Caribbean Passport Usage - Please Chime In

cherylandtk

Caribbean Passport Usage - What do you REALLY do?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Caribbean Passport Usage - What do you REALLY do?

• I take a passport and carry it with me onshore.
    • I take a passport, but it usually stays in the safe (I may or may not take a passport copy onshore).
    • I use just a BC and ID, they both go onshore with me.
    • I use just a BC and ID, but the BC stays in the safe.
    • I use the new passport card.
    • I use a mix of options and will explain further in a post below.

On our recent British Isles cruise, every day, the Patter recommended bringing a "government-issued photo ID" on shore. They didn't distinguish between a driver's license or passport.

On a recent Princess Baltic cruise, some ports the wording was "government-issued photo ID", some ports the wording was "passport."

Depends on the requirements of each country visited.

It is not that you will always be asked to show it (except St. Petersburg), but you might be asked to produce it to local authorities.

Guys - My comments have only been about US citizens traveling to the Caribbean. Many still travel with only a birth certificate in that area and so they wouldn't have a passport to take to shore even if they wanted, hence the comment about the DL. Not trying to persuase anyone to change their mind about this subject; simply adding my oppinion.

• 3 months later...

I feel nervous when the passport has to be surrendered (Oceania Istanbul to Athens was the last time) but didn't feel had a choice. I usually have more than one photo ID -- two years in a row something strange happened to my ID and faced real problems getting home on plane. Ship ID is absolutely necessary to get on ship but not sure that any "official " will take that as ID off ship. I pretty much carry the passport in my neck bank tucked into my bra or inside pants -- sometimes secured with safety pin to waist band. I also carry several credit cards as for unknown reasons sometimes they just don't work in a particular country or location. Perhaps over cautious but each cautionary step was in response to an experience.:o

And just to be open about this, I have nearly always left my passport in the safe in the past. I may be re-thinking that on future cruises. Particularly in light of the ordeal of the young folks last month who had passports, in the safe, when their ship left Cozumel.

On the other hand, what about those who were just relieved of their passports at gunpoint in the Caribbean?

I've been pickpocketed before; I leave my passport on board ship. Should some accident or other problem befall me, I always carry the port agent's number and I would call and ask that my passport be left behind.

Av8tor, Yes, very true. But the same is true of a passport left in the safe on the ship.

I'm not sure why, but most passengers who advise to get a passport in case of emergency also tend to leave it on the ship, where it does no good in case of many emergencies. Perhaps the 70% who do this don't expect an accident to befall them, or they don't expect to be left behind, as evidenced by some respondents who said they stay within sight of the ship or only go on ship tours. Or perhaps some don't want to get the passport wet, or they fear it being stolen. Whatever the individual reason, it seems that 'in case of emergency' is foremost among only about 30% of respondents, although that answer is the clear winner in the "reasons to get a passport" list. A parodox, to be sure.

And just to be open about this, I have nearly always left my passport in the safe in the past. I may be re-thinking that on future cruises. Particularly in light of the ordeal of the young folks last month who had passports, in the safe, when their ship left Cozumel.

Cheryl - can you please tell us about this incident in Cozumel? I haven't heard about it. Thanks!

On the other hand, what about those who were just relieved of their passports at gunpoint in the Caribbean?

I've been pickpocketed before; I leave my passport on board ship. Should some accident or other problem befall me, I always carry the port agent's number and I would call and ask that my passport be left behind.

Same here. (Think the incident was in Nassau.) On closed-loop cruises, I take a color copy, and ALWAYS the daily ship's newsletter with port agent info.

Cheryl - can you please tell us about this incident in Cozumel? I haven't heard about it. Thanks!
Here is a link to the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=998726&page=6

Start at page 6, post #120 and read through #144 for the full story (in between the varying opinions on the matter:) ).

On the other hand, what about those who were just relieved of their passports at gunpoint in the Caribbean? I've been pickpocketed before; I leave my passport on board ship. Should some accident or other problem befall me, I always carry the port agent's number and I would call and ask that my passport be left behind.
I suppose it all comes down to what any individual thinks is the more likely event to occur. Some think that the loss/theft of a passport is more likely than an accident or being left behind, others think the opposite. It's all really a matter of statistical probabilities until it happens; then your actualities are either 0% or 100%. Most threads on the 'carry it vs. leave it' subject have strong opinions both ways; but that's all they are...personal opinions based on personal history and/or belief.

Here is the main thread on the recent robbery of cruise pax in the Bahamas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1095575

When I leave the United States, nomatter what the destination, from Canada to China, my passport is either on my person, or on the nightstand next to me when I am in bed... I never leave it amywhere out of my sight..... even when I shower it's in the bathroom with me somewhere. I also carry my certified birth certificate in another. A copy of the passport along with another birth certificate is left in the safe. Maybe a little overcautious by have either been in close calls myself, or have a had a friend in a tough situation and want everything with me.

Archived