All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

I am not bashing the cabanas. I'm seriously wondering if it is a must like ppl say. If we liked and did fine in the sun in Cozumel will it be much different in the Bahamas or should I seriously consider a cabana? Do ppl rent them for the luxury or for the heat?

Both...some people cannot tolerate sun/heat well so prefer to have the air conditioning while still enjoying the amazing view.

We rented one for the comfort of having padded loungers, snorkel gear, snacks, and a little more privacy.

Each individual has to decide if the price is worth the extra comfort or not. For us it was and we will be renting anohter one next weekend!:D

If it's just my wife and I in a cabana...and we want to take a swim, how do we leave any of our valuables behind (camera...) while we are in the water?

What would you do with them if you DON'T rent a cabana? I'd be careful about anything I took in either situation, but at least in a cabana you could hide them a little better.

I am not bashing the cabanas. I'm seriously wondering if it is a must like ppl say. If we liked and did fine in the sun in Cozumel will it be much different in the Bahamas or should I seriously consider a cabana? Do ppl rent them for the luxury or for the heat?

Anytime we have been there it has been frickin hot with not a cloud in the sky. Having a cabana to slip back into every once in awhile would have been very refreshing (we wouldn't spend all day in there but to just get out of the heat for a few minutes would have been heaven).

Where does one get these? Sorry, first time cruiser here :o

Hey you!! It's Tami from the roll call board. When we get on the ship we have to "high tail" it over to the excursion desk to book one. There is only 12so we have to run!!

We talked a little about in on our Roll Call thread, with HAL you can pre-book them but not with Carnival.

I was at Half Moon Cay Jan 18th, 2010. The water was a little cool to start with, but after two or three minutes it was nice!

I had Cabana #8 and it was lovely. The shower didn't work, but no biggie. I took a long hot shower when I got back to the ship.......I will be going back in September, but this time I will book Cabana #2 or 3. They are both close to the bathrooms, dining/food, and the bar.

Is it safe to say that at this port, you don't have to book an excursion? You can just get off the ship and onto the beach?
yes

Hey you!! It's Tami from the roll call board. When we get on the ship we have to "high tail" it over to the excursion desk to book one. There is only 12so we have to run!!

There are 15 cabanas

We talked a little about in on our Roll Call thread, with HAL you can pre-book them but not with Carnival.

Is it worth an additional $74.00 to be able to pre-book online?

IMO, yes, I don't have to run once on board to secure a cabana. I know weeks in advance if I have a cabana.

no you can only reserve them on board.. we tried ! LOL

Yes you can .. The Cabana rental includes snorkel equipment that will be in the cabanna..no we did not use it as we dont snorkle..

I can not tell you how good the snorkling is or isnt sorry!

The bay seems to be mostly sand, no structure to attract fish life. So unless you try swimming out much deeper, all you'll see is a lot of legs and people splashing.

Edited by robomom

I found it! ;) I thought you were telling me it was in the Grand Turk section, LOL!! Anywho, okay, thanks for the info! My mother likes how they look, but when she heard the cost she was like :eek:, lmao!! But it's still an option, I want to know more about this clamshell thing as well, maybe a pic. I'm going to do a search. Question, these cabanas are on the beach right where we dock right?

Carnival needs to start doing that! I can't believe there are only 12 cabanas and 2500+ ppl on a boat!

Carnival needs to start doing that! I can't believe there are only 12 cabanas and 2500+ ppl on a boat!

15 cabanas, and probably enough room for 15 more. Despite the additional revenue 15 additional cabanas would generate, I doubt they would want to litter the entire beach with cabanas.

Who knows what the future might hold?

The bay seems to be mostly sand, no structure to attract fish life. So unless you try swimming out much deeper, all you'll see is a lot of legs and people splashing.

They do have those concrete artificial reef building balls with holes in them scattered about to try to attract fish. There are too few and too many people about when a ship is there to do the job IMHO however.

973548775_reefball.JPG.067e7b59cace81de44289bdc5a7366d4.JPG

Can you tell me how long you get to stay in the Cabana? We are going to be there in July and so looking forward to it. Dot

The entire duration of your stay at HMC, Ships usually call there from 8-4. Tender service begins shortly thereafter.

Last tender to the ship is normally 3:30PM.

15 cabanas, and probably enough room for 15 more. Despite the additional revenue 15 additional cabanas would generate, I doubt they would want to litter the entire beach with cabanas.

Who knows what the future might hold?

I thought of this after I posted that, there would be no beach left in that case! LOL! It just seems like you have to literally make a mad dash to get one!!

How do you rent them in advance for Carnival? I see there may be an extra charge to do that, but I dont see that anyone has said how to.

Also, if you dont tell them that you have extra people and you have the butler service, how do you get by having a number of dfferent people order booze when it's all you can drink (for the "4" people)?

Thanks

Edited by Kristin1112

How do you rent them in advance for Carnival? I see there may be an extra charge to do that, but I dont see that anyone has said how to.

You cannot get them in advance on Carnival. First come first served at the excursion desk.

Hey neighbor, I never noticed until now you were from Pewaukee.

Yes we are neighbors!! Lived here all my life. Grew up in the Falls, went to school in Sussex and now live in Pewaukee. I really love it here! Our joke is that we are 15 minutes from pretty much everything!!

Small world, hey!?

Yes we are neighbors!! Lived here all my life. Grew up in the Falls, went to school in Sussex and now live in Pewaukee. I really love it here! Our joke is that we are 15 minutes from pretty much everything!!

Small world, hey!?

Been here all my life also, near the airport. Convenient for cruise departures.