Next Cruise Booking Balcony Credit Combinable

News from Crown and Anchor As of today the new rule is that if you have an OLD Next cruise certificate made before end of year December 31,2008 you will be able to combine it with the Platimun/Diamond Balcony Discount and receive both credits. Only NC from last year any new one will not be honered.

I booked my cruise for Oct 09 last month and used a next cruise cert. purchased on a cruise in Aug 08. They credited my deposit with the $100 I had paid for it at the time, gave my my Platinum discount but did not give me the OBC the NC Cert promised because they were not combining anything as of Jan 01. Would this mean I can call them and have them give me back my OBC from the NC cert now?

Oh, you've open a can of worms!!

On the Mariner pre-inaugural, during the TA Q&A (had to be careful where I put that ampserand:p), Vicki Freed (SVP of sales) announced that any Next Cruise purchased before the end of 2008 can be combined with one other benefit, either the shareholder credit or the Platinum/Diamond discount. But only one, not both. I'm not sure about a cruise promotion where RCI is just offering OBC as an incentive for booking.

Last week we had to move our cruise on the Mariner from June to December and they advised me that we would not be able to combine the benefits (we booked the NC in 2007).

I would call and ask them to reinstate the NC OBC - I think the change was effective last week or this week, and I would hope they'd apply it retroactively.

Last week we had to move our cruise on the Mariner from June to December and they advised me that we would not be able to combine the benefits (we booked the NC in 2007).

Spoke with a C&A rep yesterday. She said they just received a memo yesterday (or maybe the day before) that said if the reservation was booked prior to 1/1/09, any reservation not in the penalty period could be transferred (using the original booking number) without losing any of the benefits. The word fairness and loyalty were mentioned. I agreed that many were "forced" to make a quick reservation without being able to plan appropriately and I was very glad RCl realized and reacted favorably to the unique situation created when they placed restrictions on previously assumed benefits. Think they made a great decision in tough times. Hope things improve to bring all the combos back again.

Kathryn

I called and spoke with customer service at RCI and said I'd heard Vicki Freed announced some changes with the NC and that it would now be allowed with ONE benefit.

The agent said I needed to talk with the Executive Offices. I was transferred and talked with Amber. (in the executive offices on Tuesday.) I told her my situation:

1. I am holding a NC cert bought last April.

2. I made a reservation through RCI on Feb 19 for a cruise leaving on April 12th.

3. The reservations agent said I should not use the NC cert on the cruise I booked because the balcony discount ($300) was greater value than the OBC would be from the NC ($200).

Amber's response: "Let me see what I can do"....long wait... "We've just received a memo about this and you would have had to book the cruise prior to 12/31." Then she said something that sounded strange: "I will have to honor what the other agents have already told you." I was so frustrated, I just said, "Thanks." and I hung up.

What the heck is going on??

My contention is that I MADE a booking just by purchasing the NC certificate last April. I just didn't pick out the cruise until last week.

I want what is due me, but I'm really tired of fighting for it. I would appreciate hearing what others think about this. Thanks.

I booked a cruise today and used my Next Cruise plus my diamond balcony discount. The rep was very helpful and double checked for me to make sure. When he came back to the phone from checking, here is what he said: Because I made my next cruise booking during '08, it could be combined with the diamond discount. They applied the next cruise amount that I put down right away; it came directly off of the deposit amount I had to give today. After booking was finished, the rep transferred me to C&A and my diamond discount was immediately applied to the outstanding balance. As soon as we send in the next cruise certificates, the onboard credit for our 2 rooms will be opened. We were also able to use 2 future cruise certificates that RCI had given us this past year. :) The rep was super nice and more than helpful.

Bottom line is RCI told me today that a Next Cruise booked pre-'09 can be used with your C&A discounts. I know from experience! Hope this helps!!!

I called and spoke with customer service at RCI and said I'd heard Vicki Freed announced some changes with the NC and that it would now be allowed with ONE benefit.

The agent said I needed to talk with the Executive Offices. I was transferred and talked with Amber. (in the executive offices on Tuesday.) I told her my situation:

1. I am holding a NC cert bought last April.

2. I made a reservation through RCI on Feb 19 for a cruise leaving on April 12th.

3. The reservations agent said I should not use the NC cert on the cruise I booked because the balcony discount ($300) was greater value than the OBC would be from the NC ($200).

Amber's response: "Let me see what I can do"....long wait... "We've just received a memo about this and you would have had to book the cruise prior to 12/31." Then she said something that sounded strange: "I will have to honor what the other agents have already told you." I was so frustrated, I just said, "Thanks." and I hung up.

What the heck is going on??

My contention is that I MADE a booking just by purchasing the NC certificate last April. I just didn't pick out the cruise until last week.

I want what is due me, but I'm really tired of fighting for it. I would appreciate hearing what others think about this. Thanks.

I totally agree with you MavisMarie. When we bought our NC cert we were told that we would be able to combine our credits and there was NO EXPERATION DATE. When we tried to book our cruise we were told this is no longer true. I feel we were sold this certificate under false pretenses. We have cancelled 4 cruises with RCCL over this very thing. We are only asking for the benefits that we were promised when we bought the NC cert.

I booked a trip this month for April 2010. I used a NC that was purchased in April 08.

When I asked for the NC OBC and Diamond balcony discount I was told I only get one, so I took the $300 balcony over the $200 OBC.

When I look at my reservation on My Cruises, it shows booking/deposit date of April 3, 08...the day we purchased the NC.

