Pax airlifted off Volendam today

SakeDad

if they were in port it is highly unlikely that they landed on the ship ... all the

rigging needs to come down and there's not much room even at that ... if we take someone off the ship by helo it's usually by a basket!

in port they probably used ambulance to get to the helo .... but then airlifted from there to whatever level of care was needed.

get that travel insurance folks! those transfers don't come cheap!

The Volendam docked an hour ago in Vancouver. They must have been on the inside passage and I suspect a Canadian Helecopter took the passenger off the ship. Medical Emergencies do happen at Sea.

looks like they were in the Inside Passage heading to Vancouver. Maybe they took the passenger to Seattle? Always get travel/med insurance. American insurance doesn't work in Vancouver plus the cost of the helicopter--thousands..

looks like they were in the Inside Passage heading to Vancouver. Maybe they took the passenger to Seattle? Always get travel/med insurance. American insurance doesn't work in Vancouver plus the cost of the helicopter--thousands..

Could you guide us to documentation that says U.S. citizens health insurance is useless in Canada ?

Rich

Originally Posted by SakeDad viewpost.gif

I heard from a friend onboard a 51 year old pax was airlifted off the ship today, the helicopter landed on the bow. Hope the pax makes it and is OK.

and the point is:confused:

The point is.....Pray for him that he will be o.k.!!

Props to the SAR crews (Canadian Armed Forces/U.S. Air Force/U.S. Coast Guard, etc.) for doing the outstanding work they do, day in, day out, at times in weather that's most definitely not a day at the beach!

Needs to be repeated!

They do a very dificult job in trying to help us!:D

Could you guide us to documentation that says U.S. citizens health insurance is useless in Canada ?

Rich

Please check with your own health insurance. Many insurance companies do not cover medical problems either on the ship or out of the US.

Marilyn

I suppose it is possible if one has a really cheap policy...but there are a couple of really good reasons why an insurance company....especially an American insurance company ...would bend over backwards to have a claim to pay from Canada.

First...costs for our health care, at all levels, are substantially less than the costs for identical services in the US.

Second....costs for our health care would be billed to the insurance company in $CDN which ...at the present time...means about a 10% savings for the insurance company.

All that said...here's hoping the person airlifted from Volendam got the care they needed....and who cares who pays for it as long as they recover!

Please check with your own health insurance. Many insurance companies do not cover medical problems either on the ship or out of the US.

Marilyn

When I asked Catl331 for proof that U.S. health insurance wasn`t accepted in Canada I was pretty sure that no documentation would be forthcoming. Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy holders in the U.S are covered worldwide under the BlueCard Worldwide Program. They even refer you to 4 doctors to see in the Vancouver area. If you are admitted to any hospital you just need to call BC/BS at one of two phone numbers provided.

I did have BC/BS send me documentation indicating this worldwide coverage. Google BlueCard Worldwide for further info.

Rich

When I asked Catl331 for proof that U.S. health insurance wasn`t accepted in Canada I was pretty sure that no documentation would be forthcoming.
I was thinking of Medicare. :o

I was thinking of Medicare. :o

Good point catl331

Persons under Medicare and without supplemental policies are not covered outside the U.S.

I wonder if they are covered in Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands?

Rich

Good point catl331

Persons under Medicare and without supplemental policies are not covered outside the U.S.

Rich

P.R., U.S.V.I., Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Marianas - YES.

Good point catl331

Rich

And, if you have Medicare AND supplemental, the supplemental is not good outside the US either. It's only for things Medicare approves. At least that's the way ours didn't work when DH had a problem on a cruise and incurred some small [thank goodness!] medical expenses on board.

It was a real wake-up for us!

LoyHAL

Rich

Thank you for asking this, Rich.

In U.S., we have so very many health insurance policies all with different terms and conditions.

To make a blanket statement that none is good in Canada is very misleading. Some folks have health insurance that pays all over the world.

I also would like to see documentation that my supposed world wide insurance is no good in Canada. I've had insurance on my mind this week and this troubles me.

Archived