Pirate BEES take over FANTASY Lido Deck!

cruisetobeaches

Thanks, that was a great story and your pictures were awesome!!

Of course there were complainers! I overheard one guy saying he was going to complain and wanted a one day credit because he could not use the pool! I told him to go ahead and jump in.................:D

There is always one!!(or a few).

I was amused by those that felt the need to cross the yellow caution tape to cut through. Once the "event" was pointed out to them............The look on their faces was priceless!!

Now a pic of their faces would of been great!!

Well, if there's one good thing about this, it's that they were honeybees and not cockroaches. :D

OMG.OMG. LMAO THAT IS SO TRUUUEEEEE!!!!!

Thanks, that was a great story and your pictures were awesome!!

To add a little more to this adventure:

There was one passenger who was quite intoxicated, that claimed he could call the bees away and proceded to cross into the bee zone. He then began clapping, dancing, and chanting, trying to call the swarm to him. Perhaps he did not realize that since the bees were from Mexico that they did not understand English:confused:

Security had a time getting him to leave the area. I have pics of him as well, but did not post them. I think he embarassed himself enough without it being posted here...............

To add a little more to this adventure:

There was one passenger who was quite intoxicated, that claimed he could call the bees away and proceded to cross into the bee zone. He then began clapping, dancing, and chanting, trying to call the swarm to him. Perhaps he did not realize that since the bees were from Mexico that they did not understand English:confused:

Security had a time getting him to leave the area. I have pics of him as well, but did not post them. I think he embarassed himself enough without it being posted here...............

L M A O !

OMG...that is hysterical.

By the way, my term "PIRATE" in the title is used in jest. I am fully aware of the serious nature of piracy on the seas, so save the flames...........besides, the queen bee was seen wearing a tiny patch over one eye and had a peg leg.............:p

To BEE continued...............

Too funny!

Great photo story! I would've been far far away from this to take any pictures. :o

Me too. I would BEE using my zoom to the max!

I had a lengthy conversation with him. He said that on occasion, a passenger may need a bee removed from a cabin, or maybe a few in the galley, but he had never had to deal with a swarm.

I also chatted with the guy operating the fire extinguishers. He drew the short straw and was muttering a lot of words i did not understand. Probably a good thing..............:confused:

I am sure Willie got quite animated. He used to be the pool supervisor. About a year ago, they promoted him to Asst Housekeeping. Everytime I go onboard we end up running into each other. I missed him in Nov because he was on vacation. I will get to see him again in three weeks when we go onboard. I will print out your photo and give to him if that is okay with you.

Dave

Kinda like my house. The Princess, my DW, says "We're going on vacation" and that's it, we go.

That's the way it is here for sure. ;)

I am the Queen. :D

Over the holidays when my kids were home, this is what I woke up to one morning, that they had left out for me the night before:

DSC00345.jpg

I am sure Willie got quite animated. He used to be the pool supervisor. About a year ago, they promoted him to Asst Housekeeping. Everytime I go onboard we end up running into each other. I missed him in Nov because he was on vacation. I will get to see him again in three weeks when we go onboard. I will print out your photo and give to him if that is okay with you.

Dave

No problem with printing out the pic. I'm sure he will remember the guy photographing the bees wearing nothing but shorts!

here is where the "big decision" was being made:

b18.jpg

Ours too. Isn't it great having grown kids? One of ours is a wine/liquor distributor. I love being able to call him up for suggestions.

I never knew it would be this great but YES it is!!! :D

{cool job the kid has!!}

there were a few crawling around on me while I was taking shots of the lounge chair. the only really annoying one was on the front of my lens!

I was amused by those that felt the need to cross the yellow caution tape to cut through. Once the "event" was pointed out to them............The look on their faces was priceless!!

Crossing caution tape???? :eek:

Proof once again that Ron White was correct....

you can't fix stupid!!!

SOOO glad we were not on that B2B....we would have never gotten DJ out of the cabin.

He has severe panic attacks around insects. (even a housefly)

It is sad that they had to be destroyed.

Now when we go to Progresso next month.....I will have to keep an eye out!!

We just completed a B2B on the Fantasy. On January 12, during our second leg, a swarm of honeybees attempted a take over of the Lido deck. This was a port day in Progresso, so not many were on deck. Having been there several times, I decided to stay on the ship and relax with a few drinks by the pool on a lounge chair. I noticed first, a few bees flying about over my head. This very quickly turned into a cloud of bees. A very LARGE CLOUD!!

This post will be long and in multiple parts as there a a number of pictures, including how the crew handled the situation. A few facts first:

• No one was stung or hurt. Bees in a swarm are not aggressive.
  • These were common honeybees. NOT African Killer Bees.
  • Honeybees communicate with pheremones, generated by the Queen and passed on to the workers. Once the queen is gone and these pheremones are no longer generated, the workers become confused and scatter about, becoming almost dormant.
  • Honeybees are attracted to bright colors, especially yellow.

Yes, I have experience with honeybees, having worked for a bee keeper when I was younger. BUT, I had no desire to try to remove this swarm without proper equipment. If was a shame that the swarm had to be destroyed, but there was no none available in port to handle them.

On with the story:

b1.jpg

Swarm finding the umbrella:

b17.jpg

Swarm clustered around queen under umbrella:

b4.jpg

A CLOSER look:

b3.jpg

By the way, my term "PIRATE" in the title is used in jest. I am fully aware of the serious nature of piracy on the seas, so save the flames...........besides, the queen bee was seen wearing a tiny patch over one eye and had a peg leg.............:p

To BEE continued...............

How VERY cool!!! I would have been right there with you. Maybe getting in some shots in formal wear.:)

When we sailed on the Dawn Princess to Mexico they decided to lacquer all the wood railings and during our stop in Puerto Vallarta there was one deck that had to be cordoned off due to large amounts of wasps. The Captain was just passing me on a walk with one of his officers when I said I wouldnt go that way if I was you lol. less than 5 minutes later they had crew taping off both stairways to that deck.

Archived