Cruise Critic, Bloggers, John Heald and the Carnival Fantasy!!!

*Mach*

For those of us not lucky enough to have joined you guys on the cruise, I was wondering if you could recount some of what John conveyed in regards to his hopes for the future of Carnival?

I sure HOPE John doesn't want to re-instate that old Carnival tradition of the male nightgown contest fleetwide :eek:

Congrats, by the way :D

I wasn't taking notes but a couple of items were

Reworking of the VIP program. Possibly another additional level for even more perks. Still based on number of cruises.

Possibility of Carnival ships retuning to Europe in 2010. An anouncement may be made soon.

The Book on Board program expanding to all ships very soon.

I don't think you have to worry about the male night gown contest returning. John says a 15 year absense was not long enough.

Many of us expressed desires for Carnival to return to Europe ASAP!

Time will tell if there are any repos to for 2010. No confirmation on that front.

Someone in a position to know (not John) indicated something new was being tried on Lido on Fantasy (not just this cruise) and it is not official, so maybe or maybe not.

Past guest benefits, particularly Platinum, are being re-evaluated. John did indicate there may be a Platinum PG party in the future. Anyway, some announcements may be made late Springish or before or not.

Robert was indeed alive and at work this morning.

The Bloggers were robbed of a typical cruise ship departure from New Orleans. Normally the ships have the pointy end upriver and have to swing around to head toward the Gulf. We checked out hte Fantasy leaving today, and it was as it should have been (Maybe the World ship was in the way last week).

Anywho - this is what it should have be (from today's sailing). But first, the commercial (J/K)

IMG_6157.JPG

IMG_6172.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6219.JPG

For those of us not lucky enough to have joined you guys on the cruise, I was wondering if you could recount some of what John conveyed in regards to his hopes for the future of Carnival?

I sure HOPE John doesn't want to re-instate that old Carnival tradition of the male nightgown contest fleetwide :eek:

Congrats, by the way :D

Sure... I'd be glad to. I can't count the number times that John mentioned publicly and with me in private how important that Galveston is to Carnival. Their commitment to Galveston is higher now than ever in the past. The Conquest and Ecstasy constantly sail full and pricing remains strong. That's not the case in many markets.

There is some movement away from Miami as the demand in that area has dropped and increased in others. An example would be the relocation of the Pride to Baltimore.

Questions were raised about Carnival's return to the European market. The only thing that John could offer was that 'bringing the ships home' was the right thing to do. Carnival is well positioned in the market and head and shoulders over some other lines who were late to make a similar move.

He raised the possibility of more South American sailings. The information that the crew of the Splendor gathers about passenger reaction to South America will be invaluable in developing new destinations.

I posed the question about the viability of ships the size of the Oasis. All of the Carnival folks expressed valid concerns about the ability of ANY line to be able to fill a ship the size of the Oasis especially considering that very few, three I believe, ports and accommodate her. It's doubtful that you'll see ships larger than the Dream wearing a Farcus Funnel for quite some time.

Expect new emphasis on marketing entertainment on Carnival ships. Most folks readily admit that there are two areas that Carnival excels in... food and entertainment and it's time to tout those strengths.

The comment that intrigued me most, and it should you, was for a third ship for Galveston!!! We talked about different itineraries, longer, shorter and we even discussed Cuba.

Reworking of the VIP program. / Possibility of Carnival ships retuning to Europe in 2010. / The Book on Board program expanding to all ships very soon.

I don't think you have to worry about the male night gown contest returning. John says a 15 year absense was not long enough.

Thanks for those points. And I'll say, I'm in full accord with John on the 15 year absense!!!

I'm curious - did any questions regarding the future / long term plans for the fleet, expansion, new ships, etc. come up at the blogger's Q&A?

Carnival currently only has Dream & Magic in the queue, and after that no plans for new ships. At the same time, the Fantasy class work horses of the fleet are aging, and even with EOF upgrades, awfully ugly balconies they just strapped to sensation, etc. aren't entirely comparable to the new classes of ships being produced. Meanwhile, the oldest ship in the fleet is on its way out, and other lines are relatively more agressive in their expansion and modernization, with the likes of Oasis @ RCI and Solstice @ Celebrity.

