"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

Let's all hope they have just enough left to forward Karen's payment or at least are ASTA or such and there is a fund from which some funds can be recovered.

I personally would get very uncomfortable with any agency that ran the credit card charge through direct, instead of with the cruise line. First of all, that cost the agency money to do that, an override on every charge they accept on a credit card, and that is the reason most agencies don't even bother doing direct charges. They also have to pay for the merchant account if they want the privilege of accepting credit cards ... another unnecessary expense. If they just call the credit card info into the cruise line and let them put it through, the agency saves all that money and HAL eats the service charges.

Luckily Karen put this final payment on credit cards, though. If by some chance it turns out that the agency has made off with her money, at least she can file a claim through her credit card companies ... telling them she has not received "service," and the charges will have to be waived. Then the credit card company will be just another claimant knocking on the door of the travel agency.

I am still of the opinion, though, that this is some sort of a paperwork backlog and not an indication of financial problems with the agency. I'm thinking that maybe the agency has group space on that sailing, and perhaps it is somehow to their advantage to send HAL one big check covering the whole group?

Let's hope so anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Karen....I've followed this thread of yours and hope all works out well for on Monday. Of course, this really made me nervous about my own upcoming cruise in September. Final payment was made on June 27th through my online travel agent, but when I checked my credit card statement, it does show the payment made to HAL, so I'm relieved. But I still called HAL just now and they told me my balance was zero.

It sounds like you're going to have a problem since HAL has not received your payment but I hope the travel agency is classy enough to work with you and give you some pretty darn good reasons why HAL doea not have your money. I'm really keeping good thoughts for you.

Thanks.

I personally would get very uncomfortable with any agency that ran the credit card charge through direct, instead of with the cruise line. First of all, that cost the agency money to do that, an override on every charge they accept on a credit card, and that is the reason most agencies don't even bother doing direct charges. They also have to pay for the merchant account if they want the privilege of accepting credit cards ... another unnecessary expense. If they just call the credit card info into the cruise line and let them put it through, the agency saves all that money and HAL eats the service charges.

Luckily Karen put this final payment on credit cards, though. If by some chance it turns out that the agency has made off with her money, at least she can file a claim through her credit card companies ... telling them she has not received "service," and the charges will have to be waived. Then the credit card company will be just another claimant knocking on the door of the travel agency.

I am still of the opinion, though, that this is some sort of a paperwork backlog and not an indication of financial problems with the agency. I'm thinking that maybe the agency has group space on that sailing, and perhaps it is somehow to their advantage to send HAL one big check covering the whole group?

Let's hope so anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Let's hope Karen does not have to try to make a claim with credit card companies and that her TA makes the payment tomorrow.

If I read her post correctly, she made those charges well over a year ago. I would hate to have to fight over charges that old. I have no idea what the terms with her credit card company are but the age of those charges (on multiple cards) would make me uneasy. Again, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I refused a TA who started asking for payments to filter through the agency instead of direct to HAL. No way, No how, No thanks. I refused. They have been out of business for some time now. :rolleyes:

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I've become confused. I am Canadian and booked through a tour agency (to use a $100 benefit from Air Miles and a $25 benefit from a book voucher). I've made all the payments and done the online checkin :)...... we sail on July 31st. But none of my credit card statements show any payments to Holland America. They are all payments to a third party cruise agency. Should I be worried about this?:eek:

p.s. To the o.p. : I truly do hope everything works out for you! I think your whole situation will be a learning lesson for many of us! :o

I've made all the payments and done the online checkin :)...... we sail on July 31st. But none of my credit card statements show any payments to Holland America. They are all payments to a third party cruise agency. Should I be worried about this?:eek:

:o

Did you get your cruise docs?

Did you book through a wholesaler ...EG Encore, A/C Vacations

canadarocks...just do what i did today. call hal and ask them what your balance is with them. even though you booke through a ta, they will at least give you that information. hopefully, your balance will be zero and you won't have to worry about it.

We booked a cruise with our TA July 9 and I have in my possession on file a copy of our guest confirmation with a booking number that I have already referred to several times looking at possible excursion bookings. So I know that our TA has booked us for sure with Hal. If you do not have something like this after having paid your deposit I would say you have a problem and better be following up with the TA to find out what is going on. Without fail after every booking we have made through our TA we received within days our confirmation.

I've checked in online and have our boarding documents, including our cabin assignment. All our ship excursions are bought and paid for (with backup email documentation I'll bring). We've received our blue folders. I know we're "good to go", but you all concerned me with the "credit card has to say Holland America" stuff!:eek: I'll be calling HAL tomorrow though! :rolleyes:

Again, my apologies to Karen as I do not mean to hijack your thread.:o

I know we're "good to go", but you all concerned me with the "credit card has to say Holland America" stuff!:eek: I'll be calling HAL tomorrow though! :rolleyes:

Save your dime---no need for you to call HAL. Apparently, your agency charged your bill, then forwarded the money to HAL. Otherwise, you wouldn't have your documents, and wouldn't have been able to check in on line. All went as it should have, in your case.

