Inherited C&A Points Holders Beware!

Now I won't feel guilty about spending their inheritance one suite at a time :)

I'm all for that. My parents have taken quite a few vacations in the last decade or so, sometimes even taking all of the kids and grandkids with them. I'll take that time, and those memories, anytime. 😉

Let me clarify. My son has a C&A number already. I'm referring to an online account so I can watch his points and cruises.

I spent over an hour on the phone with a few different reps to do this. In order to do it they had to change my kids birthdate so in their system so that it appeared that they were over 18. We got the account set up and then I had to have their birthdate changed back so it wouldn't mess us up trying to board our next cruise. Once his birthdate was changed back we lost the ability to view his cruise history.

I spent over an hour on the phone with a few different reps to do this. In order to do it they had to change my kids birthdate so in their system so that it appeared that they were over 18. We got the account set up and then I had to have their birthdate changed back so it wouldn't mess us up trying to board our next cruise. Once his birthdate was changed back we lost the ability to view his cruise history.

So Ken, just to get this straight, still no online accounts for kids under 18 that will show their points, right?

Hello everyone,

To answer an earlier question and to build on that example I hope I can clarify this.

"My wife and I will have 36 points (6 points above the lowly platinum :) ) after our 8 night cruise in a couple of weeks. The kids are going with. The kids have only been on one other cruise, a 6 night. So they will have 14 points after this cruise.

Another what if:

What if my wife and I continue to cruise without the kids all the way until we reach Diamond, before the kids turn 18. Do the kids inherit this Diamond status forever (even only having accumulated 14 actual points)? …or will they have to cruise with us while we are diamond, before they are 18, in order get Diamond inherited for life?"

Before I answer the specifics lets explain the way the system works.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises keeps track of two different types of Points.

IC and RC

IC = Individual Credits

RC = Relationship credits

Individual Credits keeps track of the actual cruises you personally have been sailing on.

Relationship Credits updates automatically with the highest number in the relationship group.

To be linked as a Relationship in the system you have to be married and you can also add in children to this relationship group and they will be there until they turn 18 as previously discussed.

So for the first scenario here

In the first scenario the parents would have 36 IC and 36 RC.

The children would have 14 IC and 36 RC and because of this be entitled to platinum.

In the second scenario where the parents continue to cruise until they reach Diamond they left the kids at home and to make it more interesting we say that on one of the cruise the father could not go because he got a promotion and needs to be at work and canceled last minute but still let the mother travel.

Mother: IC 81 & RC 81

Father: IC 74 & RC 81

Kids: IC 14 & RC 81

Here everyone is considered a Diamond member for life because the mother still completed the cruise.

Everyone will keep this level but to advance to Diamond + (175) points the kids would have to gather 161 points, The father 101 points while the mother would only need another 94 points.

I hope this answer have helped to explain how it works.

If anything is unclear about the relationship process feel free to ask and I will answer if I am able.

Thank you for your time to spell that all out. It is very clear the way you state it. Kindly, Dan

I gave up on trying to set up accounts for the kids to be able to see their history.

Instead I have their Sea Pass cards in a drawer and a copy of the past Cruise Docs and Reservation invoice on my Dropbox account. In addition I keep a spreadsheet to track our individual points earned for easy reference.

Overkill? Probably.

I'm definitely not saying that the adjustment when you turn 18 is unfair, but waiting 13 years to do it and being inconsistent is going to make a lot of angry people, including me!
If this spoils your outlook and attitude on life, your in for a long dissapointing journey, get over it move on and grow up....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ken, no such hazzle for me. As I said, it simply popped up in my MyCruises account asking me whether I want to create an account for my DD. Of course she had a C&A number already and was linked as household member to my account as my husband is.

MadOnion, thanks for your explanation. I haven´t heard about the relationship credits yet and was wondering why my whole family has the same number of points (although my DH did travel as single on a TA and we had a JS together while our DD shared a regular cabin with her granny).

steamboats

So Ken, just to get this straight, still no online accounts for kids under 18 that will show their points, right?

Not as far as I can tell. I had Toby's set up for a day and then changed his age back. When I called to correct it they were none to happy that someone had set it up for me.

I don't see what the problem is and why they don't allow access. They will let the kids ring up hundreds of $ in the arcade but not set up an account...crazy.:rolleyes:

Ken, no such hazzle for me. As I said, it simply popped up in my MyCruises account asking me whether I want to create an account for my DD. Of course she had a C&A number already and was linked as household member to my account as my husband is.

MadOnion, thanks for your explanation. I haven´t heard about the relationship credits yet and was wondering why my whole family has the same number of points (although my DH did travel as single on a TA and we had a JS together while our DD shared a regular cabin with her granny).

steamboats

Unfortunately you seem to be the only one, or one of a very select few that have gotten this to work. Wish I knew how you did it.

... They will let the kids ring up hundreds of $ in the arcade but not set up an account...crazy.:rolleyes:

I'm sure their IT department has spent countless hours trying to allow the arcade spending to be limited, but they just have not been able to do that yet.:rolleyes:

Ken,

Actually I don´t have a clue anymore... I remember that something popped up and "asked" me whether I want to set up an account for DD. And I just did so.

