Gifts for your room attendant?

That would be dumb. I prepay my gratuities and give extra tips. In a restaurant, the tip isn't already prepaid. The little treats I give are just a little added bonus. Unless they ask for a trinket (when I ask if they want something in port), I usually do treats. I started doing this after a conversation with one of my room attendants that they don't get candy and stuff often as all their extra money goes home or to necessities. It's just an extra thank you. Moravian Cookies from Old Salem with $5 on day one (something from home). Day 2-whatever, I do $5 each day with a treat from the port (Mexican chocolate, rum cakes, etc. or candies and chips brought from home if a sea day). This is on top of what I pre-pay... Yes I am a "gift" person.. but that is along with cash and pre-pay. I like little gifts, and I like to give.

This is for room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter

Just think though, if you spend $5 per day on gifts your cabin steward may or probably won't want or use, that could be $35 in additional cash for them. What would YOU rather have from your boss at your job - a cookie, a rum cake and a soda or extra money to take home and spend how you wish on your family? Crew are doing this to make money - same as all of us are at our jobs. Of course they will smile and show gratitude and appreciation, just as we do for unwanted gifts, but I bet they would prefer additional money deep down.

Like many, I always give cash as extra tips on top of prepaid.

From what I understand, crew have small cabins, don't have room for "trinkets" & prefer cash to do with what they want.

The only time I gave a present was last year when our cabin steward told me he had 2 young kids (I have 2 myself) & his family lived in Haiti & we were stopping in Labadee the next day. He told me the kids had never been able to come see him at the ship. In addition to all of the tips & extra cash, I bought 2 bath towels with "Freedom of the Seas" on them from the logo shop for him to give to his kids. Call me sappy, but I figured whenever they wrapped themselves in them, it could be a little "hug" from their dad.

Nice of you to do that.

I prepay my gratuities and give extra tips. I also like to give little gifts as well. Usually specialty treats from home and ports. It's the thought that counts. They are always grateful for all. If they don't like something or can't have it, there is 1000 other crew members they can give it to or swap it with.

I never once said I did not tip.... I was just wondering if they liked it, because the poster said she would let us know. I am curious....

I always prepay our tips plus give $200 cash tips in a week's cruise.

I gave the cabin steward my C&A Harmony block and he seemed a bit bemused by it but smiled at the extra $40 cash I gave him.

That would be dumb. I prepay my gratuities and give extra tips. In a restaurant, the tip isn't already prepaid. The little treats I give are just a little added bonus. Unless they ask for a trinket (when I ask if they want something in port), I usually do treats. I started doing this after a conversation with one of my room attendants that they don't get candy and stuff often as all their extra money goes home or to necessities. It's just an extra thank you. Moravian Cookies from Old Salem with $5 on day one (something from home). Day 2-whatever, I do $5 each day with a treat from the port (Mexican chocolate, rum cakes, etc. or candies and chips brought from home if a sea day). This is on top of what I pre-pay... Yes I am a "gift" person.. but that is along with cash and pre-pay. I like little gifts, and I like to give.

This is for room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter

That's nice of you,I sell chocolate but at home I always give cash tips although one time in my regular Frankie & Benny's restaurant for breakfast I had several bags in my car so I went out and brought them in and they were delighted.

Just think though, if you spend $5 per day on gifts your cabin steward may or probably won't want or use, that could be $35 in additional cash for them. What would YOU rather have from your boss at your job - a cookie, a rum cake and a soda or extra money to take home and spend how you wish on your family? Crew are doing this to make money - same as all of us are at our jobs. Of course they will smile and show gratitude and appreciation, just as we do for unwanted gifts, but I bet they would prefer additional money deep down.
Perfectly explained.

A few years ago I started to bring a bunch of dark chocolate bars and give them out to different crew members just for being kind. I continue giving cash tips as well. Most really like the chocolate.
As someone who sells chocolate give Milk Chocolate every time.

Besides giving additional tips at the end of the cruise, we always ask if they are going to be able to get off the ship while in port. If they are, we give them some money to either eat out or buy something they need. If they are not able to get off, we always ask if there is something they need we could bring back for them. While in port we ran into our cabin stewards as they were going to buy food off a food truck. We gave them money for their dinner & they were most appreciative.

If you read the whole thing, you would see I give money too. Plus I prepay gratuities, so they get plenty of cash from me.