This just leaves me wondering, what's next - if even 3-5 yrs down the road.

Thanks for those points. And I'll say, I'm in full accord with John on the 15 year absense!!!

I'm curious - did any questions regarding the future / long term plans for the fleet, expansion, new ships, etc. come up at the blogger's Q&A?

Carnival currently only has Dream & Magic in the queue, and after that no plans for new ships. At the same time, the Fantasy class work horses of the fleet are aging, and even with EOF upgrades, awfully ugly balconies they just strapped to sensation, etc. aren't entirely comparable to the new classes of ships being produced. Meanwhile, the oldest ship in the fleet is on its way out, and other lines are relatively more agressive in their expansion and modernization, with the likes of Oasis @ RCI and Solstice @ Celebrity.

This just leaves me wondering, what's next - if even 3-5 yrs down the road.

If someone knew with absolute certainty what the economy would be like in 3-5 years, it would be easier to answer your question.

3-5 years down the road, I'm pretty sure Carnival will still be the most popular cruise line and the most profitable.

The only way to grow a business is to attract new customers while holding on to existing ones. In this economy, new cruisers are fewer, so my guess is that they are trying to increase the number of repeat customers to keep the cash flow going.

John also did not do a Bed Time story.

Thanks, Mach, for recounting those points.

Sure... I'd be glad to. I can't count the number times that John mentioned publicly and with me in private how important that Galveston is to Carnival. Their commitment to Galveston is higher now than ever in the past.

That's great news indeed!

There is some movement away from Miami as the demand in that area has dropped and increased in others.

I was shocked when I realized how many ships sail from Miami. I understand it has a superior geographical location as far as proximity to ports of call is concerned, but I mean really. Especially when one takes into account the large number of alternate ports in Florida. And we've all heard of those special 'resident rates' and last minute bargains in Florida... Not so much in Galveston...

I posed the question about the viability of ships the size of the Oasis. All of the Carnival folks expressed valid concerns about the ability of ANY line to be able to fill a ship the size of the Oasis especially considering that very few, three I believe, ports and accommodate her. It's doubtful that you'll see ships larger than the Dream wearing a Farcus Funnel for quite some time.

I'm really not surprised in the least about that one... The likes of Oasis isn't really concurrent with Carnival's business model... With the exception of the Spirit class, every new carnival ship since Destiny has been an effective carbon copy - and just lengthened, with an extra floor here and there and some extra bells and whistles... Destiny, Triumph, Conquest, Splendor (though some variation here), Dream classes - they're all pretty much the same... That's their model, they've proven it works, and aren't likely to stray from that - if it ain't broken, don't fix it...

I am curious if they might have shared any insight regarding subsequent vessels, however - albeit not larger than Dream, would they intend to produce ships of the same class, or slightly smaller as eventually the Fantasy class cycles out of the fleet? Did you pick up any insight on their intent for the duration of time they anticipate the EOF (and balcony additions such as on the sensation - ew ugly) upgrades to extend the service of the fantasy class? Any idea if they plan on adding those ugly balconies to the rest of the fantasy class?

Expect new emphasis on marketing entertainment on Carnival ships. Most folks readily admit that there are two areas that Carnival excels in... food and entertainment and it's time to tout those strengths.

Did John happen to hint at prospective NEW entertainment / activities that he's been batting around in his head, maybe? They sure are fun ships, no doubt... But some of the entertainment - primarily shows and daytime activities, can at times be a little formulaic? Any fresh new ideas?

The comment that intrigued me most, and it should you, was for a third ship for Galveston!!! We talked about different itineraries, longer, shorter and we even discussed Cuba.

You are correct sir, that sure does intrigue me... And I think it would be an absolutely fine idea... Of course I like the idea as that's about an hour away from me, but pragmatically speaking the port has access to a huge demographic / population center, and as you mentioned demand and prices are strong.

But I'd wager the bet, that in this case, 'if you build it, they will come' would ring true. If Carnival had a greater variety, and simply number, of cruises out of Galveston, I think demand would remain strong, and grow to suit capacity.

