Oceania air???

Veronica13

I've NEVER done cruise air. They always want to put me on horrible flights with connections. So I called to get the price to opt out of the air. The price is comparable to what I would pay on Travelocity.

I've got one big problem. I can get a non-stop to Venice no problem. Getting back from Athens, there is nothing available on disembarkaton day, and no, I don't want to spend the night alone in Athens.

Oceania Europe Cruisers -

What has your air experience been like with Oceania? Can I look forward to spending 20+ hours in airports or do they attempt to get the most direct flights?

Honestly, this is a deal breaker for me...I despise flying and airports. And since they won't give me flight into until after final payment, I can only rely on what past experience EXPERIENCED OCEANIA people have had.

Thank you for any replies!

Veronica-

Because Oceania is a smaller cruise line with smaller ships, it does seem (to us) that their air arrangements are made with a little more thought and consideration for the passenger. This is probably a function of their employees booking hundreds of flights per week, rather than thousands.

That being said, they'll be working with the same pool of flights as you are.

If you can't find a flight that would make you happy, chances are that they won't either.

If you find a flight connection that is acceptable to you, price it out on the internet.

Oceania will book any flights that you suggest, if you are willing to pay a $75 "Air deviation" fee.

The glitch is that IF your chosen flights are more expensive that the route that O would have given you, you may be asked to pay the difference in the fare.

At the point where the real cost to you is established, you can still cancel your air plans with Oceania, (you wont be charged anything), and use the air credit to buy your tickets independantly.

FYI: Flying to the United States from Athens almost always involves connections, because American Airlines (the major US carrier by far) does not fly there. Delta and Olympic are usually your only direct flight choices.

Thank you for that info!!:)

But I wasn't clear enough - there are NO FLIGHTS whatsoever from Athens to Philadelphia after 9am. None. There are 3 available before 9am (which I obviously can't make in time), with connections. Nothing will get me back to Philly on disembarkation day.

So, if we're pulling the same flights, are there isn't anything to get me home that day, do they put me up in a hotel?:confused:

Again, thank you for letting me know I can request the non-stop for arrival in Venice.

Interesting, I've booked a flight from Athens to Springfield, MO(small market) with 1 stop in Atlanta. We leave at 12:35p and get home around 9:30P(about 17 hours)

Perhaps it's the day you're trying to go but have you tried Delta with a stop in Atlanta.

Surely if I can get to my little burg you could get to a major market like Philly.

We dock at 4AM. But as you know, we have to wait to clear customs and I'm not sure how far away the Athens airport is. I paid for the transfer.

Trying to get home Thursday, Oct 29th. I am looking for round trip air...not one way. I'm shocked I can't pull up anything from two major cities as well. But again, I am pulling it up as the second leg of a round trip air. When I pull it up as just a one way trip, there are tons of 20+ hour options. Heck, I would see more of the world on some of those flights, than this cruise.

We dock at 4AM. But as you know, we have to wait to clear customs and I'm not sure how far away the Athens airport is.

Trying to get home Thursday, Oct 29th. I am looking for round trip air...not one way.

Some options

You might have to give up the non stop to VCE on USair & do Delta

The only problem is they connect at CDG

If you fly in a day early to VCE it might be ok but I would not chance it on the day of the cruise through CDG

In September, after our Istanbul to Athens cruise, we flew USAir directly to Philadelphia (where we switched for a flight to Cincinnati) on Flight 759, which left Athens at 11:30 AM, arriving in Philadelphia at 3:45 PM.

Thank you for that info!!:)

But I wasn't clear enough - there are NO FLIGHTS whatsoever from Athens to Philadelphia after 9am. None. There are 3 available before 9am (which I obviously can't make in time), with connections. Nothing will get me back to Philly on disembarkation day.

So, if we're pulling the same flights, are there isn't anything to get me home that day, do they put me up in a hotel?:confused:

Again, thank you for letting me know I can request the non-stop for arrival in Venice.

I think I read in one of Oceania's brochures that if you book air with them that would require an overnight stay in a hotel, it is at the guest's expense.

Jo-Ann

You don't have to wait for final payment. You should be able to request a deviation proposal from Oceania right now for October. Have your Travel Agent make the request; give him your ideal parameters. They will come back with their proposed flights and the total cost. The cost will be determined by starting with a $75 administrative fee and adding any additional upcharge from the cost they calculate.

There is no downside to making the request; if you don't like their proposal, you do not accept it and there is no charge. If you accept it, they will charge the upcharge fees immediately. On one cruise we paid only the $75 per person, on another we paid $75 plus $225 per person, but it was well worth it, because they put us on the best available flights. You will have confirmation immediately, and can choose your seats, for example.

We are on the same sailing as you. We are returning on Delta 133, leaving Athens at 9:35 am. This flight goes to Kennedy, landing at 2:30 pm. This information might help in your planning.

Yes. I found out on this board, that one can request air deviation up to 270 days prior to the cruise. I did that last week for a cruise I am taking in November.

