Does size matter ???

YeaYeaYea

:eek: Not that.............when it comes to the ship you choose do you think of the size ship when booking???? Then the next question is well.........small or large?? I like the Vista class ships they are big but the ratio of crew to passengers is a great mix. On our trip with the Zuiderdam we had no lines for dinner, allways a great seat for the show, short lines for port days and a great mix of people. Some young folks to make the party loud and some older folks to make for some real classy evenings. We even had a 87 year old lady that shut down the crows nest each night drinking anyone under the table......she was awesome.:cool:

Wow! I can't wait to see the picture Pipedreams posts about this topic...

I do chose a ship (and other things) for size. It does matter, to me at least. Not too big, but not too small, either. I don't see myself on a mega ship but I also don't see myself on a yacht with 200 other guests. I don't want to know that much about anyone, I guess!

mapdraw.gif

In Alaska, yes...

On a smaller ship may feel the motion of the ocean more. DH is very sensitive to that... ginger pills, patches, electric shock therapy :D (the electric pulse wristband).

The only day we felt a bit crowded (Ryndam) was on a sea day during the lido cookout. Everyone was a captive audience to grilled salmon.

When we were on the Westerdam, a Vista, I never felt like I was on a large ship. Nothing was very crowded except maybe the Crows Nest and the bow when we were at Glacier Bay.

On our most recent two cruises (April and July) we sailed on the Eurodam and we have sailed on the Westerdam twice. We have enjoyed all of our HAL cruises and ships, but prefer the smaller ships with the Prinsendam being our favorite.

Smaller is better, I think. However, there is so much more into planning a cruise that I rarely think about it. But! I won't be on the mega-ships with all those crazy malls and mountain climbing and foolishness. I love that word. Foolishness.:)

I was stationed on the USS Nimitz cvn 68 during my time with my uncle Sam now that was 6800 men ships company and airwing, plus we were the flag ship for the cruise adding admiral staff 7200 lets just say the lines for a sitdown meal were LONG. I would set my watch to go off at 3:00am no matter when I worked to eat breakfast everyday somtimes it was your only chance to get a meal, without standing in a 3 hour line. CROWDED like Times Square at Midnight New Years eve CROWDED

I was stationed on the USS Nimitz cvn 68 during my time with my uncle Sam now that was 6800 men ships company and airwing, plus we were the flag ship for the cruise adding admiral staff 7200 lets just say the lines for a sitdown meal were LONG. I would set my watch to go off at 3:00am no matter when I worked to eat breakfast everyday somtimes it was your only chance to get a meal, without standing in a 3 hour line. CROWDED like Times Square at Midnight New Years eve CROWDED

"Days of Future Past" - USS Oriskany, USS Enterprise, and USS Hancock - remember the chow lines well. Things got a lot better in the "Chief's Mess":D.

We consider the ship size before anything else - after one trip on the Prinsendam, we always check to see where she will be before deciding on a cruise. I just enjoy being on a ship and getting lots of sea days - ports are a secondary consideration. The Prinsendam may be relatively small but she handles the North Atlantic much better than a 40 ft. sailboat!!!

G.

I like to cruise and the ship size does not matter. The smallest ship I was on was Empress of the Seas! you could really feel the waves / motion I loved it. :D I was rocked to sleep every night.......... just like a baby!!

I found that on a longish cruise, the size of the ship does make a difference. At least, for me. I was on a 34 day cruise aboard the old Royal Princess, now the Artemis. Great cruise and itinerary, but I was ready to get off after 34 days. She was too small for that length of time. Inadequate different venues; I found myself going to the same places on the ship almost every day. On the other hand, I have enjoyed long cruises aboard the Volendam and the Amsterdam and was not ready to disembark when the cruise was over. Because of that experience, I have been reluctant to book the Prinsendam.

Its all a matter of opinion, I'm sure, but I am not interested in the mega ships. The Vista class are big enough and we were concerned the first time we cruised the Oosterdam but we never felt crowded at all. We loved the Zaandam and the Volendam, also. We were on the Veendam several years ago and it was very crowded. I'm not sure why that was but at the time, we always liked to go to a bar for a pre-dinner drink and they were usually so crowded you couldn't get a seat. That's the only time we've ever been crowded on HAL.

