Inherited C&A Points Holders Beware!

Very informative. So the kids points (they have C&A #'s) are their points for life. There status at 18 is our status (currently D+). Post 18, they will have our status and their points. Should they aspire to the next level, they must do so on the accumulation of their own points.

The benefit of retaining your parents status at 18 seems like a very nice perk.

So if I provide the kids a good education, teach them to dress appropriately on formal nights, discourage them from buying an ultra premium drink package, teach them to tip properly, encourage late night seating at traditional MDR AND they launch into adult life as D+ RCCL cruisers, then I have done everything a good father can do? Now I won't feel guilty about spending their inheritance one suite at a time :)

You got it!

The interesting part is that even though my points were 'taken away', I'm still an Emerald member despite being below the threshold.

So, they're probably still D+ but it will take them forever to reach any status above that.

I'm pretty sure that's right. It's also the way things work with their partners. On my last (2013) Enchantment cruise I had 27 points but was considered Platinum because I became Select on Celebrity.

Roy

My kids were Platinum at 14 points, Emerald at 36 points. They will be Diamond at 46 points after our upcoming Brilliance cruise. Heck, if we cruise enough, the youngest might even inherit D+ (unlikely for the oldest).

Not that they care. Although maybe they will when they are 18. I'm sure they'll both have enough points by the time they turn 18 to be Diamond in their own right anyway.

This whole thing is confusing to me, but what I know is this; We took our dauhter on 4 cruises before she turned 18. She was signed up with her own C&A number. This was between 2002-2005. When they changed the system over she got one point per night plus one extra point, just like us.

A different issue we had though, they had lost one of our cruises. They wanted me to prove somehow (a seapass, a photo) that we had actually taken the cruise. I was able to do that and got credit, but I couldn't remember the exact dates. Later on when I was speaking to a different C&A rep about something else, I mentioned this to her. She quickly looked up our history and found the old cruise, correct dates and all. So the moral of this story, you might need to talk to a few different reps to get all of your points. But as long as you had your own C&A number, you should get points for every cruise whether you were 18 or not.

Just wanted to point out that they need a crown and anchor number before they turn 18 or they will not get your status as parents. We made THAT mistake and now my kids lost our status from when they turned 18 :(

This has been a very interesting thread - our son went on his first cruise with us last year, and will be taking his second this year. He's only 9, so we have a ways to go before we have to worry about him turning 18, but how do we go about getting a crown and anchor # for him?

This has been a very interesting thread - our son went on his first cruise with us last year, and will be taking his second this year. He's only 9, so we have a ways to go before we have to worry about him turning 18, but how do we go about getting a crown and anchor # for him?

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cas/enroll/home.do

The interesting part is that even though my points were 'taken away', I'm still an Emerald member despite being below the threshold.

Presuming your parents were Emerald when you turned 18, that is the way it is supposed to work. You inherited their level but you only got points for cruises you were on.

Last time I checked anonymous message boards on the internet were open for moaning and complaining ;)

Beyond moaning, complaining, and getting this off my chest, I think this is something useful to know for people that are going to encounter the situation in the future.

Also, of those two companies - which are you more likely to give your business to today?

Andy, I immediately regretted using those terms. I apologize.

The fact is, the only thing that you say bothers you is the time lag, not the "downgrade" itself.

Now that you have vented, are you more reconciled to the situation?

OK. So let me get this straight. If I get up to 170 nights (5 short of D+) and my daughter turns 18, what happens to her account? Does she need to go on 5 more nights to get D+, or do they set her back to base D level of 80 nights?

Rich

It depends on how many points your daughter has earned herself. When she turns 18, she'll still be considered "Diamond" regardless, but will have whatever points she earned, and to get to Diamond Plus, she'll need (175 - her point count) more points.

Edited by Daghis

OK. So let me get this straight. If I get up to 170 nights (5 short of D+) and my daughter turns 18, what happens to her account? Does she need to go on 5 more nights to get D+, or do they set her back to base D level of 80 nights?

