Concierge No More... sort of...

I might have missed this on a previous post... but...

What’s with the Concierge no longer being included when you book a Grand Suite on the Freedom OS? I remember getting a nice email from ours last year a month before our cruise, but we leave in two weeks for this years…and nothing…

Since we won't be a Diamond level until After this cruise, I fell somewhat chipped, or disappointed at best. Especially since one of the reasons to book a GS is get a little of that extra attention.

What have you all heard?

I might have missed this on a previous post... but...

What’s with the Concierge no longer being included when you book a Grand Suite on the Freedom OS? I remember getting a nice email from ours last year a month before our cruise, but we leave in two weeks for this years…and nothing…

Since we won't be a Diamond level until After this cruise, I fell somewhat chipped, or disappointed at best. Especially since one of the reasons to book a GS is get a little of that extra attention.

What have you all heard?

Don't feel gypped. Sometimes the Concierge contacts you before your cruise, and sometimes s/he doesn't. And you still have two and a half weeks before you cruise. Be patient.

Or if you must, contact the concierge yourself if you have some specific requests. FR_concierge@rccl.com That's an underscore between FR and concierge.

You can still use his/her services on board.

What I heard from a fellow traveler is that having a GS no longer qualifies you for the service (as it did last year). Guess RCCL thinks this will provide some cost savings according to an email she received (and deleted so she wasn’t able to send to me). I shot off an email RCCL but haven’t heard back. The concierge club was kind of a nice get away last year. I am hoping we won’t be excluded this year. Bummer..

Scott

I wouldn't worry too much about an email.

I stayed on the Radiance and never received an email. Heck....I never even received my paperwork and key. I thought the room key was for the Concierge Lounge, and found out real quick and embarrassingly when it didn't work. :eek:

What I heard from a fellow traveler is that having a GS no longer qualifies you for the service (as it did last year). Guess RCCL thinks this will provide some cost savings according to an email she received (and deleted so she wasn’t able to send to me). I shot off an email RCCL but haven’t heard back. The concierge club was kind of a nice get away last year. I am hoping we won’t be excluded this year. Bummer..

Scott

they have cut Diamond access on many ships but not suites, you will even have reserved seats at the pool and shows. Your fellow traveler has his info mixed up.

Scott

This "person" is completely incorrect. GS is very much a full suite, and its occupants receive all suite amenities and privileges.

That's ridiculous

Just do the math

8 OS (2 adults)

1 RS (2 adults)

4 FS (4 adults)

1 PS (6 adults)

this equals approx 50 people in the CL...some will go to the diamond lounge...the poor concierge will have very little to do...that would be crazy.:eek:

I have heard that no matter what you must be a Diamond member to get all the benefits - on the smaller ships where there isn't a diamond lounge - they will have special evenings for Diamond and Diamond plus members - but if you haven't achieved Diamond status, your not entitled to the perk of the Diamond lounge - we are going on the Grandeur in January and will be new Diamond members and we were told by Royal Carribean that we will have special gatherings and meetings for us - so who knows, they may change their minds on that too:)

I have heard that no matter what you must be a Diamond member to get all the benefits - on the smaller ships where there isn't a diamond lounge - they will have special evenings for Diamond and Diamond plus members - but if you haven't achieved Diamond status, your not entitled to the perk of the Diamond lounge - we are going on the Grandeur in January and will be new Diamond members and we were told by Royal Carribean that we will have special gatherings and meetings for us - so who knows, they may change their minds on that too:)

Did you read your post? You have to be a diamond member to use the diamond lounge. You have to be in a Grand Suite or higher or Diamond + to use the concierge lounge. On ships without a diamond lounge, diamond members will have a discounted happy hour with 25% off cocktails and free wine and champagne.

