Fly in day OF or day BEFORE cruise?

D & D

Definitely day before - we've always been lucky - but there WAS that one time we were on our way to our Alaska cruise - flew from Charleston, SC - planned to enjoy dinner the night before - all of our luggage was lost/delayed...it showed up approximately 1pm the next day...if we had flown the day OF the cruise........ :-(

Once when I flew into Miami American lost my luggage. It was stressful enough waiting and wondering at a hotel. It finally was delivered hours later. I would have gone crazy waiting on a ship.

I really prefer to go a day early. Only times I haven't was due to work - getting time off - especially for longer cruises.

We flew from Oakland, Ca to Las Vegas several years ago, in November.

Weather wasn't a factor, the pilot had to be changed and the law required some time lay over for the crew. Our flight left 4 hours late. We weren't going on a cruise but our 2 day "extra" vacation was reduced to one day because by the time we hit Vegas we were wiped out.

I ALWAYS fly in a day early for a cruise.

Just to be on the safe side now, I will ALWAYS fly in a day before any important event. Maybe you just have to go through the hell that can be missing a flight or having one cancelled on you to justify spending the money on the hotel, etc.

Tell DH my story. Maybe it'll convince him. (Remind him that weather wasn't even close to a factor in my ordeal! I can't imagine trying to throw that wrench in the spokes TOO!)

Good luck. :)

Thanks to the previous poster who said they go 2 days in advance if there is a connecting flight. And thanks to Von Chap, going on our cruise to Venice who told me about the major Italian holidays when our April 2010 cruise is planned.

We learned in time to go in advance, book our hotel, and read a heck of alot before you go so you don't get caught by surprise.

I hate the stress of last minute travel. I like to get their early, explore if I haven't been there before, and relax. I know I'm close to the pier.:)

Planes are flying full these days and if you looked around the back of the plane or coach cabin lately, you can literally count the # of empty seats open, if any as the gate is closed by the ground agent - plus, there's usually walk-up or standby pax to fill it up good (including off-duty, uniformed crews "catching" a ride to/from home base, etc.) If a flight is delayed or cancelled, you can imagine how many planes flying at 90% capacity or less (if any) are needed to re-route a plane load of pax to their destination in a matter of hours. If multiple flights are cancelled due to winter weather and/or airport closure, the nightmare can take easily 3 to 7 days to fully recover - keep in mind the typical business travelers paying much higher fares will bump & do what they can to grab those few vacant standby seats over leisure travelers on a cruise - as the airline system recognize & reward them for their patronage.

There are good reasons why certain airports have loungers, blankets & folding cots just in case hospitality services can be given to the travelers stranded overnight. Unless we sail from our homeport, we try to fly out at least one day early & pray, otherwise, two days are ideal & really for extra peace of mind.

I suggest always go the day before, Too many things can go wrong with flights not even your fault. The time and money you have spent will be rewarded. Of course if you are leaving from FT Laudedale like we are ther is no problem, just kidding. Have had to leave early because of a approaching hurricane:eek::) to met up with our cruise. Glad we did.

I just had to tell you this short little story. Last summer we flew into London 2 days early...we stayed at a hotel we booked through NCL (Holiday Inn Kensington Forum) which is also where NCL picks up the guests to transport them down to Southampton.

My brother and DSIL were flying into London from NY on the day of the cruise.

Well...we ran into one heckuva traffic jam heading down to the port. The positive of that being our bus driver got off the main highway and we had a wonderful tour of the English countryside. I digress...

We ended up being the LAST guests to board on the ship...and we had flown in 2 days early! My brother and DSIL, on the otherhand, who flew in the morning of the cruise and went directly to the ship...they were the first guests to board.

I share this as only to let all know that there are two, sometimes even 4 or 5, sides to each story.

If I can fly in direct (we live in NY and always fly out of JFK), I am less inclined to avoid flying in the same day. However, the OP was indicating a stopover/change in Denver in January. With that type of scenario, I would try to fly in the day before. The weather and time of year were the convincing points for me.

I have always done a lot of travel in the winter.

First lets start with what everyone has said, weather delays. Siince you are changing planes in Denver where is your other flight coming from for the plane you are switching to, Canada (our winter's are world famous, ask most Americans what they think our summer is like;)). If the plane started in Canada in January we have had temps at -50. This means a lot of de-icing, then there is the snow blizzards and ice storms which can delay or cancel flights anywhere from a few hours to 48 hours easily.

Secondly there could be a mechanical delay. We had to empty our plane once go back in the treminal and go to another gate to change planes, this took 3 hours. The reason we had a red light on the nose wheel that they could not fix there. Another time they needed to change the lock on the cabin door leading to the cockpit. This delayed us one hour.

