$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

[quote name='stompy']extra clean up? Frankly, I've never seen RS trays picked up-the room attendants seem to be schleping them at 10AM when they get around to cleaning my room.[B] I worked in hotels for 18 years and land based RS would send someone 2 hours after the order to go pick up the trays.[/B]

Tipping has nothing to do with why RC is now charging-it's all about the ship making more money and trying to reduce staffing for third shift.[/quote]

From your experience how does the value (price, convenience and amenities) compares: land vs cruise. With your hotel experience can I do better with a land vacation? Along with cruises we do all inclusive in Jamaica and Mexico. The trend of 'all inclusive' no longer means 'all included'. Ala-carte dining is available at best 4 out of a 7 night stay. Our vacation to Niagara Falls was one of the most expensive with the Comfort Inn [B]motel [/B]costing over $200 per night. I guess I don't have anything against a company making a profit if the are still providing a good value, even if price goes up.

[quote name='kooljamming']From your experience how does the value (price, convenience and amenities) compares: land vs cruise. With your hotel experience can I do better with a land vacation? Along with cruises we do all inclusive in Jamaica and Mexico. The trend of 'all inclusive' no longer means 'all included'. Ala-carte dining is available at best 4 out of a 7 night stay. Our vacation to Niagara Falls was one of the most expensive with the Comfort Inn [B]motel [/B]costing over $200 per night. I guess I don't have anything against a company making a profit if the are still providing a good value, even if price goes up.[/QUOTE]

Personally I feel cruising is a better experience and a better value than a land-based vacation. BUT, many folks on these boards have been able to find some incredible deals at all-inclusives.

I think the main issue here is that we have gotten used to the way something is and now they are charging for what used to be free. Folks hate change, especially when they perceive it as a benefit being taken away.

[quote name='TPKeller']I've been so preoccupied reading the Mariner repo threads, I just found this one a few minutes ago.

I am angry. And yes, you read that right, [B]ANGRY[/B] about this.

It's not about the money, it's about changing the terms [B]after the fact[/B], and more importantly, adding [B]another big fat EXCEPT[/B] to the way you have to describe a cruise.

When you go on a cruise, everything is included [B]EXCEPT...[/B] The list grows longer and longer, and it seems the list of what you don't get is much longer than what you do get.

I am coordinating a small group cruise for some folks at my church. For many of them, it is their first cruise, and I had to spend quite a bit of time educating them on the basic facts of what a modern day cruise actually is. People have asked me, "wow, you mean 24 hour room service is really included in the price?" Well, it [B]USED[/B] to be... but now there is another big [B]EXCEPT[/B] that I have to add to the list. It makes you feel like a lawyer reading the fine print at the bottom of a contract.

This does not foster an environment of fun and relaxation, now I have to keep an eye on my watch and try to anticipate my hunger. Soon passengers will need to bring along their accountant to advise them how to avoid extraneous charges.

I would not be at all surprised if this issue catches the attention of the Attorney General of Florida. If I recall correctly, that office has been very friendly to cruise passengers when it comes to things like this. I believe the early fuel charges were the subject of such action because the passengers were charged the additional money after booking at a set price. How is this any different? People who have already booked were clearly sold a product which included free room service.

Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is going to be for me to have to contact each of my group members and tell them about this? Sure it may be unlikely that any of them will use it, but they've already been told what their fare included, and now the cruise line is changing it. What might be next? And more importantly, what assurance can I offer that there [B]won't[/B] be some other additional charge for the most ordinary thing that a cruise [B]used to include?[/B]

I don't care what the cruise line is trying to accomplish by this, whether it's revenue, or better management of the product. [B]They have done it the wrong way, and many people should and will be unhappy about it.[/B]

Theron[/quote]
[COLOR=blue]You have a choice....cancel. Life is way too short to allow anyone you are not married to given birth to get you this upset. No one you love or care about is injured or hurt. Consider the fact, with or without RS, you are doing better than most people who have only dreamed about taking a cruise. You woke up and some amenities previous promised have changed. Many people wake up and everything about their life have changed. It must be nice to live such a charmed life that this is all it takes to make one so ANGRY...annoyed maybe? Life is what happen when we are busing planning. While you were planning this trip, life happened...something change. Life offers no assurance or guarantee, so don't expect it from this or any trip. Is there any assurance or guarantee you will all make it? If you do then please try and make the most of it. Many people maybe be unhappy but many more might still feel blessed, because they can still afford it even with the ecomony the way it is. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]

[quote name='TPKeller']I've been so preoccupied reading the Mariner repo threads, I just found this one a few minutes ago.

