Get your hot dogs.

tlw440

I think it's the great feeling of being on vacation, the open air surroundings, and the fact that you just walk up and order anything you like as often as you like. And hotdogs bring out the kid in all of us for a few minutes at least.

That and the 24-hour soft serve ice cream... But Ma... It's free!

I agree about the psychological influence of the vacation experience. All the food on the ship was great, but I doubt any of it would taste nearly as good on a rainy early winter day in St. Louis.

• 9 months later...

Can't wait to try some hot dogs! I know my kids will love them too.

I'm not a big hot dog eater at home, maybe once or twice a month, but the best hot dogs where I live come from the original Nathan's at Coney Island. Let's see if the ship's dogs beat Nathans! Come to think of it, Nathan's is right near the ocean, maybe that ocean air is what makes them taste so good.

The only time I ever had a hot dog was when I was at the racetrack. I didn't know they had them on the ship, and yes I too work in a packing house, and know exactly what they put into hot dogs... at least, what we put in ours. I'll have to remember hot dogs next January on the Destiny.

We tried the hotdogs on the Conquest in February and loved them. They are definately the BEST hotdogs we've ever had. Don't foget to add the cheese sauce, yummy!:D

Or you could just do a cement IV to get it over with quicker.:rolleyes:

Ok, my 2cents about the hotdogs.....I dont think its the hotdogs that are so darn good....I think it maybe the atmosphere!!!!! HHMMMM anything on vacation, in the caribbean, listening to reggae and washing it down with the DOD has got to be good!!!!! :D Mindy

I don't know about atmosphere, but the best hotdogs I've ever eaten were at Costco. Unfortunately, they no longer use Sinai Kosher, because the product is no longer being made. The hotdogs they now use are not nearly as good. I've quit drinking Coke, so now there is no reason to get a hotdog and a Coke for $1.50 at Costco. That used to be the best lunch in town.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

but the best hot dogs where I live come from the original Nathan's at Coney Island. Let's see if the ship's dogs beat Nathans! Come to think of it, Nathan's is right near the ocean, maybe that ocean air is what makes them taste so good.

...If you're expecting Nathan's, FORGET IT! Growing up in Brooklyn, Nathan's hot dogs and fries (along with Pop-Tarts, but that's a story for another day) were the staple of my diet! The hot dogs on Carnival are, let's say, a "different kind of good." They are very, very good and I enjoy them all week long, but Nathan's they are not. The fries onboard are also good, kind of like potato sticks. They are NOT those golden delicious, crinkle cut, peanut oil fried, crispy outside, soft potato inside, neptune fork spearing fries from Nathan's! But again, there's nothing like grabing a Carnival hot dog and fries from the Lido Deck and watching the waves go by...

How about the chicken? It seams they never have it when we get in line.

Anyone else have this problem?

Remember the steak sandies......sorta of disappeared without fan-fare.

We tried the hotdogs on the Conquest in February and loved them. They are definately the BEST hotdogs we've ever had. Don't foget to add the cheese sauce, yummy!:D

My husband and I will be aboard the Conquest in August and the thought of Hot Dogs never entered my mind until I read this thread.

We'll definitely be trying them and I'll take a pic of the "Dogs" in question and post them on this thread when we return. Thanks for the heads up regarding the cheese sauce. :D

The chicken is good, especially when hot out of the fryer. For a couple of years, they used to have onion rings next to the chicken and they were excellent, I have not seen them in the last year, so I am assuming they went the way of the steak sandwich.

On my 12/8 cruise, they had chicken and onion rings every day, but there was not a drop of ranch dressing to be found on the ship for the entire 8 days. We were told that they they didn't get any when they docked.

Sounds pretty cruel to me:p

Can't wait to try some hot dogs! I know my kids will love them too.

I'm not a big hot dog eater at home, maybe once or twice a month, but the best hot dogs where I live come from the original Nathan's at Coney Island. Let's see if the ship's dogs beat Nathans! Come to think of it, Nathan's is right near the ocean, maybe that ocean air is what makes them taste so good.

I have never had Nathans but Carnival hot dogs are very good, maybe it is the ocean air.:D

Well, since no one took a stab at finding out the real answer we're all after, I went ahead and asked Carnival:

To Whom it May Concern:

I have an unusual question to ask and want to let the cruise critic forum know the answer - seems your hot dogs are awesome and a lot of people want to know what brand of hot dog you order for the cruise ships. Everyone is raging about them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=984323

Either send me the answer, or post it for the madding crowd? THANKS - I can't wait to try these hot dogs in July on my very first Carnival cruise!!!

So maybe we'll hear from them, or they will send me the answer. Keep your eyes open on this thread!

The hot dogs on the Carnival ships are almost as good as the ones at Eldora Speedway in Ohio. When Tony Stewart bought the joint from Earl Baltes, he was wise not to change them.

Doc:)

COOKING HOT DOGS AT HOME!

I'd recommend natural casings but use your favorite.

Fill a Dutch oven nearly full with water, add salt to get a slight brine taste to the water. Bring to a boil. Dump in dogs, cover, TURN OFF heat. Allow the dogs to steep about 5-8 minutes. If you have a grease splash screen, put the opened buns on the screen. Put the screen over the Dutch oven, cover again, 1 minute. Serve dogs. Taste just like the "ball park," including steamed buns, when done this way.

Archived