Royal Champions

Admin

Again the point I am making...CC's decision to participate as a go-between in contacting their posters for RCCL or any cruise line for that matter was a poor judgement call especially for the purpose discussed in this thread.

CC should have had the vision to see what repercussions could occur from that action. The question is were they in some way a victim used by RCCL also or well informed participants?

Just some thoughts.

Laura

RCCL had to go through CC, because our identities and email addresses are confidential. CC is all for marketing and advertising.

I see no victims here.

OK, I'll bite.....what revisionist history?

But, no fair thinking that just because I have been with this cruise line for (busily counting on her fingers)......36 years, and I LOOOOOOVE to cruise, and I am a naturally enthusiastic and helpful (replace with obsessive problem solver; there's actually psychological syndrome named for this) person, that any and all of MY history wasn't just purely the ideas knocking around in my little pea brain.

Well for starters, I heard today that the original RCer's were not picked because of there "favorable post" towards RCCL and that no compensation or gifts were offered. I heard that they did not know that a marketing company was involved.

However, years ago it was pointed out by may RC'ers that they knew they were picked because of thier posting habits and that they fully understood they were part of a new marketing strategy. I do conider a free 2-day cruise with free drinks as compensation for accepting the RC banner.

Over all though I must abmit that I read many of the RC'ers post before they became a RC as well as after and I never noticed any change in the majority of their posting habits. SO I don't believe the majority of the RC opinions have not changed over the years do to the status.

Although today has been a big mess IMO.

I never saw that, and I never, ever try to influence others to sail on RCCL who are not interested. Wow!! That's really reaching far beyond MY understanding of what this is all about.

Did you participate in a thread here that others have referenced and that Laura allegedly joined at the inception of this, when RC's were wondering what it was all about ( I have asked the person bringing this up to link it)? There is a post further back wherein Laura says she believes the RC's knew about this being a marketing program and says she believed most had met with the marketing person from RCI, personally. Then a RC'er speaks for herself only and says she never met personally with anyone. I am beginning to wonder what exactly was told to whom.

Anyone that has been to a repeaters party or any other event put on by RCI has been exposed to the same influences.

Absolutely- but the aim is to get people to cruise again. The aim of the RC program was to encourage people to post on what was presented as a non-affiliated board. Therein lies the difference- and a big one I think.

RCCL had to go through CC, because our identities and email addresses are confidential. CC is all for marketing and advertising.

I see no victims here.

I understand that and even posted that contacting anyone would have been impossible without CC's interventions, however how knowlegable were CC when they initially became involved with this?

Has this process been ongoing between CC and RCCL even now?

Laura

This is a serious question- what did those of you who are RCers imagine that you were contacted for? Many of you say you had no idea what it was about. RCCL HAD to have said something- otherwise why would you have sent them your information?

Please don't say "I don't know." I get emails every day from people and groups asking for my information- if I don't have some pretty good idea of why the sender would need or want it- I wouldn't give it a moments notice.

Thanks, Peter -- that was really kind of brave of you. I respectfully disagree with your point of view as you took exception to one point -- that they were charging for steak -- instead of Potter being specific as to the cut they were charging for, or that it was a trial program on some ships. It is kind of funny that she was aware of the champions back then.

I have yet to see anything that would cause me to question her reporting. It seems to me she is very good at referencing her sources, and that is what I look for. About the only little thing I found was the use of one "loaded" word describing how avid RCCL cruisers, RC's were.

There were studies done years ago that showed different colors in the workplace increased production. Then they tried lighting and found the same results. They eventualy realized that just because someone was paying attention to the workers was the real reason production increased.

This ''''program" seems based on essentially the same premise.

Anyone that has been to a repeaters party or any other event put on by RCI has been exposed to the same influences.

It's been interesting and I will continue to enjoy participating.

Absolutely!!!!! One of the reasons we cruise so much on RCL is that they always, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly enticed us back. Now that we are Diamond the perks are nice and we like the balcony discount and the CL. That is one of the reasons I thought that when RCL stopped letting folks combine stockholder Obc and C & A discounts they were going about it all wrong. That it would actually get peoples goat and in the end wouldn't be a cost cutting measure at all but actually could cost them loyalty (future business).

Hey, if someone from RCL e-mailed me or called me up and said, "Colleen, want to go on the Oasis pre-inaugural cruise?", if I could fit it into our schedule I would be there in a nano second. (I have the Oasis booked for 2010.)

I, and I don't think most people, begrudge the RC's for taking any perks that may be offered to them in the future or that was offered to them in the past. My problem was the revelation that RCL was doing this with the assistance of CC and that CC (and here is when my post gets deleted) was deleting any and all posts regarding this subject.

I do not support any personal attack comments made against any individuals.

Colleen

Did you participate in a thread here that others have referenced and that Laura allegedly joined at the inception of this, when RC's were wondering what it was all about ( I have asked the person bringing this up to link it)? There is a post further back wherein Laura says she believes the RC's knew about this being a marketing program and says she believed most had met with the marketing person from RCI, personally. Then a RC'er speaks for herself only and says she never met personally with anyone. I am beginning to wonder what exactly was told to whom.

