Should we try Azamara in Asia

Scots Caz

Married this year and we postponed our honeymoon to 2010 due to work commitments.

We have amassed a number of airmiles and hotel points and were originally planning a DIY trip to SE Asia burning miles to get there and using the hotel points to stay.

We have cruised before with Fred Olsen (Caribbean, Med, Baltics) and like the smaller ships (also done Marco Polo - Norway) and not being in one place for 2 weeks (would go stir crazy)

I spotted the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise 23rd Jan and like the fact there are a few port stops overnight (something that I cannot see on other itineraries)

So far have

• been to the travel agent and got a brochure and a price for a 1A cabin
  • booked InterContinentals 2 nights Singapore before leaving and 2 nights Hong Kong on the return

We are two 40 somethings and have been reading through the forums to help sway decision

Neither of us are drinkers and not into glitzy shows (which is just as well as there are not any it seems :))

Can anyone who has done this confirm the approx age and nationality mix. The other option is Costa but ships look a lot bigger and not the same quality

Any feedback would be great before I book.

Married this year and we postponed our honeymoon to 2010 due to work commitments.

We have amassed a number of airmiles and hotel points and were originally planning a DIY trip to SE Asia burning miles to get there and using the hotel points to stay.

We have cruised before with Fred Olsen (Caribbean, Med, Baltics) and like the smaller ships (also done Marco Polo - Norway) and not being in one place for 2 weeks (would go stir crazy)

I spotted the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise 23rd Jan and like the fact there are a few port stops overnight (something that I cannot see on other itineraries)

So far have

• booked InterContinentals 2 nights Singapore before leaving and 2 nights Hong Kong on the return

We are two 40 somethings and have been reading through the forums to help sway decision

Neither of us are drinkers and not into glitzy shows (which is just as well as there are not any it seems :))

Can anyone who has done this confirm the approx age and nationality mix. The other option is Costa but ships look a lot bigger and not the same quality

Coata does not compare to Azamara..try it..you will have a great time it sounds like you and Azamara are a perfect match!

Jancruz1

We did that sailing on 17 Jan this year, it was wondeful - as Jan says you sound like you will enjoy Azamara so go for it and come back for advice re excursions etc as there are several on this board who have enjoyed that trip

I did the 'other' Asia itinerary on Jan. 30 this year, right after uktog's. I'm 43. I LOVED it... for many of the reasons you have mentionned:

- great itinerary with many overnights

- small ship which allow for more personal experience

- not into glitz etc. but into good food

I would say the average age was probably closer to 60 something, but I met several people my age - I'm even going back on the Quest in October with someone I met on that cruise same age as me. The nationality ratio mix was on 645 pax: 86 Canadians, 12 French, 184 Americans, 173 British and 455 others - I would say that the 'other' had a large proportion of Asians - a lot of people from Hong Kong. I thought it was a pretty good mix!

If your mind is made up about cruising and your hesitating between Costa or Az... stop thinking! Azamara offers a much nicer experience!

MC

So far have

We have been with Fred Olsen and there is no comparison!

Azamara is lovely, we have sailed twice with them and another two booked. Says it all.:)

thanks all so much for your input - put our minds at rest and are going to go for it.

Have been on to the TA and he has advised the following 1A cabins are available (it is our honeymoon but cannot stretch to suite unfortunately)

7080 , 7085 , 7089 , 7094 , 7028, 7047, 8006 , 8004 and 8005

would normally go for 8 but notice they are near the elevators - is this a problem (and is that why they are the only ones left?)

any guidance on which would be best

If this decision is at all bothering you, check out the August edition of Conde Nast Traveler. They pick this cruise as one of the 12 best cruise values in terms of time and money. Quite a nice article.

We were in a 1A and really enjoyed our cabin. We chose 7088 which was the closest available to mid-ship (which is a good place to be if there are rough seas), and chose deck 7 to be between two decks of cabins instead of deck 8 which has public spaces above. Also, the higher the deck that you are on, the more the motion is felt.

Of the choices that you've given, I would probably go for 7089 ... it has a steel bulkhead dividing it from 7091, which gives you a bit more privacy on the balcony, plus noise reduction between the two cabins.

7080 is very close to the laundry room (which is across from 7076/7078)...very convenient if you plan to use the laundry room a few times during the cruise, but also lots of foot traffic, and laundry room door opening and closing during busy times. I'm not sure if this noise would be noticeable from 7080.

