Input on making a copy of passport for shore excurions while actual is safe i...

A friend who travels/cruises internationally (i.e. Europe) more suggested we (1st timers on a Mediterranean Cruise) color copy & laminate the first page of our passports. She suggested we than carry this with us and keep our actual passports safe in our rooms on the boat when on shore.

Can someone confirm for me that this is a good practice? I like the idea of not having such an important document with me constantly and therefore, more potential to lose it. But not sure the copy would be OK should we need to show it.

I tried calling the US State Department but everything is about getting the passports.

Thanks!

Edited by summergirlinWI

You shouldn't even have to carry your passports on shore, with the exception of a handful of countries (e.g. Russia) - but in those cases, you'll be told beforehand that you have to bring your passport (it'll be in the ship daily, the CD will mention it the night before, etc.). In those cases you have to bring the actual passport, the copies are not acceptable.

I can't think of any other time you'd even need to show your passport when off the ship. If you were to miss the ship and had to get a new passport at the local U.S. consulate, it would be easier for them to confirm your identity if you had a passport copy to show them. But in that case, the security on the ship would retrieve your passports from your stateroom safe and leave it with the port agent anyway (if they knew that you weren't back on board and the ship is about to leave).

Maybe when you're doing land travel and get into a car accident or are victim of a crime (like theft), you would show your proof of identity and citizenship to local police. But when you're traveling on a cruise ship, even if something so unfortunate were to happen, you wouldn't be too far away from the cruise ship anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard to retrieve your passports.

Edited by Illyria

As the previous poster wrote you really do not need to do this unless in certain countries or to ease your own mind. A photocopy of the pp would do as well as a photo copy of your cc if you wanted to card it one step further. One of the only times I could think of that you may need a pp and I am not sure of that anymore is if you made a huge purchase and they could do your VAT then ans there,but that's it. You do not need to color and laminate.

Do keep some form of ID with you--copy of passport or driver's license. When we were in London several months ago, and wanted to use a credit card to make a purchase, they insisted on proof of ID. Clerk said there had been a lot of fraud with credit cards. We had left our papers in the hotel safe - so no purchase.

good suggestions. What about the night before you catch the ship? We are staying at a decent hotel in Barcelona with room safes and want to do some sight seeing that night. Should we carry our passports with us in our money belts? I am concerned about how secure a hotel safe might be.

good suggestions. What about the night before you catch the ship? We are staying at a decent hotel in Barcelona with room safes and want to do some sight seeing that night. Should we carry our passports with us in our money belts? I am concerned about how secure a hotel safe might be.

You can leave it in the hotel safe behind the desk not the room safe and then pick it up when you get back from sightseeing. Don't carry it out.

The law in Spain does 'require' that everyone carry a 'government issued form of identification'. This is widely ignored and unless you get into some serious trouble you will be fine. If you are going to an event or area that has heightened security, the copy of the passport or even a drivers license would be fine. The copy of the passport does not need to be accepted by law, but most police will be fine if they can confirm your identity.

The only time you absolutely need a passport in Spain is when you are checking into a hotel and all guests must present the document. It is copied into the national police database for every hotel stay in Spain. Some become 'agitated' when some hotel staff try to keep their passport for 'a while' and request the guest come back to collect them later. They are actually just trying to collect a group of passports to scan in at the same time later for 'efficiency' , but some tourists find this request surprising.

A secure form of ID is most often needed to make any credit card purchase unless you have a chip and pin card.

We have been on 2 Med cruises and a Baltic cruise. The only place I took my real passport off the ship was Russia. Usually I carry a copy. I also carry my drivers license as a form of government ID. I have, several times, been asked for this when using a credit card.

I always take a copy of my passport on my trips and have it handy, just in case. Years ago, I was co-hosting an international trip and one of our passenger's passports had fallen in the crevice between the bus seat and wall of the bus. This was discovered just as we were about to cross the border into another country. Prior to the trip, we made copies of everyone's passports and we were told it would have been helpful should the passenger have had to stay behind. Thankfully, the passport was found before we reached the US consulate!

A few years ago in Barcelona, our Sagrada tickets failed to print but the system showed they had. We had to go to a bank for assistance and they wanted to see our passports. We didn't have them, but the copy was sufficient and the people at the bank helped us get in by calling the office.

It doesn't hurt anything to have a copy. Hopefully, you will never need it!