I have a question....so what will they be doing for the diamond + and suite guests on the ships that don't have a concierge or diamond lounge? :)

The Diamond Member benefits were the ones downgraded the most lately :confused:

###

Did you read your post? You have to be a diamond member to use the diamond lounge. You have to be in a Grand Suite or higher or Diamond + to use the concierge lounge. On ships without a diamond lounge, diamond members will have a discounted happy hour with 25% off cocktails and free wine and champagne.

I have a question....so what will they be doing for the diamond + and suite guests on the ships that don't have a concierge or diamond lounge? :)

Patti...........so far........nothing! It's been that way since the beginning of the concierge lounge.

The interesting story will be how the ships handle the Diamond members.....that do nothing for the suite guests!

Oh, by the way.........I was given a bottle of excellent Scotch last week, on our Mariner cruise...........for being a suite guest. This came from the shops.......along with some other goodies........but it was a very nice gesture of the shops...........and could be consumed onboard!!.:D

Rick

Those gatherings will be held in the Viking Crown Lounge. Quite frankly, a bit out of the way for a cocktail you pay for, or cheap wine and champagne.

Those gatherings will be held in the Viking Crown Lounge. Quite frankly, a bit out of the way for a cocktail you pay for, or cheap wine and champagne.

The Viking Crown, a bit out of the way??? that is like saying the Windjammer / Main Dining Room or Theatre is out of the way. it all depends where you are on the ship at the time.

I have a Grand Suite on the Serenade leaving this week and the concierge emailed me on Monday. He was able to book Portofino for me on the night I wanted and I'll be able to use my OBC for it. We emailed back and forth several times and it felt like I was already on the ship. A very nice touch.

I also wanted to say that the customer service I have received via emails or phone calls to RCI has been very good. No complaints whatsoever.

I even go a residence discount for the Grand Suite for only a few dollars higher then I had originally paid for a Junior Suite.

I would believe what a fellow passenger tells me about as much as I believe some of the rumors that go rampant on these boards. :cool:

If you want to know what the benefits are it is really very very easy -

Go to www.royalcaribbean.com and look at the top of the page and where it reads Crown and Anchor click on the link and it will have the OFFICIAL listing of benefits for C&A members at all levels.

Now if you decide to book a Grand Suite just read the description of the class of cabin you are booking on any ship. It will have the following for example on Brillance:

Grand Suite W/Balcony

Deck(s): Deck Ten

Occupancy: Up to 2 guests.

Amenities: Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, sitting area (some with sofa bed), and concierge service. Also referred to as Grand Ocean View Suite. (358-384 sq. ft., balcony 106 sq. ft.)

Wasn't that easy, but hey, that wouldn't give the I hate everything about RCI something to rant about.

I have a Grand Suite on the Serenade leaving this week and the concierge emailed me on Monday. He was able to book Portofino for me on the night I wanted and I'll be able to use my OBC for it. We emailed back and forth several times and it felt like I was already on the ship. A very nice touch.

I also wanted to say that the customer service I have received via emails or phone calls to RCI has been very good. No complaints whatsoever.

I even go a residence discount for the Grand Suite for only a few dollars higher then I had originally paid for a Junior Suite.

Rookiedude - We also have a GS booked on the Serenade (thought not leaving until July 11) Glad to hear that you are already having a good experience with the CL!!

Please post when you return to share your experiences! I can't wait until we cruise but until then I am living vicariously through those that go before me - like you!

Enjoy!!!

This "person" is completely incorrect. GS is very much a full suite, and its occupants receive all suite amenities and privileges.

We were on Explorer of the sea in May 2009 in a GS and was able to use the amenities. But we never got an e-mail from the concierge before we left for our cruise.

We were on Explorer of the sea in May 2009 in a GS and was able to use the amenities. But we never got an e-mail from the concierge before we left for our cruise.

Did you make your reservation through a TA or direct with the cruise line? I'm wondering if that makes a difference. There computer systems are not the most user friendly and if you used a TA the concierge may not have had the email address.

Did you make your reservation through a TA or direct with the cruise line? I'm wondering if that makes a difference. There computer systems are not the most user friendly and if you used a TA the concierge may not have had the email address.

