Pros/Cons of East-West vs. West-East TRANS-ATLANTICS?

DrFUN

We've sailed lots--but never done a T/A. We'd be very grateful to learn the pros and cons of going USA to Europe vs. Europe to USA.

Also: We love aft (stern) staterooms. Are these good on T/As?

We always learn sooo much from the generous posters here and greatly appreciate any and all advice--so THANKS in advance,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

:)

Westbound is better because you have 25 hour days, eastbound you have 23 hour days. (clocks get set back going west, get set forward going east)

As for the cabin location, that's a personal choice question.

Ditto to TrentS' post - we prefer a westbound TA for the 25-hour days if provides and the joy(?) of arriving home minus jet lag. Also, we prefer flying home from a US port because the flight is shorter and somewhat less of a hassle than flying home from Europe.

Westbound is better because you have 25 hour days, eastbound you have 23 hour days. (clocks get set back going west, get set forward going east)

As for the cabin location, that's a personal choice question.

Thanks, Trent! So kind of you to respond immediately. I forgot about the time difference (and I see that Westbounds seem to have extra DAYS as well?)....

Are the wind factor and sea conditions similar each way? (I asked about the stern as I we love it, but wondered if it's extra choppy on a T/A.)

Ditto to TrentS' post - we prefer a westbound TA for the 25-hour days if provides and the joy(?) of arriving home minus jet lag. Also, we prefer flying home from a US port because the flight is shorter and somewhat less of a hassle than flying home from Europe.

Another great point.

Thanks so much, lysolqn!

In general we prefer westbound to get the long flight over with before the cruise, and have the short (well, all things are relative) flight at the end of the cruise. The time changes are easier westbound also.

Keep in mind you can have a northern TA, (stopping in such ports as Reykjavik, Iceland; Nuuk, Greenland; Newfoundland; Nova Scotia, etc.), a "pure" TA with all sea days such as New York/Dover or reverse, or a southern route such as San Juan to Barcelona with stops in Canary Islands, Casablanca, etc. Lots of choices out there.

Been on 6 of em with 2 more booked. To me the ultimate getaway, especially now with longer itins. I do not see any difference direction wise. EXCEPT, its nice to get the air out of way first, feels more luxious that way, hastle over. Love afts also.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with great advice!

I think I'll save space (and avoid adding to your instant reponder emails) by doing just this one generic HUGE THANKS rather than thanking each person.

Hope there will be more responses--as this seems to be an interesting general Q.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

P.S.

I SHOULD have added that the particular T/A we're considering is at the end of a long Med cruise.... :rolleyes:

We've sailed lots--but never done a T/A. We'd be very grateful to learn the pros and cons of going USA to Europe vs. Europe to USA.

Also: We love aft (stern) staterooms. Are these good on T/As?

We always learn sooo much from the generous posters here and greatly appreciate any and all advice--so THANKS in advance,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

:)

I come from this with a very simple approach. The major advantage of going from West to East is that you will set the clock backwards on many evenings and it will make you less tired the subsequent day. When you go West to East you will be setting the clock forward on many evenings making it more difficult/challenging to get up in the morning. In addition, I always think it's good to go in a few days before your cruise so this way you'll get to spend a pre cruise in Europe and get adjusted to the time zone.

Keith

in terms of cabin location (if you prefer sun on your balcony).. If sailing westbound south of the equator--the sun would be on your starboard side. The word "posh" originated as an acronym for "port out, starboard home is the rule of thumb. Believe aft location would be ideal if there is no vibration.

We also like Westerly TA's (two booked in 2010)..more time at sea!

P.S.

I SHOULD have added that the particular T/A we're considering is at the end of a long Med cruise.... :rolleyes:

Ideal!:D

Relax with 25 hour days.:)

Flights from foreign countries are usually so traumatic I need a vacation when I get home!

I think I'll save space (and avoid adding to your instant reponder emails) by doing just this one generic HUGE THANKS rather than thanking each person.

Hope there will be more responses--as this seems to be an interesting general Q.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

P.S.

We do a westbound transatlantic every other year as a rest and relaxation cruise. For those of us in the US, all your heavy touring in Europe is at the beginning of your trip and you have all those restful sea days to recouperate before arriving back in the US and heading home.

For our last transatlantic, we started it with a 14 night Med cruise as a back to back with the trans. The transatlantic was a wonderful way to rest up after that very port intensive Med cruise and made for a most enjoyable vacation.

We prefer to go east since we like Europe in the spring when there are so many flowers blooming, but the tourist season isn't in full swing. We also worry about storms/hurricanes in fall. Losing an hour a day is a drag, but we are at sea and relaxing anyway so we don't really notice it.

We're both retired so the hectic tour schedule at the end isn't a problem for us. We don't have to go back to work so we can rest up when we get home.

We prefer to go east since we like Europe in the spring when there are so many flowers blooming, but the tourist season isn't in full swing.

You can go westbound in the spring time... Queen Mary 2 does crossings in the spring, in fact she does crossings from April through November.

We prefer to go east since we like Europe in the spring when there are so many flowers blooming, but the tourist season isn't in full swing. We also worry about storms/hurricanes in fall. Losing an hour a day is a drag, but we are at sea and relaxing anyway so we don't really notice it.

We're both retired so the hectic tour schedule at the end isn't a problem for us. We don't have to go back to work so we can rest up when we get home.

I have to agree. Only because I have a TERRIBLE time with jet lag going east. It takes a few days to get back in the swing of things. Don't seem to have the same problem flying west. (Maybe it's because I'm going home!) And you are right about spring being an excellent time to be there.. The one-hour time changes I can deal with. Isn't it nice they go both ways?!!:)

You don't gain any "days" when you cruise Westbound, only one hour, for five of your cruising days. The only time a day comes into effect is when you do a trans-Pacific. Then you cross the International Dateline and either gain or lose a day depending on direction.

Archived