Souvenir ideas?

mistyinca

The sand thread prompted me to start this one.

On my last cruise, we went to Cabo and Ensenada, and I came home with practically nothing for souvenirs.

I'm one of those that hates to pick up a cheesy made-in-China (unless I was visiting China, which I never have) "fake" souvenir. I want something that truly reflects the place I'm visiting.

So, with that said, what do YOU like to bring home for a souvenir?

Why don't you do a picture souvenir. Take pictures of some cheesy things you find (we have pictures of us in some HORRIBLE hats and shirts) at the stores and when you get home, put them in a digital frame. Put in all the pictures, of the trip as well as the funny ones, in the frame and put it on shuffle. You can see a beautiful picture and then the next one will be of something really funny.

I look for unique wind chimes and mobiles. I have wind chimes outside, and mobiles inside. All I have to do is look at each one and remember exactly where I was - enjoying my vacation. :) I also bring some back for family/friends at times.

While I collect magnets/thimbles/salt & pepper shakers, one of the things I do enjoy is finding out what is made locally (prior to leaving) and trying to find that. In Costa Rica, I found a local artist that paints on bird feathers (cruise ships, other designs) and they are framed. Other times it's hand carved bowls or boxes. This way, not only do I have beautiful reminders, but also something made by someone "local". :)

We do the same thing; do our research before and find stuff that is made there or something that they are famous for. We also have a friend who has a "rock garden" and we bring back a rock for her in each place (she labels the bottom of them so she'll know where they're from).

I like to purchase decorative plates made locally - last time in LaRomana we purchased a beautiful painting - watched the artists - for only $60 but back home it cost me $400 to frame it because of the strange size - :rolleyes:

So this cruise I think I'll stick to decorative plates or carved wooden items

Get a Christmas ornament of the ship I am on (and try not to lose it before Christmas!), and when I am in a port, I like to get something from a local artist - from Belize I got metal iguanas that hang on my bathroom wall, and in Hondouras, I got a pendant.

I try to get things made by locals. And we like to eat in local resturants.

In Ensenada I have purchased masks made from gourds and have painted seashells from the Bufadora. I also like the Mexican Talevera pottery. The last time we went to one of the supermarkets and bought some small jars of Mole'. I can only get the large jars at home. The guy at the candy store told us how his mother doctors it up!

I head for a stand or shop that sells locally made items. I've been collecting small watercolors, sketches and oils for years...none larger than about 6" x 6". I prefer to buy from the artist but that's not always possible.....but many smaller local shops sell the work of these locals.

I've one entire wall that is filled with these delightful pictures from all over the world where travel has taken me. Rarely are they more than 10-20.00 and they last forever. I also buy these as gifts for family and friends when I'm shopping for them.

So much that's for sale at cruise ports is simply junk or high-end diamond dealers.....neither of which hold any interest for me.

Each one of them provokes a memory and I can recall where and when I bought them.

We also like to get something made locally. A painting, a little nick nack, an astray, a carved wooden bowl something like that. We also have the extensive magnet collection(we will be needing another refrigerator pretty soon just for magnets *LOL*)

Its fun to display things around the house and when you see them or a guest comments on it you can tell them where it was from.

Archived