Quantum/Anthem tours at Meyer Werft

Hello!

We've completed our shipyard tour and I've got a few answers for you, plus some photos. We didn't tour the whole ship, but we did do the top deck, so we saw where iFly is (and the yet-unnamed giant magenta bear sculpture). We also saw the pieces for the North Star, which still is under construction. The Gondola has been completed (it was built in Switzerland) and has shipped to Poland, where the arm is being finished up.

We also saw four different cabin categories: Interior, standard balcony, junior suite and single. They aren't, of course, finished completely, but close enough for photos. Then, we toured Silk and American Icon restaurants.

The promenade, or "esplanade" (that's what CEO Richard Fain called it) was under heavy construction, and there weren't many places clearly defined yet (with the exception of the future cruise sales area and a bar, that looks like it's likely a wine bar -- Vintages?) This is not in the vein of the Royal Promenade.

We finished our tour in Two70, which is coming together. It is already filled with technology -- the robot arms, stages that rise etc. Richard Fain joked (but I'm pretty sure it's not actually a joke) that Two70 cost more than Spirit of Norway.

Colleen, Thank you for the pictures!

Regarding the Esplanade, from the vantage point that you took the picture, was there more of the Esplanade behind you as well, or just from that point forward? I'm trying to get a feeling of scale compared to Royal Promenade (how much shorter/wider than the one on Oasis Class, for example?) What differentiates a Promenade from an Esplanade?

Did you happen to get a peak at the E1's? Smaller balcony cabin with larger balcony.

Same question here, the E1 has been completely shrouded in mystery. Thanks for the great pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Did you happen to get a peak at the E1's? Smaller balcony cabin with larger balcony.

Same question here, the E1 has been completely shrouded in mystery. Thanks for the great pics!

The one's I've circled in red are 2 of the E1's on Deck 6 & 7 (and another E1 to the left of them I think), they appear to have different windows to the normal balcony cabins also.

image.jpg

Edited by podgeandrodge

The one's I've circled in red are 2 of the E1's on Deck 6 & 7 (and another E1 to the left of them I think), they appear to have different windows to the normal balcony cabins also.

image.jpg

Thanks. The different window is actually the oval window that seems to appear in cabins with longer balconies. It's easier to see in some of the other high res photos that have been posted but the E balconies also include the regular balcony windows next to them. They look nice and long, now if only we could get some accurate info on the interior...

Edited by Dave85

Thanks. The different window is actually the oval window that seems to appear in cabins with longer balconies. It's easier to see in some of the other high res photos that have been posted but the E balconies also include the regular balcony windows next to them. They look nice and long, now if only we could get some accurate info on the interior...

I agree. I take it that you mean the dividing line is between the 2 oval windows for each E1 cabin.

As drawn below:

image.jpg

Edited by podgeandrodge

If you look at the picture of the single balcony cabin, I'm assuming that is what the bed wall will look like. The difference in the E1 and the SB's is the E1 is double the width, but the same length, according to the deck plans.

I agree. I take it that you mean the dividing line is between the 2 oval windows for each E1 cabin.

As drawn below:

image.jpg

Yep, that's it!

If you look at the picture of the single balcony cabin, I'm assuming that is what the bed wall will look like. The difference in the E1 and the SB's is the E1 is double the width, but the same length, according to the deck plans.

Agreed. Looks like it would be just enough room to fit a couch with it's back against the window. This is definitely a unique design for RCI!

Colleen can you verify whether there are two toilets in the SJS? We were under the impression there was two but from the pictures it looks like the toilet is only in the smaller bath.

One of the articles I read said they had a bath and a half. So, one bath with toilet, sink & bathtub and a second with just a toilet and sink.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Colleen can you verify whether there are two toilets in the SJS? We were under the impression there was two but from the pictures it looks like the toilet is only in the smaller bath.

Yes, there are two toilets. One full bath (with bathtub) and one half bath. I'm attaching photos here. Hope this helps!

jr-suit-half-bath-thread.jpg.897b062c5c952fe50fb7966ce4527fb7.jpg

jr-suite-half-bath-sink-thread.jpg.e06c25de89872113f2797225de5f0046.jpg

jr-suite-main-bath-thread.jpg.0912967517bfaf69945df91dbd903137.jpg

jr-suite-bed-bath-thread.jpg.b7605a1c7f71556bd6cc9b893f1a295b.jpg

jr-suite-tv-thread.jpg.59c1a9221b1ec4a74c3189f59fdc526b.jpg

jr-suite-web.jpg.cf4add304e2d13a818e7e932a7ffa3f4.jpg

Thanks Colleen! Can you ask about the balcony dividers. Will there be a door that connects to each balcony? The pics I have been seeing show a space where a door/partition should go. Maybe they install those last?