In terms of variety, I'm always a little dissappointed that with two ships, there's still a limited number of options available - 4, 5 days on Ecstacy, but given their schedules, they really equate to a week off work / on vacation - and 7 on Conquest year-round, which is even more days away - not to mention more $.

Just as far as itineraries go, I think Galveston would be very well served to offer a few shorter 2, 3 day cruises - maybe a 2 day to nowhere, and 3 day to cozumel or progresso. I would be apt to cruise FAR more often if I could fit a cruise into a long weekend, and especially for a lower cost of 200-300 at more than just the totally non-peak times (279 is the low price on 5 day Ecstasy right now)...

Frankly, I think it would also make people that wouldn't otherwise, consider cruising on Ecstasy... With the choice between Ecstasy and Conquest, I'd plan the extra time and cost for Conquest, hands down every time. I like the bigger, better ships... But if I had the chance for a shorter, less expensive cruise on Ecstasy - it's like a lesser commitment. I'd be more apt, open, and comfortable with less on the line...

Regarding the prospect of a third ship (woohoo! by the way), if I were carnival, I'd either...

1) Use the same logic as in the move of Destiny to Miami - take one of the older (than Conquest), Destiny forward class ships and have it do 3-5 day cruises - which would provide shorter, less expensive cruises on a bigger (than fantasy) ship with higher proportion of balconies (= more $) and public spaces / options that attract some people (like me)...

2) Move one of the newer (than Conquest) ships and re-cast it in the prime 7 day cruises, and possibly add limited longer length cruises. Would satiate those people that want the newest, bestest, most bells and whistles. Meanwhile, possibly open Conquest up to a few shorter itineraries, maybe alternating 4-6 day cruises.

And incidentally, if they moved a spirit class ship - then they add the people that prefer that class / size, have 1 of each of the 3 primary real structural classes, and add an additional appeal.

In both cases, have Ecstasy provide a wider variety of itineraries - 2, 3, 4 day cruises. Less of a time commitment, easy to take a 'quicky', and less expensive - I think these would be remarkably popular. Given the large number of people for who Galveston is the closest port, I think they'd fill up / sell. As mentioned before, I'd love long-weekend-cruises, but I simply can't take a week off of work very often for a cruise...

Maybe I should pass my comments on to John :cool: Does any of this resemble your or his thoughts in these conversations?

Finally, regarding the prospect of an additional ship in the Galveston / Houston metro, were there any discussions about the brand spankin' new Houston Bayport cruise terminal - where Ecstasy and Conquest sailed out of post-Ike?

I mean, seriously. We have a brand new cruise terminal... That no cruises leave from... I understand there's some friction between Galveston and Houston over this, and that Galveston is definitely a better 'resort destination' than where bayport is located, and that Carnival has contractual obligations and a pre-existing relationship with the port of Galveston... Just curious.

I don't mean to 'pick your brain' - but I think it's ripe right now ;)

If someone knew with absolute certainty what the economy would be like in 3-5 years, it would be easier to answer your question.

3-5 years down the road, I'm pretty sure Carnival will still be the most popular cruise line and the most profitable.

The only way to grow a business is to attract new customers while holding on to existing ones. In this economy, new cruisers are fewer, so my guess is that they are trying to increase the number of repeat customers to keep the cash flow going.

I"ll just say that I understand and agree on every point...

But at the same time, businesses the likes and size of carnival do and must project toward maintenance and development of their product. Assets such as ships have a defined period of time in which first they have cost of operation that warrants margin, and in which they remain marketable to produce the target return / margin, while being consistent with the corporate identity and plans for future maintenance of operations, modernization, replacement or expansion.

Plus, you can't just go and decide to buy a brand new cruise ship. Development and build take time, so it's a decision you have to make a couple years in advance.

Given economic conditions now and in the immediate future, it'd be most likely that they'd recycle an existing design to minimize costs. They'd also be wise to execute contracts while commodity materials prices for the likes of steel and other metals is low. If you're planning on expansion or modernization anyhow, a large corporation like carnival could use to their benefit a global economic downturn as such we're in the midst of (though I'd bet they'd wait even a little longer to find the bottom).

