$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

[quote name='Elizanessie']It is most certainly true ...it came from RCCL.

I am not in the habit of posting false info, I check and recheck with RCCL before I post news like this.[/quote]

Liz maybe Carnival infiltrated your email.

I am sure there are many that dont even tip. And this will help the staff as they do deserve it. They do work so hard. And I appreciate everyone of them.:)

But none the less if the tip is included I will still tip a few more dollars.

I need food some nights late as I need to help it soak up the alcohol.:confused:

I just hope they don't install pay toilets.:eek:

[quote name='pmshirl']I also agree it is another way for RC to nickle dime revenue!
All of the RC changes that they are coming out with has put a Bad taste in my mouth, and I may have liked their Ships better than other Cruisline Ships, but my money is good anywhere, so I will be seriously considering taking my $$$$ to another cruiseline when I complete my already booked cruise's with RC.

If RC would of stayed Loyal to me, maybe I could of stayed Loyal to them![/quote]

We have similar thoughts....I agree totally with what you have said. On my upcoming March cruise on Jewel of the Seas, I will reach my Diamond-Plus status. I have sailed on several different lines and have always preferred RCCL. But, I don't like the nickle-n-diming that they are doing and it seems to be getting worse and worse every year, and that makes me sad. Even though I have now gained my Diamond + status, we will be trying other lines.

So I am reading many posts that say that they don't mind the charge because they tip more than that anyway. That leads me to ask if you really won't tip more than the $3.95? I'll bet many people will tip more. Just like they say that the tip is included in the specialty dining rooms and most people seem to tip more there. So, for those that usually tip $3 or $4 for room service, do you plan on not tipping more or are you going to throw in some extra beyond the new charge?

[quote name='Latvish']Liz maybe Carnival infiltrated your email.

I am sure there are many that dont even tip. And this will help the staff as they do deserve it. They do work so hard. And I appreciate everyone of them.:)

But none the less if the tip is included I will still tip a few more dollars.

I need food some nights late as I need to help it soak up the alcohol.:confused:

I just hope they don't install pay toilets.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh!!!!! If they install pay toilets I will go broke!

[quote name='2112']So I am reading many posts that say that they don't mind the charge because they tip more than that anyway. That leads me to ask if you really won't tip more than the $3.95? I'll bet many people will tip more. Just like they say that the tip is included in the specialty dining rooms and most people seem to tip more there. So, for those that usually tip $3 or $4 for room service, do you plan on not tipping more or are you going to throw in some extra beyond the new charge?[/QUOTE]

I will be very honest here - no, I will not pay more than than what they are now charging. However, it's moot for us as we don't order RS after midnight.

[quote name='FL_Cruiser64']My dearest NOOTS friend, I have to disagree with you. :D

The question really is if the cruise lines are nickel and diming or simply trying to roll back prices and maybe over time increase some of the services and quality we were used to.

Technically, an RCI cruiser today can cruise for less money with many more amenities than a decade ago. But as it is wqith everything it is never good enough. Some want it all, for absolutely free or even better - with money back.

Our society has become a user society where certain things available for you are being 'abused'.

The service charge for room service is more than valid. What once was a convenience has now become an 'abuse' of the system. You have to just walk around the ship sometimes and see how many people put their trays out - still with food on it. I also need to mention that a lot of people do not even tip.

Look around in the WJ and see how many people load their trays just to leave most of the food. Instead of getting what you need it is more of "get as much as you can, its free".

Unfortunately people have not taken advantage of low cruise fares. Opening RCI up to the general mass market was a punishment RCI is trying to correct now. There is a lot of people cruising these days on RCI who couldn't afford RCI a few years back. It was a Carnival market. Carnival maintains its ships less (I just took pictures of a lot of rust spots), they are easier to maintain and have - generally - less amenities to maintain or less expensive equipment. Cleaning all the glass areas on a Radiance Class ship takes more time and cost more money and an ice rink (Voyager Class/Freedom Class) surely is more expensive to maintain than a water slide - just to name a couple of examples.