I don't have the original email from Laura, but my conclusion was I would be participating in opinion polls (which I haven't), and special "events" (which I haven't, either, as explained above). I likened it to a marketing focus group, a la secret shopper or blind tasting.

My husband is amused that anyone would think I am slanted in favor of RCCL. He just reminded me that we were in the group of people that were ABANDONED by RCCL after our 10/05 Brilliance cruise. They were lucky to keep us after that fiasco.

There were studies done years ago that showed different colors in the workplace increased production. Then they tried lighting and found the same results. They eventualy realized that just because someone was paying attention to the workers was the real reason production increased.

This ''''program" seems based on essentially the same premise.

It's been interesting and I will continue to enjoy participating.

It was lighting in the original Elton Mayo Hawthorne Works studies and then moved on to other stimuli.

Actually, I think the sequence of events was RCCL monitoring the boards, asking Laura to contact people, she does and requests permission to give them our name and email addy, they contact us for whatever. For me it was Rachel Hancock's one night invite on the Mariner; docked overnight with dinner. We had to cancel because my hubby had surgery and was still in the hospital.

Oh, sorry abut your husband. I hope he is doing well. My husband and I have the Mariner booked (just the two of us!!! No kids!!!) in May to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Hope you get to sail the Mariner soon.

Colleen

We attended a reception on the Liberty. Richard Fain, Adam Goldstein and Alice Norsworthy were there. I believe Alice was in charge of the loyalty program. I might be wrong, but that's how much I paid attention. Nobody told me there was an out agency involved. Until all this started, I thought RCI's own marketing division had done the selection. I didn't talk to anyone except to say hello. Nobody ever told me it was an ongoing "program". I think we were all surprised when we got invited to New York. Nobody's told me how or what to post.

Just to add a little levity to the proceedings, if RCI invites us to many more "free" events, we might have to file bankruptcy/

Actually, that is not true at all. Not that this really means much but RCI has ALL the info on anyone who has registered for a meet and mingle, as you must put your CC screen name on the registration along with your reservation info. A solid link to all the info. they would require. I am however, assuming that anyone who was asked to be an RC has registered for a meet and mingle.

Again the point I am making...CC's decision to participate as a go-between in contacting their posters for RCCL or any cruise line for that matter was a poor judgement call especially for the purpose discussed in this thread.

CC should have had the vision to see what repercussions could occur from that action. The question is were they in some way a victim used by RCCL also or well informed participants?

Just some thoughts.

Laura

You make a point that I have been contemplating, also. Laura's statement that she thought the RC's were aware that this was a marketing ploy (that is my word) and that MOST had met with the marketing lady, Hancock, I believe, rather speaks to that question, don't you think?

Totally aside, I wanted to refresh my memory regarding a few of the RC's here by going to the mega fuel surcharge thread. At least 2 of the RC's were with us on that fight, saying something about their objectivity, IMO -- but I had the vague recollection that some others were pretty ugly. Well, I had forgotten that the 4,000 post thread had been deleted before we were finally able to declare victory -- DELETED. Locking a thread is one thing -- it stays in the archives. Some of the more tangentially related threads that still exist, did, however, adequately refresh my memory for a couple of the RC's I thought I remembered from that time. What popped into my thoughts was that this PR program was started just before the announcement of the fuel charge debacle and the ensuing fight, if I have my dates correct -- was that a coincidence?

Laura and Cecelia...THANKS for this thread and the clarification...As I have previously posted, I think the whole concept in ingenious! That said, I'll continue on my merry way posting, asking and giving advice and opinions! For me, subject closed!

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. Wow, what will they think of next. Maybe subliminal messages on the boards of say the names of RC ships where you ask yourself "Did I just see Oasis of the Seas flash before my eyes?" Or in a real low rumble the Zest for Life song if you have your speakers on where you ask yourself "Did I just hear the RC song?" What else can RC do with all the cutbacks, the decline in Customer Service and the perks being taken away for the Shareholders and the Loyal Customers. Desperate times take desperate measures. All you can do is email RC and CC about how you dislike the Royal Champion Program.

Actually, that is not true at all. RCI has ALL the info on anyone who has registered for a meet and mingle, as you must put your screen name on the registration along with your reservation info. A solid link to all the info. they would require. I am however, assuming that anyone who was asked to be an RC has registered for a meet and mingle.

Ahhhh...that is where RCL gets our screen names! Didn't think of that but yes you must give it to register for the M & M. I had been a little bothered because people on CC, (not necessarily the RCL Boards) were talking about how when they were on board and met an officer or other employee, the employee mentioned so you are.......(screen name here). And they were a little taken aback that that employee knew them by their screen name after hearing their given name. I was concerned here as it seemed to be a bit too "Big Brother" to me.

