First Time Princess cruiser is nervous

NYLady

:) Hello everyone,

DH and I are preparing for our first Princess cruise and our first Caribbean cruise, simultaneously. I could use some advice from experienced from those of you who can help answer some of my questions.

Frankly, I never thought we would take a "Caribbean" cruise because we go to Aruba at least once a year and that satisfies our Caribbean needs. However, we couldn't resist the idea that we could take a cruise without ever boarding an airplane and check out Princess at the same time. Princess has some wonderful itineraries and if Princess is our style it would be great.

So, here are my questions for experienced Princess cruisers:

1. I think I am prepared for the shock of going from a small cruiseship (Oceania-about 620 passengers) to a very large vessel but I'm not certain. I'm thinking of it as going to a town that we need to explore. Is this a good way to approach it?

2. One of the things DH and I really detest are crowded conditions. We like lots of people but not in closterphobic spaces or "crowded" conditions". I'm hoping that staying clear of the pool during sea days and not going on excursions will allow us to avoid the worst. Any other advice?

3. There must be so many activities on a large ship that it is impossible to do them all. Is there a way to know beforehand what the schedule will look like? Not the details, of course, but does anyone have a sample schedule from an earlier cruise so I can get an idea of what we will be facing. This is not so important for DH because he takes things as they come but I get a little hyper trying to do everything. We are generally interested in the daytime activities, not so much the shows. I started Bridge lessons on Oceania, does Princess have Bridge for beginners? Any other information or advice on activities?

4. I have learned as much as I can from studying the deck plans of the ship we are sailing on but I know that experienced Princess cruisers must have some bits of advice to pass on. What can you tell us?

5. Our February, 2010 trip is booked in a Mini-Suite. It is discounted so I assume there are issues. It is aft, so I generally know what that means...what else?

6. Any other advice you can think would be helpful. (laundry, coffee, wine, etc)

Thank you all so much.

DH and I are preparing for our first Princess cruise and our first Caribbean cruise, simultaneously. I could use some advice from experienced from those of you who can help answer some of my questions.

Frankly, I never thought we would take a "Caribbean" cruise because we go to Aruba at least once a year and that satisfies our Caribbean needs. However, we couldn't resist the idea that we could take a cruise without ever boarding an airplane and check out Princess at the same time. Princess has some wonderful itineraries and if Princess is our style it would be great.

1. I think I am prepared for the shock of going from a small cruiseship (Oceania-about 620 passengers) to a very large vessel but I'm not certain. I'm thinking of it as going to a town that we need to explore. Is this a good way to approach it?

2. One of the things DH and I really detest are crowded conditions. We like lots of people but not in closterphobic spaces or "crowded" conditions". I'm hoping that staying clear of the pool during sea days and not going on excursions will allow us to avoid the worst. Any other advice?

3. There must be so many activities on a large ship that it is impossible to do them all. Is there a way to know beforehand what the schedule will look like? Not the details, of course, but does anyone have a sample schedule from an earlier cruise so I can get an idea of what we will be facing. This is not so important for DH because he takes things as they come but I get a little hyper trying to do everything. We are generally interested in the daytime activities, not so much the shows. I started Bridge lessons on Oceania, does Princess have Bridge for beginners? Any other information or advice on activities?

4. I have learned as much as I can from studying the deck plans of the ship we are sailing on but I know that experienced Princess cruisers must have some bits of advice to pass on. What can you tell us?

5. Our February, 2010 trip is booked in a Mini-Suite. It is discounted so I assume there are issues. It is aft, so I generally know what that means...what else?

6. Any other advice you can think would be helpful. (laundry, coffee, wine, etc)

Thank you all so much.

Hi DH Lady, I see you are booked on the 6-2-09 out of NYC also. We are booked on that cruise as well & it will be our 4th cruise, first on Princess.

I can't offer you advice re: Princess but can tell you that you are in the right place to get any insight. Cruise Critic & the people are terrific.

Any questions I've had re: our cruise have been answered here, directly or indirectly. I found you by accident just by reading the various threads. You should join the 6-2-09 roll call on the Princess. In fact, on 6-3, there is a get together for CC members. I look forward to hearing from you. Happy Easter!

Hi Nylady,

You didn't say which ship you were travelling on. They are all different.

I just love Princess Cruises and I'm sure you will too. The ships are spacious enough that you don't feel crowded at all. Except when you have to be tendered onto an island. But just hold back until the crowd has surged and then off you go. Don't stay on board, enjoy the places you go to. It is part of the joy of travelling.

