Recommended Coat

Rambler5678

We will be traveling to Alaska in Mid - July to take a Disney cruise. What kind of warm water proof coat would you recommend and wear would you purchase it? We live in the south and our winters are milder than ones up north.

Thanks,

Water repellent (not waterproof) and layered to allow breathability and moisture wicking. Check REI for a variety of brands (incl Columbia, Northface, etc.). Don't go cheap.

I always recommend a hooded waterproof, but I live in the rainy Pacific NW so it gets plenty of use. If you'll never wear it again, I sure wouldn't invest much money in the purchase. You'll find after season sales on jackets at Sierra Trading Post, Sears, even Amazon.

For extra protection, put a rain poncho in your daypack; not one of those dollar ones that seem like an oversize garbage bag, but a TOTES for $6-$7.

Flatbush Flyer: Why water repellent instead of waterproof?

(I'm also a southerner trying to decide on a coat to buy.)

Wondering: Has anyone tried the Eddie Bauer Rainfoil jackets or parkas?

Waterproof have a tendency to be warm to wear. From my personal experience waterproof jackets don't breath very well to let moisture near the skin disappear. I prefer a gortex jacket fuzzy liner . So on warm can wear the jacket without the liner . I used to work outside in snow and ice down to

-40F . Always wore a gortex jacket with a sweater underneath.

You will get lots of different opinions, of course. If you won't have any use for the garment at home, look for end of season sales or lower end brands. It's hard not to go cheap if you'll never use it again. I live in Northern CA and when not in drought years, can use a rain jacket. I found a clearance sale on a packable Marmot Precip, waterproof with pit zips for heat venting. It is my travel rain jacket. I also have the Eddie Bauer rain foil parka, which I've never traveled with, but is fairly light weight. It is waterproof but is advertised as breathable and it is! The velcro, holds fast, so you can close it without the zipper and have heat venting or unzip from the bottom up. Don't spend a lot of money if you won't use the garment beyond the cruise. Have a great time!

Warm isn’t really what you need for the coat. A light, waterproof or even water resistant coat works best. The temperatures could be anywhere from the 30’s to 70’s, and raining. You’ll need a light weight outer shell, with a hood, that you can wear in any temperature. If you purchase a “warm” coat you may not want to wear it if it’s in the 70’s but you’ll need something. During colder temperatures you’ll just add layers beneath it.

I get mine at Costco for about $30.

I bought an Eddie Bauer Rainfoil jacket last summer for our July cruise. It worked out great and kept me dry. It's very lightweight so could easily be used in warmer climates. Just be sure to buy a size that will be large enough to allow you to wear a couple of layers underneath. I wore a long-sleeved t-shirt and a long-sleeved fleece underneath the jacket on glacier viewing days.

The jackets go on sale frequently so sign up for Eddie Bauer emails and buy during a sale.

If water can't get in, it (moisture from perspiration) can't get out. That's why many waterproof outer shells are vented at the underarm. But, if you will be participating in strenuous outdoor activities, those vents won't be enough and you'll feel uncomfortably clammy. As aforementioned get a good layered system that you can add/subtract its components. Even if you buy it on Amazon, I highly recommend that you explore stores like REI even to the point of trying them on. If you don't have an REI nearby, you could try an LL Bean or even an Eddie Bauer store.

I live in Florida, so I wanted a jacket that would work for both Alaska and Florida's summer thunderstorms. I love the jacket I got from LL Bean. Lightweight and easy to pack, great water and wind protection, and not too hot. It was the Discovery Rain Jacket.

With the right features and a clever design that packs in its own pocket for travel, our women’s Discovery Rain Jacket offers an ideal combination of performance and value.

Waterproof nylon and fully taped seams to keep water out

Mesh lining adds comfort and won't cling

Conveniently packs in its own pocket

You can have waterproof and breathable. While I didn't work for the post office, I was in a position for a few years where I had to be outside M-F no matter what the weather. I have a lot of experience with jackets! My Eddie Bauer rain coat was waterproof and breathable. I would recommend this brand, with the caveat that you won't get years of daily wear as the linings tend to rip. Lands End jackets work OK, but after time lose their water repellancy. The Columbia trench/jacket I bought is NOT breathable and gets uncomfortable (biggest waste of jacket $$). My new favorite is the $18 Paradox jacket I got at Costco. That thing is almost too lightweight (very little warmth), but certainly waterproof and will pack easily. I also got them for my daughters because it's just such a great value.

On a side note - you'll see a lot of recommendations for fleece. It does make a wonderful layering piece. Just be warned that all fleece is not created equal. Some can be water repellent. It can also be a poor choice for windy days, as some is so breathable as to let the wind go right through.

I live in Alaska....if it rains, and I have to walk I use a raincoat that I bought in Costco's for $19.00...good looking...i can layer underneath it...I brought it to Europe as I was there in late fall, it worked there too, and it would work in a Florida summer rain storm too....In Anchorage it might be 75, in Fairbanks, it might be 90....the southeast, in the high 60's. Usually the rain is not hard like it is outside....it tends to be a lot more misty than pouring...but pouring can happen also. Don't worry....almost anything will be fine...:D

So there you go:

Look around at LLBean, REI, Eddie Bauer. (add .com)

I'd add Kohls (sometimes decent Columbia on sale).