I was able to get flights on the days that I wanted and paid the $75 deviation now and agreed to pay $100 fee for the increase in airfare at the time of final payment. This allows me now to shop around now for a nice hotel at the end points (Barcelona and Rio) or allows me to book something on air points.

One thing to add...I'm also booked on another Oceania cruise in March. From Vancouver, my TA advised that Oceania will put us on a red-eye to get to Miami for the next day with the free air. She wanted me to book with Azamara, because she says that they will have me in Miami a day early and pay for the hotel overnight. I think when one books for the free air, one gets what one gets...subject to paying the $75 for deviation ;-). I insisted on booking with Oceania though as the TA did admit that their service and offerings were a 'notch above'...good luck.

We are on the same sailing as you. We are returning on Delta 133, leaving Athens at 9:35 am. This flight goes to Kennedy, landing at 2:30 pm. This information might help in your planning.

REALLY? Aren't you worried about getting to the airport by 7:30am??

Thank you all for all your replies...looks like another call to Oceania is in order to put in the request for the non-stop and ask about getting home. The non-stop is far more important to me ARRIVING (lost luggage) than getting home. However, under no circumstances, can I deal with spending a full day in airports transferring around the globe.

Thanks again for all the help!!:)

Oceania has some amazing freebies with their Australia/New Zealand cruises for 2010 but now that I am checking out others I realize that Rhadsody of the Seas and Celebrity are quite a lot cheaper. Is it that big a difference in serviced/food and overall ambience?? I have been on Celebrity Constellation twice and loved it but not Royal Caribbean. Most of these good prices are only good up until March 31 so would appreicate a quick response.

Trying to get home Thursday, Oct 29th. I am looking for round trip air...not one way. I'm shocked I can't pull up anything from two major cities as well. But again, I am pulling it up as the second leg of a round trip air. When I pull it up as just a one way trip, there are tons of 20+ hour options. Heck, I would see more of the world on some of those flights, than this cruise.

Veronica,

I ran into that same problem when trying to book my air from Athens to Atlanta, for my return home. I was looking at Delta.com flights, and it was weird, because when I tried another option (adding a third segment for a side trip post-cruise), suddenly there were additional flights showing up for the outbound at the start of my cruise! These new flights were much more convenient and quick (cutting outbound travel time from 38 hours:eek: to 18 hours). These better flights did not appear otherwise. I called Delta, twice, and the agent I worked with said it must be a system glitch. I use Delta more than any other airline, almost always book online with convoluted itineraries.

Anyway, I ended up booking with a different carrier. If you are experiencing this problem, you can solve it by physically going to a travel agent's office, who can book the specific flights you want.

Or...you can check into a short flight from Athens on EasyJet or some other low-cost European carrier to another major city, then get a flight from there to your home airport.

Hope this helps...

Oceania has some amazing freebies with their Australia/New Zealand cruises for 2010 but now that I am checking out others I realize that Rhadsody of the Seas and Celebrity are quite a lot cheaper. Is it that big a difference in serviced/food and overall ambience?? I have been on Celebrity Constellation twice and loved it but not Royal Caribbean. Most of these good prices are only good up until March 31 so would appreicate a quick response.

YES THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE. RCCL is really bad, Celeb better, but no Oceania. If you haven't sailed Constellation since last year, read the Celeb boards. It's not the same experience. At all.

Book only Celeb for transportation and meals and expect nothing special on board and you'll be fine. Book Oceania for a quality cruise experience. Book RCCL if you have no regard whatsoever for the quality of the cruise.

Veronica,

I ran into that same problem when trying to book my air from Athens to Atlanta, for my return home. I was looking at Delta.com flights, and it was weird, because when I tried another option (adding a third segment for a side trip post-cruise), suddenly there were additional flights showing up for the outbound at the start of my cruise! These new flights were much more convenient and quick (cutting outbound travel time from 38 hours:eek: to 18 hours). These better flights did not appear otherwise. I called Delta, twice, and the agent I worked with said it must be a system glitch. I use Delta more than any other airline, almost always book online with convoluted itineraries.

Anyway, I ended up booking with a different carrier. If you are experiencing this problem, you can solve it by physically going to a travel agent's office, who can book the specific flights you want.

Or...you can check into a short flight from Athens on EasyJet or some other low-cost European carrier to another major city, then get a flight from there to your home airport.

Hope this helps...

Thank you. Still have to call Oceania, I have plenty of time. But I wouldn't travel 38 hours to see the second coming of Christ!:p let alone get back from a cruise. The worst in all my years of traveling was about 20 hours of non-stop flying, ferries and connections trying to get a last minute arrangment to Victoria. Swore never again. I'm not the type who's cut out for that sort of thing. What ever happened to the Concorde?:confused:

Thank you. Still have to call Oceania, I have plenty of time. But I wouldn't travel 38 hours to see the second coming of Christ!:p let alone get back from a cruise. The worst in all my years of traveling was about 20 hours of non-stop flying, ferries and connections trying to get a last minute arrangment to Victoria. Swore never again. I'm not the type who's cut out for that sort of thing. What ever happened to the Concorde?:confused:

It crashed in Paris!

Archived