Am I Completely Nuts?

DizzyDallasDi

I've been researching my next cruise to the Caribbean this fall. However, I would really like to go back to Alaska and don't want to wait until the 2010 season. So, I've been looking at the available Alaska bookings for late Aug. / early Sept 2009 season. I did my first Alaska cruse in late May and haven't recovered yet. I really think I could forego the fall Caribbean cruise for another one to Alaska. Have I completely lost my mind?

In May, I didn't encounter any bugs but the weather was rainy and cold. The weather didn't bother me but bunches of swarming bugs would freak me out. :eek:

So, what do you think? Should I book another cruise to the land that captured my heart and soul or start tanning for a Caribbean cruise?

Please help me...I'm ready to push the "buy now" button on either one. Has anyone taken 2 Alaska cruises in the same season? If so, was it worth it?

Thanks for your guidance!

Diane

Have not taken 2 Alaska cruises in one season, but was very tempted last year. Do it -- obviously you are another one who has become addicted to that beautiful soul-touching land. Recognize you'll continue to need to go back :) I'm working on next year's AK cruise, though DH doesn't know it yet.

We live in the Vancouver area and have done Alaska cruise 3 times in 4 years, including this May. We are actually doing a 4 day short to Ketchikan and back in September. Alaska is beautiful and I don't think I will get sick of it. I suggest if you are going to do this year again to go ahead and also spend some time in Vancouver. We are having some awesome weather and September is beautiful on the West Coast.

Cheers

It's hard to get enough of Alaska! My advice, if you decide to book another one so soon after your last one, is to look for an itinerary that's as different as possible from the cruise you just took, and/or completely different excursions. Keeps things fresher. We did our first Alaska cruise in August of '05 and our second in May of '06 ... and we had a little bit of "been there done that" feeling in some of the ports, only because it had not been too long between visits.

Sept 11 B/B will be our 3rd trip to Alaska. There is something about the beauty of the inside passage, the small towns where you disembark in the centre of town and the happy crew that make it unforgettable.Lying in bed watching the town lights as you glide by is magical. That of course is in a verandah. I am hoping the upgrade fairy will visit.My philosophy is ask for what you want 100% of the time. You will get it more often than if you never ask. You already have the no answer.

We did Alaska two years ago in September, the last cruise of the season.

No bugs, light rain in Skagway, otherwise beautiful.

Plus soverners half price-end of season sales.

Go for it.;)

We did end of season last year, and were expecting to be disappointed, but no! There were tons of whales (the Sitka whale festival is in NOVEMBER!), sales, etc., just no puffins. But we were able to see the Johns Hopkins glacier, which is normally closed to cruise traffic because of harbor seals pupping, but that was all over. Just be prepared for shorter days (daylight).

Ditto Sailorgirls comment about finding a different itinerary, though, frankly, I'd include Sitka on every itinerary if I could! I was disappointed on our Mexico cruise and finally figured out why—it wasn't Alaska!

Where are you going that you're afraid you'll find masses of swarming bugs? If you're planning to go deep into Denali, then it's a possibility. We took a bus trip all the way to Kantishna a few years ago, and there were swarms of mosquitoes there. Fortunately we took a bath in Deet before we went, and they flew around us but didn't land on us.

If you're just taking a cruise and not going inland, I really don't think bugs are going to be a problem. Our last Alaskan cruise was mid-September, and if there were any bugs around, I don't remember it. I just remember having a great time.

If there's something pulling you to Alaska, then go. I'm looking forward to another trip myself.

Aft cabin...Alaska......what was the question ??:D

We would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat. I am not surprised you have fallen in love with this cruise intinerary.

We loved every minute ... travelled mid August,blessed with fabulous weather,no bugs and I don't have to tell you about the scenery.

It was our first cruise and I cant think of a better way to be introduced to cruising.

My DH would happily cruise Alaska always. I however have a "bucket list" "to get through:) But you know if someone told me I could only ever sail one intinerary .... Alaska would be it.

Follow your heart girlfriend ...you know best.

r

I don't think you're nuts! If my DH would stop looking at Caribbean cruises for the fall and look at Alaska for late August or September, I'd be very happy!!! I love Alaska but he always wants to go somewhere different in the fall! Maybe I'll look anyway.:o

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and acknowlegement that I haven't completely lost control of my senses. :D I will continue to take 2 cruises/year until the money runs out and I guess y'all are so right...if it's where I want to go, then go there.

Now all that's left is to find the right itinerary that has my aft cabin still available (right Colleen? ;)). Let the planning begin! :D

Diane

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and acknowlegement that I haven't completely lost control of my senses. :D I will continue to take 2 cruises/year until the money runs out and I guess y'all are so right...if it's where I want to go, then go there.

Now all that's left is to find the right itinerary that has my aft cabin still available (right Colleen? ;)). Let the planning begin! :D

Diane

Right Diane.:)

Some of the Vista class ships have really deep balconies at the stern ....get one of those if you can. Good Luck and let us know

Go for it! I was an Island-hopping Caribbean gal since I first started cruising in 2003, but last year DH wanted to go to Alaska. To appease him only, I surrendered; I did not want to go where there were no beaches, snorkeling, spices or freshly grilled spiney lobster. I have to say it was the best cruise ever. Did the Westerdam third week in September out of Seattle (loved Seattle - Pikes Place - coffee - shopping). We do plan to go back (yes, Alaska is calling me, too), but will do a longer, more northerly cruise along with the Denali. I can hardly wait. Alaska most definitely goes after the soul! Sounds corny to some, but it truly is a different world there and it's still in the good ole U.S.A. (well, most of it anyway)! Oh, and the grilled fresh halibut nearly every day was wonderful!

You are not crazy. I know exactly how you feel. I'd go each month of the season if I could. We did the Pacific Northwest cruise in May and going back to Vancouver to do the last I.P. cruise of the season in September...11 days (Yippee). That will be our 6th Inside Passage cruise and I can't wait!!! I vote that you do Alaska again. It is beautiful and so calming. Enjoy whichever you choose.

NetwrkEng,

That is the best logic I have heard of yet for booking a cruise. You and I must have been separated by birth.

I think I will follow your lead and change my screen name to...

MutualFundMgr

The prices are great right now. And I think I read that the lines are going to reduce capacity next year which would result in higher fares.

That's how I justified booking our trip on 8/15....last week. :cool:

NetwrkEng,

That is the best logic I have heard of yet for booking a cruise. You and I must have been separated by birth.

I think I will follow your lead and change my screen name to...

MutualFundMgr

That's a cute screen name. This should be mine...SKID (Spending Kids' Inheritance Daily) :D

Diane

We were on the Ryndam with our 2 granddaughters at the end of May- my 4th Alaska cruise, DH's 3rd. We are going again on the Ryndam in August for 14 days! The prices this year are incredible. I think I could cruise Alaska for the entire season.

I live a mile from a cruise ship port- Nawiliwili - on one of the most beautiful islands on the planet and Alaska is one of the only places that I vacation for "scenery"!

Book Em Dano, I mean Di!

Archived