I am angry. And yes, you read that right, [B]ANGRY[/B] about this.

It's not about the money, it's about changing the terms [B]after the fact[/B], and more importantly, adding [B]another big fat EXCEPT[/B] to the way you have to describe a cruise.

When you go on a cruise, everything is included [B]EXCEPT...[/B] The list grows longer and longer, and it seems the list of what you don't get is much longer than what you do get.

I am coordinating a small group cruise for some folks at my church. For many of them, it is their first cruise, and I had to spend quite a bit of time educating them on the basic facts of what a modern day cruise actually is. People have asked me, "wow, you mean 24 hour room service is really included in the price?" Well, it [B]USED[/B] to be... but now there is another big [B]EXCEPT[/B] that I have to add to the list. It makes you feel like a lawyer reading the fine print at the bottom of a contract.

This does not foster an environment of fun and relaxation, now I have to keep an eye on my watch and try to anticipate my hunger. Soon passengers will need to bring along their accountant to advise them how to avoid extraneous charges.

I would not be at all surprised if this issue catches the attention of the Attorney General of Florida. If I recall correctly, that office has been very friendly to cruise passengers when it comes to things like this. I believe the early fuel charges were the subject of such action because the passengers were charged the additional money after booking at a set price. How is this any different? People who have already booked were clearly sold a product which included free room service.

Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is going to be for me to have to contact each of my group members and tell them about this? Sure it may be unlikely that any of them will use it, but they've already been told what their fare included, and now the cruise line is changing it. What might be next? And more importantly, what assurance can I offer that there [B]won't[/B] be some other additional charge for the most ordinary thing that a cruise [B]used to include?[/B]

I don't care what the cruise line is trying to accomplish by this, whether it's revenue, or better management of the product. [B]They have done it the wrong way, and many people should and will be unhappy about it.[/B]

Theron[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you said.

As for your group cruise, change to another line. I am also putting together a cruise for a group of 18 friends plus us. 10 rooms. I was able to get them all to agree to not go on RCI. We ended up selecting HAL for next summer.

[quote name='tpkeller']i've been so preoccupied reading the mariner repo threads, i just found this one a few minutes ago.

I am angry. And yes, you read that right, [b]angry[/b] about this.

It's not about the money, it's about changing the terms [b]after the fact[/b], and more importantly, adding [b]another big fat except[/b] to the way you have to describe a cruise.

When you go on a cruise, everything is included [b]except...[/b] the list grows longer and longer, and it seems the list of what you don't get is much longer than what you do get.

I am coordinating a small group cruise for some folks at my church. For many of them, it is their first cruise, and i had to spend quite a bit of time educating them on the basic facts of what a modern day cruise actually is. People have asked me, "wow, you mean 24 hour room service is really included in the price?" well, it [b]used[/b] to be... But now there is another big [b]except[/b] that i have to add to the list. It makes you feel like a lawyer reading the fine print at the bottom of a contract.

This does not foster an environment of fun and relaxation, now i have to keep an eye on my watch and try to anticipate my hunger. Soon passengers will need to bring along their accountant to advise them how to avoid extraneous charges.

I would not be at all surprised if this issue catches the attention of the attorney general of florida. If i recall correctly, that office has been very friendly to cruise passengers when it comes to things like this. I believe the early fuel charges were the subject of such action because the passengers were charged the additional money after booking at a set price. How is this any different? People who have already booked were clearly sold a product which included free room service.

Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is going to be for me to have to contact each of my group members and tell them about this? Sure it may be unlikely that any of them will use it, but they've already been told what their fare included, and now the cruise line is changing it. What might be next? And more importantly, what assurance can i offer that there [b]won't[/b] be some other additional charge for the most ordinary thing that a cruise [b]used to include?[/b]

i don't care what the cruise line is trying to accomplish by this, whether it's revenue, or better management of the product. [b]they have done it the wrong way, and many people should and will be unhappy about it.[/b]

theron[/quote]

exactly!