Every change you see is not nickle and diming. It is a measure to counteract the abuse of low fares, the abuse of services of convinience and the abuse of generally 'free' stuff.

Just look around this forum and almost every post is about price drops, OBC and how to save even more. Forgotten is that price drops is a 'hand shake' deal from RCI to its customers as a benefit for early booking. Yet, it is not enough. People complain that they are shut out of 'New Bookings Only' totally not understanding that sales events labeled as "New Bookings Only" is a way to fill the ship not necessarly a bonus for early bookers.

The thought behind price drops was simple: we give you the price drop and say thank you for an early booking and we hope you will spend the saved money on the ship anyways. But that is not happeneing.

OBC: once it was implemented as a help with your onboard bill to encourage you i.e. to book your future cruises on the ship. It was a planning method for RCI and it was rewarded with OBC. But the OBC is not being used anymore as a 'help' with your SeaPass bill, it has become a cash cow. The goal is: to cruise as cheaply as you can and spend as little money as uyou can.

A decade or so ago peole cruised with two pieces of luggage filled with formal and casual wear. You cruised because of the experience and the fun to eat, drink and see new things. Change of ports? No biggie. Serving a strange drink? no biggie. In today's time I see people walking on the ship with a piece of luggage which is smaller then my toiletry bag yet they check in cases of soda and water - either to save a dime here and there or they are incompetent and unwilling to change. No more formal or casual wear. The experience, the desire for the new is not existing anymore. A cruise is being used as a free for all, dam all the rules, policies and regulation and we will have it our way.

Change of ports: we sue for compensation.

You really telling me that cruise lines are nickel and diming? It would be a valid argument if cruise fares would have stayed on a level of 10 years ago or even increased but in today's time you can cruise for half the price in a balcony what most paid for a simple oceanview 10 or 15 years ago.

What you see now and the rest of 2009 is a reaction of the behavior of cruisers rather than a simple nickel and diming. Airlines nickel and dime. Their prices gradually increased over the years and services have been gradually cut back without increasing comfort. Cruise fares decreased over the years while increasing amenities and comfort. It was a system poorly put in place and simply abused.

RCI will take a chance at losing a nickel and diming passenger here and there (or as someone called it so nicely "stiffers"). They have realized that some loyalty began and ends with benefits rather than product and services. Products and services was what made RCI what they are today.

I talked to a few people over the last couple of months and every change they are currently making is a reaction to the abuse of the current system (from combining benefits all the way to revising the coupon books).

I could tell you about my last cruise I took and why I cruised for free but it would break the trust I have with a few people at RCI.

Right now RCI is creating the basis for the future and when I see the current changes and what I heard and experienced (my last cruise) I feel mighty good and I am absolutely confident that RCI will become the step above the rest again. Nickel and dime customers will always be welcome, with all their moaning and bitching about a $3.95 room service charge, but the days that I feel that I and others financial support RCI to give the nickel and dime cruisers a playground will be over soon.

I see some in this thread like PMShirl who should not worry. It may take a while but the rewards are coming...[/quote]
First post here on Cruise Critic but no stranger to RCI cruises (the wife and I have done many over the years) and I couldn't agree with you more. And in fact, I thought your post should be re-posted in case anyone missed it. You're 100% on point in my opinion.

As for my thoughts on the new late night room service fee, specifically:

Too many guests (kids, teenagers and adults alike) abused the free aspect of Johnny Rockets, so RCI implemented a $3.95 surcharge to discourage that behavior.

It looks like they have the same purpose in mind with the late night room service fee. Unfortunately, I believe there are more than a few guests who have abused the free room service (especially late at night) to the point that once again, RCI has come up with a plan to cut down on the abuse.

And I don't believe the abuse is only from Spring Breakers but rather a year 'round concern.

[quote name='2112']So I am reading many posts that say that they don't mind the charge because they tip more than that anyway. That leads me to ask if you really won't tip more than the $3.95? I'll bet many people will tip more. Just like they say that the tip is included in the specialty dining rooms and most people seem to tip more there. So, for those that usually tip $3 or $4 for room service, do you plan on not tipping more or are you going to throw in some extra beyond the new charge?[/quote]

$3.95 is below what I normally tip so yes I will pay more. I never order room service between 12a and 6a so this wouldn't affect me. But as I said before it wouldn't impact me if it went 24 hours.

