$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

That is suprising that they shortned your room order. I have seen their fruit plates and they are not that big.

Exactly, but I think they said it was for '2 people', as were the breadbaskets, so my order was supposedly enough to feed 8 people :confused: (I had ordered it for 5 people, which included 3 teens.)

This happened when I used the written menus that you check off the night before. When they questioned me on a phone order, I could explain that it was for several people. Still, I found it annoying having to explain exactly why I was ordering what I was, because my orders were never that big to begin with.

This happened on Explorer but I was also questioned very carefully when I ordered RS on Brilliance. Maybe they have a secret file on me that I don't know about.

While reading this thread I couldnt help but think of our Nov 28th Majesty cruise. On the pool deck they added a vending type machine that you put cash into for some type of spray suntan lotion. Didnt bother me but just seems to be more and more alacart onboard. We passed on the $14.95 steak too.

That is suprising that they shortned your room order. I have seen their fruit plates and they are not that big.

Exactly, but I think they said it was for '2 people', as were the breadbaskets, so my order was supposedly enough to feed 8 people :confused: (I had ordered it for 5 people, which included 3 teens.)

This happened when I used the written menus that you check off the night before. When they questioned me on a phone order, I could explain that it was for several people. Still, I found it annoying having to explain exactly why I was ordering what I was, because my orders were never that big to begin with.

This happened on Explorer but I was also questioned very carefully when I ordered RS on Brilliance. Maybe they have a secret file on me that I don't know about.

I am surprised by this. While on the Mariner, we were in a suite, our grown children were in a balcony next door. Often after a day in port we would all go back to our suite and order for all of us. My son can eat like I have never seen so we were placing large orders. They never said a word, never asked how many people. Only time we were ever asked how many people was if we ordered a pot of coffee, I assumed that was so they knew how many mugs to put on the tray.

For me it will stop when the extra charges stop and it costs a LOT more to cruise. How about they just add a few hundred dollars to everyone's cruise fare? Then anyone who doesn't use the RS, or spa or solarium or JR's can pay for it too. I would prefer to have the choice of all the add-ons and not pay more for my cruise. I think it's one or the other...that is the only way cruise lines will survive.

There you go. Some just don't get it and never will. People have a choice. Keep the prices lower and pay for the extras that "YOU" want or pay more for the cruise which includes the extras that "everyone" wants. You have a choice. Actually you have two choices. If you don't like it move on to another cruise line. Funny that most don't and continue to sail with RCI. Says something right there. As stated in an earlier post, this thread has become very amusing.:D

I am surprised by this. While on the Mariner, we were in a suite, our grown children were in a balcony next door. Often after a day in port we would all go back to our suite and order for all of us. My son can eat like I have never seen so we were placing large orders. They never said a word, never asked how many people. Only time we were ever asked how many people was if we ordered a pot of coffee, I assumed that was so they knew how many mugs to put on the tray.

I use room service quite a bit and have never had them say anything about the amount of food that I order. They do ask for the number in the party so they know the number of silverware to send.

Yes, but where will you stop thinking it's acceptable? When there's a $3.95 charge for the solarium? $3.95 entertainment fee for a show? $3.95 for the spa hot tub? $3.95 for use of a tender, $4.95 if used as a lifeboat?

Come on! It's only 3. 95 folks!

Exactly!!!!!!!! If the room service fee goes up to $10, will that also be Ok with some folks? :confused: Reserving a deck chair will be $15, will that also be acceptable to a lot of cruisers?

Once it starts, it will not stop.

Exactly!!!!!!!! If the room service fee goes up to $10, will that also be Ok with some folks? :confused: Reserving a deck chair will be $15, will that also be acceptable to a lot of cruisers?

Would you rather they just up the price of the cruise two or three hundred dollars a person to cover things that you may or may not use or would you rather they allow you to make the choice of what you want to pay for without having to pay for everyone else? Why not make the cruise totally inclusive? Let's just raise the price to cover it all so that I can drink alcohol until it's coming out of my ears, dine in Portofino or Chops each night,etc. Would that be fair to the ones that don't want to drink or use those dining facilities? Don't think so which is why the cruise lines are giving you a choice.

In December of 2004 we cruised on the Navigator in a JS. The price was $1699.00 per person for that cabin. I just checked the same week for the Liberty since the Navigator no longer does the seven night itinerary. The price for the same JS is $1649.00 per person. Actually $50.00 per person less. Do you think that the cost of doing business has risen for the cruise lines in that five year span? How do you suggest that they make up the difference?