This thread is becoming hilarious.

If RCI is so horrible why not just go somewhere else?

If the $3.95 is a service fee which includes tip what is the big deal? Wouldn't any of you give tip anyways?

Or do you all have - inadvertently - outed yourselves?

How many of you are actually ordering between 12am and 5am?

If the $3.95 is too much and breaks the little cruise piggy bank there is always free pizza and on some ships even free sandwiches.

It is good to know that CC hasn't changed a bit in 2009. :D

If the $3.95 is a service fee which includes tip what is the big deal? Wouldn't any of you give tip anyways?

If the $3.95 is too much and breaks the little cruise piggy bank there is always free pizza and on some ships even free sandwiches.

I've done RS twice in 48 cruises. The menu is really not appealing. I still want it included. It has nothing to do with the amount. They could charge ten cents, $3.95 or $25 I would still fell the same way. Im glad there are choices to go somewhere else and I have started doing it when the MDR charge started. Hopefully others will go and do the same.

Here's another analogy.

You see a gas station, the price is on the sign, you like the price, you pull in. The price on the pump matches the sign. You go in the building and pay $20 for gas, but when you come back out and put the nozzle in your tank and turn on the pump, the price suddenly jumps up 10 cents per gallon. You now are getting less gas than what you originally paid for.

Nobody would put up with that.

It's a matter of principle.

Theron

There are those who do not mind nickel and dime practices and never stop to realize how much is involved. Perhaps they should add it all up. Personally when merchants start the nickel and dime practice, I start looking for another merchant. It just really goes against my principles. Tell me up front how much money is required and don't come back with your hand out for more. :mad:

When I order at RS at night and they levy a charge, you can be sure there will be no tip since it is already included per their own words. Otherwise I do always tip. I agree with a previous poster, simply order the sandwiches, cookies, etc., before midnight and let it set in the stateroom. It will not go bad in a few hours. It is nice to have something to eat after spending the evening consuming their overpriced alcohol.

On Princess lines, they keep the HC open all night for pax. It is mostly sandwiches but the point is it is open all night unlike the WJ which closes. My number one complaint against RCCL.

Strange comment considering 2 out of 3 of your past listed RCI cruises have been on Voyager class ships that have food in the Promenade Cafe 24hrs a day:confused:

I've been so preoccupied reading the Mariner repo threads, I just found this one a few minutes ago.

I am angry. And yes, you read that right, ANGRY about this.

It's not about the money, it's about changing the terms after the fact, and more importantly, adding another big fat EXCEPT to the way you have to describe a cruise.

When you go on a cruise, everything is included EXCEPT... The list grows longer and longer, and it seems the list of what you don't get is much longer than what you do get.

I am coordinating a small group cruise for some folks at my church. For many of them, it is their first cruise, and I had to spend quite a bit of time educating them on the basic facts of what a modern day cruise actually is. People have asked me, "wow, you mean 24 hour room service is really included in the price?" Well, it USED to be... but now there is another big EXCEPT that I have to add to the list. It makes you feel like a lawyer reading the fine print at the bottom of a contract.

Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is going to be for me to have to contact each of my group members and tell them about this? Sure it may be unlikely that any of them will use it, but they've already been told what their fare included, and now the cruise line is changing it. What might be next? And more importantly, what assurance can I offer that there won't be some other additional charge for the most ordinary thing that a cruise used to include?

I don't care what the cruise line is trying to accomplish by this, whether it's revenue, or better management of the product. They have done it the wrong way, and many people should and will be unhappy about it.

Theron

This is different because the cruiselines had a previous agreement with the FLAG, concerning port charges, taxes etc. This agreement did not allow for the FS, it was however changed by the FLAG to allow FS but was not retroactive.

There is no agreement on what a cruiseline should not or cannot charge for on board.

I don't use room service at these hours, so it will not affect me, I understand that RCI is a business that needs to show a profit to the shareholders, I think there has been a lot of wasted food, people calling for room service as soon as they get back from the bars, and then being asleep and not answering the door when it is delivered, and this surcharge is to help combat that problem and reduce costly wastage!

There are some really strange responses to this 'service charge' that I just don't quite understand.

