Gifts for your room attendant?

I have, also, asked them if there is anything special in town I could pick up for them when in a port if I know I am going shopping. They have a store on the ship but I understand the prices are not exactly WalMart.

Tucker in Texas

That's actually a very thoughtful gesture. Everytime we cruise our cabin steward is one of the most important people on board for us. We've had stewards go out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and I truly appreciated it. I think it's a pretty good idea to ask them if they need something picked up while we go on shore. I know they work all day long and don't get to go down when the ship docks, it's the least we can do.

Hey , I am new to cruising , and I have nothing against tipping, I worked for tips myself for many years when I was younger, so I always try to make sure I tip appropriately, but I have been reading a few different things on these forums and I am just wondering...how much is enough? Is the recommended amount not enough? If not, then how much? Do you give the recommended amount in the envelopes and tip extra besides that? Do you pay the recommended gratuity up front with your cruise payment and then put money in the envelopes besides that? Plus maybe gifts (I would personally vote no on gifts, that's not really a good idea for all various good reasons already posted here)? Plus you pay a percentage already tagged onto the price of the drinks at the bars and dining rooms, correct? Do you also tip extra at the bar? So how much is enough? I have only been on one cruise before. I tipped in the envelopes , cash, at the end of the cruise, I put in a little extra for each one over the recommended amounts because I thought I had received very good service. Of course, I would not do this if I thought I had received poor service. It was only a three night cruise. I handed it to each staff member personally on our last night and thanked them for making our vacation wonderful by taking such good care of us. I thought that was appropriate, now I am not so sure. |How much do you tip? How many times do you tip? What is the norm on a cruise? :confused:

Hey , I am new to cruising , and I have nothing against tipping, I worked for tips myself for many years when I was younger, so I always try to make sure I tip appropriately, but I have been reading a few different things on these forums and I am just wondering...how much is enough? Is the recommended amount not enough? If not, then how much? Do you give the recommended amount in the envelopes and tip extra besides that? Do you pay the recommended gratuity up front with your cruise payment and then put money in the envelopes besides that? Plus maybe gifts (I would personally vote no on gifts, that's not really a good idea for all various good reasons already posted here)? Plus you pay a percentage already tagged onto the price of the drinks at the bars and dining rooms, correct? Do you also tip extra at the bar? So how much is enough? I have only been on one cruise before. I tipped in the envelopes , cash, at the end of the cruise, I put in a little extra for each one over the recommended amounts because I thought I had received very good service. Of course, I would not do this if I thought I had received poor service. It was only a three night cruise. I handed it to each staff member personally on our last night and thanked them for making our vacation wonderful by taking such good care of us. I thought that was appropriate, now I am not so sure. |How much do you tip? How many times do you tip? What is the norm on a cruise? :confused:

You followed RCI's guidelines for gratuities and even gave a little extra. That was perfectly appropriate.

Another thing to consider. If you give them a gift and they appear to really appreciate it, it could very well be an act. They are not going to jeopardize future tips by saying "Oh, I hate that thing you gave me". I'm sure quite a few "gifts" they receive just end up in the garbage because they have no use for, or room to store, it.

I usually just over-tip, but on the last cruise I took, I took along a jar of Amish peanut butter and gave it to our room steward. I realize(d) that she may have had a peanut allergy, or otherwise wasn't allowed it, but I thought it would be something kind of unique (I'm from Amish country; I'm betting most people on a ship aren't). She seemed very appreciative, and later told me she and a few of her friends had shared some of it with crackers.

I might just stick with the extra cash and a thank-you card, though, in the future.

If we really want to show our appreciation for outstanding service, we write a note detailing the excellent service Steward X or Waiter Z has provided, and how they've made our cruise even better than usual. We give it to the Hotel Director or Restaurant Manager as appropriate, and staple a copy to the end-of cruise evaluation form. I've been told by a Hotel Director that notes like these are taken into account when deciding who should be rewarded or promoted. It costs us nothing except a little time, and it might help someone's career. We also tip extra-well for great service, of course.