We don't spend much time at the pool either on sea days. We come from a holiday area in Australia so we can go swimming daily. It holds no great drawcards for us so we spend the day - lets see, eating, resting, eating, walking, eating, playing games, eating, reading, eating, resting, oh did I mention eating. LOL

Seriously, princess spoils you rotten. There is a great bunch of people who sail on her. The service and amenities are great. If anyone tells you they had a lousy time, it was their fault, they made it that way.

Oh and make sure you lose those few kilos before you sail because did I mention before about the food? LOL

By the way, if you don't want to put too much weight on try dining in the traditional dining room instead of the Horizon Court (24 hr buffet). The portions are a good size and if you are still hungry after about the 4th course you can do like we did and just have a few deserts! (Just love those deserts!)

We will be in the Carribean in February next year on the Coral going through the Panama.

Have a great time and I'm sure you will love princess like we do.

Eileen

It is a big difference from small to large cruiseship. My advice is to explore and enjoy....you will find many quite spots to enjoy away from the large groups.

We have rarely found the excursions to be crowded. DH and I are not crowd people either and find very few areas to crowded for comfort. We skip the main pools and try to avoid the buffet at breakfast.

You might want to try dropping by the roll call for one of the cruises before you for sample schedules. Our last cruise there was a very active card group....just stop by the card room on your first day aboard for info.

Please don't feel that there are issues with this sailing do to the discount....every trip we've had has been on sale without any issue.

Many people will suggest a coffee card purchase....try one of the standard free coffee in the buffet before making your choice. Some people hate the free coffee.... some people like it. Me...prefer the fresh brew....Dh doesn't mind the regular coffee.

Thank you all so much.

Hope this helps-

1. I think I am prepared for the shock of going from a small cruiseship (Oceania-about 620 passengers) to a very large vessel but I'm not certain. I'm thinking of it as going to a town that we need to explore. Is this a good way to approach it? That seems like a reasonable approach -- it will be a different experience and as long as you are realistically prepared for that, all should be well.

2. One of the things DH and I really detest are crowded conditions. We like lots of people but not in closterphobic spaces or "crowded" conditions". I'm hoping that staying clear of the pool during sea days and not going on excursions will allow us to avoid the worst. Any other advice? I'm not a pool person per say... you can alway find quiet places to enjoy the sun.... but not necessarily around the pool. I don't find the ship feels crowded, but if you want good seats at one of the shows, you may want to go early. Avoiding peak times in the buffet or at anytime dining (if that's your choice) will help. There are quiet places all over the ship...you just need to look or ask the crew.

3. There must be so many activities on a large ship that it is impossible to do them all. Is there a way to know beforehand what the schedule will look like? Not the details, of course, but does anyone have a sample schedule from an earlier cruise so I can get an idea of what we will be facing. This is not so important for DH because he takes things as they come but I get a little hyper trying to do everything. We are generally interested in the daytime activities, not so much the shows. I started Bridge lessons on Oceania, does Princess have Bridge for beginners? Any other information or advice on activities? There are all kinds of activities and sometimes it is hard to pick and choose... if you post a request someone will have a recent Patter they can post.

4. I have learned as much as I can from studying the deck plans of the ship we are sailing on but I know that experienced Princess cruisers must have some bits of advice to pass on. What can you tell us? Board as early as you can and explore. Take your map and start from your room out. Make sure you find out where your dining room is and how to get there. Visit any other areas of the ship and learn the route -- ie) the gym, the spa, the library, etc. Learning the routes will save you time.

5. Our February, 2010 trip is booked in a Mini-Suite. It is discounted so I assume there are issues. It is aft, so I generally know what that means...what else? The room layout are almost always the same, the only difference is location. A mini-suite gets you a larger bathroom with a tub, a sitting area the has a small sofa and two TVs.

6. Any other advice you can think would be helpful. (laundry, coffee, wine, etc) There are self serve Laundromats on each floor for a charge and you can also have your laundry sent out to be done. Coffee is terrible -- if you like coffee, get a coffee card (about 20 dollars) that will get you 15 specialty coffee (espresso, cappuccino, etc) and unlimited fresh brewed coffee, hot chocolate and specialty tea. You can bring wine on board - one bottles per person in carry on or at each port will not raise any eyebrows - if you want more, put it in your checked luggage (carefully packed). Soda cards are available if you drink a lot of soda.