First, there's the argument that they told us RS was free, and now they charge us $3.95 after we have booked with them. While that is true, how would you suggest they implement it? Do they waive the fee for anyone who is already paid in full? Or maybe anyone who has already booked? People book up to a year, sometimes two, in advance. Can you imagine if EVERY change RCI wanted to implement had to be arranged and advertised 2 years or more in advance. It wouldn't be a very dynamic way to run a company would it?

And then there are those who are just pissed because there is a fee at all. Wouldn't you have tipped anyway? If you weren't already tipping $2 or $3 then you shouldn't have been ordering room service in the first place.

I've only cruised a couple times and have never ordered room service during the day or at 2:00am. I found there was always plenty to eat and drink around the ships, but I understand why people do order, especially late at night . Thats fine, but just consider that now you don't need to scrounge around for a few $to tip. It's in the fee (if I understand correctly).

Its only $3.95 folks.

Before I get flamed too much, I DO understand the nickle and diming argument and agree, but at the end of the day it IS a business and I guess they can run it as they see fit, and its up to us to decide whether we wish to patronize it or not.

First post here on Cruise Critic but no stranger to RCI cruises (the wife and I have done many over the years) and I couldn't agree with you more. And in fact, I thought your post should be re-posted in case anyone missed it. You're 100% on point in my opinion.

As for my thoughts on the new late night room service fee, specifically:

Too many guests (kids, teenagers and adults alike) abused the free aspect of Johnny Rockets, so RCI implemented a $3.95 surcharge to discourage that behavior.

It looks like they have the same purpose in mind with the late night room service fee. Unfortunately, I believe there are more than a few guests who have abused the free room service (especially late at night) to the point that once again, RCI has come up with a plan to cut down on the abuse.

And I don't believe the abuse is only from Spring Breakers but rather a year 'round concern.

Yeah, find a cure for the problem that punishes the people who play by the rules. Sorry, but I will never buy into that type of thinking.:rolleyes:

Don't be making too much sense here. most of these people can't handle it.

I wonder how long it will take some of the slip and fall professionals from the fuel thread last year to show up.

And all for $3.95, and most have never, or will never use the service any way.

Room service staff tell me that the early morning hours (like 2 and 3 am) are the busiest. I was surprised to learn this info, I would have guessed breakfast time.

We use room service frequently but NEVER between the hours of 12 and 5. We’ve never ordered anything after dinner and I think 6:30 am has been the earliest.

For me, it is a hassle to look for the $2-4 for a tip. Often the money is in the safe or we have run out of small bills. I actually would prefer a small automatic tip on all deliveries.

M

Give me an "R", give me a "C", give me a "C", give me an "L". Whats that spell!! WOOO!!:rolleyes:

Great post.

So many out here cruise many times a year and they don't stay in inside and oceanview cabins like I do.

But $3.95 will just break the bank?

And if you don't want to pay most of the "extra" charges just don't use the service.

Works very well for me.

And finally as so many of you have posted in dress guideline and smoking threads " if you don't like it chose another cruise line":D:D:D

Smometimes CC threads should have a disclaimer: for entertainment use only:)

It is good to know that you haven't changed a bit either!:D

Its only $3.95 folks.

Yes, but where will you stop thinking it's acceptable? When there's a $3.95 charge for the solarium? $3.95 entertainment fee for a show? $3.95 for the spa hot tub? $3.95 for use of a tender, $4.95 if used as a lifeboat?

Come on! It's only 3. 95 folks!

Yes, but where will you stop thinking it's acceptable? When there's a $3.95 charge for the solarium? $3.95 entertainment fee for a show? $3.95 for the spa hot tub? $3.95 for use of a tender, $4.95 if used as a lifeboat?

Too much $3.95 and I move to another cruise line.

If comes down to this will you still cruise RCI?

Strange comment considering 2 out of 3 of your past listed RCI cruises have been on Voyager class ships that have food in the Promenade Cafe 24hrs a day:confused:

This is different because the cruiselines had a previous agreement with the FLAG, concerning port charges, taxes etc. This agreement did not allow for the FS, it was however changed by the FLAG to allow FS but was not retroactive.

There is no agreement on what a cruiseline should not or cannot charge for on board.

