US Airways Raising Baggage Fees (again)

April-in-NC

Southwest is usually not "cheaper" (or cheapest). Their fares are usually higher than the legacy carriers even with their fees added in. You are correct that Southwest's fuel hedges helped keep them profitable last summer when crude price spiked. Their latest hedge has been a "loser" that locked in a higher price than current market. That may change since the US dollar is starting to get hammered.

The rumblings I've heard about carryons ... some airlines are assessing their free gate-checking policy for carryons when a passenger shows up at the gate and tries to board with pieces that exceed the airline's policy in quantity (yes, I've seen people schlepp 4 pieces as carryon), weight (what in the world is in that bag, 60 pounds of bricks), or size (many are just too damn big for the overhead without that one piece taking up 2/3 of one bin). Makes no sense for those bins to be crammed to capacity after only 2/3 of passengers have boarded.

So, yes, I envision more enforcement of the carryon policy but, likely, no additional fees for passengers in keeping with the airlines's carryon policy.

No, this had nothing to do with not meeting the Carry On bag size. I've seen that as well. But this was a new charge of charging for Carry ON's. I will try to find the article.

Southwest has been the cheapest for me almost always with good choices of flights. For instance. In looking for airfare for Nov. from LAX to FLL. We all wanted an A.M. flight that got us in before 7 pm, didn't have all the fee's. I check United Airlines, AA (as I have frequent flyer miles) and Southwest. Southwest was the best fare by a couple hundred dollars. The fare we got for Southwest was $297. AA wanted, depending on when I looked, $350-$500. United was the same. And on Southwest, I don't pay fee's. And they have more room. I flew Delta to Hawaii in May and would prefer to never fly them again. Absolutely no leg room. Stupid.

And they have more room. I flew Delta to Hawaii in May and would prefer to never fly them again. Absolutely no leg room. Stupid.

If you flew the 767-400, it is well known to have a lousy layout in coach. But that is something specific to the aircraft in DL's fleet, not DL as a whole. So painting DL with the "no leg room" tag is a factual disservice. Check SeatGuru for the actual figures, and use that for comparison before you purchase.

Southwest has been the cheapest for me almost always with good choices of flights. For instance. In looking for airfare for Nov. from LAX to FLL. We all wanted an A.M. flight that got us in before 7 pm, didn't have all the fee's. I check United Airlines, AA (as I have frequent flyer miles) and Southwest. Southwest was the best fare by a couple hundred dollars. The fare we got for Southwest was $297. AA wanted, depending on when I looked, $350-$500. United was the same. And on Southwest, I don't pay fee's. And they have more room. I flew Delta to Hawaii in May and would prefer to never fly them again. Absolutely no leg room. Stupid.

I think it goes back to what FT said, that cheaper isn't always best way to go. Sure it is tempting when on Expedia looking at all the fares listed in price order to find the cheapest, especially when talking about something as utilitarian as air travel... but there are distinctions in flying as there are in other things you spend money on. For flights, there are better connections, or none if that is your preference.... there are also more comfortable seats, better schedules, airlines with better amenities... it was hard for me to break from the Walmart mentality we as Americans are raised with, but I have found that I do seem to prefer CO and AA, so I don't mind spending a few dollars more.

I have spent well over $200 to have my luggage shipped to and from Southampton so I wouldn't have to lug formal wear all over Paris for 4 days... I spend money on other conveniences such as housekeeping, car services, balcony cabins... remember, money is supposed to be your slave, not your master. ;)

If you flew the 767-400, it is well known to have a lousy layout in coach. But that is something specific to the aircraft in DL's fleet, not DL as a whole. So painting DL with the "no leg room" tag is a factual disservice. Check SeatGuru for the actual figures, and use that for comparison before you purchase.

True. But many people here use such painting, like "Southwest's fares are higher than legacy carriers." Research and comparison is always beneficial, whether it pertains to price, to aircraft layout or other factors.

cruzegirl- If I understand your post, you are working right into a clever marketing scheme that Southwest (WN) uses and has been explained a lot on this board. Legacy carriers will sell their lowest prices fares months before WN releases their fares. Let's pretend it's $300 RT on AA, UA, DL, etc. All the cheap fares sell out, and a few months later the cheapest *available* fare is now $550. WN releases their fares, and the cheapest is $400. You think they are $150 less expensive and indeed they are on that day. But waiting for WN to release their deliberately withheld fare cost you $100. And they sucker people into their scheme waiting with excitement for the Big Day and making them feel good for waiting. Make sense?

One point that I agree with, WN often has nonstops and/or more frequent flights between city pairs than legacy carriers. That's a plus for WN if the other frequently discussed limitations of WN are not relevant to you.

cruzegirl- If I understand your post, you are working right into a clever marketing scheme that Southwest (WN) uses and has been explained a lot on this board. Legacy carriers will sell their lowest prices fares months before WN releases their fares. Let's pretend it's $300 RT on AA, UA, DL, etc. All the cheap fares sell out, and a few months later the cheapest *available* fare is now $550. WN releases their fares, and the cheapest is $400. You think they are $150 less expensive and indeed they are on that day. But waiting for WN to release their deliberately withheld fare cost you $100. And they sucker people into their scheme waiting with excitement for the Big Day and making them feel good for waiting. Make sense?

One point that I agree with, WN often has nonstops and/or more frequent flights between city pairs than legacy carriers. That's a plus for WN if the other frequently discussed limitations of WN are not relevant to you.

HUH? Not sure I understand.

