inclusive'. I would rather see the cost built into the fare.:)

LOL........will this cause people to bring an electric coffee pot to make coffee or hot water for tea? LOL Just kidding, but some might consider it.:D:D

Patty

You are right! :D I know a girl on another cruise board that says that she always takes her own coffeepot! :eek:

Welcome to what land vacations are all about, easily:D. How much do you think it cost for a week's vacation in California? Many get all that right now for a mere $100 per night....balcony to boot!

If I wanted to go on a land vacation I would book one.:rolleyes:

If a $3.95 room service fee sends you to Carnival then RCL isnt missing out on much.

I don't think it is the $3.95 that pushed him over the edge. The poster listed a number of things that drove his decision. Maybe you conveniently decided to overlook that?

And as far as RCI not missing out on much, it appears that one of their ships will be sailing with an empty cabin that otherwise was going to be occupied. How many of these cabins would YOU say that it takes before RCI is actually missing out on something?

I do Believe the 3.95 is just like Johnny Rockets, I mean think about it, it's not to nickle and dime people if tip is included, it's just as the Johnny Rockets surcharge....Just a way to make People/Teens/& Late nite partiers, Acctually stop and consider if they're really that Hungry or not before a late night food order, Before the Charge it was just way too easy for people to order food on a whim, and then let most of it go to waste.

If it's free, you just grab the phone and order, if it's 3:95 each time, you pause to consider how bad you really need it or not, That's all this is,......So please people calm down just a bit,.....Thay are just trying to cut down on food waste so thay can keep cruise fares cheeper. It makes perfect sence, and I do not blame them at all,.....In fact it helps us all in the end.

I do Believe the 3.95 is just like Johnny Rockets, I mean think about it, it's not to nickle and dime people if tip is included, it's just as the Johnny Rockets surcharge....Just a way to make People/Teens/& Late nite partiers, Acctually stop and consider if they're really that Hungry or not before a late night food order, Before the Charge it was just way too easy for people to order food on a whim, and then let most of it go to waste.

If it's free, you just grab the phone and order, if it's 3:95 each time, you pause to consider how bad you really need it or not, That's all this is,......So please people calm down just a bit,.....Thay are just trying to cut down on food waste so thay can keep cruise fares cheeper. It makes perfect sence, and I do not blame them at all,.....In fact it helps us all in the end.

And you are absolutely entitled to believe as you do. However, what you believe and makes perfect sense is not necessarily what others believe or makes perfect sense.

As for keeping cruise fares cheaper, the only thing that is going to do that is lack of demand for the product not a $3.95 additional charge for Johnny Rocket's or for room service. Once again, ask anyone who cruises on a peak vacation week. The cruise lines charge sky high prices for the cruise and all of the additional charges are still there. Why?......because they CAN.

Aren't teens and late night partiers entitled to the same service as other cruisers? They (or their parents) pay their fare. Why target them? The other thing that bothers me is that the money probably won't even go to the servers who deliver the food (my son is left with small bills to tip the servers).

Once again point was missed,......Yes Teens and Partiers are entitaled to the same service,.........Was not a cut at them at all,........was pointing out that if room service is too easy to order late at night, way too many people of all type and ages, sober or not order stuff they're never going to eat, just on a whim, or just because they can,.....not because thay're acctually that hungry,......so to cut down on some of the food waste, (and therefore keep the price of you're cruise down),.....thay ad a small (Nominal) charge, not as a way to keep actual hungry people from enjoing late night room service, but instead a way to just make people pause and consider for a secound if thay acctually want it that bad in the first place,.....

If it's easy and free, some people order food and then never eat it.

but if you gotta pay even a little, then most likely you're acctually eat most if not all the food you ordered,

It's just basic phsycology, not a big conspericy against Cruisers, Teens, The Sober, Or The Drinking, Just a way to help keep Cruising costs down for EVERYBODY.

.....Or I guess you'd rather they go back to any hour free room service, but raise everybodys cruise price by a few bucks a day instead to cover it, whether they use room service or not? - yeah that sounds fair to me too. (Not!):)

To each his own I guess, happy Cruising anyway, one and all!

Once again point was missed,......Yes Teens and Partiers are entitaled to the same service,.........Was not a cut at them at all,........was pointing out that if room service is too easy to order late at night, way too many people of all type and ages, sober or not order stuff they're never going to eat, just on a whim, or just because they can,.....not because thay're acctually that hungry,......so to cut down on some of the food waste, (and therefore keep the price of you're cruise down),.....thay ad a small (Nominal) charge, not as a way to keep actual hungry people from enjoing late night room service, but instead a way to just make people pause and consider for a secound if thay acctually want it that bad in the first place,.....

If it's easy and free, some people order food and then never eat it.

but if you gotta pay even a little, then most likely you're acctually eat most if not all the food you ordered,

It's just basic phsycology, not a big conspericy against Cruisers, Teens, The Sober, Or The Drinking, Just a way to help keep Cruising costs down for EVERYBODY.

.....Or I guess you'd rather they go back to any hour free room service, but raise everybodys cruise price by a few bucks a day instead to cover it, whether they use room service or not? - yeah that sounds fair to me too. (Not!):)

To each his own I guess, happy Cruising anyway, one and all!

Actually, if they can add on a few bucks to the price of the cruise and still sell the product they will do it whether the charge for room service is in place or not. Basic psychology? Nope, it is basic business.

If I wanted to go on a land vacation I would book one.:rolleyes:

Congratulations:D

I realize the informed travelers know about change and extra charge on land/sea and in life overall. They understand, like you, they have a choice, where they spend their time and money. However SOME of the whiners, I need everything for nothing, get more pay less, belong at home, deal grabbing, the $6 burger is true gourmet, because it cost more than the Big Mac, ripped jeans is formal wear, the ship won't sail without me, I am the reason RCCL exist, UNIFORMED, thinking travelers, DON'T. Some are clueless to fact that going some place else might simple leave room for others to enjoy. However, they won't go because the OBC, other perks, and overall product RCCL offers to some is still worth more than the additional charge they choose to whine about. One of the biggest reason the business can exist is not because of them, but the cheap labor available from third world countries. The said labor they have nothing against stiffing on what amounts to pennies. Now my eye roll:rolleyes:. Nah, a smile is more my style:D, less wrinkles!

Before you add more gasoline to the torch, I said SOME:D:p

Pauline

Archived