Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Or take transfer to the terminal. Check in luggage. Take $10 taxi to Harbor Shops. Eat breakfast at the diner, buy water at Publix, take $10 taxi back to the terminal.

Good advice! I like that one! :D

I seriously never considered checking my luggage because for

my quick Ensenada cruises I walk my luggage onboard. Okay,

dilemma solved, thanks everyone!

BTW, the consensus over at Funville is pretty much what you

said... take the transfer to the terminal and skip the risk of

touring Fort Lauderdale and missing my cruise.

Well the airport to port transfer purchased thru Carnival is only

$15/each way. That's comparable to taxi fare. I'm serious about

finding something to do.

I looked into renting a car, booking a tour, hiring a limo and the

taxi thing. I think I need to get over trying to save some money

because it's not going to happen.

How many are you?

Carnival transfer is per person and the taxi is for the total number of person. A taxi is cheaper if there are 2 or more.

I sent this inquiry through the suntrolley web site - but no response. Will be staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th. We have stayed there before and have done the water taxi twice. Just heard about the trolley and this time we want to just spend a couple hours walking the beach area. Does anyone know if the trolley will be running on Easter Sunday?

Thank you. I plan to book this. Since our family does not eat Mexican, are there other choices within walking distance? Does Publix sell wine?

There is also an Italian/pizza restaurant in the same little strip center between Publix and the hotel. There is a Chinese restaurant, not sure if they have seating, but you can always get takeout and eat it at the hotel. The Mexican restaurant (Poncho's) is the only popular restaurant there, and I'm not sure how the others are. I don't eat Mexican because it's fattening, but I had a salad with grilled fish on top, so look at the menu before ruling it out...maybe there is something there for everybody.

Publix sells a nice selection of wine.

Edited by royalcruz

We will do a precruise night at Embassy Suites and wondered what is the name of the shopping mall behind this hotel and what are the hours? Will anything be open on Sunday? Thanks.

Harbor Shops Publix opens early. I think Total Wine opens at noon. The rest is a bunch of restaurants, an ice cream shop, massage/nail/hair salons, and a couple of boutique stores, not sure of the hours.

We'll be in Ft Lauderdale on Sept 22...staying at Holiday Inn by the Convention Center. DH would love to do an airboat ride in the Everglades. Do we have to do a tour or is there a way we could get to Sawgrass Recreation Park on our own?

It's far, so take a tour or rent a car.

Just got the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel For Feb. pre cruise

thru priceline for 150. Is that good? And is it close to P Everglade?

Thanks Sharon;)

It's not an amazing Priceline price, but it is a very good price for that hotel in February anyway. It is only about 2 miles from the port.

Royalcruz, it is a nice place?

if it's the sheraton on the beach I believe 1140 seabreeze it's a great hotel really nice pool and there's a small bar there that serves food also and you can from the poll right down to the beach and thery have there own beach towels there.

We were there in Jan this year will be staying there again

Hi,

Can anyone give me some feed back on either one of these 2 hotels. I have been trying to find a nice one on or by the beach 2 night stay in the Lauderdale area.

We're on a budget and would like to stay under $150 a night :/ Is it possible?

TIA

Both High Noon and Alhambra are very nice for a 2 night stay. They get great Tripadvisor reviews and are both in great locations. High Noon has the advantage of being right on the beach. Alhambra has the advantage of being about 5 miles closer to the port and downtown. I haven't been inside either, but I have walked by many times.

We will be in the Westin area at a condo a week before our Nov 10 cruise. We are looking for a good 'fish shack' in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Not looking for fancy seafood dinner, just some good fresh fried fish. Also, what do you think about Padrino's. I think it is cuban food.

Thanks for your help.

We will be in the Westin area at a condo a week before our Nov 10 cruise. We are looking for a good 'fish shack' in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Not looking for fancy seafood dinner, just some good fresh fried fish. Also, what do you think about Padrino's. I think it is cuban food.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know Weston well. Padrino's has good Cuban food. Las Vegas is also good. If you like fish, Cuban restaurants make it really good (plantain encrusted and lightly fried snapper or tilapia). In Fort Lauderdale, locals go to Catfish Dewey's for fried fish. Bahia Cabana and Lulu's Bait Shack are good too. I'm not sure if you will find much fresh fried fish though. Most of our fresh fish is mahi mahi or grouper and that is not usually served fried. Most of the fried fish is cod and that is a cold water fish, but at least you can find it fresh battered.

