Pet Peeve - "I've never . . . but"

niborHS

Am I the only one who gets bothered by this? Someone will post a question, like "I am thinking of trying HAL, but have previously traveled on Celebrity . . .", and there is invariably someone who will say, "well, I have never been on HAL, but" or "I have never been on Celebrity, but". What is the point of that. If someone wants a comparison, I assume they want a comparison from someone who has experienced both.

Am I the only one who gets bothered by this? Someone will post a question, like "I am thinking of trying HAL, but have previously traveled on Celebrity . . .", and there is invariably someone who will say, "well, I have never been on HAL, but" or "I have never been on Celebrity, but". What is the point of that. If someone wants a comparison, I assume they want a comparison from someone who has experienced both.

yes never understood this?

more pet peeves are

Questions like

"Convince me To Sail XYZ" who cares? I'm not a travel agent working on commisssion,besides I already have two jobs as it is.

another one is

"Will Little Jimmy Be Bored On A Cruise"? Once again who cares?

more pet peeves are

Questions like

"Convince me To Sail XYZ" who cares? I'm not a travel agent working on commisssion,besides I already have two jobs as it is.

another one is

lol! (yeah, who cares?) :D

I've noticed these posts, but they don't bother me. But yeah, since I've noticed, I guess they must bother me a little bit?

... and there is invariably someone who will say, "well, I have never been on HAL, but" or "I have never been on Celebrity, but". What is the point of that. If someone wants a comparison, I assume they want a comparison from someone who has experienced both.
I agree with the examples you cite ... BUT - sometimes the question can be answered by related experience. For example: "I have never been on the Ryndam, but ... {I have been on two S class ships, and based on that experience I can say} ..."

You are not the only one that feels this way.

However, after a time lurking on these boards, you get to know pretty much who is going to add that sort comment, so you can skip reading those people's posts.

My other "favorite" is "I cannot comment, because we always stay in a suite"..not only a similar time waster, but needlessly elitist, IMHO.

more pet peeves are

Questions like

another one is

I agree - inane questions...

...like "Which way does the bed face in cabin 69724 1/2?" (Up, hopefully)

..."Who will the backup accordion player for my next cruise aboard Flotsendam sometime next year?" (I think it's Whatsisname...)

..."What's the best side of the ship to be on?" (The inside - 'cause if you're outside, you're gonna get wet.)

..."Will anyone else be able to see me or hear me on my balcony?" (Just what were you planning on doing out there???)

..."What will they be serving for dinner on the 23rd night of our 7 day cruise?" (I'll bet there will be a menu somewhere...)

..."What are the chances I'll get an upgrade?" (What are the chances you'll pay for that upgrade?)

..."What will I see from my verandah?" (Sky above water - but if it's the other way around, there's a serious problem...)

..."Will I be able to see the ocean from my Obstructed View Stateroom?" (Yes, but it will be behind whatever you don't want to look at.)

..."Where should I get a room where I won't feel the ship moving?" (Try Las Vegas)

..."How many lobsters can I get?" (Before or After they're declared an endangered species?)

:cool:

I agree - inane questions...

...like "Which way does the bed face in cabin 69724 1/2?" (Up, hopefully)

..."Who will the backup accordion player for my next cruise aboard Flotsendam sometime next year?" (I think it's Whatsisname...)

..."What's the best side of the ship to be on?" (The inside - 'cause if you're outside, you're gonna get wet.)

..."Will anyone else be able to see me or hear me on my balcony?" (Just what were you planning on doing out there???)

..."What will they be serving for dinner on the 23rd night of our 7 day cruise?" (I'll bet there will be a menu somewhere...)

..."What are the chances I'll get an upgrade?" (What are the chances you'll pay for that upgrade?)

..."What will I see from my verandah?" (Sky above water - but if it's the other way around, there's a serious problem...)

