Help! May cancel a 7-day Norwegian cruise, what can I do?

nyssgg

I purchased a 7-day cruise for whole family of 5 people at Norwegian about 1 month ago, but my wife will have a medical exam next week, the result may not be good and we may have to cancel the trip due to that. It will be 3 days prior to the departure of the cruise, and according to the policy, we may not get any refund, it's over $4000

The doctor said she can write up a doctor note for us, but I don't think we can use it.

Is it possible to buy insurance now? Like http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com ?

My concern is that the insurance may deny our claim for reasons like pre-existing condition. Buy my wife is not diagnosed with any illness now, she could still go if the exam result is good. It all depends on the medical exam result next week.

Welcome any constructive suggestions!

I purchased a 7-day cruise for whole family of 5 people at Norwegian about 1 month ago, but my wife will have a medical exam next week, the result may not be good and we may have to cancel the trip due to that. It will be 3 days prior to the departure of the cruise, and according to the policy, we may not get any refund, it's over $4000

The doctor said she can write up a doctor note for us, but I don't think we can use it.

Is it possible to buy insurance now? Like www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com ?

My concern is that the insurance may deny our claim for reasons like pre-existing condition. Buy my wife is not diagnosed with any illness now, she could still go if the exam result is good. It all depends on the medical exam result next week.

I would think that if you buy insurance now, and she is diagnosed with something after the insurance purchase date, it wouldn't be considered pre-existing. That's just a guess on my part but it seems to make sense.

Also, even if she gets an unwanted diagnosis, does it mean she will have to start treatment or have interventions right away? It's only a 7 day cruise. Maybe she'll need some time to think about options or get her head around what she has to deal with, and going on the cruise will give her that time.

Good luck and hope the news you get is good.

If you had purchased insurance when you made your payment for the cruise it would be easier to get the pre-existing condition waiver. At this point you need to check the specific insurance company's policy.

Insurance companies may define a pre-existing condition not only as something diagnosed by a doctor, but " any medical condition, which manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment".

Edited by valleyvillage

you can buy insurance now but a few things

First of all its going to be very expensive.

Secondly - it will cover pre existing conditions but generally with a 7 or 10 day waiting period before the policy takes effect so this will do you no good.

Not to sound mean but this is why you buy insurance no one expects these things to happen.

I think it is obvious that you are dealing with what will be considered a pre-existing condition in this instance. You do not need a "diagnosis" for something to be designated pre-existing. You have already said that there has been some medical issue with an upcoming exam. Believe me, the insurance companies are very good at determining pre-existing conditions. I doubt that you will be able to find any insurance with a pre-existing waiver at this late date but it's worth looking into.

I hope everything works out for you and your family and wish I had some alternatives to offer.

Thanks for your suggestion. The thing is that she is at her early stage pregnancy, the ultrasound she did last week suggested she needs another ultrasound next week to determine if she is all right or needs a miscarriage surgery. If the latter, she needs to do the surgery immediately, and we have to cancel the trip. If the former, we can all go. So I don't know if this is considered pre-existing condition?

If you had purchased insurance when you made your payment for the cruise it would be easier to get the pre-existing condition waiver. At this point you need to check the specific insurance company's policy.

Insurance companies may define a pre-existing condition not only as something diagnosed by a doctor, but " any medical condition, which manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment".

Well, do a search and see if you can buy insurance with pre-exisiting condition coverage. Not sure you will find it at this late date. If she has some sign or symptom causing her to seek this exam, that may well mean it is already considered pre-exisiting by insurance company's definition.

If you cannot get affordable coverage for this potentiallity, consider your optuions...Would anybody be able to go? If one name stays from the original reservation, you may be able to change the other names. For example, if you and your wife need to be home, maybe child(ren) could go with grandparents or close family freinds. Just a thought.

Thanks for your suggestion. The thing is that she is at her early stage pregnancy, the ultrasound she did last week suggested she needs another ultrasound next week to determine if she is all right or needs a miscarriage surgery. If the latter, she needs to do the surgery immediately, and we have to cancel the trip. If the former, we can all go. So I don't know if this is considered pre-existing condition?

I am so sorry that you are going through this. We have gone through the same thing and it was a very hard time. Our prayers are with you for a good outcome.

I sincerely hope things work out well for you, so that you all can take that planned cruise. I am also sorry you might have to learn the hard way why it is so important to purchase a travel insurance when you book a cruise - personally I never book any vacation without purchasing a travel insurance as well. Better safe than sorry in the unlikely situation that something unexpected (like a medical "situation") might happen before or during the cruise.