In Karen's case, it did not. Apparently, her agency charged her bill, then did not forward the money. Hopefully, they will make it right for her.

I just had to double check my old Cc statements for my last cruise to be sure it was posted to HAL. It was. Booked and posted same day. Last minute cruise ,paid in full.

Will probably be booking with my TA this week and I will reaffirm that nothing has changed.

Rich

I've checked in online and have our boarding documents, including our cabin assignment. All our ship excursions are bought and paid for (with backup email documentation I'll bring). We've received our blue folders. I know we're "good to go", but you all concerned me with the "credit card has to say Holland America" stuff!:eek: I'll be calling HAL tomorrow though! :rolleyes:

In Canada some cruise lines TA's have to book through the wholesaler we cannot book direct.

I am guessing this is what happened in your case

sounds like you are good to go

Enjoy the cruise

I called my TA this morning early and finally got them to answer the phone. The response was "Well let me check.....last I heard they were working on it"

He is supposed to call me back.

Final payment was due to HAL on June 28. I think that since HAL called me and put them on the spot.....I might see some action. Apparently HAL has had recent problems with this agency.

I am holding my breathe.....won't breath until HAL tells me it is DONE!

From my conversation with HAL on Sunday it sounds like they are working with me......and ready to help go after them. They directed me to tell the TA to call a specific person directly. Still waiting for my call from TA which was supposed to be within 2 minutes. HA!

Hopefully all goes well and ends well for you!

This reminds me about the local travel agency that was shut down 3 years ago and the owners prosecuted and sentenced. Seemed that they had gotten way over their heads and were not forwarding the $ to the proper companies. A lot of people lost money (not to mention their trips), and the local high school band lost $ they had put towards a special trip to China. The former owners are still paying restitution was the last I heard.

I'm sure everything will be resolved in your favor, Karen.:)

I called my TA this morning early and finally got them to answer the phone. The response was "Well let me check.....last I heard they were working on it"

He is supposed to call me back.

Final payment was due to HAL on June 28. I think that since HAL called me and put them on the spot.....I might see some action. Apparently HAL has had recent problems with this agency.

I am holding my breathe.....won't breath until HAL tells me it is DONE!

Breathe, Karen, breathe ... lol.

His reply of "last I heard they were working on it" is far different from his earlier assurance that all was well.

Think about this: How much did the agency remit to HAL? The minimum required deposit or more? Are your credit card bills that show the cards' payments to this agency handy? Do you have a receipt from the agency showing that you paid the full amount you did?

This agency has a fiduciary responsibility to remit your payments to the cruise line on time. They have failed at this obligation.

Me? I'd probably call the guy back. If he does not have the answer, I'd say "OK, I'll hold while you transfer me to someone who can answer me". This isn't the time to be polite or considerate of them.

Sorry, but I'm irked (can you tell) at the agent's response to you this morning.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Karen, while these clowns are "working on it" ... have you considered contacting by phone the Attorney General of the state in which this agency is incorporated?

My guess is that when the agent says his people are working on it, it likely means they're trying to make enough new bookings to cover your HAL payment with other people's monies.

I am so sorry to ready your tale of woe ... and I hope your situation is resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner.

Kudos to HAL for contacting you ... 3 weeks after final payment due date, it would seem HAL has had no luck getting payment from the agency. HAL could have cancelled everything out. They did not, and I give them oodles of credit for being proactive with you.

Karen, the only thing the agency is working on is how to avoid you and the situation. I wouldn't waste valuable time trying to get this resolved. It's already spoilt your weekend. Get in touch with the agency again, if they brush you off, call HAL.

knitlady037 suggestion is good. I'd try and set up this call with HAL, ie, you call HAL and ask them to contact the agency.

Another thing to check is who the agency is affiliated with, ASTA, or similar. If this isn't resolved in a day or two, at the most, get in touch with the organization.

I'm not sure how the travel agencies are set up, but in the business I work in banking transactions (payments, etc) only take a few minutes.

Unfortunately, in your case it sounds like the agency simply doesn't have the funds to forward to HAL.

Don't be a pushover, you paid the agency more than a year ago, in good faith and you shouldn't have these problems to deal with. Don't wait for them to work on it, nothing will get done if you adopt the wait and see approach.

Good luck, Karen.

Update.....

Have had calls this morning with both TA and with HAL. Ta is telling me one thing.....admitting to owing just a few hundred dollars. HAL says several thousand are owed. HAL lady still very nice.....says TA not telling me the truth and still trying to cover his ***. HAL is calling TA right now....and will get back to me.

Tummy still in knots.....BIG KNOTS!!

Karen, I have been following your ordeal with great interest. I pray the situation resolves favorably for you. I agree with others that you have to keep on calling the TA. they are NOT going to call you. the suggestion of a 3-way phone call is excellent. Please keep us posted. We are all rooting for you! :)Jena:)

Archived