Alone Time Strategies

tommy2tone_1999

I'm cruising on the Fantasy with my wife and 2 sons. While this will be a family cruise, I would like some "Alone Time" with the wife. What are some ideas to keep the teen boys busy on the boat (for a while) so that we can get the cabin to ourselves? Can Camp Carnival page us when they leave there? Maybe I can confiscate their keys. :cool:

You can ask on of the counselors to call your room when they are headed back. The rooms also can be locked from inside. Even with the room key someone outside the room can not enter.

Other than when they are with the Camp Carnival counselors I would not leave kids alone on a ship.

Our teens couldn't wait to get "alone time" away from us! (not visa versa!) We really only saw them for dinner and on excursions. Otherwise, they were hanging out with friends they made. Check the club 02/Circle C schedules for each day, and plan time for yourselves around that.

How about getting them their own cabin? That way you can have all the alone time you want!

Wonder if your teens are also wondering how they're going to get their respective alone time when they're sharing the cabin with mom and dad! :eek:

You don't mention how old the boys are.

From a young age in my house the rule has been when a door is closed ...you knock and wait until you are told come in. That rule works both ways.

Of course the dead bolt doesn't hurt either *LOL*

Like others have said your kids will love their alone time too. You and DW shouldn't hav a problem.

I'm cruising on the Fantasy with my wife and 2 sons. While this will be a family cruise, I would like some "Alone Time" with the wife. What are some ideas to keep the teen boys busy on the boat (for a while) so that we can get the cabin to ourselves? Can Camp Carnival page us when they leave there? Maybe I can confiscate their keys. :cool:

Allow them to walk in on you once. It will be the last time, guaranteed.

At the time we cruise, they will be 14 and 17

Oh God , then they are definately old enough to undertsand.

Plus at that age they will definately want all the space they can get ......which can work to yours and DWs benefit :)

ENJOY :)

Throw them off the balcony...that seems to be a trend lately...(just kidding...about the trend).

That was what I was going to recommend. You know those bungee cords everyone keeps recommending you bring? You need two.

To be serious however, the chances of your boys deciding to return to the room are remote. My son, then 14, took off the second morning and I swear I saw him only at dinners (a requirement from me) and when we passed on the proms. He found a group of kids to hang out with, they spent all their time in the teen club. He had a wonderful time as did I. And, as noted, the rooms do have dead locks from the inside- you are safe. Now if you can just convince your room steward to leave you alone. Also there are DO NOT DISTURB hangers. Make sure everyone knows you mean it! And be prepared for everyone to be a bit giggly and blushy- boys that age can't imagine that MOM AND DAD might "do that".

If you have some forms of communication, texting, walkie talkies, etc., maybe you can encourage them to check in with you from time to time...like example have them let you know when they are on there way back from somewhere so you will know they are safe and sound;)

Also, not sure if they do this or not, but I know on Disney they offered a couples only type of massage service, but it wasn't a massage of sorts. I guess you went into this type of room where the two of you would be alone behind a locked door. If I remember correctly there were different types of oils and muds that you could apply on each other. Of course I never tried this myself, I just remember reading about it on the threads.:)

I was going to suggest a big bag of quarters but stainedglasslady beat me to it.

Do they have the slumber party for the older kids? ;) That was great when he was younger. :rolleyes:

Tom in Long Beach,

Now if I could just get our 13 year old to fall asleep earlier on land...:eek:

At that age, they're probably getting more action than you are.

Come on,, they're not stupid. Take them to the side and talk to them like men. If there's a sock on the door knob, knock, go away for 1/2 hour then come back.

Course you have to offer them the same courtesy. ;)

We just returned from our 10th cruise with DS. He is 14 now and only came back to the cabin when he was instructed to do so. ie come back at 6 for dinner or at curfew. This was the first trip he was allowed out of my sight on a cruise though if not in a Camp carnival activity. At that age they seem to use Camp carnival to meet other teens then go off and do their own things.

If my parents had told me when I was a teen to stay away from the cabin because they had to "get it on", I would still be having nightmares about it. :eek:

Do yourself a favor, spend a bit extra money, get the teens their own cabin (which they'll be thankful for! In addition to not having to run the risk of walking into their parents getting it on, they will also have their own space to have their own kind of privacy, and to stay late without bothering you).

This will give yourself plenty of privacy to enjoy your "alone time", and it will most definitely enhance your entire cruise experience overall. IF you're asking in this forum about this, the money the extra cabin will cost will be completely worth it.

I'd see if any connecting cabins are still available. We had our 3 kids with us (12, 7, and 5) and put them in one, us in the other. The door can only open from your side of the cabin...they can't walk in on you. You all have your 'space' yet they aren't totally in a cabin by themselves.

We thought it well worth the extra $$. ;)

Archived