Anyone not like being regular balcony near hump balconies?

Does anyone not like being near the hump balconies? The closer you are to them, the less of a 180* view you have. I just wondered if anyone was bummed when they got a cabin one or two cabins away from the hump.

Does anyone not like being near the hump balconies? The closer you are to them, the less of a 180* view you have. I just wondered if anyone was bummed when they got a cabin one or two cabins away from the hump.

No problem at all. You get a 175* view. On a 13 nighter spent may be 5 mins looking for/aft. Cabins near elevators.

Always wondered who started the term "hump" cabins, obviously not British, because there it has other;););)!!! meanings!!!;););)

Enjoy your cruise.

Our last cruise was in cabin #6632 on the Navigator right after the hump. We've had all sorts of cabins before including the coveted corner aft balcony but I'd prefer a cabin on or near the hump any day. :)

2P.P1

We were at the very beginning of the hump on our February cruise and found no problem with it. Granted, we could not look forward but the view looking aft was nice and beside we usually look straight ahead at the sea, etc. We still were able to watch the people leaving and returning to the ship while we sat on our balcony. The only bummer was when we had to watch a couple left behind because they literally missed the ship by inches. If the Captain had open the door they could have literally jumped on board that is how close they were but the habor master would not allow it. And yes I said
bummer
because
we are not the type of people who clap and rejoice because someone misses the ship.

The hump does NOT block your view!!!!

I beg to differ. We have twice had the last bump stateroom and there is a block of the view. When you look forward you do not see the bow of the ship and it seems as the ship sails at an angel.

That does not in any way mean we do not like the hump as it is close proximity to the main elevators with easy access to MDR and Windjammer.

Our last cruise was in cabin #6632 on the Navigator right after the hump. We've had all sorts of cabins before including the coveted corner aft balcony but I'd prefer a cabin on or near the hump any day. :)

2P.P1

My cabin on the Freedom is almost on the exact same spot as yours, 6630, so as I am reading this thread I started to get concern too about being so close to the hump. But I guess everyone says it is not so bad...

No problem at all. You get a 175* view. On a 13 nighter spent may be 5 mins looking for/aft. Cabins near elevators.

Always wondered who started the term "hump" cabins, obviously not British, because there it has other;););)!!! meanings!!!;););)

Enjoy your cruise.

It does in the US as well, but we CC members understand the difference!

I beg to differ. We have twice had the last bump stateroom and there is a block of the view.

Yes, it "blocks" the view of.........more water:rolleyes: Even if you're forward of the hump you don't see the bow of the ship looking forward, you see......more water:) We've been next to the hump a couple times and it didn't bother us at all, you're usually looking OUT. When you look forward or aft you see......other people leaning over their balcony's, and more water!:D

Don't worry about being just aft or forward of the hump. And as others have said the location is great for getting up to the pool/windjammer or down to the promenade quick. Anywhere near the hump is a great location, the closer the better!

We just got off the Independence TA. We originally had 9340, a D1 right at the center of the starboard hump. Shortly before the cruise we gave it up to get the discount for a balcony guaranty. After going back into the guaranty pool a couple of times, we ended up with 9656, a D2 on the port side, 6 doors down from the center of the hump and a couple of cabins from the start of the hump. It is simple geometry that the hump obstructs the view somewhat, and the closer to the hump, the greater the degree of obstruction. Having said that the view was fine. I didn't think the hump protruded out as much as I expected it would. We don't tend to spend long times on the balcony, but did go out regularly. No complaints about the cabin or location whatsoever.

We got a huge discount to move, and if the price was the same, I would still probably take the middle of the hump. But after our experience, it wouldn't take much of a difference to induce us to change.

One thing I will say -- you really have no idea how big the Freedom class ships are until you have been on them. Pictures simply cannot convey a good impression of the size. Having been on smaller ships before, the difference was striking. Looking down the hall, it looks like it goes on forever. Accordingly, if mobility is any kind of issue, you should consider trying to stay at or near the elevator banks.

I have some pictures I can post this evening if interested.

D

That would be awesome if you could post some pictures. What I am considering is pretty much exactly where you were.

I'm the type of guy that spends hours researching every little detail until I finally feel comfortable with the decision. My money is earned the hard way and I try to waste as little as possible.

My cabin on the Freedom is almost on the exact same spot as yours, 6630, so as I am reading this thread I started to get concern too about being so close to the hump. But I guess everyone says it is not so bad...

Any blockage of the view would in my opinion be miniscule and not worth bothering about. "not so bad" doesn't even come into play in this case unless of course you're looking for something to complain about. For me it's a complete non-issue. :rolleyes:

You love the convenience of this location. :)

2P.P1

That would be awesome if you could post some pictures. What I am considering is pretty much exactly where you were.

I'm the type of guy that spends hours researching every little detail until I finally feel comfortable with the decision. My money is earned the hard way and I try to waste as little as possible.

I will try to post pics tonight. It may be later or even tomorrow, I will be out part of the evening. I will add to my previous post that, according to RCI's deckplans and the cabins I have seen, except for the aft cabins, D1s and D2s are the same size -- the difference is in location. I will gladly change to a similar cabin to get a good discount. Some people are balconey snobs, some are suite snobs. I am a price snob.

For what it's worth, since the cabin we had was well into the aft third of the ship, I will add we did not notice the motion compared to other areas of the ship. We did notice it in the theater and the Pyramid Lounge which are well forward.

If you really like looking forward, I will give you another suggestion. The furthest forward balcony cabins on Independence [and I assume other Freedom class ships] have clear shields on the forward side of the balcony. You can stand there and get almost the same view the Captain would have from the bridge wing. I was in the D1 furthest forward on [i believe] 7 starboard. Great forward view and the balcnoey appeared to be a little longer [maybe a foot or so]. You might sacrifice a little privacy though. Don't recall what other spaces on the ship might have sight lines into that area.

D

I don't like having a cabin anywhere near the 'hump' balconies. I've been as far from them as six or eight cabins and it's still too close. You have absolutely no view of where you are going and instead get to see your neighbors' balconies. Same would be true if you are just ahead of the 'hump' and wish to look at where you've been.

I always try to book as far from the 'hump' as possible. Probably the aft balconies, which are very popular, are a good alternative to being on either side of the ship.

I don't like having a cabin anywhere near the 'hump' balconies. I've been as far from them as six or eight cabins and it's still too close. You have absolutely no view of where you are going and instead get to see your neighbors' balconies. Same would be true if you are just ahead of the 'hump' and wish to look at where you've been.

I always try to book as far from the 'hump' as possible. .

:cool: Agree! We also always try to book as far away from the hump as possible!

Archived