Quantum/Anthem tours at Meyer Werft

Someone was asking on The Quantum Launchers from the CC Roll call for the 11/2 Maiden Voyage how wide the sofas in the Ocean View (Category H) cabins are.

Would love to know that and the length for the D5 as well. Had a sofa bed on the Liberty in an ocean view years ago and it was the worst week I've spent on a ship. That bed was not even close to being big enough for me and I'm small and was still growing at the time. The Pullman beds have always been a much better fit but for some reason they got rid of them on Quantum. Certainly worried about going back to a sofabed, especially for 19 nights this time.

Hello everyone,

We've been following this awesome forum with great interest. There's such great information here! Cruise Critic has been provided a rare and fascinating opportunity to visit the Meyer Werft shipyard and tour Quantum and Anthem of the Seas. I'm leaving late this afternoon and will be there tomorrow, leaving Wednesday. Like you, I'm so excited to see these ships and all they have to offer.

While I'm there, I'd love to try to get answers to some of your questions, so please, leave them on this thread. I also hope to take a ton of photos of the progress. The Cruise Critic staff was talking about Quantum this week, and we were trying to decide what feature we most were looking forward to seeing/trying. Dining, trapeze lessons and cabins were high on the list, but I have to admit, I'm really intrigued by the Two70, space. What are you excited about?

Also, if you are active on Twitter, please follow (and contribute to!) our coverage between now and the debut on #CConQuantum. I'll be using that hastag from this trip. Here's hoping for fast internet from the shipyard.

Colleen

I would like to know when they expect the new terminal in Bayonne to be completed.

Hello everyone,

We've been following this awesome forum with great interest. There's such great information here! Cruise Critic has been provided a rare and fascinating opportunity to visit the Meyer Werft shipyard and tour Quantum and Anthem of the Seas. I'm leaving late this afternoon and will be there tomorrow, leaving Wednesday. Like you, I'm so excited to see these ships and all they have to offer.

While I'm there, I'd love to try to get answers to some of your questions, so please, leave them on this thread. I also hope to take a ton of photos of the progress. The Cruise Critic staff was talking about Quantum this week, and we were trying to decide what feature we most were looking forward to seeing/trying. Dining, trapeze lessons and cabins were high on the list, but I have to admit, I'm really intrigued by the Two70, space. What are you excited about?

Also, if you are active on Twitter, please follow (and contribute to!) our coverage between now and the debut on #CConQuantum. I'll be using that hastag from this trip. Here's hoping for fast internet from the shipyard.

Colleen

I would like to know when they expect the new terminal in Bayonne to be completed.

I would like to know more about the promenade (decks 4 and 5). Would be great to see some internal photos. Would also like to know exactly what the "glass enclosures" on the Port and Starboard side are.

Thank you and enjoy your trip.

The "Royal Promenade" will look similar to the Galleria Boutiques area on Celebrity Cruise Solstice Class of ships. Look at the exterior of the Solstice Class, Quantum looks similar to exterior design as well. Expect the "Royal Promenade" to resemble existing promenades with the tile cobblestone look floors.

The "Royal Promenade" will look similar to the Galleria Boutiques area on Celebrity Cruise Solstice Class of ships. Look at the exterior of the Solstice Class, Quantum looks similar to exterior design as well. Expect the "Royal Promenade" to resemble existing promenades with the tile cobblestone look floors.

Thanks for the note. I guess those here on CC who have sailed on the Solstice Class ships can tell us how the promenade on Celebrity compares to those on the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis Class ships.

It's morning here in Germany, and today is the day we get onboard Quantum. I'm so excited to see the ship.

Yesterday, we visited the cabin-making facility where, unfortunately, photos weren't allowed. We saw them working on cabins for Anthem of the Seas. Many of the cabins they were working on yesterday were crew cabins, which were interesting. The bathroom design has sinks on the outside, with a shared toilet. They work on cabins much they way they work on cars: assembly-line style. The process is quite efficient. At the finish, we saw hundreds of cabins on huge pallets waiting to be sent to the ship. At this stage, all the soft goods are inside each cabin, waiting to be installed once it's on the ship. Also interesting, all maintenance equipment for the plumbing and electrical are on the outside of the cabins, meaning if anything goes wrong, virtually everything can be handled from the outside.

After the cabin tour, we did a tour of the laser cutting facility (no photos allowed there, either), where steel was being cut and shaped. Interior spaces were also being assembled. Here's an interesting note: Spaces are assembled upside-down, so workers can more easily add things like HVAC and electrical systems (It's easier to do on your knees than reaching over head). Once that main work is done, a huge machine flips the space right-side up.

We had lunch yesterday with, among others, Capt. Felix Ban, who will be the captain of Quantum. This is news, as previously, Capt. Patrick Dahlgren had been named captain. Capt. Ban has been in Papenburg with the ship since June, and he'll stay there all the way through.

We also attended a press conference about technology on a piece of Anthem of the Seas. I see a lot of you tuned in. I hope you enjoyed it! In case you want more information, here's the story I wrote for Cruise Critic about the announcement. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5961

I'm hoping I can get photos today of cabins on Quantum and hopefully the promenade deck. It seems those areas have the most interest.

Colleen

It's morning here in Germany, and today is the day we get onboard Quantum. I'm so excited to see the ship.