As others have stated, your daily program will inform you if you need to take an actual ID with you off the ship.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

I disagree with many opinions. A copy of an ID is not valid for any legal purpose, at least in Spain.

It might help you out eventually if you find helpful people, but do not count on that at all.

The only legal documents in Spain and most EU are Spanish ID (DNI for Spaniards / TRE for non EU residen Spaniards), EU IDs they are valid proof of identity even if they are from another country, Passports, European driving licenses (they actually share the format across the EU, so they all look identical).

If you are non European Union / Schengen area citizen, I would recommend the driving license. It is not valid actually, but many people would accept it if it is written in English or something and has a picture.

I always take a copy of my passport on my trips and have it handy, just in case. Years ago, I was co-hosting an international trip and one of our passenger's passports had fallen in the crevice between the bus seat and wall of the bus. This was discovered just as we were about to cross the border into another country. Prior to the trip, we made copies of everyone's passports and we were told it would have been helpful should the passenger have had to stay behind. Thankfully, the passport was found before we reached the US consulate!

A few years ago in Barcelona, our Sagrada tickets failed to print but the system showed they had. We had to go to a bank for assistance and they wanted to see our passports. We didn't have them, but the copy was sufficient and the people at the bank helped us get in by calling the office.

It doesn't hurt anything to have a copy. Hopefully, you will never need it!

As others have stated, your daily program will inform you if you need to take an actual ID with you off the ship.

Happy Travels!

Please, please always take your original passport whenever you leave the ship in a foreign port, be it St. Martin or Russia. Doesn't matter both are foreign countries. Tape it to your tummy, take a locked pouch, put it down your undies but take it with you.

Don't fall victim to the mindset that gee I sailed from Florida, I'm in the Caribbean for petes sake, what could happen? It not like I'm in some foreign country.

You have an accident, you're in a hospital, the ship is on its way to wherever. You need to fly home. What do you use to authenticate citizenship, your photocopy? Don't let the naysayers convince you to leave it in the safe. You need your passport NOW, ship is at sea for three days. Doesn't do you much good in the safe does it?

Don't follow the daily guide re passports. Follow your instincts and common sense. It'll be your rear sitting in some third world country not the writer of the daily guide.

I know my commentary goes against what a lot of seasoned passengers will say. Also, a lot of passengers say that if the daily guide says to take or not take they must know what they are talking about. All I know is that when I'm in Sweden, Russia, or Aruba my passport will be firmly tucked inside my tighty whiteys

Edited by PoppyandNana

Here is a copy of info directly from the Website travel.state.gov under the section entitled US Passports and International Travel (then click on the country), so folks can decide for themselves:

"In Barcelona, the largest number of incidents reported also occurred in major tourist areas--on Las Ramblas, El Prat Airport, Sants train station, inside Metro stations, in the Sagrada Familia area, in the Gothic Quarter, in Park Güell, in Plaza Reial, and along Barcelona’s beaches. There have been a number of thefts reported at the Port Olimpic Area and nearby beaches.

Travelers should remain alert to their personal security and exercise caution. We suggest that travelers carry limited cash, only one credit card, and a copy of their passport; leaving extra cash, extra credit cards, passports and personal documents in a safe location."

Edited by Chloe1500

Here is a copy of info directly from the Website travel.state.gov under the section entitled US Passports and International Travel (then click on the country), so folks can decide for themselves:

"In Barcelona, the largest number of incidents reported also occurred in major tourist areas--on Las Ramblas, El Prat Airport, Sants train station, inside Metro stations, in the Sagrada Familia area, in the Gothic Quarter, in Park Güell, in Plaza Reial, and along Barcelona’s beaches. There have been a number of thefts reported at the Port Olimpic Area and nearby beaches.

Travelers should remain alert to their personal security and exercise caution. We suggest that travelers carry limited cash, only one credit card, and a copy of their passport; leaving extra cash, extra credit cards, passports and personal documents in a safe location."

Ok. Lets describe a scenario. You're in Barcelona. You only have a copy of your passport. An emergency arises. You are involved in some type of situation that causes you to miss the ship. Tour bus breaks down in the boonies. Anything.

Now you have to fly from Barcelona to next port of call, home wherever. You're in the airport checking in. Does the airline accept a photo copy of your passport?

Ok. Lets describe a scenario. You're in Barcelona. You only have a copy of your passport. An emergency arises. You are involved in some type of situation that causes you to miss the ship. Tour bus breaks down in the boonies. Anything.