Third medical delays, someone on board has a heart attack before takeoff (or just after, they will return to the runway they just left. This will delay takeoff for quite ahwile depending on what airport is involved.

I have experienced all of these at one time or another in my travels. Now in most cases the delays were minor but all it takes is once for one of the bad ones to ruin your vacation.

Having said that I have seen the ship wait for a plane load of people for up to 30 mins. In this case the entire plane was full of cruise pax. The place was coming from NY in winter and was weather delayed by snow.

You can find a cheap hotel near the airport in LAX or go to the port (about 45 to 50 mins away) Stay at a cheap hotel there that has a port shuttle.

Definitely day before - we've always been lucky - but there WAS that one time we were on our way to our Alaska cruise - flew from Charleston, SC - planned to enjoy dinner the night before - all of our luggage was lost/delayed...it showed up approximately 1pm the next day...if we had flown the day OF the cruise........ :-(

We were in Miami the day before our cruise a few years ago watching the Weather Channel report on the heavy snow and blizzard in Milwaukee. We got out just in time.

I guess you are right and a winter vacation in Denver would not be a good substitute for that Carribean cruise. :eek: Living in New England I have known people who have received that call from the TA saying that flight arrangements have changed and to leave sooner to avoid that storm. Unfortunately I can't can't leave on my cruise until after the middle of April. :mad:

Yeah, totally agree with this sentiment. Most of the times things won't happen so you get into this false sense of security. But the one time it does it's extremely costly.

Only times we have left on the day of the cruise was when we booked air through NCL. In that case if the plane is late they have to wait for us. ....

No they do not. They are only going to wait a little, MAYBE!

The ship has a schedule, and if there are just a few people that are going to be hours late, they will set sail.

And, as some others have mentioned, even if they "take care of you", you still miss the sailing and a day or two or more of the cruise. Simple logistics.

You can find a cheap hotel near the airport in LAX or go to the port (about 45 to 50 mins away) Stay at a cheap hotel there that has a port shuttle.

Wow! All this happened to you?? Yikes! We were lucky and found an inexpensive hotel in San Pedro (Vagabond Inn, $92) that not only has a free breakfast but also a free shuttle to the port :D. Since airfare is steadily increasing, we booked our flights too. Unfortunately, we will be connecting in Denver, otherwise it will cost several hundred $ more for each ticket for a non-stop.

Again, thanks for all your horror stories -- it brought my point home very well! ;)

Please settle a slight dispute my DH and I are having: I say we fly into LAX the day before our cruise "for safety sake". However, DH says to save $ on hotel, meals, taxi, etc, we should fly in on the first flight of the day (arriving LAX 9:45 AM, cruise leaves at 4 PM). I can ALMOST agree with him except our flight connects in DENVER -- in JANUARY! Can you see my reason for anxiety :eek: ? What is your experience, recommendations?

Thanks!

I would always fly in the day before. Just way too much stress for me, worry about airline disruptions due to weather or equipment. Maybe for a highly traveled route, like NY to Miami I would take a chance during the summer because there are literally dozens of options with multiple airports and heavily traveled routes - but where's the savings in spending a couple grand on a vacation and missing the boat?

Denver in January? I wouldn't chance it.

We are scheduled to cruise on the Norwegian Jewel out of Miami on Feb 7, 2010. I just realized this is the day of the Superbowl and it will be played in Miami. In this case I don't think flying in the day before will be an option. I don't think the flight will be a problem as most people going to the game will already be there. So in this case what do you think would be the best option. We will be flying from Boston. Had thought of using Jet Blue to Ft Lauderdale since I have some credits to use up. It will probably be early July before those flights are posted.

Don't do it! I absolutely adore Jet Blue, and fly them whenever I can, but one serious drawback is they don't "partner" with other airlines to re-route passengers if there is a problem. They also only have a few flights a day from Boston to FLL - so if there is a problem, you are fully at JB's mercy, and while they will try hard, they will only accomodate you on another JB flight - whereas eg Delta will rebook you on any other major carrier, so your chances are much, much better.

We Always fly in 2 days before and 1 day after when schedule allows . Its so nice to be able to wind down before embarking and the last day of the cruise is always a mess at the airport . Plus if you use FF miles theres always more flights available a day or so before and after the weekend. ;)

MPK218 has a great idea; we've always "extended" our cruise vacation by staying a few days after the cruise. Whether it's Miami, Puerto Rico, L.A. or some other port, staying a few days in a nice hotel in your port city extends the vacation. Before, when we got off the ship, we had to go home, :(:(, bummer. Staying at a hotel after the cruise, hey, we're still on vacation, :p:p

Archived