You can only see her past cruises, C&A status and points (all, IC and RC). The past cruises are right on the first site when you log in.

When I linked my DH to my account I always received some kind of error message. But obviously this worked as I have RC points from him (in the meantime he set up his own account for the Oasis TA Westbound).

We were also usually credited points for the preinaugurals but those points "vanished" a couple of weeks later. So currently we "only" have the points we really earned with cruising.

steamboats

Like someone else mentioned its basically the same way it works with their sister company, Celebrity. I am Diamond with RCCL which means I am Elite with Celebrity's Captains Club, I have take 1 Celebrity cruise which equated to 30 points (different point system) a normal Celebrity loyal cruiser has to earn 300 points for Elite status. My Captains club membership says I'm Elite with 30 point and I need 720 points to become Elite plus. So I don't start with Celebrity with 300 points just because I "inherited" the status from RCCL. I have to earn it by still sailing the number of cruises it would normally take.

Obviously I will get to Diamond plus before I get to Elite Plus so I will inherit that status and maybe show 60 points.:D

Like someone else mentioned its basically the same way it works with their sister company, Celebrity. I am Diamond with RCCL which means I am Elite with Celebrity's Captains Club, I have take 1 Celebrity cruise which equated to 30 points (different point system) a normal Celebrity loyal cruiser has to earn 300 points for Elite status. My Captains club membership says I'm Elite with 30 point and I need 720 points to become Elite plus. So I don't start with Celebrity with 300 points just because I "inherited" the status from RCCL. I have to earn it by still sailing the number of cruises it would normally take.

Obviously I will get to Diamond plus before I get to Elite Plus so I will inherit that status and maybe show 60 points.:D

Have they extended the reciprocity to Diamond Plus/Elite Plus? It used to end at Duamond/Elite.

I gave up on trying to set up accounts for the kids to be able to see their history.

Instead I have their Sea Pass cards in a drawer and a copy of the past Cruise Docs and Reservation invoice on my Dropbox account. In addition I keep a spreadsheet to track our individual points earned for easy reference.

Overkill? Probably.

Definitely not overkill! My husband cruised a lot when he was a child, and only recently looked at getting the points added - it amazed me that RC had no records of what ships had sailed where and when. We had to dig through old photos to show he'd been on board (luckily my mother in law had the official photos :-) ), and find old newspaper adverts with cruise dates to prove how long the cruises had been before we got it sorted out.

If this spoils your outlook and attitude on life, your in for a long dissapointing journey, get over it move on and grow up....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats a bit nasty. We all react differently and have a right to be disappointed.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately you seem to be the only one, or one of a very select few that have gotten this to work. Wish I knew how you did it.

This happened for my youngest, the last one to turn 18. Maybe I looked at MyCruises after he turned 18? Anyway I saw the link to 'add a family member' and I clicked it. At first, his new online account showed him as having as many points as I did, as well as my level. A few weeks later, his 'real' points showed, while retaining his status. I'm pretty sure he was linked to our account before he turned 18.

Edited by marci22

Let me clarify. My son has a C&A number already. I'm referring to an online account so I can watch his points and cruises.

It would be nice if C&A could send a report to members once a year to show them current points and status for minors linked to them. We have account for our son, and he should have the same points as we do because he has been on all our cruises.

I'm usually happy to let a thread die, but I felt like replying to you.

You sir/madam, are a troll. Not once did I say anything so drastic as you described. You have come onto a thread, taken license to put words in my mouth, and seen fit to give "life advice" or insult me.

This experience will impact Royal Caribbean's ability to get my money in the future, and I felt like posting about it. I also hope that seeing and reading this post prepares other people like me for the fact they won't get to keep their cruise points.

That is all. This thread is now dead to me. I'm taking your advice and moving on. I'm afraid I'm already all grown up so I can't take that one, but you should feel free to do so yourself. :D

It would be nice if C&A could send a report to members once a year to show them current points and status for minors linked to them. We have account for our son, and he should have the same points as we do because he has been on all our cruises.

I always keep the SeaPass cards at the end of the cruise. If you find a mistake later, you can email them a copy of the card and they can easily fix it. I had to do it once and it worked fine.

I always keep the SeaPass cards at the end of the cruise. If you find a mistake later, you can email them a copy of the card and they can easily fix it. I had to do it once and it worked fine.

I think I kept his cards too, but we are in process of moving from VA to FL, so hope they do not get lost :).

I have all of our sea pass cards- mine, DH's, and DS's. All in a big zip lock bag!

...my cruise history is accurate back to 2003 and then before that just has dummy dates and no ships listed. It even has a sailing date listed before RCI, you know, started sailing.

I'll go out on a limb and say it shows your sail date as some time in 1970.

Edited by UCF_Knight

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently had something similar. I inherited Platinum status due to my previous marriage back in 2005. Since then I have gone on enough cruises of my own to reach Emerald - I've currently got 74 points, all of which I have earned on my own.

However, I logged in today and discovered I've been downgraded to Platinum. I can't for the life of me figure out why - especially since in the history it shows all the cruises I've ever taken, and those points add up (with conversion) to over 55 threshold for Emerald.

Hoping either my TA or I can get it sorted w/Royal soon. I have 3 cruises in the next year...and my Sept Cruise would have pushed me to diamond.