..."Will I be able to see the ocean from my Obstructed View Stateroom?" (Yes, but it will be behind whatever you don't want to look at.)

..."Where should I get a room where I won't feel the ship moving?" (Try Las Vegas)

..."How many lobsters can I get?" (Before or After they're declared an endangered species?)

:cool:

That was a gem,you nailed it. Thanks for the belly laugh.

Questions like that don't even faze me anymore.

i have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 25 years. if you think every call we get is a life and death energency you are sadly mistaken.

most of our time is spent hand holding and butt wiping some of the most inane people God has put on this earth.

How the get up in the morning every day, wash, dress and feed themselves and manage to cross the street without getting run over is a mystery to me.

And it seems like the stupidest ones breed the most.

The ones that are my pet peeves are:

-- What will the weather be like on my T/A a year from now (substitute Caribbean in October if you want)?

And idiots answer that theirs was smooth sailing so there shouldn't be any problem.

-- I get motion sick and I've booked a balcony cabin on the highest cabin deck but it's mid-ship; will I feel any motion?

-- My ship missed a port due to weather but the weather didn't look that bad; the Captain was a wimp and didn't want to anchor so the cruiseline could make more money by keeping people onboard.

(Yes, I've really seen posts similar to that.)

Questions like that don't even faze me anymore.

i have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 25 years. if you think every call we get is a life and death energency you are sadly mistaken.

most of our time is spent hand holding and butt wiping some of the most inane people God has put on this earth.

How the get up in the morning every day, wash, dress and feed themselves and manage to cross the street without getting run over is a mystery to me.

And it seems like the stupidest ones breed the most.

Whoa . . . that was rather harsh . . . or, were you the one that got the 911 call because McDonald's ran out of chicken nuggets?

Once in awhile someone will write something very interesting (not me) It soon gets buried in the posts never to be seen again?

Yet someone will start a post

"Has Anybody Noticed, The Buttons On The Yum Yum Mans Jacket Are Getting Smaller"?

This will shatter all records for postings and then somebody whose got an extra dose of Inaneous (I made that word up) will then make a poll for this stupid question

Whoa . . . that was rather harsh . . . or, were you the one that got the 911 call because McDonald's ran out of chicken nuggets?

Not harsh at all....come over, put a head set on , answer a couple calls and you will see. *LOL*

I am not the one that got the McDonalds call , but I am the one that got the imfamous call

"I need an ambulance , my girlfriend is bleeding real bad, from her, ya know down there , her "VIRGINIA" (On my childrens lives I am not making this up)

I asked if the bleeding was coming more from around Roanoke or Norfolk

Thanks for the laughs. But remember, we were all first time cruisers at one point. And mine was before the Internet and CC were around to help out.

Amazing how well a little common sense got us through.;)

Anyone who has seen a large lake or ocean has seen waves, why ask if the ship moves?:confused:

I find it weird when people ask to see menus six months or more before their cruise. Like they will pick another cruise if they see something they don't like on the menu?

I was just thinking about posting about that and not even with a 6 month window. :)

I like to go to a restaurant and fine out what they will offer for dinner, hoping there is some surprise or something I would never have thought of putting together in a dish. Or to a bar and find out what beers they have on tap. and try something different.

Then again, we have a freind that orders the same thing in teh dining rooom just about every nitgh: ceaser sald, strip steak and ice cream. Then in the Pinnacle Grill he wanted to order the chicken breast. I went a little nuts :)

I cannot understand wanting to know everything single thing waiting for me on the ship: what's for dinner, what is on the wine list, what side the ship will dock in Grand Turk or if the piano player will wear a blue jaclet and sing 'Piano Man' as the first or last song.

Our dog really would love to go cruising with us, but I'm not sure if they'll reserve the lounge for us so he can play fetch an hour a day.

Will the captain let us use the promenade deck instead? And how much sod should we bring for his potty or can we just use the piano bar instead (since it smells so bad in there anyway)???

Archived