From your previous cruise locations, I think it will be difficult to compare a Princess Caribbean cruise to your other cruises. You will find on the Caribbean cruise the crowd will be younger, there will be more children and the atmosphere is entirely different that if you were to take a Princess cruise to the locations you have cruises Oceania on.

Thank you all so much.

I think you are prepared for a different experience -- so just relax and enjoy.

NYLady

I would be too concerned about the size. Last year we went on the Crown Princess (our first big ship) and our cruise before that was on the old Island Princess, about 700 passengers.

We didn't find the big ship a problem at all, except............Make sure you carry the little diagram map of the ship.:confused: They are also posted on the wall at all the elevators. Bathrooms where the hardest thing to find for us.:eek: Such a big ship, such little signs.:D

John

I think that's a great way to approach it! You'll find that the large ships on Princess don't have enormous inside areas; instead they break up the space into lots of smaller lounges and areas, so it really is kind of like exploring until you find your favourite "spot."

While right around the main pools can be crowded, if you go up one deck, you'll generally find a more spacious environment with ample loungers. Also, the larger ships have two adult pools, one forward near the Lotus Spa/Sanctuary and one all the way aft. They tend to be much less crowded and you'll totally have a small-ship feel at either of them!

Indoors, there can be quite a roadblock/crowd in the hallway on the Promenade Deck that they use for the photo gallery. If you get claustrophic in crowded conditions, you'll want to figure out a way to navigate around that (just strolling outside and walking aft/forward out on deck is usually the nicest & easiest way!).

People have posted photos of the Patters (the name of the daily newspaper) and you can probably do a search on here (and try on Webshots, too). Each day's is delivered to your cabin in the early evening of the day before, so you'll have time to peruse it and highlight the things that appeal to you.

I think they have bridge sometimes -- it'll be listed in the Patter.

Don't miss the galley tour & demonstration -- it's usually held on the last or near to last day and it's a demo in the big theatre and then a little tour -- it's always very funny and lots of fun.

My biggest piece of advice is to take the deck plan pages with you. They'll give you a little map when boarding, but it's a side-view of the ship, not an overhead floorplan, so it makes it very hard to see how to get from Point A to Point B. Also, there are maps at every elevator lobby. And the carpet is different colours on port and starboard sides of the ship (all blue on one side, blue & red on the other -- can't remember now which is port and which is starboard!). And just embrace getting "lost"! You'll eventually find your way where you intended to be and in the meantime you might discover some new part of the ship you never would have seen.

Princess always has sales/discounts. It doesn't mean at all that that cabin or category has issues, so I wouldn't worry about that.

There are laundry rooms (with irons & full-size ironing boards!) on every deck -- the closest to your cabin may be actually up or down one deck as they can alternate fore & aft.

Thank you all so much.

I hope this helps a little. It sounds like you're approaching this foray in the big-ship world of Princess with a good positive attitude and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise and really appreciate why so many of us love Princess!

I am sure you will both greatly enjoy your first Princess cruise.

For the most part, you will not feel crowded at all. However, there are some times when this is unavoidable.

If you have traditional dining (fixed time), the first night is very crowed at the dining room entrance as everyone gets individually seated for their first meal. To avoid the crowd, show up the first night about ten minutes after the time you are assigned. You will not be late. No problems on other nights, just do not show up ahead of time as the area will be crowded with people waiting for the doors to open.

The buffet area can be crowded at the main dining hours thus making it harder to find seats once you have your food. Please realize (maybe during your first afternoon exploring) that there are more tables aft of the main buffet area. Also, you may often need to share a table with "strangers" who will become your new friends.

To avoid crowds at the buffet at breakfast and lunch, you can eat those meals in the one main dining room that is open (normally the one near the atrium on deck 6) unless you are in a rush to get off the ship for an excursion. Be sure to note what the breakfast and lunch hours are in the dining room, as they do not let people enter after the posted closing time.

Breakfast in the dining room on disembarkation day is a relaxing way to end the cruise. At that meal, the buffet is a definite crowded zoo.

The Princess Theater (main show room) is undersized for the ship's capacity. You will need to be there at least 30 minutes in advance of most shows to get a decent seat. I do not know about your ship, but some have them have started giving a third performance of the main shows on the following day, and these are not as crowded.