Now you have to fly from Barcelona to next port of call, home wherever. You're in the airport checking in. Does the airline accept a photo copy of your passport?

This is a good point. The only time I carried my passport was one time we were in a private tour from Malaga to La Alhambra in Granada. The next port was Casablanca in Morocco, so I wanted to be covered in case we missed the ship and had to fly to Casablanca. But if the tour had been provided by ship I would not have worried as I doubt the ship would leave without a bus full of passengers.

This is a good point. The only time I carried my passport was one time we were in a private tour from Malaga to La Alhambra in Granada. The next port was Casablanca in Morocco, so I wanted to be covered in case we missed the ship and had to fly to Casablanca. But if the tour had been provided by ship I would not have worried as I doubt the ship would leave without a bus full of passengers.

You are quite correct. Many passengers however, myself included, tend to take private tours so we do run the risk of the ship leaving without us.

I understand that the consulate can intercede and assist. However, what happens when your accident, family emergency occurs on a weekend? Instead of jumping on a plane to the U.S. one might be cooling their heels until someone in authority comes in.

This whole discussion partners with the issue of travel insurance, another somewhat controversial topic here on CC.

We did a what if on our last cruise to Norway and the Arctic Circle. Has we encountered a major event and we didn't have our passports we could have been s.....d, b....d and tattooed.

I recall an event involving an elderly couple off a cruise ship in Florence. The wife, as often is the case, carried the money, passports and credit cards. The wife said I'm going to another part of the museum. As is often the case with us men he gave her a yah, yah. She came back to where she left her husband and not seeing him assumed he went back to the ship. He did have his sea pass.

Not sure of the rest of the particulars but the ship sailed without the husband. Here he is in Italy with no identification and no money. Now he has a problem!

See, if he had his passport in his thighty whiteys he would be fine

Edited by PoppyandNana

Please, please always take your original passport whenever you leave the ship in a foreign port, be it St. Martin or Russia. Doesn't matter both are foreign countries. Tape it to your tummy, take a locked pouch, put it down your undies but take it with you.

Don't fall victim to the mindset that gee I sailed from Florida, I'm in the Caribbean for petes sake, what could happen? It not like I'm in some foreign country.

You have an accident, you're in a hospital, the ship is on its way to wherever. You need to fly home. What do you use to authenticate citizenship, your photocopy? Don't let the naysayers convince you to leave it in the safe. You need your passport NOW, ship is at sea for three days. Doesn't do you much good in the safe does it?

Stupid idea.

Number of times passport needed - virtually zero.

Number of times passport stolen, especially by pickpockets in Barcelona - lots.

If you are really paranoid, email yourself a scanned copy if your passport, together with details of the local consulate/embassy.

Stupid idea.

If you are really paranoid, email yourself a scanned copy if your passport, together with details of the local consulate/embassy.

Obviously you have traveled only by cruise ship and then to safe places like the Bahamas. When you have been around the world a few times by land, air and sea come back and talk to the adults.

Meantime don't forget your big boy pants for the formal nights.

Stupid idea.

Another thought if you please. You say your passport has been stolen lots of times in Barcelona. Just a suggestion but I'd stop going to Barcelona.

Thank you! This was what I was looking for on the state department's website but could not find. All of the comments have been helpful and just go to show the varying issues/places one has to be aware of. In our situation, I will go with the copy for emergencies and may bring the real thing on our final day in Naples as if we miss the ship there its a flight back to Barcelona whereas the other ports are just a quick train ride. Barcelona for sure, it will stay in the hotel. Don't want a crappy pick pocket to spoil our first Med Cruise!

Thank you! This was what I was looking for on the state department's website but could not find. All of the comments have been helpful and just go to show the varying issues/places one has to be aware of. In our situation, I will go with the copy for emergencies and may bring the real thing on our final day in Naples as if we miss the ship there its a flight back to Barcelona whereas the other ports are just a quick train ride. Barcelona for sure, it will stay in the hotel. Don't want a crappy pick pocket to spoil our first Med Cruise!

Have a great cruise!

Just want to reiterate that whether you choose to take your passport or not, making a copy is still a good idea. In our case, all passengers were carrying theirs yet one went missing. When the consulate was called, they were glad we had a copy.

Here's info from the State Department: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

"What Do I Need to Replace my Passport Overseas?

The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly. Please provide:

A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)

Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)

Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)

Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)

Police Report, if available

DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)

DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)"

See the link for more.