Pet Peeve - "I've never . . . but"

niborHS

Am I the only one who gets bothered by this? Someone will post a question, like "I am thinking of trying HAL, but have previously traveled on Celebrity . . .", and there is invariably someone who will say, "well, I have never been on HAL, but" or "I have never been on Celebrity, but". What is the point of that. If someone wants a comparison, I assume they want a comparison from someone who has experienced both.

We are all different everyone asks different questions, do you ever think there maybe lonely people out there just wanting to have a chat. " Who cares " attitude is now the norm which is very very sad.

OK, thanks for all the laughs. The one who said "I've never been on the Ryndam. . ." I don't consider that the same because basically all Vista class ships are similar enough that you can say that, but if you haven't been on a line, how can you comment. As far as lonely people needing a place to chat, there are tons of threads that people can chat on based on their experiences.

yes never understood this?

more pet peeves are

Questions like

"Convince me To Sail XYZ" who cares? I'm not a travel agent working on commisssion,besides I already have two jobs as it is.

another one is

"Will Little Jimmy Be Bored On A Cruise"? Once again who cares?

Your attitude is now more and more common, if we cared a little bit more about one another I am sure the world would be a much happier place.

:(:(:(:(:(

We are all different everyone asks different questions, do you ever think there maybe lonely people out there just wanting to have a chat. " Who cares " attitude is now the norm which is very very sad.

I think you are on to something. For some lonely people, an internet/forum connection is their social life:( I think about some of my conversations that I have on the phone with friends and family and often the topics covered are sort of silly....but we understand that we are still "connecting" sociallyicon7.gif

I do think the minute things that get people up in arms also peeve me a little bit. The whole tray thing is a great example. I work in a poor neighborhood and teach kids who, many nights, go without food. They don't even know what a cruise is. I guess what I am saying is that we shouldn't take it for granted that we are so blessed to be able to go on these awesome trips and we shouldn't get upset about no trays or the yum yum man's (whoever that is!) buttons or e-docs or whatever. We should just be grateful of the opportunities that our jobs give us to go on a trip.

Am I the only one who gets bothered by this? Someone will post a question, like "I am thinking of trying HAL, but have previously traveled on Celebrity . . .", and there is invariably someone who will say, "well, I have never been on HAL, but" or "I have never been on Celebrity, but". What is the point of that. If someone wants a comparison, I assume they want a comparison from someone who has experienced both.

I think a reply from someone who has only sailed one of the lines can be helpful. If I've never sailed a particular line, but the OP has, and I can fill in information about a line I do sail, it expands his base of knowledge. He has some info now on which to base his own comparison.

If two people have each sailed on one (different from each other) line, then info from the two can be used in making a comparison.

Restricting replies only serves to limit info at a time when info needs to be expanded.

I do think the minute things that get people up in arms also peeve me a little bit. The whole tray thing is a great example. I work in a poor neighborhood and teach kids who, many nights, go without food. They don't even know what a cruise is. I guess what I am saying is that we shouldn't take it for granted that we are so blessed to be able to go on these awesome trips and we shouldn't get upset about no trays or the yum yum man's (whoever that is!) buttons or e-docs or whatever. We should just be grateful of the opportunities that our jobs give us to go on a trip.

Amen!

Diane

Thanks, lovebug! I so agree with you. I have a unique way of dealing with the few things that irk me (including the recent overplay of the trays in the Lido quandry) in posts ... I don't read them. I have enough things in life that raise my blood pressure, I can't let posts, that probably don't even affect me, be one of them. Plus, some of them are so ridiculous that they're funny.

How many posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb".

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb forum.

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

5 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that George W. isn't the brightest bulb.

4 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

1 moderator to lock the light bulb thread.

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

Which one are you?

I find it weird when people ask to see menus six months or more before their cruise.

I have actually needed to know the nightly menus in advance so that I wouldn't book the Pinnacle on a night when they had one of my favorites in the DR. :cool:

Thanks for the laughs. But remember, we were all first time cruisers at one point. And mine was before the Internet and CC were around to help out.

AND, some HAL regulars are still trying to get Hieroglyphics to work on the inter-compu-net-thinggy ;)

Then again, we have a freind that orders the same thing in the dining room just about every night: caesar salad, strip steak and ice cream. Then in the Pinnacle Grill he wanted to order the chicken breast. I went a little nuts. :)

C'mon Peter, give us a CLUE :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think a reply from someone who has only sailed one of the lines can be helpful. If I've never sailed a particular line, but the OP has, and I can fill in information about a line I do sail, it expands his base of knowledge. He has some info now on which to base his own comparison.

If two people have each sailed on one (different from each other) line, then info from the two can be used in making a comparison.

Restricting replies only serves to limit info at a time when info needs to be expanded.

Ruth,

You do write so well. and quite succinctly I might add ! :cool:

r.

How many posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb".

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb forum.

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

5 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that George W. isn't the brightest bulb.

4 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

1 moderator to lock the light bulb thread.

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

Which one are you?

Most INSIGHTFUL and unfortunately all too accurate ! :p

But, how, oh how could you leave out:

2 to post back and forth 28 times with INANE photos and OT comments that praise each other for their wittiness, hijacking the thread for their own (boring) chat room, when the only true objective is to up their mutual postings count ! :mad: (Whew, I did that all in one sentence)

BTW, what a deLIGHTful post ;)

How many posters does it take to change a light bulb? [quote]

I believe that you forgot:

18 posts to thank the OP for their wonderful news,

and

3 posts to state that they did not know that

Aslo left out:

3 posters trying to figure out of they know each other because they all live near the same town in Canada, or has a cousin that used to live there.

10 posters who beg their pardon for going off topic but want to know if Total Wine will deliver to the ship in Ft. Lauderdale.

2 posters that want to know if the port or starboard light bulbs are brighter.

5 posters that want to know if the light bulbs are 110 or 220V light bulbs.

1 poster that wants to bring their own light bulbs because they prefer it over all other bulbs. Also, how many lightbulbs are needed for a cabin (and balcony)

Not harsh at all....come over, put a head set on , answer a couple calls and you will see. *LOL*

I am not the one that got the McDonalds call , but I am the one that got the imfamous call

"I need an ambulance , my girlfriend is bleeding real bad, from her, ya know down there , her "VIRGINIA" (On my childrens lives I am not making this up)

I asked if the bleeding was coming more from around Roanoke or Norfolk

OMG!!! I laughed til I cried on this one. Thanks!!! :D

I still have to laugh at the question a few years ago regarding the tv...The question was concerning hbo, and does the ship get cable or satellite???
That's a new twist on the old "Does the ship make all its own electricity?" :)

2 to post back and forth 28 times with INANE photos...
I was going to post that exact thing.

I've found the 'ignore' feature to be wonderful for those who only 'peeve' me and don't add anything worthwhile about cruising. I'm enjoying the CC more now, you may too.

I was going to post that exact thing.

I've found the 'ignore' feature to be wonderful for those who only 'peeve' me and don't add anything worthwhile about cruising. I'm enjoying the CC more now, you may too.

Where's the ignore feature? Thanks

Archived