In December of 2004 we cruised on the Navigator in a JS. The price was $1699.00 per person for that cabin. I just checked the same week for the Liberty since the Navigator no longer does the seven night itinerary. The price for the same JS is $1649.00 per person. Actually $50.00 per person less. Do you think that the cost of doing business has risen for the cruise lines in that five year span? How do you suggest that they make up the difference?

They got rid of the midnight buffet altogether, increased the cost of drinks, shore tours, decreased staff, etc

I don't know, why don't we ask all the people in the US that work 3rd shift and are glad just to have a job.

Most of those who work the midnight/3rd shift in the US only work 8 hour shift. It is my understanding that those who work on the cruise ships are required to work more then 8 hours.

They got rid of the midnight buffet altogether, increased the cost of drinks, shore tours, decreased staff, etc

That's right. They raised the prices of on board revenue making items. It's your choice to buy them or not. You either pay up front or pay on board. Not too hard to understand for most. Also, I have noticed no decrease in staff or service on board any RCI ship.

Oh, I absolutley love this idea!!!! I would gladly pay $15 for a deck chair!!!! For it never fails we will rise early, dress, have our breakfast and head for the pools, only to find the best seats with towels and books loaded on them, and they sit that way for hours, no person in sight.

Especially in the Solarium!!! Most the time we were hard press to ever find two seats together in the Solarium no matter how early we got up there, yet there were tons of chairs with no bodies in them. And we never saw the staff enforce the no saving policy much to our dismay!!!

So do it like concert tickets reserve your chair for the week or just sea days and lay down your money!!! I'd do it in a heart beat!!! :D

A big harsh but none the less the truth. I don't agree about killing ourselves by over eating is OK. Maybe big brother but in the real world there are changes in the way food is sold and prepared to address this problem. Obesity in American is NOT an individual problem but a national one. Schools no longer provide certain snacks. A country with a questionable health care system but raging rate of heart disease and diabetics, as a result of obesity is not good, in my opinion. I mistakenly thought most people are sound asleep at 5 in the morning...my bad:D

Yes, some schools are restricting some of the foods they offer students. However, it is my humble opinion that they should be offering more gym/physed classes to the students. Being over weight is not just from too much eating; it is also from lack of activity. Most of the schools that I have come into contact with do not have daily physical education classes as part of their daily class schedule. (I do work for a school system, by the way).

Perhaps part of the uproar comes from the timing. They announced it less than two days before it was in effect. It would be an easy thing to make a change like this, have a date 30-60 days in the future, and even include the notice in one of the many emails I get from them. Cruisers would have notice that it was coming, and the uproar would be smaller (IMHO). But to announce a change the week your cruise leaves . . . :eek:

I'm in the "no big deal" category, but nonetheless, the timing stinks.

"They" didnt announce it..I just gave a heads up on it :)

And for those of us who don't share your faith . . . ? :confused:

Perhaps part of the uproar comes from the timing. They announced it less than two days before it was in effect. It would be an easy thing to make a change like this, have a date 30-60 days in the future, and even include the notice in one of the many emails I get from them. Cruisers would have notice that it was coming, and the uproar would be smaller (IMHO). But to announce a change the week your cruise leaves . . . :eek:

I'm in the "no big deal" category, but nonetheless, the timing stinks.

Although I am not upset about the charge, I see your point. We leave on a cruise on Monday and have not received any notification of the charge. I guess they thought we'd figure it out on ship, I agree announcing it more in advance would have been better, but most likely they would have been flooded with a zillion phone calls people complaining as so many like to do.

Oh, I absolutley love this idea!!!! I would gladly pay $15 for a deck chair!!!! For it never fails we will rise early, dress, have our breakfast and head for the pools, only to find the best seats with towels and books loaded on them, and they sit that way for hours, no person in sight.

Especially in the Solarium!!! Most the time we were hard press to ever find two seats together in the Solarium no matter how early we got up there, yet there were tons of chairs with no bodies in them. And we never saw the staff enforce the no saving policy much to our dismay!!!