Is it possible to buy insurance now? Like http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com ?

What an awful situation.

The insurance company would claim that the pregnancy is a pre-existing condition....and unfortunately a complication from a pre-existing condition is grounds for denial of the claim.

Worse, they define pre-existing condition as anything for which you have consulted a medical professional. So even going to the doctor to ask WHETHER you have a problem - if that thing becomes a problem, regardless of whether the doctor has diagnosed it yet (pending tests, etc), it's grounds for denial of a claim.

Hoping for a positive result next week. Otherwise, maybe try to find somebody who wants to buy a half-price cruise from you, so they get a big discount and you get only half the financial pain.... though it may be that somebody from the original booking still has to go.... I'm not well-versed in that aspect of cancelling.

Find a policy that would cover you and claim there was no preexisting condition.

Hopefully you won't need to use it anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I sincerely hope the best for your wife & you. I don't want to make you get into specifics and I don't know the specifics of her pregnancy, but if they think she will immediately need the procedure, why are they waiting another week to do the ultrasound? Can that happen earlier? Either way, talk to the doctor (& your wife) about the cruise plans. Physical recovery is normally fairly quick from the procedure itself and she might benefit from a vacation where she can relax (especially if your family of 5 is you & your children and the kids can go to the NCL camp).

Whatever happens - Do not cancel the cruise unless it is absolutely necessary. That way if at the last minute she can travel, you can still go.

I've had two miscarriages and a D&C (is that the surgery you are referring to) for one of them? She may not emotionally feel up to it but technically she should still be able to cruise after the D&C. It will be like a very heavy period for her but if they do this 3 days before, she may be past her heaviest flow by then. I don't think you have to cancel your cruise unless she's just not feeling up to it emotionally. After losing a baby, getting away may be just what she needs but everyone handles these things differently. I'm sorry you both are going through this. :(

I'm looking at Exclusion terms of Allianz Travel Insurance

http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/documents/library/certs/TI_302_04_C_V2PC.pdf

Page 13 SECTION 3: WHAT THIS CERTIFICATE EXCLUDES

You aren’t covered for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any of the following general exclusions.

- pregnancy, (unless specifically included in Section 2), unless there are unforeseen complications or problems with the pregnancy;

- fertility treatments, childbirth or elective abortion;

Similar term in Travel Guard's policy:

https://buy.travelguard.com/TGI2/proc/launch.aspx?pcode=CTT&br=tgdirect&arc=000329&cn=1&st=23&plan=158353&prc=PI6600

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from:

(b) Normal Pregnancy or Childbirth, other than Unforeseen

Complications of Pregnancy, or elective abortion of the

Insured, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member;

So sounds like it is excluded no matter what, even you bought the insurance on the very beginning with Pre-existing Constition Waiver, it is excluded.

I sincerely hope things work out well for you, so that you all can take that planned cruise. I am also sorry you might have to learn the hard way why it is so important to purchase a travel insurance when you book a cruise - personally I never book any vacation without purchasing a travel insurance as well. Better safe than sorry in the unlikely situation that something unexpected (like a medical "situation") might happen before or during the cruise.

What an awful situation.

The insurance company would claim that the pregnancy is a pre-existing condition....and unfortunately a complication from a pre-existing condition is grounds for denial of the claim.

Worse, they define pre-existing condition as anything for which you have consulted a medical professional. So even going to the doctor to ask WHETHER you have a problem - if that thing becomes a problem, regardless of whether the doctor has diagnosed it yet (pending tests, etc), it's grounds for denial of a claim.

Hoping for a positive result next week. Otherwise, maybe try to find somebody who wants to buy a half-price cruise from you, so they get a big discount and you get only half the financial pain.... though it may be that somebody from the original booking still has to go.... I'm not well-versed in that aspect of cancelling.

Just as airlines do not let one re-sell their flight reservation if unable to make a flight, I'm pretty sure cruise lines do not want people reselling or "scalping" their cruise reservations. So, probably at least one person per cabin from the original reservation must stay on the booking and sail. Depending upon the family composition and dynamic, it might be an option to consider if the tests go poorly.

Find a policy that would cover you and claim there was no preexisting condition.

Hopefully you won't need to use it anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

This would be insurance fraud.

AND... the insurer WILL request previous medical records, AND signed documentation from the physician about when the condition/etc. was first noticed, or the first medical visit for it was made, etc.

We've made a medical claim, and the insurer has the right to obtain all relevant documentation.