I would love and appreciate anything my boss gave me, as it is the thought that counts. I would love for her to come to my class and say here is $5 and a candy bar because I appreciate you, just once in awhile. Or even a little thank you card that could be addressed to the whole staff if she didn't want to write each of us an individual one.

I always prepay our tips plus give $200 cash tips in a week's cruise.

I gave the cabin steward my C&A Harmony block and he seemed a bit bemused by it but smiled at the extra $40 cash I gave him.

I wish I could give them an extra $200, but I just can't afford it. The little treats I get don't usually cost much and they each get $35-$50. I don't buy myself much souvenirs, so my extra spending money goes between the three. I just remember one cabin attendant talking about how much she would love something sweet, so I do this as well, but I normally ask what they would like first (except for the treat I bring from home). If they say anything or it doesn't matter. I won't give anything, just the money. But usually they know what treat they like and crave.

I have yet to have anyone ask for toiletries as another poster mentioned.

Why are people judging what others choose to do for their attendants? If they want to give gifts along with money, that should be up to them and not made to feel bad about what they do. I have had attendants ask for certain snacks (when I asked if they would like anything) and I know they appreciate it. Even if it's not something they like or want, a lot of them appreciate the thought.

No one should be made to feel bad about there choice to give gifts and cash or just cash. everyone should do what they want to do and are comfortable with and not worry about how anyone else feels about it.

If you don't agree, be nicer about it. People on this thread are hateful.

You don't know what other people would want, so don't presume to and definitely don't tell me what I would want from my boss.... I like little gifts whether its something I don't know what to do with or cash. I appreciate that someone cared enough to think of me.

I wish I could give them an extra $200, but I just can't afford it. The little treats I get don't usually cost much and they each get $35-$50. I don't buy myself much souvenirs, so my extra spending money goes between the three. I just remember one cabin attendant talking about how much she would love something sweet, so I do this as well, but I normally ask what they would like first (except for the treat I bring from home). If they say anything or it doesn't matter. I won't give anything, just the money. But usually they know what treat they like and crave.

I have yet to have anyone ask for toiletries as another poster mentioned.

About $160 goes to the DL and speciality restaurant waiters.

Hey guys, I know that these people work really hard and I was wondering if you have ever given your state room attendant a gift. I was thinking like a small international calling card or an iTunes card. I would obviously still tip the regular amount or more, but I was just curious. Do you know of anything they need that they have a hard time getting? Thanks!

giphy.gif

Why are people judging what others choose to do for their attendants? If they want to give gifts along with money, that should be up to them and not made to feel bad about what they do..

Because it's the internet. People were asking for opinions then when someone gives one you don't like people have a melt down. The question should be, Why are you letting perfect strangers wind you up?

I give little trinkets from where I live. Miniature John Deere trucks hats and keychains. I also usually bring a 5x7 or 8x10 framed pic of our family for the steward as we tend to cruise the same ships more than 1x and for holiday cruises I tend to bring holiday related stuff. A plastic pumpkin fill with candy at Halloween. A felt stocking at Christmas and a basket at Easter. We drive to ports so we can easily bring larger sizes

The stewards love this stuff

Giving cash above and beyond the prepaid tips just seems impersonal to me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I give little trinkets from where I live. Miniature John Deere trucks hats and keychains. I also usually bring a 5x7 or 8x10 framed pic of our family for the steward as we tend to cruise the same ships more than 1x and for holiday cruises I tend to bring holiday related stuff. A plastic pumpkin fill with candy at Halloween. A felt stocking at Christmas and a basket at Easter. We drive to ports so we can easily bring larger sizes

The stewards love this stuff

Giving cash above and beyond the prepaid tips just seems impersonal to me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously? Why on earth would they want a framed photo of YOUR family? They have almost no storage in their cabins - barely enough to display a photo of THEIR family.

I think that many people forget that the crew are on board to perform a job. Most of them come from regions of the world where poverty is endemic. While $35 may not seem like a lot of money to those of us who can afford to cruise - that same $35 buys a lot of necessities back home where the crew come from. I believe that most of the crew are sending their paychecks home to support their family. If we give them cash as an additional tip they can choose to spend it on themselves right then or send it home. I think it should be their decision.

I looked up the average MONTHLY earnings in Indonesia - where many of the crew are from. For 2017, it was $183 US PER MONTH! So just think - that $35 of extra gratuities would amount to 19% of the average monthly income. Puts things in more perspective.

Edited by cello56
Added more information.