Rich

It does not matter how many points you have, it is how many points does she have and her points will revert back to however many cruises she has been on. If she has only cruised with you once and only has 7 points, then she'll be Diamond with 7 points but she'll need 168 more points to make D+.

If you take a look at the C&A benefits page here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

The fourth paragraph under the General Terms & Conditions says:

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjust back to the appropriate tier status.

I believe that for many years, Royal missed removing kids from their parents C&A status when the kids turned 18. In the last few years, Royal has put a program in place to check this, and it can be caught at any time.

Just for clarification:

Is it the points that are removed or the status?

We have kids that are Diamond members because of us, and we are taking them on cruises with Royal.

When they turn 18 and they sail with us, what status will the be sailing as?

Will they lose their access to the Diamond Lounge and other benefits?

Or will they lose their points so that they cannot move up to Diamond plus without building points up to diamond and beyond?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just for clarification:

We have kids that are Diamond members because of us, and we are taking them on cruises with Royal.

Or will they lose their points so that they cannot move up to Diamond plus without building points up to diamond and beyond?

Points are not removed, because the kids earn their own points.

Only the status is changed if Royal find that the kids moved up after they turned 18.

If the kids are less than 18 now, and you are Diamond now, then the kids will also be Diamond.

If you move up to Diamond Plus while the kids are still less than 18, then the kids will also move up to Diamond Plus.

Once the kids turn 18, then they keep whatever level you had when they turned 18. However, moving up to the next level depends on how many points they earned on their own cruises.

Edited by clarea

Just for clarification:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Points are removed. They won't bump them down in status, but will require them to make up the point difference before advancing to the next level.

Both my Dh and my DS have been lucky enough to be related to me ;)

I have 95 cruise points.

DH, technically has 76 based on his actual days, but his account shows 95 along with mine.

DS, technically has 22 based on his actual days. His account does not show anything because he just turned 3 years old and there is no online acces for minors accounts.

All three of us are Diamond members. Your children will remain Diamond members, but their points that show on their account may change.

Lets say my son misbehaves and I never cruise again with him, teehee. He needs to sail 153 days on his own to make Diamond Plus (22 of his actual points and 153 to get to the required 175 to be D+).

Does that make sense?

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

Points are removed. They won't bump them down in status, but will require them to make up the point difference before advancing to the next level....

No points are removed from children's accounts when they turn 18, because they only ever had the points they earned on their own cruises.

You may be confusing this with significant-other linking, which has different rules.

No points are removed from children's accounts when they turn 18, because they only ever had the points they earned on their own cruises.

You may be confusing this with significant-other linking, which has different rules.

Makes sense. As I said, kids' accounts can be accessed online so it's more difficult to tell where they stand!

Makes sense. As I said, kids' accounts can be accessed online so it's more difficult to tell where they stand!

I think Ken posted a while back that kids can have their own accounts now.

My husband and I are Diamond. Our daughter, turned 18 while we were Emerald. She stayed at Emerald while our boys are now Diamond. The older boy turned 18 in January, he stays at Diamond. While the youngest is hoping we make it to Diamond + before he turns 18. They've all had Crown & Anchor numbers since they were little.

Taken from the RCCL Website

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjust back to the appropriate tier status.

Ok, I am on a plane today (with WIFI) so spending way too much time on CC. I have another question. Now that we have established my kids will keep my D+ status after they turn 18, what will happen with my grandchildren (If I am first generation, kids are 2nd generation and my grandkids are 3rd generation). So my kids keep up the tradition and take their kids (my grandkids) on a cruise. My kid is D+, so now my grandkids are D+ as well? Then the grandkids turn 18, they get the same status as their parents and keep the tradition going. Could you have an entire generation of D+'s with 21 cruise points to their rightful account?

(As an aside my father used to say that it took one generation to earn the money and the next two generations to spend it. Unfortunately for me he was the 3rd gen... I am in a rebuilding mode.)