Charging Devices in Cabin

billsr

I always bring an outlet strip with about a ten or twelve foot chord. Then you have enough outlets to charge all your electronics on. You can buy an inexpensive USB charger that plugs right into one of the outlets. I've never understood why all these cruise ships have so few outlets. The cruise rooms are typically just pre-fabricated modular inserts. There is no reason they couldn't add more outlets.

I would not trust thee USB on a TV. Once you turn it off it will stop charging. Don't bring those big combo USB and AC blocks that plug in you'll take the chance it won't fit. As said get an electric strip and some chargers to plug in.

Allure and Oasis have AC under the bed for CPak machines

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not trust thee USB on a TV. Once you turn it off it will stop charging. Don't bring those big combo USB and AC blocks that plug in you'll take the chance it won't fit. As said get an electric strip and some chargers to plug in.

Allure and Oasis have AC under the bed for CPak machines

The one that Bob posted the picture of works great. The plug rotates so it will fit without a problem.

If it has a cord you can run the risk of having it confiscated.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I always bring an outlet strip with about a ten or twelve foot chord. Then you have enough outlets to charge all your electronics on. You can buy an inexpensive USB charger that plugs right into one of the outlets. I've never understood why all these cruise ships have so few outlets. The cruise rooms are typically just pre-fabricated modular inserts. There is no reason they couldn't add more outlets.

Would this be an "Electrical Extension Cord" which is on the prohibited items list by Royal?

I got the one Bob posted to use at the dresser for my iPad, iPhone, etc. Unfortunately, I also have to plug a big power strip into the dresser and then run an extention over to the bed as I must travel with a CPAP. the only 110 outlets in the room are at the dresser. The one in the bathroom is only for electric shavers. It really is a problem with the CPAP as everyone is at the risk of tripping over the cord. Sometimes the room steward will bring me a heavy duty Orange extention cord and tape it down with duct tape.

I do have to say it was better on Princess as the desk with the outlet is next to one of the beds.

Would this be an "Electrical Extension Cord" which is on the prohibited items list by Royal?

I did read on a thread here over the summer that IT or electrical people came in and told the people they couldn't use them as they messed up the ships computers ????

I got the one Bob posted to use at the dresser for my iPad, iPhone, etc. Unfortunately, I also have to plug a big power strip into the dresser and then run an extention over to the bed as I must travel with a CPAP. the only 110 outlets in the room are at the dresser. The one in the bathroom is only for electric shavers. It really is a problem with the CPAP as everyone is at the risk of tripping over the cord. Sometimes the room steward will bring me a heavy duty Orange extention cord and tape it down with duct tape.

I do have to say it was better on Princess as the desk with the outlet is next to one of the beds.

I use a CPac also while I bring a white zip cord type cord with me I also always get them to bring an extension if I need one.

New ships have started to place 110v plugs behind the beds because of all the medical aids people now use. Also the lamps are not 110v but if you have a power converter that works too.

As for the comment about USB not being allowed to plug into the ship

That's pretty stupid and doubt If that true

You get the 1.0 or 2.1 amp version? I'm wondering if there are any differences besides charging times.

The 2.1 amp version is said to be needed to charge items like tablets. I don't know if the 1 amp version would not charge tablets, or just be very slow to charge tablets. We have both versions and they are identical in appearance.

I used to use the 2.1A version that Bob posted.

I have since graduated to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Family-Sized-Desktop-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00P936188/

The 60W/12A multiport charger.

Seriously, this is one of the best charging investments that I've ever made. You can charge SIX full-power devices at the same time. Cell phones, tablets, digital cameras, GoPros, whatever.

The best part is that you can turn around and use it at your house later.

My old Belkin sat in the travel box until we traveled. This Anker unit sits with our 2 personal phones, our 2 work phones, and our 2 tablets plugged in each evening at the house. When we go on vacation, we just grab it. It's a multi-tasker instead of a uni-tasker.

As a sidebar:

I bought a charger for our spare GoPro batteries that has both a wall plug and a USB in for its power. I bought the same type charger for our DSLR and our pocket digital camera.

This has made the travel power strip obsolete in our family. All of our stuff can charge via USB now. This is super handy in airports and waiting areas where you may have some time to kill. Places are putting USB charging ports in everywhere.

Edited by poncho1973

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Family-Sized-Desktop-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00P936188/

Seriously, this is one of the best charging investments that I've ever made. You can charge SIX full-power devices at the same time. Cell phones, tablets, digital cameras, GoPros, whatever.

I completely agree with Poncho on this one. The Anker is small, compact, and a powerhouse. Just bring your cables and leave the half dozen phone, camera, tablet chargers at home. Great investment.

I use a CPac also while I bring a white zip cord type cord with me I also always get them to bring an extension if I need one.

New ships have started to place 110v plugs behind the beds because of all the medical aids people now use. Also the lamps are not 110v but if you have a power converter that works too.

As for the comment about USB not being allowed to plug into the ship

That's pretty stupid and doubt If that true

If you area CPAP user, you can request an extension cord and distilled water free of charge from the website.

-F-

I have both the Belkin with the 3 U-Ground & 2 USB 2.1A adapter that bob mentioned, and I also have the Anker IQ USB charger. If I were traveling with a family and had multiple tablets, phones and what not, I'd bring the Anker, but just my wife & I, The one Bob showed will do just fine. I'm also assuming that on a 4 night cruise, I probably won't need to charge our tablets at all, cause I don't plan on spending my whole time on it. Except to make sure it is fully charged for the trip back.

NOTE: The USB outlets on flat screen TV are mostly switched with the TV power, but worst of all, the output will probably max out at 500mA, so for a small phone it might charge, if slowly, but for a Tablet, if it charges at all, it will take the length of the cruise ;-)

dp

I did read on a thread here over the summer that IT or electrical people came in and told the people they couldn't use them as they messed up the ships computers ????
The IT guys need SOMETHING to blame their troubles on:p

Virtually any electronic device with an ac electrical plug that needs its battery recharged can be connected to the 234v European plug. They sense the incoming voltage and automatically adjust. I recharge electronics all the time in the 234v outlet using only a plug adapter (no voltage transformer [converter] required). Do NOT plug resistive devices without current limiting into the 234v, as they will overheat and may cause a fire.

Thom

The best part is that you can turn around and use it at your house later.

My old Belkin sat in the travel box until we traveled. This Anker unit sits with our 2 personal phones, our 2 work phones, and our 2 tablets plugged in each evening at the house. When we go on vacation, we just grab it. It's a multi-tasker instead of a uni-tasker.

As a sidebar:

I bought a charger for our spare GoPro batteries that has both a wall plug and a USB in for its power. I bought the same type charger for our DSLR and our pocket digital camera.

This has made the travel power strip obsolete in our family. All of our stuff can charge via USB now. This is super handy in airports and waiting areas where you may have some time to kill. Places are putting USB charging ports in everywhere.

I use this one as well. 3 kids with multiple devices, enough said.