I don't use room service at these hours, so it will not affect me, I understand that RCI is a business that needs to show a profit to the shareholders, I think there has been a lot of wasted food, people calling for room service as soon as they get back from the bars, and then being asleep and not answering the door when it is delivered, and this surcharge is to help combat that problem and reduce costly wastage!

Ding! Ding! Bingo!

Seriously, I am not a fan of the way the cruiselines and RCI in particular decides to make changes, because of the nature of the way cruises are sold, sometimes up to 2 years in advance of the delivery of product. So, basically they are paralyzed from making changes without hearing the legalistic point of principle people who are way way way too guick to contact the Florida Attorney General's office. In other words they are in a difficult public relations position because any time they need to change their way of business it is automatically going to hurt someone they have already sold the product to. It is equally unfair to them to not allow them to make changes because they do have an obligation to make a profit. No profit no cruiseline.

This is not rocket doctoring folks.

jc

For the folks on here comparing this to the fuel charge, I for one don't think it is the same at all. The fuel charge was an addition to the price of the cruise after payment was made and the cost of the cruise locked in. You wouldn't get on ship if you didn't pay it.

The charge for late night room service although an additional charge it is not a charge to the price of the cruise. And like many we always tipped room service around that amount anyway. And I agree with the poster it was kind of a pain to open the safe to get the cash out. We have used the late night room service after arriving back from the casino or disco. And will continue to and will not add any additional tip to it.

I do see this as nickel and dime business action and expect it to continue and expand to other things on ship. I don't like it but it will not stop me from cruising or cause me to lose any sleep. I'd tip anyway so it is kind of a mute point for me.

However, I wish they'd find a better way to do all the stinking receipts though as we end of with a drawer full of them at the end of the cruise.

I have noticed on here people talking about the extra charges that are now added in the MDR and are wondering what they are? Think I missed something.......

Not really, on a couple of ships they are offering a better steak for a charge. I think it was originally marketed on a couple of ships as the Chops Steak for $14.95 in the MDR. The regular menu didn't change, just had an addition to a couple of ships menu. People were equally outraged by that nickel and dime effort.:D

jc

On the twelve day holiday cruise in 2007-8 my DH and I were on the Brilliance having lunch at the Seaview cafe...there was a group of older teens may even have been in their early twenties sitting at the table next to us. They were all traveling with their parents who had obviously paid for their trips, and placed them in cabins together. They were talking loudly and laughing about how they called room service hour after hour all night long, with long lists of food items ordered and that the help thought they deserved a tip...how they would take the food and tell the waiters to leave, and they would laugh...they also spoke of how they abused and talked down to their cabin stewards...they made fun of these people...each child's story tried to out do the others. It was very sad to see...I can only think, that that is one of the causes of this new charge...people abusing the service...I know children can be mean...but it always makes me sad never the less.

I guess I will have to order my midnight cookies and milk a little earlier now. Grrr..... Why do they have to nickel and dime us on everything? It is bad enough to pay twice the price for a crappy bottle of wine, a good steak, and a decent burger. Now room service charge? Ugh!

I agree. For some of the things i know what the cost is back home and it makes me sick, half the stuff isn't even that good anymore. I say if the lines are going to start implementing these changes they need to make sure everything is of some quality (note, i didn't say expensive just decent) and that their staff isn't surly, AND EDUCATED about how to do their job well. I don't tip people for services they didn't give me, and I certainly am not paying for something I didn't want / didn't use to begin with. I think letting the pax have a choice is a good idea that way people don't spend more than they intended. It's all corporate greed they should pay their staff a decent wage. Why do you think all the ships are registered in third world underdeveloped countries?

For me it will stop when the extra charges stop and it costs a LOT more to cruise. How about they just add a few hundred dollars to everyone's cruise fare? Then anyone who doesn't use the RS, or spa or solarium or JR's can pay for it too. I would prefer to have the choice of all the add-ons and not pay more for my cruise. I think it's one or the other...that is the only way cruise lines will survive.

Can I see a show of hands for anyone that has ordered room service after midnight and before 5am?

jc<---- hand is not raised

jc<---- imagines 95% of the food ordered at this time occurs on spring break or summer cruises....:D

I am certain my 12/14 year old sons ordered room service after midnight during our Christmas week cruise. Adolescent boys can eat any time food is available.

Archived