Hi there! I'll see what I can find out.

Yes, there are two toilets. One full bath (with bathtub) and one half bath. I'm attaching photos here. Hope this helps!

Colleen, thanks so much for the photos and taking the time to keep us all informed. Another question: I see the large storage drawers under the TV but was wondering if there are any drawers by the desk?

Good morning!

We spent all of yesterday heading home from Germany. It was a packed few days, but I'm so glad we had some time to see the new ship.

Here are a few more of my impressions from the trip. I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

1. The "esplanade" did not feel like the Royal Promenade to me. We didn't get full access because they were working on the space at the time. It doesn't feel as large, but I think it will be lovely when it's complete. I loved the "mobius" art, which was playful. What is clear is there will be shops and bars in the space, including the "Bionic Bar" with its robot bartenders. The announcement on which shops will be there hasn't been made yet, but we caught a sign that included name brands like Kiehl's and Cartier. That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if those shops changed when the ship undergoes a transformation during its crossing to its permanent home in Shanghai next spring, as Asian passengers do love very high end shops.

2. If you're familiar with Celebrity's Solstice Class, I think you'll probably feel that familiarity on the Quantum and Anthem. I get a sense of that whimsical playfulness on this ship, with it's bear art (don't judge based on pics; this magenta giant is actually pretty fun -- Richard Fain thinks we could nickname him Harry, or Harri, or Hairy; the German press liked "Bernard.") The Esplanade DEFINITELY feels Solsticey, with the big art and slick, chic feel. Yes, there's no question it's a Royal Caribbean ship, but to me, it's clear there was some borrowing from its sister brand.

3. Anthem will be nearly identical to Quantum. When asked what would be different, the PR rep said color palette and art. If you sail on Quantum this fall, you won't be surprised when you sail on Anthem again next fall (or spring if you're heading to the U.K.).

4. I have a much better idea of Dynamic Dining (which, we found out yesterday, will be rolled out onto Oasis!). The free restaurants (American Icon, Silk etc.) will hold 400+ passengers, while the for fee restaurants will be quite small. The spaces are definitely themed, both with food and decor. My biggest takeaway -- I would make reservations for dining before I even step foot on the ship. Yes, I'm a planner rather than a go-with-the-flow gal, but I think if you want to try a variety of places at the times you want with the group (if you have one) you want, you should plan to use the "Cruise Planner" app (or make reservations online or with your travel agent etc). Also, I just checked for the Cruise Planner app at my app store, and it's not there yet. I would expect it there this week. I'm excited for Dynamic Dining and love the concept of being able to eat a variety of food at a variety of places, but you can bet I'd book ahead of time.

5. I wish we could have seen more cabin categories, but they were not available (I am guessing the suites, which are assembled on the ship rather than at the cabin factory aren't complete yet.) Actually, that's another great point: The ship looks like there is a lot to do in two months, but this is really typical. It comes together quickly; the efficiency is something to behold. I came away from this trip really amazed at how much they have ship-building down to a science.

6. Two70 is smaller than I imagined it would be, but I am starting to better understand the vision for it. I think it could be a pretty fabulous space, but it definitely will be tied in to the shows they put together. If they go together as planned, with integrated music, dance/performance and technology, I can envision something pretty special.

Colleen

Thanks Colleen for verifying the toilet thingy - it's hard from the pictures to determine where the toilet is located in the larger bathroom.

Colleen, thanks so much for the photos and taking the time to keep us all informed. Another question: I see the large storage drawers under the TV but was wondering if there are any drawers by the desk?

I'm sorry! I don't recall that, and I went back through my photos and can't tell, but the standard balcony desk is just a desk, no drawers, but it's next to a bureau with plenty of drawers. All cabins have USB ports, though, which is great for charging.

Thanks Colleen for verifying the toilet thingy - it's hard from the pictures to determine where the toilet is located in the larger bathroom.

Hmm... You have me thinking, now. Where is that second toilet? I'm going to email the PR team to confirm. Thanks!

3. Anthem will be nearly identical to Quantum. When asked what would be different, the PR rep said color palette and art. If you sail on Quantum this fall, you won't be surprised when you sail on Anthem again next fall (or spring if you're heading to the U.K.).

Colleen

Thank you so much for taking the time to ask my question and get the answer.

You clearly had an amazing experience onsite, and we appreciate your reports. :)