All I know is that I have been pricing almost all carriers for a few months just checking airfare rates. I've checked the online sites and the airlines themselves. Once Southwest fares were released, I continued to check the other airlines. I finally booked based on flight times coinciding with our flight time desires, the least amount of layovers and price. And considering fee's. Southwest won hands down for me. I've since looked, and Southwest is back up to $350 .I just booked on a good day. Bottom line is what works for me and this works.

Ya know, I've got to stop reading these boards! I'm on my first transatlantic flight in Oct from PHL to VCE and I'm reading how the leg room on a 767 is non-existent and how the over head bins will be filled by the time we board-we are in row 6. It is making me very nervous :D

Ethel5- Don't worry, underseat area on 767's is no better or worse than any other aircraft...and keep in mind the airline selects the seats not Boeing so underseat room can vary between airlines. One thing that 767s often lack is overhead bin dimensions. My faithful rollaboard fits wheels-first in any overhead bin except some 767's where it has to go in sideways. Others having the same problem is what eats up overhead space. If the airline has refurbished the interior there may be the newer bins with more interior room. If the doors to the bins are flat they are the old style, if they curve outward you will be OK. In any case, just try to be at the beginning of your boarding group.

cruzegirl- If I understand your post correctly, how did the fares on WN compare to what was available on AA, UA, etc. 7-11 months before that? Therein lies the rub...waiting for WN to release their fares is usually an expensive wait. But if ithe WN shell game works for you, great! It makes the even lower fares on other airlines more available to people who see through it. :) One place where I agree WN is sometimes lower is last-minute travel.

Ethel5- Don't worry, underseat area on 767's is no better or worse than any other aircraft...and keep in mind the airline selects the seats not Boeing so underseat room can vary between airlines. One thing that 767s often lack is overhead bin dimensions. My faithful rollaboard fits wheels-first in any overhead bin except some 767's where it has to go in sideways. Others having the same problem is what eats up overhead space. If the airline has refurbished the interior there may be the newer bins with more interior room. If the doors to the bins are flat they are the old style, if they curve outward you will be OK. In any case, just try to be at the beginning of your boarding group.

cruzegirl- If I understand your post correctly, how did the fares on WN compare to what was available on AA, UA, etc. 7-11 months before that? Therein lies the rub...waiting for WN to release their fares is usually an expensive wait. But if ithe WN shell game works for you, great! It makes the even lower fares on other airlines more available to people who see through it. :) One place where I agree WN is sometimes lower is last-minute travel.

Ok, what's the WN?

Ok, what's the WN?

You already said you were checking all other airlines "for a few months" before Southwest's fares were released. Some people just won't accept the fact that Southwest can indeed be cheaper than what other airlines offer, have offered, or will offer. Obviously you have done your homework and found that Southwest was indeed cheaper than any other airline you had been checking for months. Sounds like a winner to me. No one airline has a corner on the "best fare" market. Compare and do your homework. Buy when the fare is "right" for you.

Another stupid question.....USAir has published the new baggage policy and for TA flights it allows 2 free checked bags per person IF you travel after 10/7. What is the policy if you travel 10/4? I can't find it anywhere.

Another stupid question.....USAir has published the new baggage policy and for TA flights it allows 2 free checked bags per person IF you travel after 10/7. What is the policy if you travel 10/4? I can't find it anywhere.

October 4th is before October 7th, so no fee.

An airline's own webpage is full of information. If you are having trouble finding it, here's the link to their current checked baggage fees:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.aspx

Note, it's not only the travel date that's important; it's the date you purchased your tickets also.

Here is the link to the bag policies/fees: http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.html

On/after October 7, depending when tickets are purchased, you will be permitted only one free checked bag for free.

Before that, like October 4, you will be permitted two checked bags free of fee.

6rugrats and Camp637.

Thanks for the links but those are for flights AFTER 10/7. I'm flying transatlantic 10/4 and bought the tix 3/3/09. Was the "old" policy the same for transatlantic flights?

6rugrats and Camp637.

Thanks for the links but those are for flights AFTER 10/7. I'm flying transatlantic 10/4 and bought the tix 3/3/09. Was the "old" policy the same for transatlantic flights?

Not true. Graphically, the page is not as straightforward as it could be. Maybe they need a new webmaster or graphic designer. Unfortunately, the "Our Current Policy" is above the quantity of bags ... but applies to the first 2 left-hand columns, and the 2 right-hand columns are for October 7 and beyond, depending on when you bought your ticket.

Not true. Graphically, the page is not as straightforward as it could be. Maybe they need a new webmaster or graphic designer. Unfortunately, the "Our Current Policy" is above the quantity of bags ... but applies to the first 2 left-hand columns, and the 2 right-hand columns are for October 7 and beyond, depending on when you bought your ticket.

You're hired!! Thanks for the help. I was just missing it. :)

6rugrats and Camp637.

I don't know what to say to this. This page has information for domestic and international flights before and after 07 October, 2009. It has the old policy on the left and the new policy to the right. I am glad the other poster was able to explain this to you.

Clearly, you do not have to pay, just based on the dates of your flights as they are before 07 October, 2009. No columns necessary.

Wouldn't it be more responsible to look for the best value rather than the lowest price?

There you go again....bringing up the concept of value. Can't you understand...over on this side of the pond, it's that cheapness we want. Who cares what the quality is, we got a bargain!!! :D

Besides, if the quality is bad, we'll then have something to complain about later. A double! ;)

It irks me that this doesn't apply to people travelling in business/first

Are you out of your tree? Charge passengers who paid anything up to 30 times the economy fare and then nickel and dime them for $15 to check their bags.

Passengers in the front cabin have more important things to worry about....like what year the Krug will be ;)

Archived