Smaller is better, at least when it comes to the HAL fleet. I love the S-class ships best of all. They have everything I need on a ship, and it's all contained in a compact size.

I'd be happy to sail on the Prinsendam, or any R-class ship as soon as I can pack.

But the Vista class? Or the Signature class? Way too big for my taste. Which is not to say I won't sail them; I have, and I will again. I think the Noordam is beautiful, and the Westerdam has the itinerary my grandgirl wants me to take her on, so I shall.

However, given my druthers, I would be back on my S-class.

I'm with Ruth mostly. We did try the Oosterdam when she first came out and just found the Vista too big for us, I can't imagine the Sig class at all. We will happily stick with S & R class ships as long as HAL keeps them afloat.

..., I might add, a rather provacative title to your post.

In so far as feedback, we prefer the Prinsendam (a seperate HAL class) & the S class ships (Ryndam & Statendam).

We've tried the Volendam (so-so) and will be giving the R class another go (we're scheduled a wonderful 'float' on the Rotterdam in the near future).

At this point in time, for us at least, the larger ships, regardless of cruise line, are not on our future cruising radar screen.

'Down the road' we look forward to trying Cruise West and the Seaborne line(s) as the aging process takes hold God willing.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

The smaller ships work for me as a solo traveler. Amsterdam was just perfect. When I meet people it is easier to see them again and again on a smaller ship. I think I would feel more alone if there were more people! That may not make sense to you.....but it makes sense to ME!! :D:D

I think I would feel more alone if there were more people! That may not make sense to you.....but it makes sense to ME!! :D:D

It makes sense to me, too, Karen. I've sailed totally alone enough times that I know exactly what you mean.

My preference is for the R-class ships. I love the S-class, too, but I find I miss the mid-ships stairs and elevators that exist on the R-class.

The HAL Vista ships a very nice ships, mind you. I love the Noordam, having cruised aboard her thrice including her Inaugural cruise. However, they're just too large and feel too crowded for my preference.

..., I might add, a rather provacative title to your post.

Made ya look, didn't it? ;)

Regarding the topic of this thread, for me right now the primary deciding factor is itinerary. I am fairly new to cruising compared to many on these boards, and I figure once I visit all the destinations I want to see I might then consider more the size/type of ship when selecting a cruise; in other words, view the ship as the destination instead of the ports. Right now, if I found out the ss Minnow was sailing to the Galapagos Islands I would probably be first in line!

I will say that I do enjoy the gentle rocking of smaller ships like the Rotterdam, Statendam and Volendam; it reminds me that I am on a cruise, rather than at a land resort. However I have never sailed during a violent storm, so I might change my tune at that time! However I will admit that I was to some degree bored during my Transatlantic on the Rotterdam on the three sea days in a row, and found myself wishing that I was on a Vista class like the Oosterdam.

I think I would feel more alone if there were more people! That may not make sense to you.....but it makes sense to ME!! :D:D

It makes sense to me, too, Karen. I've sailed totally alone enough times that I know exactly what you mean.

Makes perfect sense.... think of life in a small town where everybody knows everybody, versus the anonymity of a big city. :D

The smaller ships are lovely an I do understand why so many prefer them. They have a great "feel" to them--easy to get around.

I do like the Vista class ships. I love having a balcony cabin. Vista class ships have an abundance of balconies. On the smaller ships, you can only get a balcony if you book a verandah suite which are much more expensive than a balcony cabin on a Vista class ship with similar intineraries.

So when booking a ship, the size of the ship does matter for a variety of reasons.

I don't think I've been on a small ship before. I do love all the "foolishness" of the bigger ships. The more things on the ship to do and check out the more likely I'll book that ship.

Though I would say it's really where the ship is going that matters the most.

However, now that I read the smaller ships feel the rocking more I may try one of those as I love the rocking of the ship.

I just don't like to get bored on the ship. I'm not a big drinker so the bars don't thrill me and I have a pool in my back yard so the pool is not a big draw to me either.

Even though I don't do a lot of things on the bigger ships I like to watch the others doing them.

Plus I like the big ships because you get more walking in going back and forth on the ship. Good exercise. LOL

Archived