Yesterday, we visited the cabin-making facility where, unfortunately, photos weren't allowed. We saw them working on cabins for Anthem of the Seas. Many of the cabins they were working on yesterday were crew cabins, which were interesting. The bathroom design has sinks on the outside, with a shared toilet. They work on cabins much they way they work on cars: assembly-line style. The process is quite efficient. At the finish, we saw hundreds of cabins on huge pallets waiting to be sent to the ship. At this stage, all the soft goods are inside each cabin, waiting to be installed once it's on the ship. Also interesting, all maintenance equipment for the plumbing and electrical are on the outside of the cabins, meaning if anything goes wrong, virtually everything can be handled from the outside.

After the cabin tour, we did a tour of the laser cutting facility (no photos allowed there, either), where steel was being cut and shaped. Interior spaces were also being assembled. Here's an interesting note: Spaces are assembled upside-down, so workers can more easily add things like HVAC and electrical systems (It's easier to do on your knees than reaching over head). Once that main work is done, a huge machine flips the space right-side up.

We had lunch yesterday with, among others, Capt. Felix Ban, who will be the captain of Quantum. This is news, as previously, Capt. Patrick Dahlgren had been named captain. Capt. Ban has been in Papenburg with the ship since June, and he'll stay there all the way through.

We also attended a press conference about technology on a piece of Anthem of the Seas. I see a lot of you tuned in. I hope you enjoyed it! In case you want more information, here's the story I wrote for Cruise Critic about the announcement. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5961

I'm hoping I can get photos today of cabins on Quantum and hopefully the promenade deck. It seems those areas have the most interest.

Colleen

Thanks for the update, enjoy your time with her and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Thanks for the note. I guess those here on CC who have sailed on the Solstice Class ships can tell us how the promenade on Celebrity compares to those on the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis Class ships.

The Royal Promenade on Quantum and Galleria Boutiques on Celebrity Solstice Class won't compare in size or style to the Royal Promenades of Voyager and Freedom Class. It is more scaled down, not as grand. It also isn't as tall, doesn't span as many decks.

Hello!

We've completed our shipyard tour and I've got a few answers for you, plus some photos. We didn't tour the whole ship, but we did do the top deck, so we saw where iFly is (and the yet-unnamed giant magenta bear sculpture). We also saw the pieces for the North Star, which still is under construction. The Gondola has been completed (it was built in Switzerland) and has shipped to Poland, where the arm is being finished up.

We also saw four different cabin categories: Interior, standard balcony, junior suite and single. They aren't, of course, finished completely, but close enough for photos. Then, we toured Silk and American Icon restaurants.

The promenade, or "esplanade" (that's what CEO Richard Fain called it) was under heavy construction, and there weren't many places clearly defined yet (with the exception of the future cruise sales area and a bar, that looks like it's likely a wine bar -- Vintages?) This is not in the vein of the Royal Promenade.

We finished our tour in Two70, which is coming together. It is already filled with technology -- the robot arms, stages that rise etc. Richard Fain joked (but I'm pretty sure it's not actually a joke) that Two70 cost more than Spirit of Norway.

balcony-thread.jpg.e136c2534a98362ac4a474c98bd10f23.jpg

for-thread-promenade.jpg.4f733f32c7d8b296b63d2c0afc5468b5.jpg

interior-thread.jpg.53128ba5f01df37f1e9c865d0907e95f.jpg

jr-suite-web.jpg.ecfec332e9e0cec6c3ed71db0e6ce8ac.jpg

studio-thread.jpg.1e9c5ebbf8f4b4d8be71ba4546182cf5.jpg

Hello!

We've completed our shipyard tour and I've got a few answers for you, plus some photos. We didn't tour the whole ship, but we did do the top deck, so we saw where iFly is (and the yet-unnamed giant magenta bear sculpture). We also saw the pieces for the North Star, which still is under construction. The Gondola has been completed (it was built in Switzerland) and has shipped to Poland, where the arm is being finished up.

We also saw four different cabin categories: Interior, standard balcony, junior suite and single. They aren't, of course, finished completely, but close enough for photos. Then, we toured Silk and American Icon restaurants.

The promenade, or "esplanade" (that's what CEO Richard Fain called it) was under heavy construction, and there weren't many places clearly defined yet (with the exception of the future cruise sales area and a bar, that looks like it's likely a wine bar -- Vintages?) This is not in the vein of the Royal Promenade.

We finished our tour in Two70, which is coming together. It is already filled with technology -- the robot arms, stages that rise etc. Richard Fain joked (but I'm pretty sure it's not actually a joke) that Two70 cost more than Spirit of Norway.

Thanks Colleen and thank you for the photos.

Does the "Esplanade" feel like you are on a Celebrity Solstice Class ship ?

What is your favourite thing/area so far on QN that you have seen ?

Does she have a feeling of light inside?... she does look rather dark in many of the pics around online.

p.s. on 11/2 Maiden roll call we often call the magenta bear ...NASA, as no doubt it will be seen from afar :D

Hello everyone,

Colleen

I have a question about the uploading of photos to make your own sea pass. When will that be available? I read about it and saw the video on RC but when I did my online check in yesterday, that was not part of it. Any news on this?