So the M & M is probably a marketing tool to get our screen names and follow our posts...ha ha ha what next???? These guys are brilliant. Nothing surprises me anymore. But sure have met some nice folks on the Meet and Mingle threads.

I guess in the long run it is all marketing all the time, M & M's, Loyalty programs, Cruise Critic, RC's, etc., etc., etc.

Actually, that is not true at all. Not that this really means much but RCI has ALL the info on anyone who has registered for a meet and mingle, as you must put your CC screen name on the registration along with your reservation info. A solid link to all the info. they would require. I am however, assuming that anyone who was asked to be an RC has registered for a meet and mingle.

If you were going to contact a group of people by email, would you rely on nformation collected over a period of time during which they might have moved and/or changed their email address? Even if they signed up for a M&M within the last couple months, that could be true.

I doubt it. You would go to someone you knew to have the current email addresses of everyone you wanted to contact.

What say you?

I’ve been on CC for a year, maybe two. From the very beginning I noticed the many unusual acronyms and nicknames used here. When I first saw the Royal Champion designation in the signatures, I asked them what it meant. Some of the very harsh critics in this thread have been on CC much longer than me. Why didn’t you ever ask what it was? I can’t be the only person who asked.

I don’t understand why there is so much animosity toward them. The RCs have always been very upfront. Not only are they seasoned cruisers, but they’ve been on the boards for awhile and I find them very knowledgeable. I think many are missing the point that these posters were “Royal Champions” long before anyone at RCI thought of the marketing campaign. It has been explained over and over in this tread how it came about.

There are cheerleaders on these boards; in fact every sub forum has them. Most of the RCs aren’t very good cheerleaders, Many have been highly critical and vocal about some of RCI’s decisions, such as the Chops Steak in the MDR, the new ad campaign, the Oasis of the Seas, the reserved seating by the pool, etc. And many are not “loyal” to RCI, they sail all the lines.

I find nastiness on message boards prevalent throughout the Internet. People will attack in this type of forum, but they would never confront someone in person or sign the attack with their name. There are many posters in this thread and in the previous ones who I have never seen before. I also find it odd when you have no RCI cruises listed in your signature line, yet you feel you have been maligned by the Royal Champions.

I’ve learned a lot on CC and generally enjoy reading it. I read every post with a critical eye- I look at who wrote it, how many posts they have, their CC tenure, where they are from, their affinity status. I don’t have any problem with Royal Champions or the program. I’m amazed that some people are so jealous over this “status.” I am also very sorry that the RCs have been attacked on here.

I don't have the original email from Laura, but my conclusion was I would be participating in opinion polls (which I haven't), and special "events" (which I haven't, either, as explained above). I likened it to a marketing focus group, a la secret shopper or blind tasting.

My husband is amused that anyone would think I am slanted in favor of RCCL. He just reminded me that we were in the group of people that were ABANDONED by RCCL after our 10/05 Brilliance cruise. They were lucky to keep us after that fiasco.

thanks. The reason I asked about the thread that supposedly existed wherein this was all discussed by prospective RC's was that I was trying to determine how evident that thread was to cc'ers -- evidently not too evident, even to prospective RC's, but then, I understand there were two waves of selections. Were you in the first wave or the second, may I ask? ShirleyPM, for instance, speaks of only recently being invited, I believe.

Let me reiterate what others have said -- the focus is not to impugn the character of any RC's, rather, there is a concern about an appearance of impropriety by a board that purports to be non-affiliated that we are trying to examine.

Oh, sorry abut your husband. I hope he is doing well. My husband and I have the Mariner booked (just the two of us!!! No kids!!!) in May to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Hope you get to sail the Mariner soon.

Colleen

Oh you gals! I'm so sorry to hear about Rick, Peggy. I hope everything is OK. Congrats on getting an invite to the one night. We're just jealous. :D:):D

And congratulations Colleen & Doug on 25 years of marriage. I hope we get to sail on Mariner soon too. But I don't know when it will be, we already have 3 weeks of vacations booked this year...it's that work interfering with vacation thing again. Have a great cruise!

And one of these years Peggy!

Fondest,

Patti :)

If you were going to contact a group of people by email, would you rely on nformation collected over a period of time during which they might have moved and/or changed their email address? Even if they signed up for a M&M within the last couple months, that could be true.

I doubt it. You would go to someone you knew to have the current email addresses of everyone you wanted to contact.

What say you?

Well, when I sign up for stuff, like message boards, registration to news sites, etc, including CC, I have a junk email account I use. Then all the garbage they send out (or if they happen to sell email addys) goes directly to the junk address. I just go in once in a while to purge it.

On the other hand, for more 'legitimate' businesses, such as RCI, where I expect emails back that I want to see, I use a 'good' email addy, that I do actually check. But thats just me.

I guess what I am tryng to say, is that for fairly frequent cruisers, and longtime CC members, email addys used in the meet and mingle would likely be more valid and current then one used to sign up for a message board, possibly years ago. I duuno, maybe you'd end up with similar results using either.

Archived