I was just wondering if it came up :D

You guys had a great opportunity to hear from and pick the brain of John Heald - definitely 'in the know' at carnival. I really am just curious.

GREAT pics, by the way. I've been following here and on your blog. Best I've seen yet!

me and suzy just got home few minutes ago, we didnt leave new orleans until about 8 pm 7 hour delay we tried to get onto flight that was delayed this morning and just missed it by minutes around 11am but our luggages did make that flight and was waiting in secured lock up area.

WE HAD A BLAST GREAT MEETING EVERYONE GREAT CRUISE MORE AFTER SOME SLEEP AND REST

I am curious if they might have shared any insight regarding subsequent vessels,

Maybe I should pass my comments on to John :cool: Does any of this resemble your or his thoughts in these conversations?

I don't recall any descussions of new ships other than that they did not want to go any larger than the current size model. Many felt that 5,000 - 5,500 passangers was an unmanageable number, espessaly in the event of an emergency that would require a abandon ship.

John did say that all feedback to the blog is reviewed weekly in the board meetings.

One other item discussed in reguards to ships sailing from Galveston was the option of a longer 8-10 day cruise to reach other eastern or southern ports.

Another item was the delay in returning to Costa Maya, it seems many of the Carnival Captains have reservations about docking at the long pier. But then in the same statement said they also had the same reservations about Pregresso.

John also did not do a Bed Time story.

By the way..you deserve the CC equivalent of an Emmy for your coverage of your cruise. You set a high bar.

I have to say that this cruise was a whirlwind of fun and excitement.

This was my FIRST Cruise Critic group cruise. So I am no longer a CCGC Virgin!!! LOL

Thank you to Host Mach who was brilliant!!!!

Loved meeting everyone. To many names to list !!! DJ now thinks he is a Star. He could not believe so many folks wanted to take their picture with him. Thank you for showing him such kindness.

I have to say that this cruise was a whirlwind of fun and excitement.

This was my FIRST Cruise Critic group cruise. So I am no longer a CCGC Virgin!!! LOL

Thank you to Host Mach who was brilliant!!!!

Loved meeting everyone. To many names to list !!! DJ now thinks he is a Star. He could not believe so many folks wanted to take their picture with him. Thank you for showing him such kindness.

It was great meeting you and David on the Fantasy. We had the long chat on embarkation day.

While we never met DJ we did see him all around the ship. It looked like he was having a great time. We were a little worried on the last night when Funship Freddie showed up at the farewell party.

Our grandson Tyler (15) sails with us about once a year. I know he would love to meet DJ and hang out with him as DJ know all the ins and outs of the teen cruise seen.

Thanks, Mach, for recounting those points.

That's great news indeed!

I was shocked when I realized how many ships sail from Miami. I understand it has a superior geographical location as far as proximity to ports of call is concerned, but I mean really. Especially when one takes into account the large number of alternate ports in Florida. And we've all heard of those special 'resident rates' and last minute bargains in Florida... Not so much in Galveston...

I'm really not surprised in the least about that one... The likes of Oasis isn't really concurrent with Carnival's business model... With the exception of the Spirit class, every new carnival ship since Destiny has been an effective carbon copy - and just lengthened, with an extra floor here and there and some extra bells and whistles... Destiny, Triumph, Conquest, Splendor (though some variation here), Dream classes - they're all pretty much the same... That's their model, they've proven it works, and aren't likely to stray from that - if it ain't broken, don't fix it...

I am curious if they might have shared any insight regarding subsequent vessels, however - albeit not larger than Dream, would they intend to produce ships of the same class, or slightly smaller as eventually the Fantasy class cycles out of the fleet? Did you pick up any insight on their intent for the duration of time they anticipate the EOF (and balcony additions such as on the sensation - ew ugly) upgrades to extend the service of the fantasy class? Any idea if they plan on adding those ugly balconies to the rest of the fantasy class?

Did John happen to hint at prospective NEW entertainment / activities that he's been batting around in his head, maybe? They sure are fun ships, no doubt... But some of the entertainment - primarily shows and daytime activities, can at times be a little formulaic? Any fresh new ideas?