Lisa

Our last cruise in December, our room stewart was extremely friendly and always around in the morning and evening. On the first formal night we were talking and joking with him about the food. He mentioned that he would love to be able to eat in the dinning room. He would love a good steak dinner. Well we went off to dinner, but I got to thinking about what he said. The next night I asked him if he would like me to bring him back some food from the buffet. He said yes, if it wouldn't be to much of a problem or going out of my way. I asked him what he would like, he mentioned steak, fish, and rice. It seems they don't get any steak and fish in the crew dinning room. I went up to the buffett, put togehter a plate, brought it down to our room and left it for him along with silverware and a drink from the mini-fridge. That way he was able to eat it in our room while he was doing his evening chores in our room. You can't image how appreciate he was the next morning. Over the course of the rest of the week, we brought him other treats from the buffet. I think he was sad to see us leave that cruise!

Our last cruise in December' date=' our room stewart was extremely friendly and always around in the morning and evening. On the first formal night we were talking and joking with him about the food. He mentioned that he would love to be able to eat in the dinning room. He would love a good steak dinner. Well we went off to dinner, but I got to thinking about what he said. The next night I asked him if he would like me to bring him back some food from the buffet. He said yes, if it wouldn't be to much of a problem or going out of my way. I asked him what he would like, he mentioned steak, fish, and rice. It seems they don't get any steak and fish in the crew dinning room. I went up to the buffett, put togehter a plate, brought it down to our room and left it for him along with silverware and a drink from the mini-fridge. That way he was able to eat it in our room while he was doing his evening chores in our room. You can't image how appreciate he was the next morning. Over the course of the rest of the week, we brought him other treats from the buffet. I think he was sad to see us leave that cruise![/quote']

I had never thought of that. I just assumed they had the same dining room food since the food is mass produced. The fact that he was able to enjoy it out of sight probably was a good thing for him, too. They are on that ship for long periods so I am sure that was special to him. Since we discontinued the gift bags, we would like to do something they would appreciate besides the $$$. They do work so hard for their money. In all of our cruises, we have only had one mediocre steward and one really bad waiter/assistant waiter. Usually, they are so good at what they do.

• 11 months later...

I also like the gift idea. I picked up a small backpack with the the Mall of America logo printed on, I was hoping to put alittle extra cash in along with a few goodies. A hershy bar is just a candy bar here but there would it be a real treat? I'd like to pick up a few "American" items to put in it. Any one have an ideas?

Just give cash. Remember that these workers live with 2-4 people in a room no larger than the smallest inside passenger cabin. The don't need more stuff. They appreciate cash for their own needs, and most of their tips get sent home to support their families.

What a great thread.....On our last cruise last month on the Radiance...Dec 11 thru the 21st.....We decorated our Cabin for our Cabin Crawl and for us for the holiday. Our Room Attendant showed off our cabin to everyone he knew....Yes he asked if it would be OK an we said yes...But near the end we gave him some of our decorations including some light up Christmas trees.....He was so excited to receive them.....We also tipped very well....he was the best RA we have ever had and we have had many good ones. So if you travel over the holidays, maybe some holiday stuff just to remind them it is Christmas. :)

Mike

I also like the gift idea. I picked up a small backpack with the the Mall of America logo printed on, I was hoping to put alittle extra cash in along with a few goodies. A hershy bar is just a candy bar here but there would it be a real treat? I'd like to pick up a few "American" items to put in it. Any one have an ideas?

What if they are allergic to chocolate? And really, who wants a MOA Backpack :rolleyes:

I think it's nice that many of you are willing to give gifts, but the bottom line is that they don't want them. They are there to earn money and there is nothing like cash!

Spot On!

###

Okay I am new to cruising and this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. When I paid for my trip I pre paid my gratuities. Did this also include the room attendant or do I still need to tip him on top of it? I really want to be sure to do what is right. If you leave him a tip how do you do it? Each day with a card? Please enlighten me so that I do what is right.

Okay I am new to cruising and this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. When I paid for my trip I pre paid my gratuities. Did this also include the room attendant or do I still need to tip him on top of it? I really want to be sure to do what is right. If you leave him a tip how do you do it? Each day with a card? Please enlighten me so that I do what is right.