I'm sure many people don't tip for room sevice at all and aren't aware that they should as shown on these boards. That question has come up on numerous occasions here about room service. Remember, those here on CC are a very small percentage of cruisers.

[quote name='KissMeKate']First post here on Cruise Critic but no stranger to RCI cruises (the wife and I have done many over the years) and I couldn't agree with you more. And in fact, I thought your post should be re-posted in case anyone missed it. You're 100% on point in my opinion.

As for my thoughts on the new late night room service fee, specifically:

Too many guests (kids, teenagers and adults alike) abused the free aspect of Johnny Rockets, so RCI implemented a $3.95 surcharge to discourage that behavior.

It looks like they have the same purpose in mind with the late night room service fee. Unfortunately, I believe there are more than a few guests who have abused the free room service (especially late at night) to the point that once again, RCI has come up with a plan to cut down on the abuse.

And I don't believe the abuse is only from Spring Breakers but rather a year 'round concern.[/QUOTE]

I dont believe for a minute that anyone is abusing room service from midnight to 5am or any other time. I seldom see trays in the hallways, I seldom see room service being delivered. My opinion most dont even use RS at all especailly late at night. Spring Breakers come on give me a break.

Could it be RCI tring to squeeze every nickle and dime they can out of their passengers.

[quote name='Brad1185']I dont believe for a minute that anyone is abusing room service from midnight to 5am or any other time. I seldom see trays in the hallways, I seldom see room service being delivered. My opinion most dont even use RS at all especailly late at night. Spring Breakers come on give me a break.

Could it be RCI tring to squeeze every nickle and dime they can out of their passengers.[/quote]

I bet the phone for room service will be ringing off the hook @ 11:59 p.m!!!!;)

There are those who do not mind nickel and dime practices and never stop to realize how much is involved. Perhaps they should add it all up. Personally when merchants start the nickel and dime practice, I start looking for another merchant. It just really goes against my principles. Tell me up front how much money is required and don't come back with your hand out for more. :mad:

When I order at RS at night and they levy a charge, you can be sure there will be no tip since it is already included per their own words. Otherwise I do always tip. I agree with a previous poster, simply order the sandwiches, cookies, etc., before midnight and let it set in the stateroom. It will not go bad in a few hours. It is nice to have something to eat after spending the evening consuming their overpriced alcohol.

On Princess lines, they keep the HC open all night for pax. It is mostly sandwiches but the point is it is open all night unlike the WJ which closes. My number one complaint against RCCL.

[quote name='Brad1185']I dont believe for a minute that anyone is abusing room service from midnight to 5am or any other time. I seldom see trays in the hallways, I seldom see room service being delivered. My opinion most dont even use RS at all especailly late at night. Spring Breakers come on give me a break.

Could it be RCI tring to squeeze every nickle and dime they can out of their passengers.[/quote]
Looks like we have a difference of opinion.

There are many other ways that RCI could squeeze a few extra dollars out of each and every customer yet they chose a surcharge that went straight to a specific issue and only affects some.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that some people take undue advantage of free food that can be delivered to their stateroom in the wee hours... from adults who have bigger eyes than stomachs after partying to teenagers who are observing the curfew in their cabins but still wide awake, etc.

If the point was to nickel and dime everyone, the charge would have been assessed on all room service deliveries 24/7.

I guess I have been on different ships than everyone. I have had great service for room service, even the few times that we ordered after 12. I understand the surcharge and if I want it that bad after 12, I should be willing to pay. If not I'd take a hike to something open or order before 12. No problem whatsoever. I would rather they add the surcharge than to raise everyone's cruise fare. You want it- you pay for it. You can't always have free service. There is always a price to pay somewhere. No negative here!:)

Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas 3/09
Carnival Glory Western Caribbean 9/07
Royal Caribbean Explorer Eastern Caribbean 11/06
NCL Majesty Western Caribbean 2/06
NCL Spirit Exotic Caribbean 4/05
Holland Zaandam Eastern Caribbean 1/04
Holland Zaandam Western Caribbean 4/03
Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 6/02

Don't the RCI brochures advertise free 24-hour room service? So, if we all booked thinking the room service was free (plus tip), isn't adding a mandatory service charge technically false advertising? (Not that different from imposing fuel surcharges post-facto). It's not a huge surcharge, but it is annoying that a $4 charge is now required for late night munchies that would be free on any other line (I DO tip, but I like giving the tip to the server instead of signing off a bill to the cruise line that goes who knows where).