And EMS.com. Try campmor.com for some occasional bargains.

Don't know your budget, but don't break the bank unless you can ; ) or will re use repeatedly, etc. This isn't Everest.

Bottom line, think layers and things that will work when wet. If you can spend to prevent wet for a few days on tour, go for it.

It will last you for a long time if you do, if you think you will need super protection at times going forward.

Edited by Burpelson

I'm sure you get cold weather with rain in the South. Only you know your tolerance to cold. I live in Southern California, but I have a low tolerance to cold. We have been to Alaska once in May (rain 6 days of the 7 day cruise) and again in August (cruisetour with rain sporadic but temps dropped below freezing as water puddles in driveways was ice in the morning).

My first trip I had an ankle length/faux fur lined hooded rain coat and was sure glad I did. It was warm and water resistant. For the second trip I listened to folks on this board and layered. I wore cuddle duds every day under sweatpants & sweatshirts, with a jacket similar to the pic. I took the jacket off on the coach rides, but used it everyday once off the coach. I don't really like all the layers, as they feel cumbersome to me.

I have even started using the full length coat here in California in the Winter months. So only you can make the choice of what will work for you.

coat.jpg.a6f57bcd14ccc0a37ecd092f156b2305.jpg

1024118625_fulllengthcoat.jpg.ca4ec0ed4263da9c7cfed9946a70500b.jpg

We are booked for our third Alaska cruise next August. The previous cruises were our very first ever cruise in 2003 and we returned again in 2008.

Both times I had too heavy a jacket. Living up here in the far North East of Scotland we are well used to cold and 4 seasons in one day so I was well prepared with gloves hat scarf and boots.

I have been follwing this thread with interest and it prompted me to start looking. I ordered online to Cragghoppers web site and we got compressed pack away jackets which are perfect. Light weight and so warm, with a hood. I also ordered a water proof light weight jacket too which has still to arrive from same company also.

The suggestions here have been so helpful and much appreciated. Ps I was very lucky to get everything with greatly reduced prices in the sale, Jean. ;)

We will be traveling to Alaska in Mid - July to take a Disney cruise. What kind of warm water proof coat would you recommend and wear would you purchase it? We live in the south and our winters are milder than ones up north.

Thanks,

Ironically when we went to Alaska the beginning of August a few years ago and at most of the stops it was very warm and a thin- windbreaker type jacket was more then enough- some days no jacket. I went to EMS sporting good store and purchased and carried clothing for a blizzard including ski pants lol! With the exception of going to a glacier, you need lighter clothes then you think. I would suggest a Northface medium weight jacket and if it happens to be cold, a couple of layers like a sweat shirt will do fine. Good to bring gloves and hiking type sneakers if you are going on an excursion to stand on a glacier. Have fun.

i bought one online at ll bean...

i'll find you the link..

it's very thin so that i can wear it at home (we also live in a hot climate), but i bought it big enough to layer fleece jackets underneath.

I had two fleece jackets to layer under it.

In the end, we had a heat wave the week of our cruise, and only a light drizzle the day before the cruise....so no need for anything..

but i'm sure had i not had it, there would have been a deluge

i also bought rain pants....ended up not needing them either, but my daughter did on her cruise a few years prior to ours..

editing to post the link:

i bought the trail model raincoat (it also comes in a jacket, but i prefer a coat for coverage) - it's also available in plus size, which is what i need :)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68165?feat=512920-GN2&page=trail-model-raincoat

and the train model rain pants (they slip over your regular pants for when it rains):

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68164?feat=trail%20model%20rain%20pants-SR0&page=trail-model-rain-pants&attrValue_0=Black&productId=1117643

i've ended up using the raincoat a lot at home...great for crazy downpours like we get!!! it's waterproof and breathes! and not too expensive....perfect!!

Edited by alaska_planner

For my rain pants, I went to Cabelas and got:

Frogg Toggs® Women's Pro Advantage Pants - $24.95

Very lightweight, pullups, pockets and elastic at the bottom.

They work very well for me when I need them.

Edited by travelbug11

I was in Alaska very early June. Near glaciers I wore long underwear, pants (jeans or water resistant travel pants depending on the activity), t-shirt, a tight fighting thin fleece, a thicker fleece, and an Eddie Bauer water proof raincoat. All the fleeces and jacket were full zippers, so easy to open for air if necessary. A wore a fleece hat and fleece gloves near the glaciers as well. Not near the glaciers, I wore anything from jeans and a t-shirt (ketchikan), added one fleece (most places), or my full get-up (watching glass blowing on the lawn of the Celebrity Solstice while the ship was underway).

Layers is the key. I would not recommend a heavy parka, as you will have much less flexibility to adapt as the weather changes.

If your 3 in 1 is light (i.e.weight wise and packing wise), layers can easily be added/removed and you will use it at home, then yes, it will work. I am not big on spending money on garments which will sit in your closet after your cruise. Have a great time!

Extremely useful information. Thanks to OP for asking this question and to the rest for providing feedback. It is especially helpful for those of us who live in warmer climates to know we don't have to go out and buy a big winter coat if we don't really need it all the time.