Which end of ship?

trikeman

This may sound like kind of a dumb question but,we are thinking of going on a cruise this fall and normally we always get a cabin mid ship. This time the only cabins available are either in the bow or all the way aft. My question is would you feel less movement on one end or the other, or would it be about the same? Thanks for your patience.

We prefer the aft. I have read here that forward balcony's are too windy to use while at sea, but I don't know this for sure. You will feel more movement in either area compared to mid ship, but I don't have a problem with it & I get seasick very easily. Bonine is my friend:)

Jan

This may sound like kind of a dumb question but,we are thinking of going on a cruise this fall and normally we always get a cabin mid ship. This time the only cabins available are either in the bow or all the way aft. My question is would you feel less movement on one end or the other, or would it be about the same? Thanks for your patience.

We didnt feel a lot of movement in the aft. But you can feel the vibration from the engines/props. And the higher up, the more roll you may feel. But we LOVED it. The main thing we liked was, we were able to use the balcony the whole time. No wind. We would even play cards and never had a problem. I am talking about the rooms VERY aft on the BACK of the ship.

We will get nothing else.

But thats just us.

We also prefer aft cabins. You'll feel movement just about the same in any area. We like aft cabins because there is less traffic of passengers and it is usually pretty quiet.

I'm sailing on the Crown in Dec and booked an aft balcony. I previously said the fwd balcony on the NCL Dawn in 2007 & had no problem with wind (maybe weather related?) or excessive movement. I did feel some movement but nothing out of ordinary. You'll be fine either way. Enjoy your cruise!

You can get a bit of movement too on the aft but nothing like when you are forward. We had an aft suite on the CB and there were times when I had to lean against the wall of the shower in order to wash my feet. I couldn't do it standing on one leg, which I can always do other times. However, I would never get a forward cabin because DH will get seasick since the movement is worse there.

I, too, would definitely go with the aft as I believe there's more movement and sound forward than aft. Yes, you might feel some vibration, especially from the thrusters as you enter and leave port, but I'd rather feel that than the slapping of the waves.

Go for the "true" aft. You'll get that wonderful 180 view! If your concerned with motion, there will be more at the bow than aft.

We sailed the Princess Diamond a few years back and our cabin was on the Dolphin deck, fourth from the bow (front) and on the second night, a huge wave thrashed onto our deck and against our sliding glass doors and woke us up! It happened only once. I keep hoping it'll happen again. I am a thrill seeker!

Another vote for aft. We took a guarantee last year on an Alaskan cruise on the Diamond. We were in C109, and it was terrible. I've never been seasick on all of the cruises I've taken--until this one. If I can't get a midship cabin, I'd definitely take the aft. In fact, we won't take a guarantee anymore in fear of getting a forward cabin.

Archived