How do you book a cruise with all of these sketchy travel agencies?

Alaskabound77

I don't plan on changing my purchasing habits, which revolve around a very large, very reputable online agency. I talk to the same TA I have had for years. I consistently get 7%-10% or more off cruise line direct.

To say "all of these travel agencies" is a pretty broad brush statement. The world cruise fiasco is about one bad apple. The vast majority of agencies are honest, have good business practices, and will afford you a better deal than cruise line direct IMHO.

I have used a travel agency for all of my trips for the last 40 years and have only had one lousy agency. I was an agent myself for ten years so I feel that I know what to look for. Our present agency, for the last 5 years, we heard about when we went on the first Grand Voyage to Asia and the South Pacific. They had a group of about 250 people from all over the world and every one spoke most highly of them. The following year we booked with them and have been loyal customers ever since. They take care of everything. We filled out the immigration questionaire the first year and haven't since. Our agent knows our cabin prefence and dining preference. All I do is email her with a possible idea, she emails back the price, and we are good to go. The agency is also very highly rated by Conde Nast Travel magagzine. Hope this helps.

To say "all of these travel agencies" is a pretty broad brush statement. The world cruise fiasco is about one bad apple. The vast majority of agencies are honest, have good business practices, and will afford you a better deal than cruise line direct IMHO.

Yes, I used a broad brush to generate more attention to the post.

Thank you - it sounds like you can get a better price through a TA so they should spend some time seeking out a reputable one.

Yes, I used a broad brush to generate more attention to the post.

amatuer. you should have used a thumbs down or angry face, too. joking ;)

any TA can book a cruise. it is when something goes wrong that they are worth their weight in gold.

We use on of the three large multi-purpose on-line agencies that's been around a long time. They offered us a substantial savings plus on-board credit. But we don't expect much personal service or upgrades. We're satisfied with basic service. We'll let HAL do the pampering.

And they billed our credit card straight to HAL - not through them.

We use a local office of a large TA that works well for us. We deal with the same real live person we see around town but also benefit from the buying power of the large association. To us it's the best of both worlds. That being said we would have no qualms dealing with an online TA or even the cruise line direct. We get a few extra percs this way and their prices are either lower than the cruiseline or they offer a good OBC (or both), depending on the line and their policies.

I totally agree! Always use a good TA. I would NEVER use an on-line agency. (My opinion only - others may disagree!) IMO, one would find it more desireable to deal with a "live" person that you can talk with face-to-face, one with a "real address" and an actual facility that you can visit! Find an experienced traveler whom you know & trust that has been with reputable agency for many years and ask them for their feedback. Call the BBB or Chamber of Commerce in your area and ask for the agency ratings, number of complaints filed (if any), their license number, etc.

As one of the above posters has stated, they are worth their weight in gold if you experience any problems. Thank goodness we have only experienced some relatively minor snafus in our many years, but all we had to do was make one phone call and all was rectified in short order.

Our TA has gotten us some wonderful deals, cabin upgrades and OBC's. Not to mention, we are always pleasantly surprised at the little gifts from the agency that await us when we arrive on board. He also knows all of our likes & dislikes, how we want our cabin configured, dining preferences, etc. It is almost a 'no-brainer' when we book a trip. We just give him the destination, the dates and the cruiseline preference(s) and he does the rest!

He has been in the business over 35 years and has journeyed extensively throughout the world, so we have the added benefit of his expertise and first-hand knowledge of most, if not all, of the places where we have traveled!

Just do a bit of research beforehand and you'll be fine!

Good luck, Smooth Sailing & Happy Cruising!!:)

I use a TA who is franchised w/ "One" of the larger "Cruise" providers.

Her service has been amazing and all payments are processed by the Cruiselines, hotels, excursion providers, etc. - never the TA or the Franchisee.

IMO - If a TA is processing your payment rather than the travel provider, that's a surefire way to tell if there's a problem w/ your TA.

I

IMO - If a TA is processing your payment rather than the travel provider, that's a surefire way to tell if there's a problem w/ your TA.

TRUE!!

The problems always seem to be when the agents handle the payments themselves. Payments should be authorised to the cruiselines only!!

:D:D:D

My sister and dad are about to book a cruise that goes through the Panama Canal. Should they just book directly through HAL and not bother with a travel agency? Is there any benefit to using a travel agency?

Thanks!

If it's before final payment they can book directly through HAL and then transfer to an outside agency who may give them some OBC or a free excursion etc. Sometimes I keep my bookings direct and sometimes I transfer them. I won't transfer if its a cheap cruise and the benefit is less than $100.00. One time I went through an agency and daughter and friend I booked and stayed direct. That's because the agencys booking fee was the same price as the OBC they were giving me but I had the added risk of $75.00pp cancelation fees.

If they use an agency confirm on email that the agency will charge the credit card directly to the cruise line.

Try Southwest Airlines cruise deals we did a 7 day Bermuda cruise inside cabin out of NYC for around $1200 it was cheeper then staying home.................Just booked a cruise for 4 under $1500 7 day eastern $50 on board credit and a free Pinacle Grill............lets see a TA beat that deal...............like the song says " you better shop around "

I totally agree! Always use a good TA. I would NEVER use an on-line agency. (My opinion only - others may disagree!) IMO, one would find it more desireable to deal with a "live" person that you can talk with face-to-face, one with a "real address" and an actual facility that you can visit! Find an experienced traveler whom you know & trust that has been with reputable agency for many years and ask them for their feedback.