So do it like concert tickets reserve your chair for the week or just sea days and lay down your money!!! I'd do it in a heart beat!!! :D

Actually at one time, guests did pay for their deck chairs. This was years ago and before I started cruising but there are some on the boards that can remember that far back.:)

Actually at one time, guests did pay for their deck chairs. This was years ago and before I started cruising but there are some on the boards that can remember that far back.:)

Well, I am all for them bringing it back. We are not the type to get up early and run up there to throw our stuff on a chair till we get ready to go sit, as so many do. And I am also not the type to watch a chair and after a time remove someone elses things.

First post here on Cruise Critic but no stranger to RCI cruises (the wife and I have done many over the years) and I couldn't agree with you more. And in fact, I thought your post should be re-posted in case anyone missed it. You're 100% on point in my opinion.

As for my thoughts on the new late night room service fee, specifically:

Too many guests (kids, teenagers and adults alike) abused the free aspect of Johnny Rockets, so RCI implemented a $3.95 surcharge to discourage that behavior.

It looks like they have the same purpose in mind with the late night room service fee. Unfortunately, I believe there are more than a few guests who have abused the free room service (especially late at night) to the point that once again, RCI has come up with a plan to cut down on the abuse.

And I don't believe the abuse is only from Spring Breakers but rather a year 'round concern.

Yeah, find a cure for the problem that punishes the people who play by the rules. Sorry, but I will never buy into that type of thinking.:rolleyes:

As they say, "One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch". That's life and in this case, it's how business works too.

Would you rather they just up the price of the cruise two or three hundred dollars a person to cover things that you may or may not use or would you rather they allow you to make the choice of what you want to pay for without having to pay for everyone else? Why not make the cruise totally inclusive?

How do you suggest that they make up the difference?

I know what you are saying, Gordon. Cruise prices now are cheaper than they were back in "the good old days".......but you are NOT getting the same product as you were back then either. I know that you understand my point of view, too, because you have been cruising a long time and have seen the changes.

Crew staff have been cut, so they are overworked. (especially the room stewards). Food quality is not the same, unless you "pay extra" for the specialty dining. Now they're starting to charge for room service. And the list goes on and on.

I guess there are 2 trains of thought..........those that like the "a la carte" concept & don't mind the nickle-n-diming, and those that would prefer the "all-inclusive" concept like they used to have.

Peace. :)

In time I predict/hope price will be that only people who can truly afford will book, so no need to nickle and dime. As long as many people (speaking of the US market) are cruising for $100 per day, then this will happen. I suggest they increase the price and make it a vacation worth planning for and taking. Many people think the charge is OK because they reckon they can't do better anywhere in terms of value. I think the cruise line should say enough is enough to people who want these vacations but can't truly afford them.

hey hey hey waitaminit..... I'm one of those people who can't afford anything! People like us SAVE for everything in advance and for those of us who ARENT millionaires (or hell, thousandaires) the price INCLUSIVE OF AIRFARE and whatever else we're spending on hotels just to make it to the damn boat can sometimes be enough to break the bank, and so we think great, another surcharge. And just because we might be poor doesn't mean we act like a bunch of uncivilized meatheads. EVERY "social class" has their trash, enough with the freaking stereotypes already. I resent that comment, it's VERY offensive. And mutually exclusive.

I am one of those people who remembers. On the Home Lines Oceanic, we got to "rent" a specific deck chair for $5 for the whole week. We got a ticket to bring with us to our chair. It was great, and we could rent a whole bunch for groups who wanted to sun together. It worked. Back then drinks were $1each ... believe it. NO room service, but we got Caesar salad made at our dinner table every night ... and flaming baked Alaska.

And, we could get on the ship before it sailed for our own "sail away" party and then disembark before 1:00 p.m. (this was in NY) and watch the people sail away. It was so much fun. A short cruise to nowhere a week!

I agree. For some of the things i know what the cost is back home and it makes me sick, half the stuff isn't even that good anymore. I say if the lines are going to start implementing these changes they need to make sure everything is of some quality (note, i didn't say expensive just decent) and that their staff isn't surly, AND EDUCATED about how to do their job well. I don't tip people for services they didn't give me, and I certainly am not paying for something I didn't want / didn't use to begin with. I think letting the pax have a choice is a good idea that way people don't spend more than they intended. It's all corporate greed they should pay their staff a decent wage. Why do you think all the ships are registered in third world underdeveloped countries?

O, please, give me a break. The greed I see is the passenger that wants to pay 699 for a week with a balcony and expects the food to be michelin 5 star and wants to have servants available at their beck and call.

Why do you want to go off topic and start calling names? Seriously....:mad:

jc

Archived