Hi, don't worry, we are here to help. Cold up in Canada.....There are a lot of your countrymen down here in the desert.....Did I tell you it was 74 degrees today.....and Beautiful.......:cool:

OK, Since you pre paid....you will receive vouchers for the Stateroom Attendant and the dining staff. These vouchers will be for the recommended amount per day for the length of the cruise and you will recveive them one to two days before the end of the cruise. It is up to you if you want to include additional cash inside the supplied envelopes that you will receive. It is at your descretion. As you have read....to break the ice when you meet the room attendant.....maybe bring something from the Olympics as a nice jester.......We always will tip as soon as we meet to make sure our Ice Container is always filled since we bring onboard our own Bottle water and Diet Pepsi....Only Coke on board. Hope this helps and by all means ask ask ask......

Have fun...It is addicting and RCL is the BEST!!!!! :)

Actually where we are in Canada we are having lovely weather. We are where the Olympics will be and they are worried that there isn't going to be enough natural snow around. They are in a panic already, grooming the hills with fake snow.

You really think something Olympic would be appreciated?

Do you always see your attendant to hand him/her the tip personally? How do you go about leaving them a tip on the first day - maybe with a note?

Any way we can make this first cruise a memorable one, we want to do.

Actually where we are in Canada we are having lovely weather. We are where the Olympics will be and they are worried that there isn't going to be enough natural snow around. They are in a panic already, grooming the hills with fake snow.

You really think something Olympic would be appreciated?

Do you always see your attendant to hand him/her the tip personally? How do you go about leaving them a tip on the first day - maybe with a note?

Any way we can make this first cruise a memorable one, we want to do.

Hi Bev.....You do not need to do anything until the last night of the cruise. If there is a special request at the beginning....5 bucks would be nice but if not, You should see the room attendant sometime in the morning and the evening hours every day....not all of the time but regularly thoughout the cruise. Remember, they are working in quite a few rooms so you might not see them in the hallways. They will meet you on the first day and will remember your names throughout the cruise...not sure how they do that but they do.......Don't worry......You will have a blast...Where are you going and when?

Mike

I gave our cabin attendant a small cheap picture frame when I first met him. He left and came back with 2 robes. The next night he left a bottle of wine in an ice bucket. Now I take a small little gift every time. I guess some of the attendants appreciate it and some don't.

He regifted you. His next cruiser is going to get a picture frame.

We have always received great service. A tip up front seems to ensure it but you don't know that it would have made the difference. We do appreciate all they do and always have an envelope for them last day. BTW, they make themselves very visible on the last day.

I usually have a a few snack size candy bars to include with a room service tip and tell the room steward to help himself. Not sure if they do because most would never touch any personal items unless you left them in the middle of a messy bed he had to make up. I always try to straighten up our personal stuff before leaving the room.

We sometimes leave items we don't have room to pack. They can use them or throw them away - a bottle of wine, travel mugs, a cruise line tee shirt, etc.

In the end, cash is best. When I asked, one steward said he got to go into town that day - he had to wire money home to the family (4 kids). We then talked about his kids; I like to get to know them a little. They work hard for the least wages and depend greatly on tips.

If my boss gave me a trinket instead of money as a bonus I would also thank him profusely but would not mean a word of it.

The staff are sacrificing time with their families for months at a time and work far more hours in a day than most of us do. They do it for money. If you want to show appreciation give them money and if you feel the need to thank them more give them more money.

We always just give money. If we are getting off the ship we do ask if there is anything they would like us to pick up if they are not able to get off. Strangest request was flavored potato chips, so we brought back tons of different flavored chips and they were thrilled. The only other thing I had brought was tiny LED candles which I use in the room and on the balcony and after giving one to one of the bartenders as a joke I had other bartenders ask if we had anymore, (they were very polite about it) so I gave them all that I had and I usually take them with us every cruise now.

Buy a bag of mini rollos or mini treats, roll them in $2 bills and pass them out. If your gonna give money on the first day and want to have preferred treatment than slide them a $50. If your Canada and want it to make it more memoriable, slide them a Red $50. cheaping out on a overpriced souvenir from Vancouver Canada will only thought of a Kmart gift.

I'am from Vancouver, we will be away for 5 weeks down south and happy to leave Hongcouver. Sadly, we are gonna pay for years thereafter for this Olympics that is for the rich , for Mr Campbell and his wife. He made Vancouver extremely expensive after Expo and now has made our province the most expenssive to live.

I have sent a fax not to broadcast the Olympics on MUts.

Your Crew would be more happy to take money as they support many of their family members from their poor homeland where Canadian and American currencies do not float around as it does in Europe.