Seriously, what next?

[quote name='cruisegirl06']Don't the RCI brochures advertise free 24-hour room service? So, if we all booked thinking the room service was free (plus tip), isn't adding a mandatory service charge technically false advertising? (Not that different from imposing fuel surcharges post-facto). It's not a huge surcharge, but it is annoying that a $4 charge is now required for late night munchies that would be free on any other line (I DO tip, but I like giving the tip to the server instead of signing off a bill to the cruise line that goes who knows where).

Seriously, what next?[/quote]

Seriously, brochures are printed months in advance of distribution. The only thing that counts is the latest information listed on the website which is updated regularly. It's not "false advertising".....

As for the surcharge, I think it's just another "nickel and dime" RCCL is implementing to help their bottom line. Their debt load is incredible. And, I further predict that this charge will eventually apply to all room service.

[quote name='cruisegirl06']Don't the RCI brochures advertise free 24-hour room service? So, if we all booked thinking the room service was free (plus tip), isn't adding a mandatory service charge technically false advertising? (Not that different from imposing fuel surcharges post-facto). It's not a huge surcharge, but it is annoying that a $4 charge is now required for late night munchies that would be free on any other line (I DO tip, but I like giving the tip to the server instead of signing off a bill to the cruise line that goes who knows where).

Seriously, what next?[/quote]
I don't think you will get very far with a "false advertising" claim. There is likely a disclaimer somewhere in their literature which indicates that the information was correct at the time of printing but is subject to change. If the charge is successfully implemented you can look to other lines following suit. All of the cruiselines are looking for ways to increase revenues especially when they are forced to offer severely discounted rates to fill their ships. Unless or until the charge is applied for all room service, your best option is to avoid ordering room service during the hours when the surcharge applies. For most cruisers this should not present a problem and for the rest, they will have to decide whether their wallet or their appetite rules.;)

Is there anywhere on the ships that serve late night snacks? If not, perhaps we should suggest to RCI that in order to cut down on late night room service orders, they implement a venue serving late night snacks(like Carnival, Princess and Celebrity). I'm not suggesting a lavish buffet, but light snacks later in the evening. When you have the early dinner seating and midnight comes along, there are many of us that would like a little something before saying good night.

[quote name='bike1964']My .02,

They should charge for room service during the day when you can go to the buffet or Dining Room. ( you have choices) [QUOTE]From midnight to 6 a.m., if your hungry, you really have no other options.:confused:[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Could that be the answer?:confused:

[quote name='alphakitty']I know a lot of people feel this way...but I don't. I don't mind the "a la carte" system of paying. I would prefer to pay $50 less for my fare and have the choices of what to pay for on board. I don't see it as "nickel and diming". I see it as giving me choices on what I want to spend my on board dollars on. I don't want to spend that $50 on things I won't use anyway.

The only constant in life is change. :)[/quote]

I agree, some people would prefer the acohol included, so what if you do not drink much, you would be losing. Just like JR's if I chose to use it, I do not mind paying, but why pay if you do not use it?

Here is my 2 cents...and I realize this may not be a particularly popular response....I think it is reasonable for them to implement a service charge. There is never a shortage of food on a cruiseship and those costs are fairly stable over the years, but labor costs are rising - payroll tax costs, benefits, expectations of how long an employee can work, etc. is harder and harder to control. The overnight service charge is likely being put in place to help with staffing planning and costs. They will know the ordering impact within a short period of time and be able to change their staffing accordingly.