Both High Noon and Alhambra are very nice for a 2 night stay. They get great Tripadvisor reviews and are both in great locations. High Noon has the advantage of being right on the beach. Alhambra has the advantage of being about 5 miles closer to the port and downtown. I haven't been inside either, but I have walked by many times.

Thank you Royalcruz:)

If it wasn:)'t for your great advise I would have never narrowed it down to these 2 lovely motels.

Highnoon is a little stand offish in that they cater to their repeat customers who book for multiple weeks(which I understand from a business point of view) and will take your room away and give it to the ones that have a larger booking.

Since we only need 2 nights I think we're leaning towards Alhambra. They've been very accommodating.

As much as I'd like to book with Highnoon I don't want to take the chance of our room being changed.

So.....can you recommend some nice restaurants for dinner? Also do we need to get tickets a head of time for the Water Taxi?

Thank you for all your help

Cheers

Thank you Royalcruz:)

If it wasn:)'t for your great advise I would have never narrowed it down to these 2 lovely motels.

Highnoon is a little stand offish in that they cater to their repeat customers who book for multiple weeks(which I understand from a business point of view) and will take your room away and give it to the ones that have a larger booking.

Since we only need 2 nights I think we're leaning towards Alhambra. They've been very accommodating.

As much as I'd like to book with Highnoon I don't want to take the chance of our room being changed.

So.....can you recommend some nice restaurants for dinner? Also do we need to get tickets a head of time for the Water Taxi?

Thank you for all your help

Cheers

For the water taxi, just purchase a ticket when you board. There is a stop very close to Alhambra at the end of Seville St. 2 doors down from the hotel is Casablanca Cafe and I love it there. They don't take reservations but the piano bar is fun to wait in. Another favorite about 6 blocks away is Coconuts...they have a daily board of excellent choices in addition to the menu, so you can get a salad or burger or fancier seafood, all overlooking a marina. Lulu's Bait Shack in Beach Place is a very casual bar/seafood shack with good food. H2O just past Beach Place has delicious wild mushroom risotto. There are lots of mediocre touristy places to eat with live entertainers. The best upscale steakhouse along the beach is Steak 954 in the W hotel. Go downtown one evening and eat dinner on Las Olas Blvd. It's about 2.5 miles from where you are staying and there are too many choices to mention.

That's too bad about High Noon. The hotels in that area seem to cater to Canadians and Europeans. It is one of the nicer looking hotels in Lauderdale by the Sea.

For the water taxi, just purchase a ticket when you board. There is a stop very close to Alhambra at the end of Seville St. 2 doors down from the hotel is Casablanca Cafe and I love it there. They don't take reservations but the piano bar is fun to wait in. Another favorite about 6 blocks away is Coconuts...they have a daily board of excellent choices in addition to the menu, so you can get a salad or burger or fancier seafood, all overlooking a marina. Lulu's Bait Shack in Beach Place is a very casual bar/seafood shack with good food. H2O just past Beach Place has delicious wild mushroom risotto. There are lots of mediocre touristy places to eat with live entertainers. The best upscale steakhouse along the beach is Steak 954 in the W hotel. Go downtown one evening and eat dinner on Las Olas Blvd. It's about 2.5 miles from where you are staying and there are too many choices to mention.

Thank You so much for your help:)

One more thing....we will have our own car... if we go to Las Olas will there be parking available?

Thank You! You have been a wealth of information and greatly appreciated!

Thank You so much for your help:)

One more thing....we will have our own car... if we go to Las Olas will there be parking available?

Thank You! You have been a wealth of information and greatly appreciated!

There is parking around Las Olas: on the main street, Riverside Hotel garage, metered and staffed lots behind the shops. A few restaurants have valet (Timpano, YOLO, Rocco's Tacos). Parking meters are the cheapest parking and most of them take cash or charge.