Well I probably should not even be posting here but I totally disagree with you. I work for an "On-Line" Agency. You cannot just book online with us you must talk to us in person and we are LIVE giving all the same service as a home town agency and we are part of a huge company. To say something to the fact as NEVER use an On-Line Agency is plain wrong :mad: because there are many many Excellent On-Line Agencies out there. You just need to ask the right questions and know that the person you are talking to has knowledge about cruising and the industry.

Thanks camp637 -- So as long as TAs come up with the necessary $$$, there's no checking or validating or verifiying by the "entity" they are paying their fees and commissions to, I'd guess. Nice pickings for TAs who aren't as ethical as they might be -- can target the big spenders with lowball quotes in order to do the same as they did to Kween Karen, without any responsibility for performance. Real sweet (not!) :(

If I recall correctly ... that's how Kween Karen found her T/A, the one that took all her monies upfront and neglected to send all but a small amount to HAL until HAL got involved some 3 weeks after final payment due date.

I was going to mention the same thing, that's what I understand, as well.

If I recall correctly ... that's how Kween Karen found her T/A, the one that took all her monies upfront and neglected to send all but a small amount to HAL until HAL got involved some 3 weeks after final payment due date.

I believe you are correct as well. And I meant no disrespect to anyone by saying that I (me) would not use an on-line agency. I was speaking only for myself, which was why I said "in my opinion". I would never be so presumptuous as to advise anyone else what to do or what not to do.

I have one relative and one close friend that had used on-line TA's that represented "large, well-known web agencies" and both experiences ended badly. I won't go into the details here, but both had experiences similar to Kween Karen due to the funds for both their trips being charged (on their cc's) to the agency - NOT to the cruise lines.

I suppose I am old-school by preferring to meet face-to-face with the person(s) with whom I am dealing. I enjoy walking into their place of business and shaking their hand, having a chat over a nice cup of coffee and looking them in the eye when I talk. I like knowing that if there is a problem, a question, or a change in plans, I am able to visit an actual physical location and discuss things in person. And I believe in supporting the folks who live and work in my area. That is just "me", and what works for me will not necessarily work for someone else. So please - no offense meant to anyone!

As has been previously stated by myself and other posters, a bit of research and a lot of questions will work wonders - no matter what you are buying or from whom you buy!

Smooth Sailing to Everyone! :)

I have one relative and one close friend that had used on-line TA's that represented "large, well-known web agencies" and both experiences ended badly. I won't go into the details here, but both had experiences similar to Kween Karen due to the funds for both their trips being charged (on their cc's) to the agency - NOT to the cruise lines.

I suppose I am old-school by preferring to meet face-to-face with the person(s) with whom I am dealing. I enjoy walking into their place of business and shaking their hand, having a chat over a nice cup of coffee and looking them in the eye when I talk. I like knowing that if there is a problem, a question, or a change in plans, I am able to visit an actual physical location and discuss things in person. And I believe in supporting the folks who live and work in my area. That is just "me", and what works for me will not necessarily work for someone else. So please - no offense meant to anyone!

Using a neighborhood brick & mortar agency is no guarantee that what happened to Karen can't happen to you. Personal experience in that regard taught me that lesson.

My documents didn't come, and didn't come, and .... Every time I went in to check, there was always some song and dance story, and eventually it was the day before the cruise. That was the first time I heard the term "pier pick-up". The documents were at the pier, but shortly after I returned from the cruise, the whole scheme came apart. I squeaked by, but others weren't so fortunate.

My sister and dad are about to book a cruise that goes through the Panama Canal. Should they just book directly through HAL and not bother with a travel agency? Is there any benefit to using a travel agency?

Thanks!

My husband and I book with a small local agency in our town. Our agent specifically, is a DEAR friend -Laurie. 20 years ago my Dad died 2000 miles away in New England on the 4th of July. I called the owner of the Agency on a MAJOR holiday. within 2 hours we had tickets in hand for an EARLY morning flight and I was with my Mom & Sister shortly after noon. I realize that booking proceedures have changed dramatically but MY loyalty lies with THIS Travel agency who were there for ME when I needed them - and who, I'm sure- will be there if need be again! :) ......Anne

We use both from time to time. I have to say that bricks and mortar is not a sign of financial stabilty-only that the first and last month's rent was paid.at some point in time. Many large agencies may appear to be large w/many offices but may in fact just be independent franchisees. We have had excellent service from both types but in some ways I prefer on line because that is how I do business all day long...it is immediate. We always ask about payment, any agent not having a cruise billed by the cruise ship company is giving up 3-6 percent to the credit card company. Thin margins and high costs preclude that in today's competitive market. It is a sure sign that something is amiss.

Once we decide on which cruise and cabin category we simply price-out the cruise on the HA website and several on-line TA web sites who we have learned to trust. Whoever has the best price gets our business. After booking more than 50 cruises on the internet we have always found at least one TA who had a better price (and other things such as on-board-credits, pre-paid gratutities, etc) than the cruise line's own web site.

Hank

Archived