Two other times you will find a crowd is the first formal night when the Captain's welcome cocktail party is held in the atrium area and when the champaigne waterfall is held, usually (but not always) on the last formal night, also in the atrium. Do not let the crowds stop you from attending either of these events.

As far as pools, you do not need to be deprived. There are two adults only pools. One is near the spa area (no extra charge for the pool) and is usually sparsely occupied. The other is at the rear of the ship one deck below the buffet area. You can find both of these as you explore.

For a relaxing inside spot during the day, the Skywalkers Lounge at the rear near the top (rear elevators only, and on some ships only two of the foiur elevators at the rear) is a great place. Not crowded and a great view. Another good spot is the Adagio lounge (also in the read) if your ship has one.

Hope this information helps.

As far as activities, following is a e-mail we received before an 18 day Trans-Atlantic cruise last fall. This gives a good example of the types of activity you will have. Since yours is a shorter cruise, there will be less production shows and other entertainers. Also will have a lesser number of lecturers.

On a cruise to the Caribbean, the port lectures are not very informative about the attractions and history, but tend to be mostly sales presentations for the shops that Princess favors.

The e-mail:

Production Shows

Your cruise will feature lavish production shows with one of the largest casts at sea in a setting that equals the best theaters ashore. Here's what you'll see:

Motor City

A tribute to America's heritage of soul, rhythm & blues featuring the music of the The Supremes, Tina Turner, The Jackson Five and Stevie Wonder!

What a Swell Party

Featuring songs of the Cole Porter era, this show will transport you to the yesteryear of the Roaring 20s!

Destination Anywhere

London? Africa? Las Vegas? Be it by plane, train or a luxury liner, this upbeat musical journey around the world is sure to delight the traveler in all of us.

Gaels Afloat

A troupe of local entertainers comes aboard your ship in the Port of Dublin and presents the "Gaels Afloat" folkloric show. Depicting the music, dancing and cultures of the region, it's hard to keep your feet from tapping and your hands from clapping when the Gaels Afloat dancers take to the floor and share their wonderful traditional costumes and spirited music.

Guest Entertainers

Princess features a talented lineup of comedians, magicians and guest singers just waiting to entertain you each evening. Your cruise will feature the following entertainers:

Kevin Hughes – Comedian

"International Comic of the Year" – come see Kevin's night of "Romance & Passion."

Tony Laffan and Kasey Laura – Illusionists

The comedy magic and illusions of Tony Laffan and Kasey Laura.

Peter Rosendahl – Unicycle

The fastest man on one wheel.

Darren Lynton – Vocalist

The thrilling dynamism of Darren's fantastic voice has earned standing ovations worldwide. A truly magical and unforgettable experience!

Richard Bono – Juggler

Richard Bono, the Crazy Frenchman, has toured with the world-famous Lido of Paris show.

Mat Ricardo – Variety Visual Performer

The art of performance juggling and balancing tricks with unusual objects.

Silver Statues – Living Statues

The incredible silver statues.

Kyle Esplin – Piano/Vocal Entertainer

Exciting pianist/vocalist with a unique blend from ballads to rock 'n' roll.

Suzanne Godfrey – Flautist

Award-winning music from Mancini, the movies and more.

Tom Briscoe – Comedian

Sharing his hilarious apathetic views on everyday living...the extremely funny and clever comedy of Tom Briscoe.

Michael Ziegfeld – Ventriloquist

Comedy ventriloquist Michael Ziegfeld.

Vladimir & Elena – Contortionists, magicians, quick changers

The award winning, world-class cirque artists, Vladimir & Elena.

Aleysa Gulevitch – Hula Hoops

Two-time Guinness World Record Holder Aleysa Gulevitch.

Scott Wyler – Comedian

The show with over 250 punch lines, comedian Scott Wyler.

Michael Johns – Hypnotist

Live from Las Vegas, hypnotist Michael Johns.

Spank – Acappella Doo-Wop Group

New York City-based Spank, an acappella doo-wop quartet, apply their superb talents to perform the songs of great R&B vocal groups like The Temptations, The Miracles, and The Four Tops

Taking the Spotlight

Princess passengers can also be stars! Every cruise offers many opportunities to become a performer yourself. Plus, our clubs and lounges provide lively dance floors and the best music of yesterday and today.

Princess Pop Star

Don't be shy – audition for Princess Pop Star and share your vocal talents with the world. If it's good it's great....when it's bad, it's better!

Ballroom Blitz

Princess offers complimentary Ballroom Dance instruction and various venues to showcase your new talents. Bring your dancing shoes!

Country & Western Theme Night

Round up your favorite cowgirls and cowboys for this Country & Western party! Make sure you're ready to saddle up for this night of dancing and fun. Wear 'em if you've got 'em: Western jeans Bandanas Cowboy hats Cowboy boots

Island Theme Night

Experience an evening in paradise at our Tropical Island Party! Join fellow passengers on deck while you hula to your favorite island songs or "hang loose" on this night of tropical fun.

Hawaiian Aloha Shirts Hula Skirts MuuMuus

50's Theme Night

Get ready to "Shake, Rattle and Roll" at this Fabulous 50's Party! Grab your best bobby socks and saddle shoes while you twist the night away in your favorite vintage fads and fashions: Poodle Skirts and Pony Tails Leather Jackets Cuffed Jeans

ScholarShip@Sea® and Guest Lecturers

Princess is the leader in at-sea interactive courses and we hope you participate in one of our many sessions! Learn to take professional-quality photos of your vacation, create a unique hand-painted mug, learn to navigate a cruise ship, or sit back and listen to informative presentations and inspirational real-life tales.

Forensic Psychologist

Want to know how to defend yourself against courtroom experts for hire? Veteran of countless courtroom trials, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Joel Klass dissects some of the most bizarre cases imaginable and tells you what really goes on behind closed courtroom doors.

Naturalist Guest Lecturer

Learn about volcanoes, celestial navigation, ocean currents and whales from Julius Talarico, Marine Biologist and Natural Scientist.

Maritime Guest Lecturer

Learn how England built her empire on the open ocean, about Lord Admiral Nelson's maritime triumphs and follow the life of a modern-day ship's pilot from Maritime Historian Capt. William Wells as he regales you with fascinating stories about the high seas.

Music Guest Lecturer

Broadway musical expert Marlene Solender brings to life the lives of those quintessential composers of the American songbook, and relives the stunning hits they brought to the "Great White Way."

Port Lecturer

What should you see? Where should you go? How much will it cost? Seasoned Port Lecturer Bernard Hutcheon will give you all the current inside tips on sightseeing port by port from Baltic cities to the North Atlantic, to Canada and the Big Apple.

Arts & Crafts

Get crafty with Arts & Crafts instructor Elaine Krugman and make a myriad of keepsakes that will always remind you of the fun you had on this transatlantic voyage.

Computers@Sea

Download your best digital photos and learn how Photoshop can make them even better. Unlock the secrets of the World Wide Web by surfing the Internet with ease. Attach documents, photos, even short videos and e-mail them with confidence. Our Computers@Sea program offers passengers an array of fun and useful computer classes taught by computer experts that will answer all your questions.

Learn to Play Bridge

Bridge players will be able to play with a certified Bridge instructor, while beginners can learn the basics of the game from Bridge Host, Gary Cox.

Princess Book Club

Meet fellow passengers and avid book readers while engaging in literary discussion at the Princess Book Club. Book selections are drawn from the New York Times Best Sellers list, reflective of the interests of the ship's passengers. For passengers wishing to participate on their voyage, but who haven't yet read the selection, multiple copies of each book will be available at the ship's library. Selected book titles for Crown Princess are:

Playing for Pizza, by John Grisham

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

Feature Films

Every cruise features a great selection of first-run feature films for your viewing pleasure. On select ships, guests can experience Movies under the Stars®, our 300-square foot, 69,000-watt outdoor movie theater – so you can watch the latest films, sporting events and concerts from the comfort of your deck chair. Take a look below to see what's playing on your voyage.

Now Showing:

Iron Man – PG-13

Kung Fu Panda – PG

Sex and the City – R

What Happens in Vegas – PG-13

Forgetting Sarah Marshall – R

Made of Honor – PG-13

Leatherheads – PG-13

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – PG-13

Vantage Point – PG-13

The Great Debaters – PG-13

Meet Bill – R

Street Kings – R

Charlie Wilson’s War – R

21 – PG-13

We took our first ever cruise on the Ruby in March. We loved every minute of it and are now hooked and loyal Princess cruisers. We have already booked our next trip on the Emerald 4/11/10.

We did purchase a soda card which we felt was well worth it. We also purchased a coffee card which we thought was not worth it. The regular coffee on the ship was fine and we really didn't need to get the card.

For me it is an exploration adventure,when we cruise,great job grabbing a mini suite,and aft is good not bad lol,we love the cabins all the way aft,great views,quiet,and you wont feel crowded,after you board and do muster drill,get unpacked,have your first foo-foo,everyone kind of spreads out everywhere,and it feels quite open really,but not crowded,let us know how it went when you get back:))))))))))):p;)

1. I think I am prepared for the shock of going from a small cruiseship (Oceania-about 620 passengers) to a very large vessel but I'm not certain. I'm thinking of it as going to a town that we need to explore. Is this a good way to approach it? -- To me, the biggest difference is that instead of taking five minutes to walk from one end of the ship to the other, it takes 10+ minutes (not power walking.) :) There are three (or five) dining rooms instead of one; more lounges, lots more outside area; much bigger buffet area; etc. In other words, there's more of everything.

2. One of the things DH and I really detest are crowded conditions. We like lots of people but not in closterphobic spaces or "crowded" conditions". I'm hoping that staying clear of the pool during sea days and not going on excursions will allow us to avoid the worst. Any other advice? -- I'm with you. I avoid the buffet during the peak breakfast and lunch periods, having breakfast after 9AM and lunch after 1:30PM, or having them in the dining room, which is very civilized. As has been mentioned, going up to Skywalkers during the day is great: terrific views, very quiet, and almost no one else. On the other hand, there's no bar service there during the day.

3. There must be so many activities on a large ship that it is impossible to do them all. Is there a way to know beforehand what the schedule will look like? Not the details, of course, but does anyone have a sample schedule from an earlier cruise so I can get an idea of what we will be facing. This is not so important for DH because he takes things as they come but I get a little hyper trying to do everything. We are generally interested in the daytime activities, not so much the shows. I started Bridge lessons on Oceania, does Princess have Bridge for beginners? Any other information or advice on activities? -- One of the things my brother-in-law really likes about the larger ships is that they have much better bridge groups; there's usually a bridge lecture in the morning and duplicate bridge in the afternoon on sea days.

4. I have learned as much as I can from studying the deck plans of the ship we are sailing on but I know that experienced Princess cruisers must have some bits of advice to pass on. What can you tell us? -- Again, Skywalkers is one of my favorite places to hang out.

5. Our February, 2010 trip is booked in a Mini-Suite. It is discounted so I assume there are issues. It is aft, so I generally know what that means...what else? -- I loved my mini-suite and have one booked on my upcoming Sapphire cruise.

Relax and enjoy yourself. If you're doing laundry in the self-serve machines, I suggest going later in the afternoon, maybe 4PM or later and you'll have no problem finding a machine and being done quickly.

You have all been so helpful. I read each of your postings aloud to DH. Keep any advice coming as I love it all and will use all your advice.

Thanks again!

PS - In June we will be on Caribbean Princess (our Princess exploratory) but our more important cruise will be on Diamond Princess when we will go from New Zealand to Australia. Actually, I'm excited about both of them.

PS - In June we will be on Caribbean Princess (our Princess exploratory) but our more important cruise will be on Diamond Princess when we will go from New Zealand to Australia. Actually, I'm excited about both of them.
You'll find a lot of similarities between the CB and the Diamond Princess. The Diamond has fewer passengers, the two Anytime dining rooms are each split in half so there are four smaller Anytime dining rooms, and some lounges and areas are located in different spaces but it's not a biggie. Until they retro-fit the Diamond, it has a covered pool area instead of the open pool with MUTS. FYI, above the covered pool area is a bit of deck called the Conservatory. It's still covered and has loungers and seating areas. The only negative is that there's a chlorine smell but it's a quiet area to hang out.

I love the smell of chlorine (but then I'm a pool baby while I know Pam isn't one)! Actually it's that chlorine smell that lets you know there are freshwaster pools -- gotta embrace it for that reason alone.

I don't think Diamond has the new International Cafe and Vines on Deck 5 in the piazza/atrium, which the CB now features. You'll definitely want to check those out; the IC has wonderful free salads and sandwiches at lunch and pastries in the morning. There are also some things which are for a charge (gelato, choc-covered strawberries, tapas, etc.) -- those are clearly marked. But the rest is free and a it's a great place for a quiet lunch or snack.

I love the smell of chlorine (but then I'm a pool baby while I know Pam isn't one)! Actually it's that chlorine smell that lets you know there are freshwaster pools -- gotta embrace it for that reason alone.
Hey, I grew up practically living in a pool in the summer so I have nothing against pools. I'm just old enough and have had enough pre-cancerous patches burned off (most recently a month ago) that I stay out of the sun which is why I avoid the pool area. I liked to eat lunch in the covered pool area and sit up in the Conservatory but my friend said the chlorine smell gave her a headache so I rarely went up there. :( I'll probably be there next week when I'm not sitting on my balcony. Whoo hoo!

You have all been so helpful. I read each of your postings aloud to DH. Keep any advice coming as I love it all and will use all your advice.

Thanks again!

Lucky you going on the Diamond. We were booked on her for an Asian trip next March but had to cancel because realised after the fact that it will be our no. 3 daughter's 21st birthday. So we just booked a Carribean trip through the Panama instead in Feb next year! Gives us a reason to go to Asia in 2011. LOL

You will love New Zealand - the scenery is magnificent. I hope you will be going to Milford Sound. Love Christchurch, Dunedin in fact the scenery in the south island to amazing. North Island people are lovely and its a shame you wont have time to go to Rotorua.

I am a bit bias towards Australia. LOL. Wait until you go through The Heads into Sydney Harbour. It really is the most beautiful harbour in the world. I grew up in Sydney, but have found paradise in Queensland. Have been here 22 years and love it. Sydney is great to visit though.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you get to see quite a bit of down under.

I am looking forward to seeing your country next year. We will be staying in LA for a week after the cruise. Should be interesting.

Eileen:)

Thanks again!

Hi we are also new to Princess, actually new to cruising. Hope you are on the same cruise as us as I don't want to be the only newbie!

The only advise I can give you is to go to the Caribbean Princess Roll Call and sign up, that will give you a chance to meet all the members of this blog that are on this cruise. It sounds like fun. We are sailing on the 2nd of June.

To avoid crowds:

If you are stopping in Nassau/Paradise Island, avoid the Atlantis Resort; I've never felt so crowded as I did there. If you go to the Princess Theatre, get there 20-30 minutes early, or you will not get a seat. Avoid the buffets at peak time.

We have recently returned from our first cruise with Princess - on board Emerald Princess. We were slightly apprehensive as she is the largest ship that we have been on and it was our first experience of fly cruise. I have to say that we had the most wonderful time on board the ship. The ship is large but so well laid out that you can always find a quiet spot. The shows on the first night are always packed, but they usually perform them over two nights and there is never a problem getting a seat on the second night, even with a few minutes to go before showtime. We found the fun of exploring the ship added to the whole experience. We were on board in time for lunch and then went off and explored whilst the ship was fairly quiet. You learn where and what to avoid in relation to crowds, and I note that you have received a wealth of advice so won't reiterate, other than to say you will have a wonderful time.

We enjoyed the whole experience and we will definitely be back on board a Princess cruise in the near future.

We took our first ever cruise on the Ruby in March. We loved every minute of it and are now hooked and loyal Princess cruisers. We have already booked our next trip on the Emerald 4/11/10.

We did purchase a soda card which we felt was well worth it. We also purchased a coffee card which we thought was not worth it. The regular coffee on the ship was fine and we really didn't need to get the card.

We just got off our first Princess Cruise on the Crown. I read on the boards that thecoffee was terrible. It actually was not bad at all. We drank it every morning and evening. One day, the decaf was not good and we switched to regular. They have cream and milk and putting cream in it made it very tasty. I would not spend money on a card. Anytime you want, you can walk into the buffet and have a nice cup of hot coffee. Please don't forget the 3:30-4:30 ice cream buffet which was offered on the Crown. I am not sure if all the ships offer this. It was a highlight to our cruise! :D

We have recently returned from our first cruise with Princess - on board Emerald Princess. We were slightly apprehensive as she is the largest ship that we have been on and it was our first experience of fly cruise. I have to say that we had the most wonderful time on board the ship. The ship is large but so well laid out that you can always find a quiet spot. The shows on the first night are always packed, but they usually perform them over two nights and there is never a problem getting a seat on the second night, even with a few minutes to go before showtime. We found the fun of exploring the ship added to the whole experience. We were on board in time for lunch and then went off and explored whilst the ship was fairly quiet. You learn where and what to avoid in relation to crowds, and I note that you have received a wealth of advice so won't reiterate, other than to say you will have a wonderful time.

We enjoyed the whole experience and we will definitely be back on board a Princess cruise in the near future.

Hi, where did you cruise please?

Archived