You are correct sir, that sure does intrigue me... And I think it would be an absolutely fine idea... Of course I like the idea as that's about an hour away from me, but pragmatically speaking the port has access to a huge demographic / population center, and as you mentioned demand and prices are strong.

But I'd wager the bet, that in this case, 'if you build it, they will come' would ring true. If Carnival had a greater variety, and simply number, of cruises out of Galveston, I think demand would remain strong, and grow to suit capacity.

In terms of variety, I'm always a little dissappointed that with two ships, there's still a limited number of options available - 4, 5 days on Ecstacy, but given their schedules, they really equate to a week off work / on vacation - and 7 on Conquest year-round, which is even more days away - not to mention more $.

Just as far as itineraries go, I think Galveston would be very well served to offer a few shorter 2, 3 day cruises - maybe a 2 day to nowhere, and 3 day to cozumel or progresso. I would be apt to cruise FAR more often if I could fit a cruise into a long weekend, and especially for a lower cost of 200-300 at more than just the totally non-peak times (279 is the low price on 5 day Ecstasy right now)...

Frankly, I think it would also make people that wouldn't otherwise, consider cruising on Ecstasy... With the choice between Ecstasy and Conquest, I'd plan the extra time and cost for Conquest, hands down every time. I like the bigger, better ships... But if I had the chance for a shorter, less expensive cruise on Ecstasy - it's like a lesser commitment. I'd be more apt, open, and comfortable with less on the line...

Regarding the prospect of a third ship (woohoo! by the way), if I were carnival, I'd either...

1) Use the same logic as in the move of Destiny to Miami - take one of the older (than Conquest), Destiny forward class ships and have it do 3-5 day cruises - which would provide shorter, less expensive cruises on a bigger (than fantasy) ship with higher proportion of balconies (= more $) and public spaces / options that attract some people (like me)...

2) Move one of the newer (than Conquest) ships and re-cast it in the prime 7 day cruises, and possibly add limited longer length cruises. Would satiate those people that want the newest, bestest, most bells and whistles. Meanwhile, possibly open Conquest up to a few shorter itineraries, maybe alternating 4-6 day cruises.

And incidentally, if they moved a spirit class ship - then they add the people that prefer that class / size, have 1 of each of the 3 primary real structural classes, and add an additional appeal.

In both cases, have Ecstasy provide a wider variety of itineraries - 2, 3, 4 day cruises. Less of a time commitment, easy to take a 'quicky', and less expensive - I think these would be remarkably popular. Given the large number of people for who Galveston is the closest port, I think they'd fill up / sell. As mentioned before, I'd love long-weekend-cruises, but I simply can't take a week off of work very often for a cruise...

Finally, regarding the prospect of an additional ship in the Galveston / Houston metro, were there any discussions about the brand spankin' new Houston Bayport cruise terminal - where Ecstasy and Conquest sailed out of post-Ike?

I mean, seriously. We have a brand new cruise terminal... That no cruises leave from... I understand there's some friction between Galveston and Houston over this, and that Galveston is definitely a better 'resort destination' than where bayport is located, and that Carnival has contractual obligations and a pre-existing relationship with the port of Galveston... Just curious.

I don't mean to 'pick your brain' - but I think it's ripe right now ;)

I tried to respond to these points early this morning but my home network is having some attitude problems...

Miami has lost quite a bit of business in the recent past. Ships are relocating to other ports including other ports in Florida. Port Everglades comes to mind as one that has benefited.

Entertainment is something that is near and dear to all of our hearts. Carnival has one of the best reputations in the industry in that regard and the shows I saw on the Fantasy just bore out my opinion that Carnival has the best shows at sea. Having said all that, one of the targets for improvement is the area of entertainment. I spoke at length with Chris Prideaux. He holds the title 'Director of Onboard Programming'... read 'Entertainment Director.' Expect some new styles of activities, shows and such to appear on the horizon. Perhaps some 'name' performers or acts along with more live entertainment in what might be considered non traditional areas. Consider that the Carnival Dream will have live entertainment in four different areas in the Piazza alone!!!

