Gifts for your room attendant?

We used to give international calling cards in addition to extra cash at the end of the week. And they really seemed to appreciate them. We even saw our steward using one in town one day. Now with the accessibility of cell phones, Skype, etc. we don't think they are needed as much. We continue to give extra cash at the end of our trip. We put it in a hand written thank you note along with the tip voucher. I like the idea of giving a letter to the hotel director praising our staff by name. I think I will do this on our Serenade cruise next month.

Money is tops, $2 bills are difficult for them to cash as they are odd and not normal currency. Clerks in the US don't like them and there is no slot in the cash drawer for them. My DW worked as a parimutuel clerk at the local horse track and some people thought it was clever to make their $2 bets with $2 bills. When she tried to get rid of them when paying out winnings, people would not accept them.

I also find it hard to believe that the crew does not have steak or fish in their dining venue and would need a passenger to prepare a plate from the buffet. What do they serve them gruel?

As one vendor in Costa Maya told me "Cash is king." He'd rather have cash than a credit card payment for something and would give an even larger discount for cash.

I don't think any steward is going to frown if you give them something so as to not hurt your feelings. I'm sure glad I got $$ as a Christmas bonus rather than a chit for a turkey.

Edited by cruzincurt

We take along a few thank you cards and put extra cash in the last night...if we feel the service has been outstanding. Happily we have given extra on almost all occasions. Writing a nice personal note to them is something they enjoy, I have had a number of attendants and servers come to hug me and thank me for the note.

I have to disagree with those who state tipping up front gets them better service. We have never tipped up front and have gotten the exact same service people write about as being special or preferred service.

We gave small boxes of Sees candies at Christmas and told them to share with their friends. I realize that some may not like candy or chocolate, but it can be shared, it isn't an item that needs to be stored, so if a person wants to give a small token that is not something that will take up cabin space, I think service staff will appreciate it.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I leave a couple of bucks a day, a piece of snack candy, and a note thanking them for doing something nice. If they have really been good, we leave extra money as we vacate the cabin. Once we had one of our better stewards and I had $10 in an envelope and a note to leave when we vacated the cabin. Mind you, that is a total of $25 over the auto tip he had received. Well I guess he was one of those that once the tip is firmly in hand, you are toast because he lightly knocked and before I could get to the door, he barged into the cabin at 7:00 a.m. disembarkation day. He said he thought we had left as he saw my husband going down the hall. Sorry, Charlie, husband was on the balcony getting out of my way. More like he wanted us up and out of there to prepare it for the next cruise. Anyway, the $10 went back in my wallet and we make sure the do not disturb sign is in the door and the security chain locking it.

One thing they appreciate almost as much as cash (and free) is an excellent rating by name on the exit survey. This gets them extra time off and promotions.

As for the candy, if they don't want it due to dietary restrictions or don't like it, I'm sure they can find volunteers to take it off their hands (lol).

What is funny is that they always graciously thank us for the candy and, sometimes the note, but never mention the cash (lol)

Tucker in Texas

I try to think of it as "if it were me, what would I want?" Honestly, straight cash. I think a lot of the ideas on here are really well-intentioned, but how would you feel if someone just left a bag of what is basically stuff you don't want? Samples of lotion that they won't be able to buy if they like it? Other stuff they don't have room for? Maybe they all have a party at the end of the cruise where they exchange the gifts that their passengers give them? Baseball hats and backpacks won't feed their families.

I agree cash is king. Above and beyond that...,

DH and I like to cruise at Halloween; we decorate our door and dress up after dinner for cocktails. (Somehow DH is always Count Dracula making double duty for his tux.) We take boxes of full size candy bars and pass them out all day and then to anyone that actually knocks on our door. You would be surprised how many staff/crew members really like this, well I was.

DH and I have had the pleasure of our wine steward spending his only day off during our 11 day cruise to hang out with us in Key West so we made sure he didn't have to buy a "Jack and Coke" all day.

I like to blow bubbles from the aft when leaving port and happily give them to the staff/crew when they show interest. Sometimes it is just fun to be a kid.

The best gift I have ever gifted was to Ramona from the Millennium. I sailed her the week before Christmas and she set the bar for all others. She was so good to my son (doing college finals from our stateroom and therefore always in the room while at sea)and I it was like having a friend that was OC. She said that some cruisers don't even talk to the crew and I made her feel special, and the next week, the week of Christmas is the worst, heavy work load, more people, higher expectations, and no off time for anyone. So I decided that her Christmas was this week with us and I gave her the pendant I was wearing. It was a small gold package with an even smaller diamond in the center of the ribbon on a gold chain. She and I stayed in touch for several years.

With all of that said, I do not go above and beyond indiscriminately, it is a building thing which is hard to do in a week and you have to have someone that is open to you if not just drop the cash and move on. Everybody leaves happy.:)

Our last crusie (which was our second) I brought a tin of the Old Salem Cookies from NC (we live about 2 hours from there). I gave them to our room steward the when we met her. I thought she might like something different that she couldn't get at any of her ports. She was thrilled and said she would save them to share with her daughter when she goes home in a few weeks. Needless to say, I felt good and she sure seemed to appreciate it.

Erika

I live 10mins from Old Salem...love that place and their cookies are AWESOME!

I will cast another vote for cash.