We are taking cruises more frequently these days because pricing has come down. I don't know how I can expect more for less or even the same for less. The cost of our upcoming transatlantic trip is stunningly reasonable for a 13 night cruise.

I always think of the companies I like and hope they get are busy and profitable because that means they will continue to be in business. I am a raging fan of Frontier Airlines and worry they won't be in business because of skyrocketing costs...I want them to succeed.

I will gladly pay the service charge if I decide to get a snack in the wee hours. I am a fan of room service at any hour....my husband and I have been known to skip the dining room but calling and ordering off that menu in the room. It is a part of vacations for us...and always great to eat privately on the balcony.

Last thought I have is that I am always tipping the servers who deliver room service anyway - I find them to be really polite and friendly, so I feel like this implementation is just the tip I would give the server. Now I know it won't end up all getting into the pocket of the server, but at least it is a built in charge. I am okay with that.

Happy travels!

[quote name='Brad1185']RCI did change their web site stating room service now has an added service charge. There still is no mention of the extra charge in the MDR. Their site states all meals are included in the MDR.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Costs
All meals (including coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) delivered by room service are included in the price of your cruise (however a late night service charge applies). Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.[/COLOR]

yup looks like Brad found the changes...

I was just looking at the RCCL website and unless I missed it somewhere, it doesn't say that the late night charge includes the tip. On the bottom of the room service menu it says "[I]Gratuity at your discretion[/I]".

Are we sure that the service charge actually includes the tip. I would hate for the late night servers to get shorted on tips because everyone assumed the charge included a tip.

[quote name='cruisnfool']Maybe the extra charge has to do with the extra delivery and clean up between those hours.
Maybe instead of looking to increase revenue they want to decrease the use of RS in those hours.
Its also possible people were not tipping at all for room service.

I would think doing anything to discourage RS would be a bad idea because thats many more peiple that are not in the other venues.[/QUOTE]

extra clean up? Frankly, I've never seen RS trays picked up-the room attendants seem to be schleping them at 10AM when they get around to cleaning my room. I worked in hotels for 18 years and land based RS would send someone 2 hours after the order to go pick up the trays.

Tipping has nothing to do with why RC is now charging-it's all about the ship making more money and trying to reduce staffing for third shift.

I've been so preoccupied reading the Mariner repo threads, I just found this one a few minutes ago.

I am angry. And yes, you read that right, [B]ANGRY[/B] about this.

It's not about the money, it's about changing the terms [B]after the fact[/B], and more importantly, adding [B]another big fat EXCEPT[/B] to the way you have to describe a cruise.

When you go on a cruise, everything is included [B]EXCEPT...[/B] The list grows longer and longer, and it seems the list of what you don't get is much longer than what you do get.

I am coordinating a small group cruise for some folks at my church. For many of them, it is their first cruise, and I had to spend quite a bit of time educating them on the basic facts of what a modern day cruise actually is. People have asked me, "wow, you mean 24 hour room service is really included in the price?" Well, it [B]USED[/B] to be... but now there is another big [B]EXCEPT[/B] that I have to add to the list. It makes you feel like a lawyer reading the fine print at the bottom of a contract.

This does not foster an environment of fun and relaxation, now I have to keep an eye on my watch and try to anticipate my hunger. Soon passengers will need to bring along their accountant to advise them how to avoid extraneous charges.

I would not be at all surprised if this issue catches the attention of the Attorney General of Florida. If I recall correctly, that office has been very friendly to cruise passengers when it comes to things like this. I believe the early fuel charges were the subject of such action because the passengers were charged the additional money after booking at a set price. How is this any different? People who have already booked were clearly sold a product which included free room service.

Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is going to be for me to have to contact each of my group members and tell them about this? Sure it may be unlikely that any of them will use it, but they've already been told what their fare included, and now the cruise line is changing it. What might be next? And more importantly, what assurance can I offer that there [B]won't[/B] be some other additional charge for the most ordinary thing that a cruise [B]used to include?[/B]

I don't care what the cruise line is trying to accomplish by this, whether it's revenue, or better management of the product. [B]They have done it the wrong way, and many people should and will be unhappy about it.[/B]

Theron

Archived