If it ain't broke don't fix it is the exact phrase that John used and he is so right. There's huge concern over the very limited number of ports that an Oasis size vessel would be able to use and, of course, one has to be concerned about being able to find 5500 people who all want to go to the same ports on the same cruise. That's like getting two Conquest class ships to head out of port trailing each other. Don't look for Carnival to jump to that size ship any time in the future. I would not be surprised to see more vessels of the Spirit type, not class but type, appear. Carnival knows its target audience and they play to them well.

There was talk about varying itineraries and the length of cruises to make sailing from Galveston increasingly attractive. Eight days were mentioned as were cruises as short as three days. The third ship would allow remarkable amounts of flexibility in that arena.

John emphasized Carnival's commitment to Galveston many times, both publicly and privately. I would not expect Carnival to move to Bayport. Galveston has more than enough capacity to handle another ship the size of the Conquest... or... larger...

The homeport experience is VERY important to Carnival. There is NOTHING around Bayport. It's a fine facility, indeed, but there's nothing to market to increase the attractiveness of the port to potential passengers.

Lastly, and most telling to me, was a quick exchange between John and I... I asked if there was anything behind the rumor that the next ship coming to Galveston would be the Carnival Magic. He paused (atypical for John...) composed an answer and then rather quixotically danced around the answer. I don't mean to add fuel to a smoldering rumor pile but there you have it...

If I've missed anything please feel free to remind me and I'll sort out what I can.

We also had a great time on this cruise.

We had just under 100 folks help out at the Beacon of Hope Charity. We helped clean up Westend Park in Lakeview. I ended up a bit bloody when I fell in the water and had something scrape my arm while helping tear apart a house's balcony that had landed there. I kept telling people it was just a scrape but they made me quit working and go have it cleaned.

The cocktail party that night was fun right before we headed to Mother's to eat. It took awhile before we got in to eat. Some folks liked it while others did not. Afterwards some went to Pat O'Brians. Somehow we ended up at Harrah's casino. After playing for a bit we walked the 12 or so blocks back to the hotel.

The next day it was a quick cab ride over to the terminal. There were 88 Platinum guests on this sailing in addition to those in the suites. So VIP check-in was a bit stressed. Also they had a meeting/training session of the Carnival shore desk folks which delayed them getting started. Once they went to work, things moved right along.

We dropped our bags in the cabin and then went to eat lunch. This is my 8th time on the Fantasy so it was like coming home once again. Helped Mach and Stitch with the Cruise Critic hospitality desk before heading over to meet the gang for our 3pm get together.

3:30 muster drill. Carnival did something that just irks me. They sailed away while everyone was at the lifeboat stations. This is not fair for first time cruisers. Because we were already pointed downriver, it did not take long to round the first bend.

The rest of the cruise at this point becomes a whirlwind of activities as we try to hit all of the events going on. I also participated in the nightgown contest. Look for the guy in the red teddy wearing glasses. We couldnt have Mach up there by himself. I believe there were around 12 contestants. One of the funny parts was when we were waiting in the Library, a guy pops his head in and asks what is going on. We told him it was a meeting for Crossdressers Anonomous.

This is a great bunch of folks who went. There were many shouts of Are we there yet?

Dave

We also had a great time on this cruise.

The rest of the cruise at this point becomes a whirlwind of activities as we try to hit all of the events going on. I also participated in the nightgown contest. Look for the guy in the red teddy wearing glasses. We couldnt have Mach up there by himself. I believe there were around 12 contestants. One of the funny parts was when we were waiting in the Library, a guy pops his head in and asks what is going on. We told him it was a meeting for Crossdressers Anonomous.

This is a great bunch of folks who went. There were many shouts of Are we there yet?

Dave

I just gotta tell you thank you for wearing shorts under that g-string! Though, something tells me had you not..........you might have won first place :eek::eek::D:D

I just gotta tell you thank you for wearing shorts under that g-string! Though, something tells me had you not..........you might have won first place :eek::eek::D:D

What is funny is that John suggested that I take them off while we were in the library. I just could not "bare" it. Plus with that tiny g-string, it was a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

Dave

What is funny is that John suggested that I take them off while we were in the library. I just could not "bare" it. Plus with that tiny g-string, it was a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

Dave

Dave, will you do a repeat for the Nov. 10th cruise? I can't wait! LOL

Mary Lee

Archived