How you book, whether directly or through a TA, has less to do with whether or not you hear in advance from the concierge than it does with the individual concierge and his/her particular workload on the ship the weeks before you sail. If, for example, there are several hundred lounge eligible guests onboard your ship this week, the concierge may be so busy attending to their wants and needs that he has little or no time to email future guests. Rest assured that all suite passengers will continue to have access to the concierge lounge and the concierge on all RCI ships that have such a lounge and have a concierge. On those ships without such a lounge, nothing has changed. Don't automatically assume that everything you hear from passengers or crew and every rumor you read on these boards is gospel.:)

We were on Freedom OTS last week & can confirm the Conceirge lounge on the 9th floor was available only for Suite guests. Some Diamond plus guests tried to access this lounge but were denied.

The Diamond lounge on the 14th floor was open to Diamond & Diamond plus passengers, and had it's own dedicated conceirge and staff. This facility was fantastic.

One night while we were having drinks in the Diamond lounge some suite guests came up & asked Concierge Amati if they could have their drinks in the Diamond Lounge as it was so much nicer than their CL. They said they prefered our view and described their lounge as "a cave" compared to our lounge. They were politely told they had to use their own dedicated venue. Only proves that you can't satisfy everyone.

We were on Freedom OTS last week & can confirm the Conceirge lounge on the 9th floor was available only for Suite guests. Some Diamond plus guests tried to access this lounge but were denied.

The Diamond lounge on the 14th floor was open to Diamond & Diamond plus passengers, and had it's own dedicated conceirge and staff. This facility was fantastic.

One night while we were having drinks in the Diamond lounge some suite guests came up & asked Concierge Amati if they could have their drinks in the Diamond Lounge as it was so much nicer than their CL. They said they prefered our view and described their lounge as "a cave" compared to our lounge. They were politely told they had to use their own dedicated venue. Only proves that you can't satisfy everyone.

In my opinion, the interior concierge lounges on Voyager and Freedom class ships suffer considerably in comparison to the exterior concierge lounges on Radiance class and those Vision ships which have them, and do not compare at all to the Diamond lounges on Freedom class ships. The views of the outside alone make all the difference.

How you book, whether directly or through a TA, has less to do with whether or not you hear in advance from the concierge than it does with the individual concierge and his/her particular workload on the ship the weeks before you sail. If, for example, there are several hundred lounge eligible guests onboard your ship this week, the concierge may be so busy attending to their wants and needs that he has little or no time to email future guests. Rest assured that all suite passengers will continue to have access to the concierge lounge and the concierge on all RCI ships that have such a lounge and have a concierge. On those ships without such a lounge, nothing has changed. Don't automatically assume that everything you hear from passengers or crew and every rumor you read on these boards is gospel.:)

I'm guessing you are killing 2 proverbial birds with one response here. I was only making the suggestion to the previous poster that one of the reasons they were not contacted by their concierge prior to the cruise was s/he might not have their email address.

If you read any of the other posts you will see my full agreement about the OP and some of the others not take rumors from other passengers as the way it is.

That's how it's been since day 1 on Freedom Class. D and D+ have never had CL access unless in a suite.

Oh, by the way.........I was given a bottle of excellent Scotch last week, on our Mariner cruise...........for being a suite guest. This came from the shops.......along with some other goodies........but it was a very nice gesture of the shops...........and could be consumed onboard!!.:D

Rick

Which I am sure you did! ;) Hope you had fun on Mariner and came home healthy!

I'm guessing you are killing 2 proverbial birds with one response here. I was only making the suggestion to the previous poster that one of the reasons they were not contacted by their concierge prior to the cruise was s/he might not have their email address.

If you read any of the other posts you will see my full agreement about the OP and some of the others not take rumors from other passengers as the way it is.

Your point about the concierge not having their email address is well taken though that could easily happen if they booked directly with RCI as well. We are pretty much in agreement on all aspects of this topic.:)

Archived