For those folks that live in such cramped quarters and work such crazy hours , that really is the best.

I know everyone that gives a nice gift, or a specialty from their home town mean well and it really is a sweet gesture, But like someone else said the crew may be allergic or not like a certain food item.

A baseball hat or a regional t shirt won't have the same sentiment as it does to you. just because your home town is the Tutti Frutti Upside Down Cake capitol of america doesn't mean everyone loves it.

Even phone cards to call home are iffy. Have you ever seen how many different cards there are hanging on that wall in the convenience store? each one has different rates and are for different calling ranges. I am sure the crew know which are the right ones and the best value for where they need to call. Give them the cash, they can get what they need.

I remember reading an interview with Richard Dawson about the years he hosted Family Feud. If you remember the show you know every week contestants and audience members would give him piles of stuff. Homemade goodies, handmade items that said "I Love Family Feud" , T shirts from every town in America, and other assorted knick knacks.

he said once the gift was given and shown on the air and he shook hands or kissed the giver, he never saw the item again. it was taken off stage and either thrown out or put in a warehouse. Kind of a waste.

Cash is best

We have a small university in our town, so we give all our service folks University of Michigan T shirts, and have found they love them, often we see them wear them ashore, many times they take them home to a child or sibling ect. We'll also bring sweets back from shore and of course xtra dollars for great servce.

Take an interest in them, there homes and families, shows you see them as a person not just as a servent.

Izzy

ps keep you cabin picked up!

We have a small university in our town, so we give all our service folks University of Michigan T shirts, and have found they love them, often we see them wear them ashore, many times they take them home to a child or sibling ect. We'll also bring sweets back from shore and of course xtra dollars for great servce.

Take an interest in them, there homes and families, shows you see them as a person not just as a servent.

Izzy

ps keep you cabin picked up!

Izzy, I will say, as an alum of said "small" university, these gifts are clearly better than any cash they could receive! :) Need to get the maize and blue all over the world!

Oh yes and on Valentine cruises we take the little chocolate hearts with our name and state room number on it and we pass them out to all types of staff/crew members like the service techs, the front desk staff, people that normally do not get tokens or work for tips. Since the small tokens are not replacing tip money we have found them to be most gracious. A couple have said they were excited because they could to send it to their children back home.

Well, my MIL's comment (and this is a very dear woman usually) was, "What do the think we are - destitute?!? We can still afford our own soap!" :eek: She was truly offended. Sigh..... :)

So the moral of the story.......... gifts don't always mean the same thing to the recipient as they do to the giver. ;)

Great story!

I agree cash is best. But our last cruise we brought funny gag style gifts for our waiter and assist. waiter. They absolutley loved them! We brought things like fake glasses with eye balls in them, a monkey with hands and feet that stuck to the window, and small magic trick box. We gave good tips too but the gifts felt a bit more personal.:)

Very cute.

Our last cruise in December' date=' our room stewart was extremely friendly and always around in the morning and evening. On the first formal night we were talking and joking with him about the food. He mentioned that he would love to be able to eat in the dinning room. He would love a good steak dinner. Well we went off to dinner, but I got to thinking about what he said. The next night I asked him if he would like me to bring him back some food from the buffet. He said yes, if it wouldn't be to much of a problem or going out of my way. I asked him what he would like, he mentioned steak, fish, and rice. It seems they don't get any steak and fish in the crew dinning room. I went up to the buffett, put togehter a plate, brought it down to our room and left it for him along with silverware and a drink from the mini-fridge. That way he was able to eat it in our room while he was doing his evening chores in our room. You can't image how appreciate he was the next morning. Over the course of the rest of the week, we brought him other treats from the buffet. I think he was sad to see us leave that cruise![/quote']

Wow....so thoughtful.

I agree with those of you who say Cash Is King. I hate getting little trinkets for Christmas. How many more candles and bottles of scented lotion does one woman need?

• 6 years later...

We have cruised a lot - and have a lot of experience with interactions with our cabin attendant. I disagree with some of these responses based on my personal experience.

We always give extra $$; but, we also leave something special for them with a note one or two days during the cruise - its not expensive .. just a a small fancy type of chocolate ... lindt, godiva etc. If they are allergic- I am never told that and I assume that they would just give to another crew member. I don't think its about the chocolate: but, about the thought. While I know some of you think they do not want them -- I can tell you from personal experience that I am far more thanked repeatedly for a small godiva chocolate and a personal note - than I ever am for extra tips. The first time it is brought up you can say that they may be just acting -but, often it goes beyond one/two/three times ...

I am not saying they wouldn't rather get green - what I am saying is that they work 18 hours a day and probably do not get a lot of personal notes. They are missing their families and have some really high maintenance rooms to clean. I like being low maintenance and appreciative and for that we get memorable service.

Its no different than those of us in our job - we appreciate when someone takes the personal time to outline why they appreciate us. Yes we prefer a raise; but, a hearty sincere note of appreciation goes a long way.

Edited by hackwid

I agree that cash is king, but here is an idea for anyone who doesn't drink alcohol. Our family drinks very very little alcohol, so we barely touch our alotted 2 bottles of wine per cabin that we bring on board. We have given out the unopened bottles of wine as gifts, along with cash, and it was always really appreciated. Plus, I figure if they don't drink, it's never hard to find a friend that does. :)