Re cabins near the elevator...I don't think you would have problems with elevator noise. Probably more noticeable would be people noise, but again, this might not be an issue. 7089 is aft of the elevators, and far enough away from the elevator/stair activity.

p.s. Forgot to add that I wouldn't go further aft than 7089 if you don't have to ... we noticed some vibration in our cabin and I think it gets worse the further aft you go.

Without having studied your itinerary, I'd choose 7047. It is close to the middle of the ship and you will feel less motion in heavy seas. It is also away from the stairs and elevators.

The cabins on 8 are far forward where you will feel more motion. The forward cabins also hear the anchor being lowered early in the morning in tender ports. (Without looking at your itinerary, I don't know if you have any.) That's my guess as to why they're still available.

I'd also look at your itinerary closely and see which side of the ship will be facing land during most of your cruise. We always choose a cabin on the land side so we can watch the passing scene rather than the open ocean.

thanks all

tgg - hadn't thought about that but looking at the itinerary - SIN-HKG 23rd Jan I think I agree that sitting viewing the coast would be better than lots of water so guess we probably would be looking for port side so even numbers which leaves us with

7080 near the laundry room

7094 too far back ?

7028 near elevator fwd

8006 near elevator fwd

8004 near elevator fwd

On Azamara, the side of the ship you are on is in many ways academic - you have a bit of river and delta travel which gives great viewing either side. This is particularly the case the mornings coming into Ho Chi Minh and Halong Bay.

Once you are at sea ie out of the rivers/deltas/harbour areas there is no advantage either side as you will sail about 10 miles out

People often view from the open decks - if you want to "view" rather than have a chair poolside (where there is very little view) you will have no problems finding the chair you want.

7080 is very close to the laundry room (which is across from 7076/7078)...very convenient if you plan to use the laundry room a few times during the cruise, but also lots of foot traffic, and laundry room door opening and closing during busy times. I'm not sure if this noise would be noticeable from 7080.

Thanks for the info. We are in 7076 and didn't realize that the laundry room was right across from us. I thought that was a rather large empty area on the deck plan. :D

• 3 weeks later...
We have been with Fred Olsen and there is no comparison!

Azamara is lovely, we have sailed twice with them and another two booked. Says it all.:)

piscean, my husband and I are sailing with you on the Journey on 10-11-09. Have you booked any tours. I am looking for someone to book tours with in Eqypt and Israel. Can't wait for this cruise!!!

piscean, my husband and I are sailing with you on the Journey on 10-11-09. Have you booked any tours. I am looking for someone to book tours with in Eqypt and Israel. Can't wait for this cruise!!!

Hi

No we have not booked anything yet. We have a river cruise in Sept but we really must look to tours in Israel. We have been to Egypt many times and will probably be independant, wandering around.

I did email a contact in Israel but have not heard back. Another contact was Joel, recommended by CC but he is booked. What have you discovered? The shore excurions with Azamara are so expensive!

If you go back to our thread on the Azamara Roll Call we can discuss matters.

As to Azamara this is our 3rd time with them and we look forward to sailing again.

There are still only 12 booked for CC party.

Carol

Hi, were on the same cruise and may even be on the same flight out. We are flying out of Heathrow 11am on a Quantas flight.

I had look at the hotel booked for the pre cruise and it looks pretty good. Nice to start the holiday with a bit of luxury:)

Looking at the deck plan you shouldnt have any concerns about the cabin you have:D

Hi, were on the same cruise and may even be on the same flight out. We are flying out of Heathrow 11am on a Quantas flight.

I had look at the hotel booked for the pre cruise and it looks pretty good. Nice to start the holiday with a bit of luxury:)

Looking at the deck plan you shouldnt have any concerns about the cabin you have:D

We are actually flying out from Heathrow on the 20th with Thai via Bangkok (my miles were Star Alliance miles and managed to get First Class with Thai and a 4 hour stop in the Bangkok lounge so quite excited)

only 159 days to go :-)

We are actually flying out from Heathrow on the 20th with Thai via Bangkok (my miles were Star Alliance miles and managed to get First Class with Thai and a 4 hour stop in the Bangkok lounge so quite excited)

only 159 days to go :-)

Hah a day earlier than us lucky so and so's;)

Brings it home when you say 159 days, sounds a lot sooner than 5 months.

Archived