Inherited C&A Points Holders Beware!

Ok, I am on a plane today (with WIFI) so spending way too much time on CC. I have another question. Now that we have established my kids will keep my D+ status after they turn 18, what will happen with my grandchildren (If I am first generation, kids are 2nd generation and my grandkids are 3rd generation). So my kids keep up the tradition and take their kids (my grandkids) on a cruise. My kid is D+, so now my grandkids are D+ as well? Then the grandkids turn 18, they get the same status as their parents and keep the tradition going. Could you have an entire generation of D+'s with 21 cruise points to their rightful account?

(As an aside my father used to say that it took one generation to earn the money and the next two generations to spend it. Unfortunately for me he was the 3rd gen... I am in a rebuilding mode.)

Yes, the grandkids inherit the C&A level of the kids.

I wonder if RC will eventually do away with this system of inherited C&A status. I'm sure it's nice for those who take advantage of it, but it just seems like an odd system. I don't know of any other loyalty program that works that way. Sometimes with an airline loyalty system, you might get to enjoy the perks when traveling with someone with elite status, but you only get elite status yourself by earning it outright.

I wonder if RC will eventually do away with this system of inherited C&A status. I'm sure it's nice for those who take advantage of it, but it just seems like an odd system. I don't know of any other loyalty program that works that way. Sometimes with an airline loyalty system, you might get to enjoy the perks when traveling with someone with elite status, but you only get elite status yourself by earning it outright.

I can see it happening.

Thanks for the information. My kids are currently 14 and 17, so I pray we have a lengthy amount of time before grandkids. It will be amusing and enlightening to have this conversation with them. They do enjoy cruising and what a cool vacation they could have as young adults, then newlyweds and eventually young parents, to take a cruise and have D+ perks. You learn something new everyday. Thanks

Maybe it is time that Royal looked at this problem of inherited C&A status, people have been complaining for a few years about the overcrowding in the CL/DL, CL now the SL and the 3 drinks on cards has been Royal’s answer so far. Maybe Royal will finally say no more inherited status, sail the nights at sea to earn the points and earn the status.

Maybe it is time that Royal looked at this problem of inherited C&A status, people have been complaining for a few years about the overcrowding in the CL/DL, CL now the SL and the 3 drinks on cards has been Royal’s answer so far. Maybe Royal will finally say no more inherited status, sail the nights at sea to earn the points and earn the status.

I think this is the right way to go.

Send the kids back to their "real" status once they turn 18. Before 18 they aren't taking up space in the lounges or throwing back drinks (at least I hope :eek:), but giving them equal status to mom and dad up until then doesn't really do any harm.

I think this is the right way to go.

Send the kids back to their "real" status once they turn 18. Before 18 they aren't taking up space in the lounges or throwing back drinks (at least I hope :eek:), but giving them equal status to mom and dad up until then doesn't really do any harm.

On the other hand, letting them keep the inherited status is a good incentive to keep them coming back to Royal, which is really what the loyalty program is all about.

So as long as our kids have C&A numbers (they do), they don't need to sail again before 18 years of age but will inherit whatever status we are (at the time) when they turn 18?

Dan

Yes, but for arguments sake, lets say that they only took two 3-night cruises with you before they turned 18. While they would keep your Diamond status, they'd have to backfill the 74 missing points plus the additional 95 necessary to reach Diamond Plus.

When a child inherits their parents status at 18, say diamond plus, but with only 45 points. And they get married at 19 - does their spouse then acquire the diamond plus status with no points (or whatever points acquired from their first cruise)?

Edited by Croozin Soozin

So great grandma, a diamond from way back hosts a family cruise with four kids (and their spouses), 15 grandkids (and their spouses) and 60 great-grandkids (and more spouses). No wonder I can't get a seat in the dl :)

My kids are all d thanks to me, but I'd have no problem if they were only entitled to that status on sailings where they accompanied me.

When a child inherits their parents status at 18, say diamond plus, but with only 45 points. And they get married at 19 - does their spouse then acquire the diamond plus status with no points (or whatever points acquired from their first cruise)?

Yes.

Yes, but for arguments sake, lets say that they only took two 3-night cruises with you before they turned 18. While they would keep your Diamond status, they'd have to backfill the 74 missing points plus the additional 95 necessary to reach Diamond Plus.

I'm perfectly fine with that scenario.

Really, the whole thing incentivises parents with young kids to reach higher levels before the kids turn 18, therefore cruising more. Just my opinion, but the only significant level bump is Diamond, when the drink vouchers and/or Diamond lounge kick in.

Dan

I'm perfectly fine with that scenario.

Really, the whole thing incentivises parents with young kids to reach higher levels before the kids turn 18, therefore cruising more. Just my opinion, but the only significant level bump is Diamond, when the drink vouchers and/or Diamond lounge kick in.

Dan

I agree that Diamond is probably the most significant bump, but the balcony discounts at Platinum are very helpful.

As I said, kids' accounts can be accessed online so it's more difficult to tell where they stand!

Nope, you can! Being logged into my MyCruises account it once popped up whether I want to create an account for my DD. So I did. It´s viewing only so she can purchase anything online. I (or she) can see her cruise history and her C&A points / status.

steamboats

No, they would keep the status that you had when they turned 18.

Here's a better example to illustrate the issue.

