Gifts for your room attendant?

We have cruised a lot - and have a lot of experience with interactions with our cabin attendant. I disagree with some of these responses based on my personal experience.

We always give extra $$; but, we also leave something special for them with a note one or two days during the cruise - its not expensive .. just a a small fancy type of chocolate ... lindt, godiva etc. If they are allergic- I am never told that and I assume that they would just give to another crew member. I don't think its about the chocolate: but, about the thought. While I know some of you think they do not want them -- I can tell you from personal experience that I am far more thanked repeatedly for a small godiva chocolate and a personal note - than I ever am for extra tips. The first time it is brought up you can say that they may be just acting -but, often it goes beyond one/two/three times ...

I am not saying they wouldn't rather get green - what I am saying is that they work 18 hours a day and probably do not get a lot of personal notes. They are missing their families and have some really high maintenance rooms to clean. I like being low maintenance and appreciative and for that we get memorable service.

Its no different than those of us in our job - we appreciate when someone takes the personal time to outline why they appreciate us. Yes we prefer a raise; but, a hearty sincere note of appreciation goes a long way.

You realize you resurrected an almost 7 year old thread?:D

• 5 months later...

A well traveled friend suggested that Cabin Stewards? Room Attendants? have always (seemed to) appreciate the nescafe she brought for them, in addition to cash. I am cruising in about a week and a half as a "warm up" for my fall TA in the fall. I will try to assess whether or not nescafe and cash is a good idea.

I know of one member on here who live in Galveston, and when Liberty is in port, they go pick up their favorite room steward, take him to Walmart and give him a Walmart gift card. Or they may have several that they do that for. They have become dear to each other though.

But I know I've read the gift cards are perfectly acceptable to them. If it's money, I've also read that they must pool it. Don't know if that is really true, but they wouldn't pool a gift card.

• 1 year later...
A well traveled friend suggested that Cabin Stewards? Room Attendants? have always (seemed to) appreciate the nescafe she brought for them, in addition to cash. I am cruising in about a week and a half as a "warm up" for my fall TA in the fall. I will try to assess whether or not nescafe and cash is a good idea.

Did they like the Nescafe?

Like many, I always give cash as extra tips on top of prepaid.

From what I understand, crew have small cabins, don't have room for "trinkets" & prefer cash to do with what they want.

The only time I gave a present was last year when our cabin steward told me he had 2 young kids (I have 2 myself) & his family lived in Haiti & we were stopping in Labadee the next day. He told me the kids had never been able to come see him at the ship. In addition to all of the tips & extra cash, I bought 2 bath towels with "Freedom of the Seas" on them from the logo shop for him to give to his kids. Call me sappy, but I figured whenever they wrapped themselves in them, it could be a little "hug" from their dad.

his family lived in Haiti..... I bought 2 bath towels with "Freedom of the Seas" on them from the logo shop for him to give to his kids.

FYI, there's severe restrictions on luggage allowance when flying to Haiti so dad could have left those towels behind somewhere.

Cash every time and then they can buy what they want.

I prepay my gratuities and give extra tips. I also like to give little gifts as well. Usually specialty treats from home and ports. It's the thought that counts. They are always grateful for all. If they don't like something or can't have it, there is 1000 other crew members they can give it to or swap it with.

I never once said I did not tip.... I was just wondering if they liked it, because the poster said she would let us know. I am curious....

Agree. I wonder if the 'gift' people give gifts to servers at restaurants they go to at home.

That would be dumb. I prepay my gratuities and give extra tips. In a restaurant, the tip isn't already prepaid. The little treats I give are just a little added bonus. Unless they ask for a trinket (when I ask if they want something in port), I usually do treats. I started doing this after a conversation with one of my room attendants that they don't get candy and stuff often as all their extra money goes home or to necessities. It's just an extra thank you. Moravian Cookies from Old Salem with $5 on day one (something from home). Day 2-whatever, I do $5 each day with a treat from the port (Mexican chocolate, rum cakes, etc. or candies and chips brought from home if a sea day). This is on top of what I pre-pay... Yes I am a "gift" person.. but that is along with cash and pre-pay. I like little gifts, and I like to give.

This is for room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter

Biker-I understand what you are saying about flight restrictions, but to clarify, our ship stopped in Haiti (Labadee) so he was able to walk off ship into port & see his family.

He said he did this every 2 weeks as the ship alternated E & W Caribbean each week.

Sometimes i ask my cabin attendant if i could bring him a soft drink when i get off at a port. One specified which soda, the other said whatever i chose. am not sure if they have access, without paying, to soft drinks in their dining area. (We of course tip extra, usually some on the first day more later.)

This thread is almost 10 year old. 10 years ago, CASH was the best thing to give. Fast forward almost 10 years and it is still CASH! They are away from family for one reason - CASH.

M

Yet people are treating it like a new thread and here we go again..............:rolleyes:

Biker-I understand what you are saying about flight restrictions, but to clarify, our ship stopped in Haiti (Labadee) so he was able to walk off ship into port & see his family.

He said he did this every 2 weeks as the ship alternated E & W Caribbean each week.

He is very lucky to have his family close enough to do that.

Hey guys, I know that these people work really hard and I was wondering if you have ever given your state room attendant a gift. I was thinking like a small international calling card or an iTunes card. I would obviously still tip the regular amount or more, but I was just curious. Do you know of anything they need that they have a hard time getting? Thanks!

Without even reading the thread I can tell you most will say the best gift is cash. My opinion...give them whatever you feel to be a nice gesture and is something they would like/use. Which is the same approach most people take when giving anyone a gift.

Or, you could take the approach that nothing more than the customary assessment levied by the cruise line is necessary. Unless they do something special that I requested, I don't feel anything further has been earned. If I request something extra and get it then a gift of some kind may be warranted. However, if I give a gift and the recipient doesn't like it or want it, then it is up to them to either re-gift or throw the gift in the trash.

Yet people are treating it like a new thread and here we go again..............:rolleyes:

Lol, threads should have some kinda expiration date where they automatically close after so long! One that wouldnt prevent one from reading but would certainly prevent from resurrecting 9 year old threads to the front page :D;p:cool: