Luggage Locks ??

Ilivetogo

My sister's SIL puts small Bibles in an opaque bag in her side pocket and finds it incredibly ironic that they often disappear. I'm sure the people opening the bag are quite disappointed.

Viv

I'm not surprised. I worked for a book store chain for many years and the Bible section always had one of the highest rates of theft. Seems they have "street value". Can you imagine buying a shoplifted Bible? Go figure.

The first mistake is packing cameras, laptops, phones, radios, and jewelry, etc in your checked baggage. All of these belong in your carry-on to minimize the chance of theft. Also, when they're in your checked baggage waiting to go aboard the ship, do you really want those things to be in your bag which may be at the very bottom of the pile in the container going out to the dock? We also watched from the deck as the occasional suitcase falls off the top of the pile and ends up in the water. One more thing. When you pack liquids and creams in your checked baggage, first place them inside good zip-lock bags. Before I started doing this, a TSA agent hand inspected one of our suitcases and (I hope) inadvertently opened the cap of a large plastic bottle of suntan lotion. When we got to our destination and opened the suitcase we discovered an unbelievable mess. Better still, double bag 'em.

Dave

The first mistake is packing cameras, laptops, phones, radios, and jewelry, etc in your checked baggage. All of these belong in your carry-on to minimize the chance of theft. Also, when they're in your checked baggage waiting to go aboard the ship, do you really want those things to be in your bag which may be at the very bottom of the pile in the container going out to the dock? We also watched from the deck as the occasional suitcase falls off the top of the pile and ends up in the water. One more thing. When you pack liquids and creams in your checked baggage, first place them inside good zip-lock bags. Before I started doing this, a TSA agent hand inspected one of our suitcases and (I hope) inadvertently opened the cap of a large plastic bottle of suntan lotion. When we got to our destination and opened the suitcase we discovered an unbelievable mess. Better still, double bag 'em.

Dave

Excellent advice. That has happened to us with hand lotion.

Regarding locks, I never put anything of value in my suitcase. However, I do want to prevent the zippers from opening just because they're tossed around so much. We've had lugguage arrive with the zippers partially opened. TSA approved locks or zip ties will do the trick in securing the zippers.

I have read (here and there) about people locking their luggage and suggesting other do so. I have never had a lock on my luggage - mostly because we only fly (occasionally) down the east coast to Florida from PA (2.5 hour flight) then we pick it up and go on our way.

Is there something about cruising and the people handling the bags that makes this necessary? If so, what kind of "locks" do you use? Where do you get them? And how do you put a lock on a little zipper pull?

Just trying to be prepared for August. :)

THANKS!!

i havnt read threw the post so sorry if this has been added but i use the plastic zip-locks. i always have extra ones in my purse if they need to open a bag and then i can lock it again. i make sure they are on my bags when i give them too the porter at the dock. i need to know that the bag has some sort of lock on it at all time.

I use TSA locks only to prevent the zipper from accidently opening. But if someone is of the mind to steal something, I wonder if locks act like a sign that says "Valuables here."

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I've never used locks and never had anything taken. I will be getting locks for our first cruise though.

I do not put anything of value in our checked bags anyway. That stuff is always in my carry-on.

i havnt read threw the post so sorry if this has been added but i use the plastic zip-locks. i always have extra ones in my purse if they need to open a bag and then i can lock it again. i make sure they are on my bags when i give them too the porter at the dock. i need to know that the bag has some sort of lock on it at all time.

When you talk about "zip-locks" are these what you are referring to:

colored_cable_ties.jpg

They are wire ties, not zip locks.

Zip Lock is a term used for sealing plastic bags.

Zip Lock Bags

Sorry if I'm being rude, but let's name things properly.

Thank you, Alex! We just heard from the judges and they will accept "zip tie" or "cable tie" in addition to wire tie.;)

Now, I'd like "Luggage Security" for $800, please!

Sea Hound:D

they will accept "zip tie" or "cable tie" in addition to wire tie.;)

It's cable tie in australia, and yes we always use tsa locks, never had one cut off, they always open with key and leave a note.

We like them because they have a green dot that changes to red when they have been opened, so if you travel to a druggie country, you can get someone to check your bag before customs, if you are suspicious of BAG HANDLERS PUTTING IN DRUGS FOR SOMEONE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF CUSTOMS...it happens.

and the s.it happens:eek:

They are wire ties, not zip locks.

Wire Tie

Wire Tie Gun

Zip Lock is a term used for sealing plastic bags.

Zip Lock Bags

Sorry if I'm being rude, but let's name things properly.

that's where I was getting confused; I kinda thought they were referring to the cable ties, or wire ties. How about the plastic handcuffs? Same Idea?

Here's a website for TSA approved locks:

www.safeskieslocks.com

With these locks, you can set your own combination. The security people can also open up the locks with a key. We've always locked our luggage, if they 'clip' the locks, so what, another set costs only a couple of bucks. Most locks will fit the two zipper handles. Happy cruisin' :)

this is not a flame...but...

after reading that (and also doing my own reading on TSA approved locks)...it still doesn't change the fact that "someone" else can have access.

i'm a fan of using zip ties from home depot. but yeah...what if your only means of locking are by the zipper pulls.

Zip ties only slow down a determined thief, and at least let you know somebody looked inside. If TSA cuts them off, then anyone at the airline, etc can still get in with cutting them.

Personally, we have never ever locked our bags. We have been running at least 6 trips a year of some type for quite some time now. Never a problem. I do have a roll aboard with things I do not want to loose. If somebody wants to steal my clothes, I know some nice resorts in St Martin that will work just fine without them!

Why risk an opportunistic theft by leaving your bags unlocked? If you use TSA-approved locks, you can leave your luggage locked for the airport as well as the cruise line. (The TSA doesn't do the cruise ship screening, but their approved locks work for all purposes.)

I’m quite sure that TSA doesn’t have the only set of keys to open the locks. That’s why I use cable ties. They do the same job as the locks, keeping the zipper from coming unzipped. If someone wants to open your luggage they will. We’re not talking about the vault at the bank. It’s a suitcase.

Zip ties only slow down a determined thief, and at least let you know somebody looked inside. If TSA cuts them off, then anyone at the airline, etc can still get in with cutting them.

oh definitely. i was speaking from a cost basis...since i have a "boat load" of them...(pun intended). :)

Archived