Your kids are linked to you while they are under 18, and you attain Diamond level. Your kids are now Diamond too. Sometime after your kids turn 18, you attain Diamond Plus level. Because Royal did not unlink the kids when they turned 18, your kids are now Diamond Plus. Some years later, Royal finally decides to audit the linkage of your kids, finds that they should not be Diamond Plus, and demotes them back to Diamond, which was your level on the day the kids turned 18.

So if I'm Diamond Plus on the day my kids turn 18 then they keep that status after they're 18 and if they cruise on their own at age 30 for example?

What's more likely is I'll have about 145 nights at sea when my kids turn 18. It's my understanding that they will retain the status AND the nights as adults, even though they didn't sail with me on all those cruises?

In a somewhat related note, my ex-wife stayed on my account for about 4 cruises after I was divorced so she's pretty close to diamond. I'm not sure she knows this. I did remove her and linked my gf when I found out.

So if I'm Diamond Plus on the day my kids turn 18 then they keep that status after they're 18 and if they cruise on their own at age 30 for example?

What's more likely is I'll have about 145 nights at sea when my kids turn 18. It's my understanding that they will retain the status AND the nights as adults, even though they didn't sail with me on all those cruises?

In a somewhat related note, my ex-wife stayed on my account for about 4 cruises after I was divorced so she's pretty close to diamond. I'm not sure she knows this. I did remove her and linked my gf when I found out.

No they will only retain the status. The number of nights will be the number of nights they have sailed so if they only took 2 cruises of, say, 7 nights they will be Diamond but with only 14 cruise points and will need to make up the points to the next level on their own.

Edited by Bobal

What's more likely is I'll have about 145 nights at sea when my kids turn 18. It's my understanding that they will retain the status AND the nights as adults, even though they didn't sail with me on all those cruises?....

The kids will retain the C&A level, but they never had your points (nights). The have only the points their earn by cruising themselves.

Nope, you can! Being logged into my MyCruises account it once popped up whether I want to create an account for my DD. So I did. It´s viewing only so she can purchase anything online. I (or she) can see her cruise history and her C&A points / status.

steamboats

As with everything it just depends who you get on the phone. I called yesterday to make sure my son is linked to me, so I can make sure they are keeping track of his actual cruises/points correctly. Guess what they told me?

Nope, no accounts for minors. Maybe I'll try again today.

Hello everyone,

To answer an earlier question and to build on that example I hope I can clarify this.

"My wife and I will have 36 points (6 points above the lowly platinum :) ) after our 8 night cruise in a couple of weeks. The kids are going with. The kids have only been on one other cruise, a 6 night. So they will have 14 points after this cruise.

Another what if:

What if my wife and I continue to cruise without the kids all the way until we reach Diamond, before the kids turn 18. Do the kids inherit this Diamond status forever (even only having accumulated 14 actual points)? …or will they have to cruise with us while we are diamond, before they are 18, in order get Diamond inherited for life?"

Before I answer the specifics lets explain the way the system works.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises keeps track of two different types of Points.

IC and RC

IC = Individual Credits

RC = Relationship credits

Individual Credits keeps track of the actual cruises you personally have been sailing on.

Relationship Credits updates automatically with the highest number in the relationship group.

To be linked as a Relationship in the system you have to be married and you can also add in children to this relationship group and they will be there until they turn 18 as previously discussed.

So for the first scenario here

In the first scenario the parents would have 36 IC and 36 RC.

The children would have 14 IC and 36 RC and because of this be entitled to platinum.

In the second scenario where the parents continue to cruise until they reach Diamond they left the kids at home and to make it more interesting we say that on one of the cruise the father could not go because he got a promotion and needs to be at work and canceled last minute but still let the mother travel.

Mother: IC 81 & RC 81

Father: IC 74 & RC 81

Kids: IC 14 & RC 81

Here everyone is considered a Diamond member for life because the mother still completed the cruise.

Everyone will keep this level but to advance to Diamond + (175) points the kids would have to gather 161 points, The father 101 points while the mother would only need another 94 points.

I hope this answer have helped to explain how it works.

If anything is unclear about the relationship process feel free to ask and I will answer if I am able.

"As with everything it just depends who you get on the phone. I called yesterday to make sure my son is linked to me, so I can make sure they are keeping track of his actual cruises/points correctly. Guess what they told me?

Nope, no accounts for minors. Maybe I'll try again today. "

I am sorry to hear this because it sounds like they confused the policy of membership with Celebrity Cruises Captains Club program.

On Royal Caribbean you can have a CAS number if your child is at least 6 months old. Preferably already been on a cruise but not needed as they recently introduced a "Pre-Gold" tier.

As for Celebrity cruises Captains club there is a 18 year old limit to join as per terms and conditions.

If they deny an account to be made please ask the representative to go and read the terms and conditions for Crown & Anchor and then email you their loyalty number once they have created the account :p

"As with everything it just depends who you get on the phone. I called yesterday to make sure my son is linked to me, so I can make sure they are keeping track of his actual cruises/points correctly. Guess what they told me?

Nope, no accounts for minors. Maybe I'll try again today. "On Royal Caribbean you can have a CAS number if your child is at least 6 months old. Preferably already been on a cruise but not needed as they recently introduced a "Pre-Gold" tier.

If they deny an account to be made please ask the representative to go and read the terms and conditions for Crown & Anchor and then email you their loyalty number once they have created the account :p

Let me clarify. My son has a C&A number already. I'm referring to an online account so I can watch his points and cruises.