IF pre-existing condition coverage was purchased before the first indication of trouble, OR any "look back time" was long enough already (unlikely for either in this case), then the documentation is much less complicated, and coverage would probably be no problem.

We hope all goes as well as possible for OP!

GeezerCouple

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We will ask doctor if the result is bad, if they can arrange D&C surgery on the same day or next day. I hope they can accommodate our request.

I've had two miscarriages and a D&C (is that the surgery you are referring to) for one of them? She may not emotionally feel up to it but technically she should still be able to cruise after the D&C. It will be like a very heavy period for her but if they do this 3 days before, she may be past her heaviest flow by then. I don't think you have to cancel your cruise unless she's just not feeling up to it emotionally. After losing a baby, getting away may be just what she needs but everyone handles these things differently. I'm sorry you both are going through this. :(

Prayers to you, your wife and family.

The only insurance I can think of is cancel for any reason and I don't know if this close there would even be a policy available. And with those, many times the reimbursement is in the 75% range and not 100%.

A whole other caveate is that most of the policies, at least the ones I've looked at base on your condition to travel at time of booking. For example, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January of this year. Well, I wanted to book the Oct 2015 TA of the Escape (over 18 months out), which I did, but preexisting condition did not even apply in my case, because at time of booking, I was not healthy enough to travel. I called and spoke to a few insurance companies. The conclusion for my case was I needed a policy with "cancel for any reason" which had to be purchased within 14-21 days of initial booking.

Good Luck and praying for you

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We will ask doctor if the result is bad, if they can arrange D&C surgery on the same day or next day. I hope they can accommodate our request.

They usually do it right away if needed. Bestvof luck to you all!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry that you are in that predicament and hope everything works out. I agree with the person that posted that she may still be able to go if she has a D&C. At the most she may be physically experiencing a heavy flow. The trip may help her emotionally deal with the loss.

I will echo what others have said in hoping that your wife and unborn child are okay.

Regarding your cruise, you should call NCL and find out their policy with adding and subtracting. Make sure you call the Miami corporate office when you ask this question (I can post the phone number if you want). The question you want to ask is this:

"If I add a 3rd and 4th person to my room, and then 2 of the people want to cancel, are any two of those 4 people allowed to do it without penalty, provided two remain in the room?"

The reason to ask this is because additional passengers have until 14 days before the cruise to cancel for a FULL REFUND.

So you might be able to add two other people to your room, and then cancel both you and your wife out of it, leaving those "added" people.

In this case, the "added" people would be friends, relatives, or people you sell the cruise to at a discount.

Just make sure you find out the policy before you try this.

I agree that the insurance thing probably won't work.

BTW, if you're a month out, I believe you will get a 75% refund if you cancel, plus all the taxes/port fees.

I will echo what others have said in hoping that your wife and unborn child are okay.

Regarding your cruise, you should call NCL and find out their policy with adding and subtracting. Make sure you call the Miami corporate office when you ask this question (I can post the phone number if you want). The question you want to ask is this:

"If I add a 3rd and 4th person to my room, and then 2 of the people want to cancel, are any two of those 4 people allowed to do it without penalty, provided two remain in the room?"

The reason to ask this is because additional passengers have until 14 days before the cruise to cancel for a FULL REFUND.

So you might be able to add two other people to your room, and then cancel both you and your wife out of it, leaving those "added" people.

In this case, the "added" people would be friends, relatives, or people you sell the cruise to at a discount.

Just make sure you find out the policy before you try this.

I agree that the insurance thing probably won't work.

BTW, if you're a month out, I believe you will get a 75% refund if you cancel, plus all the taxes/port fees.

Couple points....I do not think they are month out from the cruise. Or even fourteen days out. Since most cruises leave on the weekend, I'd guess 8 or 9 days out. maybe 10 days if it is a Monday departure.

From the initial post, it seems the OP booked a month ago.

The medical visit is next week. That visit is 3 days before the cruise.

So time is short.

Just as an FYI as the OP seems to be too close for it to apply, typically for cancellations from 29-15 days out, there is a 75% cancellation fee (not 75% refund). You may have inadvertently reversed that.

As noted before, I do not think NCL wants people to be able to re-sell there cruises, so I doubt they would allow the "add two, subtract two, refund two" scheme, even if they were more than 14 days out. However the OP has reservations for 5; he may be able to change some names...probably not all names.

Edited by Starry Eyes

You're right, I misread it.

MODS, delete my post above.

Otherwise, ignore it.

Guess you don't have many options here, sorry. Maybe call the NCL corporate office in Miami and see if you can transfer the cruise to 2 other people you know.