It seems I should get both as the deposit date shown is well before Dec.31st.

I will call C&A shortly and report my call info later.

My problem is this - We booked a NC in September while onboard Mariner. Then we used it on a 4 night Navigator in February. We were denied the Shareholder benefit because we already had the OBC from NC booking. I would never have used the NC for a 4 night cruise and only got $50 OBC unless I felt that holding onto it was pretty much worthless. So basically I just wanted to get rid of it. I can always get the Diamond discount or the Shareholder credit. What are they going to do for those of us that lost out on the combinability in January & February?

My problem is this - We booked a NC in September while onboard Mariner. Then we used it on a 4 night Navigator in February. We were denied the Shareholder benefit because we already had the OBC from NC booking. I would never have used the NC for a 4 night cruise and only got $50 OBC unless I felt that holding onto it was pretty much worthless. So basically I just wanted to get rid of it. I can always get the Diamond discount or the Shareholder credit. What are they going to do for those of us that lost out on the combinability in January & February?

Hi Lynn,

CALL them!! I would explain it and not take no from the first person, or even the second person.

Times are tough, they don't want to lose you!

It seems fair to me what you are saying....maybe they can add the additional OBc you missed out on to our Alaska trip!

Its worth a try!

Ruth

Doesnt help me, I was planning on buying a next cruise certificate my next cruise in about a month to put a deposit on Oasis.

I sure hope they loosen this up. Now that my RCL shares are worth about zip, is the wrong time to sock it to us that we cannot get other OBC if we are stuck with these shares.

Ok here is my question ( i am new to a lot of this).. I am eligible for a platinum discount .. is there any beneift to booking my europe 2010 cruise while on the monarch in April or am i better doing it when the itineraries openup in March?? I am looking for 10+ nite if that makes a difference ..

I just got off the phone with C&A.

On 2/23 they revised the rule...any next cruise cert. PURCHASED prior to Dec. 31st is combineable with your balcony discount, next cruise OBC and shareholder.

The rule will stay in effect until all NC certs. purchased prior to dec. 31st have been turned in.

Great news. RCI has finally made the right decision on this. Maybe, if sales lag, they will go back to allowing both for future NC bookings. If not, then we Diamond members will never have a reason to buy NC again.

It has gotten to a point where there issn't much need to buy NC certs. at all. There are so many promos that offer OBC with bookings that most people can get some OBC anytime. JMO.

Here's another question, if I book for a specific sailing while on board (versus buying a NC certificate) can I combine the diamond discount with the OBC? If not then I think the future cruise desk may not be that busy anymore.

Here's another question, if I book for a specific sailing while on board (versus buying a NC certificate) can I combine the diamond discount with the OBC? If not then I think the future cruise desk may not be that busy anymore.

I don't think so. Dec. 31st was the date for that. Starting Jan. 1st you had to pick the balcony discount or the OBC for booking.

The revised rule on 2/23 was directly related to NC certs. purchased before Dec. 31st.

I would call and ask them to reinstate the NC OBC - I think the change was effective last week or this week, and I would hope they'd apply it retroactively.

Spoke with a C&A rep yesterday. She said they just received a memo yesterday (or maybe the day before) that said if the reservation was booked prior to 1/1/09, any reservation not in the penalty period could be transferred (using the original booking number) without losing any of the benefits. The word fairness and loyalty were mentioned. I agreed that many were "forced" to make a quick reservation without being able to plan appropriately and I was very glad RCl realized and reacted favorably to the unique situation created when they placed restrictions on previously assumed benefits. Think they made a great decision in tough times. Hope things improve to bring all the combos back again.

Kathryn

Thanks again ladies, C&A credited my account $200 for the balcony discount :D:D

###

Just off the phone with Crown & Anchor--here is our situation:

Purchased a next cruise certificate in October 2008. We made our reservation on January 22, 2009.

When talking the the C/A rep in January--he confirmed that the NC certificate could not be used with the platinum discount. He suggested that we save the NC certificate booking # for a later cruise--just in case we went with a oceanview or interior.

When speaking the the C/A rep today--since we are not using the NC certificate booking # for our May 2009 cruise..we would have to cancel our booking and make a new reservation with the original NC booking #.

However, this cruise is sold out of balcony rooms, and even with a guarantee balcony, the increase in the rates are significant.

Long story short---no way we can get the onboard next cruise credit on this sailing without cancelling our current reservation.

We can't change dates--this is to be our son's college graduation gift--and our first trip to Alaska.

Anyone else with this situation?

Just off the phone with Crown & Anchor--here is our situation:

Purchased a next cruise certificate in October 2008. We made our reservation on January 22, 2009.

When talking the the C/A rep in January--he confirmed that the NC certificate could not be used with the platinum discount. He suggested that we save the NC certificate booking # for a later cruise--just in case we went with a oceanview or interior.

When speaking the the C/A rep today--since we are not using the NC certificate booking # for our May 2009 cruise..we would have to cancel our booking and make a new reservation with the original NC booking #.

However, this cruise is sold out of balcony rooms, and even with a guarantee balcony, the increase in the rates are significant.

Long story short---no way we can get the onboard next cruise credit on this sailing without cancelling our current reservation.

We can't change dates--this is to be our son's college graduation gift--and our first trip to Alaska.

Anyone else with this situation?

That's my situation also. If I'd used the NC certificate , I'd be ok. But the RCI rep told me to save it since I wanted to use the balcony discount.

Archived